Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 7:18 PM
Default New to CC/Mods
Hey guys,
New here to any type of custom content and mode. I was wondering if there was any custom content or anything you like couldn't play without. I have Sims 3 and 4.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 1:37 AM
Bump! Anyone?
Scholar
#3 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 2:25 AM Last edited by Deestar : 9th Sep 2017 at 2:38 AM.
ArtiVitalex at TSR (Mostly Ikea/Pottery Barn style furnishings) My fave set is the Stockholm Bedroom. I have every recolor made of this set and have done some of my own)
Anything by 13Pumpkin-- she is r at Sims Pearls and Hell has Spoken -- she has done a ton of 2-4 and 3-4 conversions and has begun meshing on her own. (She mostly does Restoration Hardware/Urban Industrial style objects)
Anything byPeacemaker-IC - he does absolutely gorgeous MCM furnishings.. also does walls, floors male clothes and hair
Anything by OM at Sims 4 Studio (this has held true since Sims 2, I have everything they did with Steffor over at Avalon and everything they did at Indigo for Sims 3) (shabby chic, Oriental, modern)
Anything by Daeron at Sims 4 Studio (Modern, Urban Industrial, Grunge, Restoration Hardware)
Anything by Kiwisims at Sims 4 Studio (Urban Industrial, Mid-Century Modern, Restoration Hardware)
Anything by ShinoKCR at TSR (Shabby Chic, Urban Industrial, Modern, Restoration Hardware)
Anything by Severinka at TSR (Anything and everything- lots of clutter)
Anything by Sentate at TSR (he has some things here at MTS for Sims 2 and 3 if you want to go look at what his style is for clothing)
Anything by Coolsims/Anto at TSR
Anything by Screaming Mustard at TSR (makeup)
Anything by S-Club Privee at TSR (makeup, jewelry, hair)
Anything by Wondymoon at TSR(Urban Industrial and Restoration Hardware)
Anything by Onyxsims (Clothes, mostly modern and mid century objects)
Anything by Kiara Zurk she does hair, clothes, makeup, and accessories but you have to be careful with her site- she has some pretty aggressive ad's and very aggressive adfly links-- if you don't really like Maxis Match hairs you might want to avoid the site.
I did not provide links to Sims 4 Studio- not sure if registration is needed to see content but they also have a lot of tutorials for making your own CC and one of the two main programs used for making CC.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 7:41 AM
Nraas mods for 3. Other than that we all play totally different games. Cruise here and elsewhere and get what appeals to you. If 100 people answer you will be told 100 different things. Shop what is available and decide what you want in your game.
Theorist
#5 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 7:50 AM
Daisylee is right, mods are really a personal thing. You can ask every single perosn on theis website what mods they like, but the chances of getting someone with the exact same preferences as you? They're slim.

I mean, it would help a bit if you know what you like! What kind of player are you? What kind of criticisms do you have for the game(s)? What areas do you think could be improved? What do you feel is missing? What annoys you? What do you think is done well? What do you want more of? What do you want to be built on? It's best to ask yourself these questions, then just browse the downloads page for hours! xD
Scholar
#6 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 6:02 PM Last edited by aparkison : 9th Sep 2017 at 6:57 PM.
I think it really depends if you're super Maxis Match, like Alpha content, or are okay with semi-realistic, somewhat Alpha content in your game (like English vs. Simlish for example). I'm playing a lower custom content game now that's very strictly Maxis Match.

My only recommendations right now would be Peacemaker-ic and Litttle Cakes. I don't use much of Peacy's stuff anymore, but I love his plants, his seating and his build mode items. Kate doesn't have a lot of custom content, but what she has fits in well with the game's aesthetic.

I never use anything from T$R. It's just not my style. And I don't use too many converted items anymore, because most of them don't fit the game's style.

ETA: I can't believe that I forgot Brazen Lotus. Her separated Maxis items are the best.
Theorist
#7 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 6:39 PM Last edited by ShigemiNotoge : 9th Sep 2017 at 6:50 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by aparkison
I think it really depends if you're super Maxis Match, like Alpha content, or are okay with semi-realistic, somewhat Alpha content in your game (like English vs. Simlish for example).

The greatest part about this is someone who is new to modding has no idea what any of those mean 8D

I never use anything from T$R. It's just not my style. And I don't use too many converted items anymore, because most of them don't fit the game's style.

To be fair, this is more true for clothing and hair than it is for objects. Also there are SO many creators on TSR that you ARE going to find a variety of stiles there. You just have to do a lot of browsing.

That being said, there are much more realistic, important reasons why using The Sims Resource is unfavourable. The site is littered with ads that make it run slower than a diabetic turtle, and turning them off results in a full minute wait to download each item. That is of course unless you want to pay for a membership. In addition, they have very little quality control for their content. It might look great but it could be completely broken, enabled for the wrong category, gender, or age group, have missing meshes or broken recolours, the list goes on. On top of that, there's no real way to contact the creators about their content that may be broken or give proper feedback, and as far as I'm aware, the site has no place for general customer/player support either.
Scholar
#8 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 6:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
The greatest part about this is someone who is new to modding has no idea what any of those mean 8D

To be fair, this is more true for clothing and hair than it is for objects. Also there are SO many creators on TSR that you ARE going to find a variety of stiles there. You just have to do a lot of browsing.

That being said, there are much more realistic, important reasons why using The Sims Resource is unfavourable. The site is littered with ads that make it run slower than a diabetic turtle, and turning them off results in a full minute wait to download each item. That is of course unless you want to pay for a membership. In addition, they have very little quality control for their content. It might look great but it could be completely broken, enabled for the wrong category, gender, or age group, have missing meshes or broken recolours, the list goes on. On top of that, there's no real way to contact the creators about their content that may be broken or give proper feedback, and as far as I'm aware, the site has no place for general customer/player support either.

True. I just assume most people have some idea from following other players.

I have an extension for Chrome that disables the wait at T$R if I did want something. Actually I'm cleaning out some more stuff and I do have some curtain and window add-ons that Mutske made, but they're for Maxis things, so I guess I forgot about them (plus judging by the date, I've had them for eons).

As for quality control, that goes for a lot of custom content, to be honest. A lot of Simblrs that create custom content don't allow anon messages, or they don't answer them, so that can be really annoying. I preview everything in Sims 4 Studio (check poly count, LODs and so on), because that way there's no surprise when I go in game.
Theorist
#9 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 7:15 PM
I have an extension for Chrome that disables the wait at T$R if I did want something.

Well of course I have that, too! but not everyone does! xD
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 12:01 AM
Thank you so much! All this info was really helpful