Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th May 2014 at 11:01 PM
Default Starter house (the first I've built)
Hi I've built a simple starter house in a 10x15 lot, and I'd like to upload it here at MTS.
Only basegame itens were used, and it has only one bathroom and one bedroom.
And it's not so much decorated because I wanted to keep its price as low as possible.

But this is the first starter house I've made, and I wanted to know what I could change
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 30th May 2014 at 2:55 PM
Hi,
I think that you should play a little more with the architecture. I would try to change the shape of the house a little to make it more interesting. Now it is too squareish so it doesnt look very pretty from the outside up to me.

Houses for upload should have something special to offer. Something original which would make them stand out from the crowd and I cant see that "something" in your house yet. I would suggest to look at starters from other creators or pictures of real houses to find some inspiration.

Good luck!!!
Forum Resident
#3 Old 30th May 2014 at 4:07 PM Last edited by shmovese : 30th May 2014 at 4:08 PM. Reason: spelling...
Hi,
I dont think that the shape of your house is problematic. In fact, I prefer "boxy" houses for playing by myself cause one can make better use of the space available. (which is even more important for starter houses in my opinion)
but in fact you can improve the look ouf your house on the outside with simple means like
giving it a bit more shape by using e.p. wall sets to create a more realistic looking trim at the bottom and/or at the edges

the same applies to the inside. maybe structuring the big room in the first story would be nice by
using tiles for the kitchen section (on walls and floor)
also i have no idea how close you are to the budget cut for starter homes but
some paintings are always a nice addition to make blank walls look more interesting

i am no big fan of the halfwalls being too close to the entrance cause sims can get stuck easily when having guests. but thats a problem related to the actual game style then.
all in all i find this a good house so far that can be made more awesome of course with simple little tweaks. but really well done so far

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th May 2014 at 9:11 PM
Hello again I will try to change its "boxy" shape, and about the kitchen tiles, when I was looking the screenshots, after quiting the game, I've started to think that I should have give a kitchen look to this kitchen lol
But about deco stuff, I was afraid of getting a too expensive starter house, with this all construction and furniture it was costing more or less than 12000 simoleons...
Inventor
#5 Old 31st May 2014 at 6:31 AM
Ahh... starter houses! I spent weeks and months creating starter houses. As for the price of the house you could save a lot of money if you reduced the amount of lamps. I see 4 in the bedroom and 5 in the kitchen/living room. Only place lamps where needed and useful for the look of the room, then add the invisible lights (those from the buydebug menu) to give the rooms more light.

Half-walls (actually all walls) cost extra money and kitchen counters are expensive too. Keep the kitchen small - additional counters could be added later if the sim has earned some money. Btw. first what sim guests see is the kitchen. I'd exchange kitchen and living room parts. It's not such a big problem if the house has no pictures and decoration, however, if you have some money left place curtains and plants to spice the house up a bit.

I think you did a good job so far. Try different patterns for the outside and inside walls and different roof colours - take screenshots and have a look at the house later. Sometimes it takes time to see what colour/pattern is best for the house. I'd also suggest to rearrange windows and/or try other windows. Also try to find a more interesting roofing. The front of the house looks nice but the rear side looks very boxy. A tree or bush at the rear side might help to "fix" that.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 31st May 2014 at 1:42 PM
Squircle put up a tutorial on how to save money when building houses. maybe you want to take a look at it. he also moved it to the wiki
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title..._Smaller_Houses

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 6:54 AM
Hi I've made some changes in the house. Yesterday I was looking the old pics, and thought that was better to build the kitchen on another place. I've changed the walls tiles from the inside too (there's no shoot from the inside of second floor because the cameraman mode decided to be mean with me ).
And I was forgetting completely about those buydebug lights! Thanks, @Yogi-Tea. I've reduced the number of lamps too.
I think that the region outsides the backdoor is a little weird, but I had to do that because it was the only way to get the stairs there :P
And now it's costing 14.300 simoleons
Field Researcher
#8 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 7:12 AM
Hi! Let's see here. First off, I think you only need one column in the back. I think the wooden contempo one would look better with your build. It would be nice for the side to have a few windows. I'd like to see maybe a few somewhat larger windows? I like the small ones but some larger ones would be nice too. Or maybe I just am used to my modern homes, but I don't mean that much bigger. Also, maybe you could add a few really cheap deco items. Like that small hedge is only like ten simoleons or something, as it looks like you have money to spare. Maybe you could even put a double bed in or at least a bunk bed instead.

