Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 4:34 AM
Default WCIF matching AL roof?
Hey guys,
I've recently reinstalled Sims 2 after not being able to play it for about a year and a half (RIP old PC) and have had to go on a major search quest to try and find all my favorite custom objects.

I can swear I used to have regular roofs that matched the mansard roofs that came with Apartment Life, but can't for the life of me find them online despite searching desperately. You'd think it would come with the game since there are regular roofs that match the Mansion & Garden mansards, but no.

So to clarify, I am looking for regular roofs that use the same colors and textures as the AL mansard roofs, shown below:

Help would be forever appreciated! Feet would be kissed. Cookies would be baked. Thank you.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 5:20 AM Last edited by Rosebine : 10th Mar 2018 at 5:33 AM.
Here you go!
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=309331 Not remotely.
(ZZzzzzzz)

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#3 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 5:31 AM
Alas. The feet kissing and cookie baking will have to be delayed as those are floor tiles NOT roofs. And I was already selling tickets...
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 5:32 AM
Ahahah! Oh boy! I need sleep. And anyway, I don't like cookies, I like sushi.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 5:51 AM
This set? http://www.feenwald.com/en/bau/bau_sonst.php

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 6:35 AM
I think those are just more of the roof pieces, Jo. The OP's looking for roof materials to match those on the roof pieces, so that you can use the materials on regular roofs. I think.

For the OP: The textures are the same, I think, as the "iron" roof that came with M&G(?) and the scalloped shingle roofs that came with the Storybook set? From OFB, I think? The textures are somewhat stretched on the mansard pieces, though, which is especially noticeable on the scalloped ones. There are recolors of both those roofs around. I did some of the scalloped roofs here, but I didn't make them to match the mansard roofs. That would be easy enough to do, though. And I have some recolors of the "iron" roof, although I don't know who made them. But perhaps if you search for recolors of those roofs?

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 5:55 PM
Yes, definitely recolors of Charcoal iron Roof, for both the green and yellow metal roof.

Mad Poster
#8 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 9:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Ahahah! Oh boy! I need sleep. And anyway, I don't like cookies, I like sushi.

OK I'll take the cookies...AND the sushi (although I've been reading about parasites in sushi now).
And no foot KISSING! yech. But I'll take a foot massage in exchange for some Reiki massage (I do that)

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Mar 2018 at 10:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I think those are just more of the roof pieces, Jo. The OP's looking for roof materials to match those on the roof pieces, so that you can use the materials on regular roofs. I think.

For the OP: The textures are the same, I think, as the "iron" roof that came with M&G(?) and the scalloped shingle roofs that came with the Storybook set? From OFB, I think? The textures are somewhat stretched on the mansard pieces, though, which is especially noticeable on the scalloped ones. There are recolors of both those roofs around. I did some of the scalloped roofs here, but I didn't make them to match the mansard roofs. That would be easy enough to do, though. And I have some recolors of the "iron" roof, although I don't know who made them. But perhaps if you search for recolors of those roofs?

Yes indeed, I wasn't looking for that extended roof piece set (although it's a fabulous addition to have, thank you so much), I am indeed looking for roof materials for regular standard roofs that would match the AL roof pieces (for builds where I want to use both mansard roof pieces and regular roofs).
Undead Molten Llama
#10 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 7:02 AM
I can see about taking the textures from the mansard pieces (or possibly those walls that Rosebine linked) and seeing if I can make roof material textures from those exact textures. It might not work, though, because making custom roof materials is kind of a pain in the booty, and getting scale precisely right to match other textures is difficult. If that doesn't work, I can make recolors of the aforementioned Maxis roofs to match the mansard pieces as well as possible. I am currently doing weekly uploads on my Tumblr (which is linked in my sig that I very much need to update), alternating between things people request and stuff I want to do for myself. I can put this on the list, if you like, assuming no one comes along with a link to someone who's already done this? There will be a few requested things ahead of you, though, so it might be a little while until I can get to it.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 12th Mar 2018 at 5:26 PM
I am not sure what is harder..the tricky way roof texture works? or the fact that their material definition is so different, that it is nearly impossible to get the same end result, even using the very same texture...
This is the BEST I could come up with, before I gave up...lol
Yuk..
Screenshots

