Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 5:57 AM
Default Is this good?
I was wondering if the house I built in The Sims 3 was good enough to maybe upload somewhere. Now, I will probably not upload it, but I kind of want to see people's opinions on it.
Please, criticism is accepted, tell me some suggestions.
Is the floor plan wise? Is the house pretty on both inside and out?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 6:48 AM Last edited by simsgal2227 : 5th Jun 2014 at 6:59 AM.
Hmm, I would like to mention something for you before I go to bed, but I'm sure I will be missing stuff. Right off the bat, the purple bed at the top left is not accessible for a sim on the left side. I'd just delete the blue room and make the purple room the master with a seating area. I'm also not sure about the colors you used. I love colors don't get me wrong, but I don't think really bright colors suit your build. Tone your colors done and stick to a few main ones throughout your build.

It's a little strange how the dining room is so far from the kitchen. I'd switch the places of that and the office.

I also don't think the roofed thing in the back looks right and it could use some deco, though I can't tell too much based on your pictures. It would help to see more pictures. Some more landscaping would be nice as well. Trees, flowers, bushes.

You really do have a great start though, don't be discouraged! With a bit of help, this could be a lovely home .

Oh, and it's also best to take pictures during the day in summer/spring. I'm sure that's just what it is in the game, but you can either cheat to change the season and weather then bring it back, or have a save especially for building. Then it's faster to load. Personally I do the former because when taking pictures I like to see stuff in the background and to find a place for the house in my world. But a separate save is quite handy. There's even a builder's island here that is meant just for building that loads very fast.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 11:07 AM
here is a builders island made by armiel (base game compatible of course) for easy access to get you to "work" LOL http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=403308

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 12:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsgal2227
Hmm, I would like to mention something for you before I go to bed, but I'm sure I will be missing stuff. Right off the bat, the purple bed at the top left is not accessible for a sim on the left side. I'd just delete the ff in the background and to find a place for the house in my world. But a separate save is quite handy. There's even a builder's island here that is meant just for building that loads very fast.

I actually was playing in this save here. That's why some people were in the beds at the time. And thanks, some great suggestions.

Okay, the builder's island looks pretty cool!
I'll be putting up new pictures in a little. I'm kinda lazy, right now.
Scholar
#5 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 1:01 PM
It looks good, although one thing I'd suggest you work on is the roofing. Especially this section:

I think it really needs to be made more coherent all the way around on this level. I'd suggest using the hipped half-gable all the way around so that they all link up properly. I think the roofing of the level above this is perfectly fine though.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 1:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fergus' Mind
It looks good, although one thing I'd suggest you work on is the roofing. Especially this section:

I think it really needs to be made more coherent all the way around on this level. I'd suggest using the hipped half-gable all the way around so that they all link up properly. I think the roofing of the level above this is perfectly fine though.

I will totally work on that
Thanks everyone!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 1:32 PM

Yay! Here's some updated pictures!
Edit:
Wow, just tabbed out of my game for ONE SECOND!
And, my Sims are screaming at a fire.
In the house I just built, renovated, renovated again, then renovated.
Wow. Good thing it's only the living room! :p
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#8 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 5:18 PM
wait you are playing in the house you build...LOL...really...
without the sims forgetting their food in the microwave oven (setting the house on fire) you would probably have a better EDITOR kind of feeling. maybe thats also why the weather takes place. i got it know!
okay you know everyone has its own way for being creative - if it helps you seeing your sims watching TV once in a while you leave the build mode - why not.

but thats really not the easiest way one can built a house. but entertaining really funny.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Jun 2014 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shmovese
wait you are playing in the house you build...LOL...really...
without the sims forgetting their food in the microwave oven (setting the house on fire) you would probably have a better EDITOR kind of feeling. maybe thats also why the weather takes place. i got it know!
okay you know everyone has its own way for being creative - if it helps you seeing your sims watching TV once in a while you leave the build mode - why not.

but thats really not the easiest way one can built a house. but entertaining really funny.

Hehe, I know. I am a decent builder, but I sometimes like to play. It's kinda easy for me- in a way.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 6th Jun 2014 at 11:27 AM
as i said: there are no rules at all for being creative, really awesome i learned something new

i always fail when building roofs. but i have a strong feeling you could do better. by now the roofing secion above the entrance looks "wrong". maybe another roof type would be better. maybe you even could extent the roofing to catch up with the left sides roof. so that you end up with a canopied/covered entrance area? only a suggestion of course

and i would like the house even more with some landscaping. just some bushes or self-made planters for flowers can mean a lot. - especially cause you already have a bohemian touch in your backyard.