Oh, and yes I like its overall look! It looks much better .
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#9 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 7:55 AM
Great improvements on the house and congrats on finishing your first starter house! It's looking much more interesting with your improvements, but I think you can do more
- Leaving a budget of §500 is more than enough for the first couple of days, so I would suggest to spend those §2000 you still have left! I agree with simsgal, invest in a double bed and a couple of deco items, and maybe even some landscaping. §2000 can stretch far when spend wisely, which you can because you built a starter
- Try to decide on a style and decorate/CASt towards that. I really like the shape of the house, but I think you can give it more character through decoration. Go have a look at the Trading Spaces contest for inspiration. Each of the contestants are given a particular style to decorate with, and although of course some of them would be a little over-the-top for normal/realistic looking houses, it might give you a couple of ideas on how to make your house more unique.
Nitpicky stuff:
- You're missing wallpaint on the side of the lower roof. Maybe change the roof on the bit that sticks out at the back a gable roof to make the roof more interesting.
- The overhangs look a bit unsupported now, as in, in RL I wouldn't feel comfortable to sit underneah them (then again, I'm quite paranoid!) At the back of the house, you could move the stairs one tile to the left and put one of the columns on the right side of the stairs to balance it out. Same goes for the front. When using a combination of moveobjects on and pressing down the ALT-key when placing the columns, you can fiddle with the placement, they don't have to be in the middle of the tile.
- Put some terrain paint underneath/around the house, that will make the house blend in more with the terrain.
Have fun :D
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 8:00 PM
Hello again now I've changed the wall tiles from the outside, and I've moved the front walls one tile forward, for getting more space inside. Now there's space for a double bed again, and I could put a desk on the upper hallway, and some deco too
It's costing +/- 15.500 simoleons now.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 9th Jun 2014 at 1:59 PM
i really like your changes (floor and wall tiles for kitchen and the outer appearance of the house with a stony trim). its a really sweet and cozy house now!
the only really small thing i would change after moving in would be to make the bathroom reachable from the bedroom too - so from both sides - for moar effective time saving playing. but the ways are still so small in such a cute house that its not something with high priority if a single sims lives in there. but as soon as the first party takes place i would really want a second in and out possibillity for the bathroom ;-)

oh and congrats for this house!

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 11:05 PM
Hi again about the bathroom, originally it had two doors (one going to the bedroom, and one to the hallway), but I've removed it beacause there was no space for it... But now I've expanded the bathroom, and changed its tiles too (for matching the shower), and now it has space enough for two doors, and all the furniture inside it And I've worked a little on the backyard too...
Screenshots
Scholar
#13 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 1:41 AM
I think this house has come along beautifully. I really like the changes you've made.
That shade of blue works perfectly with the bathroom. Especially with the tile you've chosen.

If I was to suggest anything, it would be to CASt that bit that sits atop the columns on the back porch.
It's the second-story floor. The "sides" of the floors get exposed if there isn't a wall covering them.
With some finagling, you can get it to disappear. When I cast mine, I usually have to darken whatever colour I use,
and also increase the saturation just a touch. And then it usually matches pretty good.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 7:38 AM
your bathroom solution is awesome. such a "small" rearrangement that is going to improve gameplay notably in your house! (LOL i love the park bench for the backyard! totally see my wannabee hobos napping there) zZz

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 12:53 PM Last edited by bellakenobi : 20th Jun 2014 at 2:09 PM.
I've corrected the "sides" of the floor , and CASTed the columns using the same pattern that was used in the stairs.
I've also changed the windows at the living room.
I want to change the roof tiles too, but I don't know which one matchs better...
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#16 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 6:21 AM
I prefer the dark brown roof .
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Jun 2014 at 10:46 PM Last edited by bellakenobi : 25th Jun 2014 at 7:31 AM.
Well, after all these changes, I think it's good enough to upload
Thanks to everyone who helped me with this house. And wish me luck

EDIT: Does anyone has a sugestion for its name? I'm very bad with names, and I'm almost calling it "Starter House 01"

EDIT 2: I've got a name!

I'm bad at finding CC on my own
My simblr
I'm shy and so I might take longer to reply you '-'