Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 7:15 PM
Default The Sims 4 vs. full-3D The Sims 1
The Sims 4 has always reminded me somewhat of the old-school zanyness and the weird but amusing vibes of The Sims. They kind of went back to the roots of the franchise to create a simpler, more accessible game in favour of a complex and in-depth one, and that's a pretty good idea by itself.
So imagine my SURPRISE when I came across this: A new, fan-made version of TS1, re-imagined in full 3D using automatically generated 3D data. And I'm not kidding, that's a real thing now.

I can't be the only one who immediately thought of TS4 here. The new look to the game TOTALLY resembles TS4, especially with the sleek low-density UI (which was originally designed for phones). It's like TS1 and TS4 had a baby, and that's kind of a huge deal if you grew up with TS1, or if you didn't but have always wanted to try it out.
So I just wanted to know if you guys
A) have seen it,
B) are excited about it, and most importantly,
C) if TS4 makes you want to play this.
I sure as hell know what I'll be doing for the rest of the week.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 7:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
So I just wanted to know if you guys
A) have seen it,
B) are excited about it, and most importantly,
C) if TS4 makes you want to play this.

A) Someone posted about this here before I think
B) I am indifferent to it, but mildly curious
C) TS4 makes me want to play anything that isn't TS4
Instructor
#3 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 8:01 PM
I'd play it over TS4, if only for the music and sound effects alone.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 8:21 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 6th Sep 2017 at 9:08 PM.
I'd play it if you didn't have to compile the damn thing yourself. It'll run the useless TSO version just like that, but to play TS1 you need to have a degree in GitHubonomy.
So I've gotta ask - how the hell do you compile a GitHub repository? Or better yet, how do you get the devs to do it for you?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
#5 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 6:47 AM
I don't know how you're able to compare the two. I miss TS1's difficulty in almost every sims game. Only TS2 came close in really simulating how everyday life can be a real struggle, but not close enough for my taste because you can become rich in it in a heartbeat, too. TS 4 is like the total opposite. Way too easy to reach any goal.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 8:09 AM
I found out TS2 is the easiest and TS1 is the hardest. Not to mention to spam dig for treasure and you will get some treasure chests that worth 5000 simoleons.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 11:41 AM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 7th Sep 2017 at 12:08 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Kompaktive
I found out TS2 is the easiest and TS1 is the hardest. Not to mention to spam dig for treasure and you will get some treasure chests that worth 5000 simoleons.

I've never played TS4 long enough to get a good idea of how easy or hard it is, but I do know that making money in TS3 was ridiculously easy both times I've tried it. And from what I've heard and seen, TS4 isn't much different.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#8 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 1:37 PM
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 1:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
With PC version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EDkIpAZbpE

That's actually FreeSO. The one you DON'T want, the online version. I've tried it, and I can confidently say that it sucks.
Besides the fact that I couldn't get the 3D mode working outside of "Sandbox Mode", it crashed every time I tried to load a lot and there was nothing to do the only time it didn't crash.
So until I figure out how to get Simitone (the offline version) to work, I guess all there is to it is to mess around with the Sandbox Mode in FreeSO.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 1:54 PM
Anyway, I've played the Sandbox Mode of FreeSO a bit and it was pretty cool. Looks good too, if you don't zoom in too far. Apologies for the Sim not having a head.

insert signature here
Theorist
#11 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 3:14 PM
Thanks for posting this. I'm super hyped at the prospect of a 3D Ts1.
I tried the 3D freeso last night and i couldn't rotate the camera at all. Anyway I am mainly interested in offline play so I might try and compile the Simitone. They have already extended the game, you can now go up to 5 floors and theres distant terrain when you're on a lot. I wonder if this new 3D Ts1 could even rival Ts3 if it has its own mods and cc...

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
I tried the 3D freeso last night and i couldn't rotate the camera at all. Anyway I am mainly interested in offline play so I might try and compile the Simitone. They have already extended the game, you can now go up to 5 floors and theres distant terrain when you're on a lot. I wonder if this new 3D Ts1 could even rival Ts3 if it has its own mods and cc...