Undead Molten Llama
#12 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 12:36 AM
@Rosebine
HAH! Roofs are very much a pain in the butt. I did a lot of fiddling with them about a year or so ago and figured out a lot about them. Part of that is here. I did eventually, through trial and error, figure out how to adjust the color in the texture so they display properly in-game, and I shared a PSD template that people can use to make custom roof texture images that automatically does this adjustment, which is here. BUT! I didn't figure out everything. One of the main things is that I haven't managed to make a vertically-oriented custom texture -- like those iron ones that you fiddled with -- that works properly on hipped roofs. I know exactly how the game constructs them -- as in, what bits of the textures image gets used to do so -- but even so all the ones I've tried don't work right, no matter how much I've fiddled with them. It's very frustrating.

So, that's why I'm hesitant to say that I can, without a doubt, do this for the OP -- especially those iron textures -- but I've put it on my request list so I'll give it a shot.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#13 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 1:09 AM
Interesting post iCad - I always thought it was because the game rendered the light differently for roofs but it looks like it changes the colour rendering too. Ugh - not a problem I'd want to wrestle with.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#14 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 1:32 AM
Interesting indeed..when you use Photoshop. I am still on PaintShop Pro, so when I do roof..I work HARD..or, I give up. lol

Undead Molten Llama
#15 Old 13th Mar 2018 at 1:51 AM Last edited by iCad : 13th Mar 2018 at 2:02 AM.
There is actually a mod that brightens roofs globally -- it's here on MTS somewhere -- but in my experimenting, I discovered that it doesn't make the roofs in-game match the color of the texture image exactly; it just makes them brighter in general. (I did a comparison here of mod vs. no mod, for the curious.) I wanted the roofs to look the same in-game as the textures I made. So, I faffed about with adjustment layers on the texture template I built until the colors displayed properly, compensating for the game's weird lighting without having to use a mod.

IIRC, it's a shader that governs how roofs display and that's what the mod alters, but I didn't like that the mod makes really dark roof materials pretty impossible. OTOH, it makes white roofs possible, which I suppose was nice, pre-Seasons, to emulate snow-covered roofs. But for me personally, I need dark/black roof materials much more than I need white/light ones, so I didn't want to use a shader mod and I DID want to be able to make recolors that displayed properly in-game. So, yeah, lots and lots of trial-and-error faffing.

EDIT: @Rosebine Yeah, that's pretty much how it is with roofs: You work on them until they make you cry and/or ragequit and then you don't want to look at them again for months. Well, that's how it is with me, anyway. That said, if you're feeling masochistic and are interested in the color-adjusting roof template...I think it's possible to save a Photoshop file in other formats that preserves the layers. Or, if all else fails, I can save each layer as a PNG plus give you the settings for the adjustment layers and the various layer blends and whatnot, and then you can compile all that into a layered PSP-format template to use.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 7:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
@Rosebine
HAH! Roofs are very much a pain in the butt. I did a lot of fiddling with them about a year or so ago and figured out a lot about them. Part of that is here. I did eventually, through trial and error, figure out how to adjust the color in the texture so they display properly in-game, and I shared a PSD template that people can use to make custom roof texture images that automatically does this adjustment, which is here. BUT! I didn't figure out everything. One of the main things is that I haven't managed to make a vertically-oriented custom texture -- like those iron ones that you fiddled with -- that works properly on hipped roofs. I know exactly how the game constructs them -- as in, what bits of the textures image gets used to do so -- but even so all the ones I've tried don't work right, no matter how much I've fiddled with them. It's very frustrating.

So, that's why I'm hesitant to say that I can, without a doubt, do this for the OP -- especially those iron textures -- but I've put it on my request list so I'll give it a shot.

At the moment I am mostly looking for the red scalloped roof (for a manor house build I'm working on), but would be thrilled to have the green iron as well of course. No worries if doesn't end up working out. Thank you so much for being willing to try, though! :lovestruc
Undead Molten Llama
#17 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 10:05 AM
I'm pretty certain the scalloped ones won't too much of a problem...but on the other hand I'm pretty sure the iron ones will be a problem because of issues with vertically-oriented custom roofs having issues with hipped roofs. That said, it might be possible to Photoshop up a recolor of the existing iron roof material that will mostly match the mansard pieces but might be different in small details. I'll need to fiddle with it. It might take me a bit to get to it all, but if you need the red one more quickly, I can probably get that one done sooner.