Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th May 2014 at 11:57 PM
Default Casa de Lujo
I was hoping someone could tell me if this is upload worthy? Anything I should improve? Add? Change?

Lot Size: 40 x 38
Furnished: 108,200
Unfurnished: 75,643

(Trees have been added to the side of the house since this)

I tried to restrict myself to JUST Base Game and Showtime objects. If you see anything from Pets (the only other EP I have) let me know.

And uh... yeah... I was going for a Spanish Colonial type architecture. Basically being based off the door/windows set. And then I mainly wanted contemporary furnishing to give it that... homey/liveable feel and not just some magazine lay out... Backyard feels kinda empty and I'm debating adding a hot/tub pool. But also... I kinda wanna save it for a horse or two for when my sims actually move in there.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 30th May 2014 at 7:59 AM
I'm no good with architecture, so no opinions there, but it looks to me like everything is straight out of the EA-catalog regarding color and patterns. I think it would spice things up immensely, if you played around with CAST.
just a girl
#3 Old 31st May 2014 at 7:05 PM
Agree with Tigerdyhr about textures. And I don't know so much about Spanish Colonial type architecture, but I really miss some roof. Red roof, I'd say. Anyway, even if you don't change the house, I'd suggest to work on landscape some more. Yes, pool would be nice, and if you'd like to save space, try playing with grass paint, a few trees wouldn't hurt either.
Inventor
#4 Old 31st May 2014 at 9:53 PM
I have to agree with both comments above mine. Play around with CASt a little, your build will look more unique if you chose different patterns and colours. Yes, it IS a lot of work to change everything with CASt but this is why some people like to create and upload stuff while others prefer not to and just download. If you don't feel like playing around with colours and patterns, take a break and get back to your lot if you're in the right mood for it. This is how I create my houses. I have many builds and some of them take me a long time to finish. I'm lazy... sometimes.

Not sure what kind of architecture that is but I actually like the look of it. Would like to see it with different patterns, though. What bothers me a bit is that the lot is quite huge while the house itself uses only half of it. It really needs a nice frontyard, a nice backyard and - since the lot is so big - a lot more landscaping done. The layout could be improved a little, some rooms have too much unused space, e.g. the children's bedrooms, the hallway on the 2nd floor. The kitchen is huuuge, too (and seems to have no direct connection to the dining room?). The way you furnished the rooms is very nice, I especially like the master bedroom and the living room.

Last but not least... Screenshots are best taken at daylight and to avoid ugly gridlines you could go into build mode --> terrain paint mode. Also, if you take screenshots of the floorplans, make sure to zoom in so that the floorplan fills the whole picture. The ones you added are too much zoomed out so that not all details can be seen.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 4:10 PM
I've been holding back from saying anything because I didn't trust myself but....

A little under half the furniture is CASted. I just went for subtle rather then over the top. I don't like busy patterns. The only room that doesn't have anything at all CASted is the bedroom with the twin bed. But, fine, whatever, I'll CASt more of the furniture.

The nursery and the hallway were left spare on purpose. I haven't decided what I want to do with the hallway yet. The kid's room I left spare because there isn't much in the base game for children at all and most of what I have is CC, which I don't want to put into this house because I personally don't like it when people do that. Besides, I was going for gender neutral.

I already said I added trees to the side yards.
Scholar
#6 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 5:02 PM
A general rule that I've noticed all the successful lot creators on this site follow is to CAS everything.
Even if you're not going to CAS everything, I really think you should CAS the windows to make them match the woodwork of the rooms that they are for, especially in the blue bedroom. I would also highly suggest playing about with the CASting of the floors and the staircase as well.
I really like the style of the exterior of the house, but I would suggest replacing the roof fencing with a half-wall covered in the same wall covering as the walls below to add a little bit more height to the exterior.
Potentially, you've got quite a gem of a creation on your hands, it just needs some more polishing.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 10:14 PM Last edited by Saracirce : 2nd Jun 2014 at 2:23 AM.
Shoved a different roof on the house, added a covered drive, and did a little bit of landscaping but it's still a WIP. Haven't messed with the inside of the house at all.

Also, new floor plan pictures. I thought the idea behind these pictures was just to see the layout but... okay.

Field Researcher
#8 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 3:24 AM
Hi, I really think your changes are much improved!

I think a second story porch in the back would look really cool on house house! Also, some flowers and bushes around the path to the hot tub. It also looks like there's more than enough room to add a pool. But technically, the hot tub isn't base game... A covered kinda thing would look cool over the hot tub.

Some more randomness with the flowers in the back would be nice as well. You don't need the same plants next to each other like that. Maybe some bushes in between, and the small rocks. That's what I can see for now!
Instructor
#9 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 3:40 AM
The house looks better. I believe you can go for a more terra-red colour for the wall. The house looks rather symmetrical so I believe you can add a side extension to make it look more natural. The corridor in the second photo looks empty. I think you can add some seating.

And I agree that the hot tub should be covered.
Perhaps if you have Uni Life, you can add a bonfire outside and paint some dirt with the small brush under the fire.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 4:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsgal2227
Hi, I really think your changes are much improved!

I think a second story porch in the back would look really cool on house house! Also, some flowers and bushes around the path to the hot tub. It also looks like there's more than enough room to add a pool. But technically, the hot tub isn't base game... A covered kinda thing would look cool over the hot tub.

Some more randomness with the flowers in the back would be nice as well. You don't need the same plants next to each other like that. Maybe some bushes in between, and the small rocks. That's what I can see for now!

I know the hot tub isn't base game. It's showtime. This is a showtime oriented house (Hint: the windows/doors are showtime exclusive). I also said the plants by the wall are placeholders as I wanted opinions on if I should go with the individual raised plant beds or the raised plant beds up against a fence that would surround the whole yard. Please actually read my text.

The balcony on the back of the house is a good idea.

@SimsMatthew: I don't have UniLife. As I said in the first post. I'm sticking to only Showtime and Base Game items. As was also said in the first post.
Inventor
#11 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 8:53 PM
I very much like the way the front of the house looks now. Good idea and well done!

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing last time when I gave you feedback - it's rather unusual to place kitchen counters in front of a window of that size. Suggestion: You could remove the counters from the right side and place a counter island (?) in the middle of the kitchen instead. Might worth to test out how it looks and if it works well the kitchen had less unused space.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 11:39 PM Last edited by Saracirce : 3rd Jun 2014 at 12:01 AM.
EDIT: nevermind. Game crashed before I could save
Inventor
#13 Old 4th Jun 2014 at 5:23 PM
Owww... I'm so sorry for you. Hope you didn't lose too much.