Exactly, the potential of this is insane. These "simple" changes have essentially opened TS1 up to elevate it from an obsolete, irrelevant thing to being a genuine alternative to TS2, 3 and 4. It feels like that, anyway.
I very much wish I knew how to compile Simitone, because this sandbox version of FreeSO isn't doing it for me.
Still, I just played with it for some 45 minutes and it's really enjoyable once you get used to it. Made a video out if it too - I'll post it here once it's done uploading.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#13 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 3:34 PM
I thought FreeSO has been sued by EA.
https://simsvip.com/2017/08/11/upda...due-legalities/
Theorist
#14 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 3:46 PM
Only for 3D Ts1 on mobile. The other versions are ok apparently.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 4:08 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 7th Sep 2017 at 4:18 PM.
As promised, my own gameplay footage. For those of you unwilling to go through the (sizeable) effort of setting it up yourself.

Also note how there's 3D grass. Suck it, every other Sims game.

insert signature here
Theorist
#16 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 4:33 PM
15 seconds in and you zoom out. Woah, :lovestruc now THAT's a lot! This in TS4, please!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 4:45 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 7th Sep 2017 at 5:08 PM.
It's a 64x64. TS4 has those, albeit only a few. The only difference here is that you can build up to the edge.

Now HERE'S something you can't do in TS4.

Can't do this either.

insert signature here
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 7:02 PM
Sims 1 was by far the hardest to play, just to keep their plumbobs out of the red.

Sims 2, I think, got the balance right - still hard, but not quite as grueling.

The balance keeps getting easier and easier as the game generations go by.
Instructor
#19 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 10:59 PM
Looks nice. Almost better than TS4, I might say.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 7th Sep 2017 at 11:51 PM
Makes me want an authentic TS1 remaster.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 12:52 AM
I highly doubt it'd beat this version.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#22 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 9:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
That's actually FreeSO. The one you DON'T want, the online version. I've tried it, and I can confidently say that it sucks.
Besides the fact that I couldn't get the 3D mode working outside of "Sandbox Mode", it crashed every time I tried to load a lot and there was nothing to do the only time it didn't crash.
So until I figure out how to get Simitone (the offline version) to work, I guess all there is to it is to mess around with the Sandbox Mode in FreeSO.

I know, but still. UI is close/suitable for PC, so I though it would be a better example because it originated from pc master race.

I had played FreeSo, a few months until I got bored. Not gonna rant and go off-topic, but to keep short - I liked the idea of online-multiplayer mode for TS series, but only If it's executed properly. Right now that games feel shallow for the reasons I have in mind.

As for the topic... (await for my next reply).
Mad Poster
#23 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 10:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mondenkind
I don't know how you're able to compare the two. I miss TS1's difficulty in almost every sims game. Only TS2 came close in really simulating how everyday life can be a real struggle, but not close enough for my taste because you can become rich in it in a heartbeat, too. TS 4 is like the total opposite. Way too easy to reach any goal.

I thought that the difficulty was in the wrong places in TS1- it takes too long to get the basic needs fulfilled.

I think a life simulator should make it relatively easy to fulfill basic survival needs to an extent (the subconscious at work)- but certain other needs like aspirations, psychological state and happiness should be harder to achieve and maintain. That's why I liked TS2 over TS1 for that aspect- and wished latter games had that difficulty.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 11:18 AM
Nothing personal, but I really didn't get the hype/deal about this and I'm not sure how to contribute to this thread (I mihht probably didn't get the insight or have one myself. Yeah, I can see why everybody likes (myself included) and amazed (but not really) how the camera turned from TS1-TS2alike. Nice that there is TS4 interface, but other than that it doesn't change the gameplay. Yes, I haven't played the original "The Sims", so maybe I missed something from here (I did play woth its engine's system through FreeSO).

I'm not really suprised by what the fan did, but I'm not denying they (developer or developerS?) put a lot of efforts into bring the 3D camera style. I always believe that the fanbase can be pretty much do anything, If they open minds to it. Also, we know better what we consumers than what company itself knows about our dreams. Ok, I think I'm driftinh off from the topic, soooooo..... k lol bye.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 12:17 PM
Anyway - I just got in touch with the dev asking for instructions on how to install Simitone. Here's what I was told, summarized in a short tutorial:
  1. Go here, download "Release.zip".
  2. Unzip it wherever you want it.
  3. Create a shortcut for "Simitone.Windows.exe" and add "-3d" to the end of it's target path.

Build/Buy and CAS don't work yet, but you can use your regular TS1 to do these things. Simitone uses the save data from your TS1 install, after all.

insert signature here
Page 1 of 2