Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Sep 2015 at 3:56 PM
Default How did you end up playing sims?
Hey everyone, I don't know about you, but I have played all of the sims, from the classic Sim City to the Sims 3. (I can't afford Sims 4 at the moment)

So, I started playing the sims because I was introduced to Sim City by my brother who heard about it from school at the time, and I was pretty bored with it. Soon afterwards, my brother bought Sims 2 Castaway which I absolutely fell in love with and my brother completely hated. This is perfectly normal because whenever my brother really wants a game for a long time and then finally gets it, he gets bored of it and I often end up loving it. Sometimes vice versa.

The point is, I was wondering how the majority of people were introduced to the sims in the first place and which sims game it was they first ever played. So, yeah. How you were introduced to the sims?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 22nd Sep 2015 at 4:50 PM
I first heard about the Sims when I was little, Brother often played it on the PC, For some reason he'd often kill Sims for fun... I wasn't a fan of his choices very much. He also then got the Sims 1 on the PS2 which he'd often Create my family and try to build the house.
Never played another Sims game until 2009 When I brought The Sims 3 and Sims 1 Complete Collection. During 2012 I got a Xbox Classic with the Sims Bustin' Out. And The Sims 3 Pets on 360 a little later. (Let me be honest, I only have 2 out of 5 familys with pets on it)

Fun thing is I only just got the Sims 2 Complete Collection and, Sims 4. (Not too fond of)
Alchemist
#3 Old 22nd Sep 2015 at 5:35 PM
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 5:34 AM
I played SimCity (the old one), SimCity 2000, Sim Earth & Sim Ants from a CD that came along with the time my father gave me Playstation 2 for my 13th birthday. Pretty sure it's a bootleg CD, though. Then I bought SimCity4 and realized how terrible I am at making money for my cities. Sure, I can set zones & manage land value, but I just can't make money for my cities.

I never cared for the Sims (the people sims) until I watched the Robbaz Sims 3 series. And Rome 2 was a grand failure & a betrayal to all the long time Total War fans & I was dying from micromanagement withdrawals. So I was like "What the hell, I guess playing virtual dollhouse would do. There are bunchloads of mods for Sims 3 anyway". About a year later, I was like "Well, maybe I want to spice things up with weird scenarios & relationships" I think I understand why some women in highschool or early college years like to date working men now...
Mad Poster
#5 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 5:49 AM
I found a copy in a dumpster out back of the local game store and thought the box art looked cool.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Test Subject
#6 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 3:26 PM
How I got introduced to sims.
Well, I first got interested when I was over at my cousin's house, we were just chilling on her bed and chatting when she decided to start up her computer. She then started the sims 3 and I was thinking '...what the hell is a sim'. And so the ugliest sim alive was created through my noob CAS skills and I fell in love with the game. I actually hadn't heard much about the sims, which, looking back now, confuses me as the sims was a revolution in the gaming world. But eh, I'm a late simmer who had only discovered the game in it's third update (sims 3)My cousin introduced me to the game and now, I'm a proud simmer.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 4th Oct 2015 at 5:19 AM
I started playing TS1 when I was about 7. My dad thought I might like it becuase I liked Barbies and he had just built me my first computer. It was the first proper pc game I played.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 3:59 PM
I found out about The Sims back in 2010ish, when The Sims 3 was still fairly new. I really wanted The Sims 2, but I was under the misconception that The Sims 2 was for the PS2 only for some reason, so I wanted The Sims 3 since I had a laptop. My mother wasn't ready to let me play The Sims because she thought I wasn't ready for my Sims WooHooing. That, and later on, I discovered that my old Laptop from 2006 couldn't even handle The Sims 2. Fast forward a few years and I get The Sims 3: Pets on Xbox. I play that a lot for a while, then I get a new laptop in 2012. I buy The Sims 3 plus Seasons, and immediately convert from console to computer. September of 2013, I get The Sims 2 Double Deluxe. Admittedly, while I did start with The Sims 3, I do prefer The Sims 2 because The Sims 2 just runs better on my laptop.

Oh, I got TS4 about a year ago, but I hardly ever play it because it's so boring. Origin says I've played it about 49 hours...
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 10:36 AM
I bought the Sims 2 double deluxe and Sims 2 pets at target with my birthday money. My older sister and I were excited to play it and when we booted it up, we were disappointed in the experience and we found the game to be really boring. Fast forward 2 months later, I find my little sister playing it and I'm just sort of like "eh, whatcha playing that game for?" And she's just like "dude, you have no idea what you're missing out on" and dude...she was right. If it hadn't been for her giving the game a chance and demonstrating its awesomeness, I would've never been the huge sums fan I am today. I've played all the Sims games (minus a few Sims 3 EP) and I love them all.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 3:47 PM
When I was 6 my sister used to play Sims 1 and she would never let me play it. One day while she was gone I sneaked right on the computer and played it. I could never keep my sims happy or alive, but I still fell in love with the game and have been playing it ever since :D
Theorist
#11 Old 17th Oct 2015 at 5:21 PM
I thought back then that being a god deciding about people's lives could have been fun.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 3:03 AM
My mom played the Sims 1 when it came out, and the Sims 2 is pretty much how I learned to read when I was little lol
Scholar
#13 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 5:33 PM
Well, when I saw TS1 in the store, waay back, I read the box and thought, "What, you just get to click and send people around the house? WTH's the point? Sounds extremely stupid." Well, I also had the policy that if something sounds stupid, I have to try it. I still have my copy of Daikatana, you know? So I bought it and loved it. I probably played it waaay more than any other game... until TS2 came out.
Instructor
#14 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 6:01 PM
I have been a huge fan of all things Sim related since my family got our first computer in 95(I even got The Streets of Sim city and played it to death despite all the bug and crashes), but for some reason I never tried out the Sims until this past summer when I found a copy of The Sims 3 with the fast lane stuff pack and Supernatural expansion pack taped to it for six bucks at good will. Since then it has become my most played game and by buying stuff used I have been able to get most of the expansions for about $35 total.

Despite some of the flaws, with mods from this site and others I don't regret buying it. There is so much to do in this game that I have not done yet I don't think I will ever need to upgrade to another version. The only complaint I have is I kind of wish the build mode was a little more like the one in Rollercoaster Tycoon so I could delete stuff without exiting what I am building, but other then that I think the game's interface works great.

I would love to find a way to run the Sims 1 or 2 on my modern 64 bit PC so I could try them out but I have not found a way to do that yet.

Any way thanks to Goodwill and Lazy Game Reviews I am enjoying one of the best games I have ever played in my life. I am knew to the whole scene but I am having so much fun that I don't care.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 8:45 PM
As Varpunen posted, the main thread on this topic is here -- check it out & you'll enjoy the stories too.