Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#5376 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 1:30 AM
Indeed! I too have the multiple roommates mod, and I'm loving it. When i build apartments, i always make sure there is at least room for one more bed, in one more room...because my sims might want a roommate before they settle for a child. :0)

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#5377 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 2:47 AM
1. Summoning Mrs. Crumplebottom to parties is a lot of fun.

2. She somehow has x-ray vision and can see unclothed Sims on a completely different floor and make a beeline to them.

3. Her knitting needles are also lockpicks. Locked doors do not deter the Crumplebottom.

4. If you remove the door, she can lecture Sims through walls.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Theorist
#5378 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 3:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
My game begs to differ with you. Roomies are fantastic!

To me it really seems that the AI controlled roomates are one of the most devise parts of Sims 2. Either you love them or you loathe them.

Personally I loathe them. I can't deal with AI controlled Sims, I just can't. It stresses me out to no end that I can't tell them what to do. I once compared AI controlled Sims to woodlice, but that wasn't fair to woodlice, because even they are smart enough to run from a hazard, rather than jog 3 miles in order to stand next to a blazing fire and then dance around it.

I even have the pet control cheats in my user startup file

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#5379 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 3:36 AM
I've found roommates to be able to take care of their needs a bit better than a completely untrained playable Sim. Using 'serve meal' instead of 'have meal' helps too.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#5380 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 3:41 AM
It is true that lots of time, AI controlled Sims have the IQ of a badly written horror movie..you know, when the lady is woken up by some unusual, creepy unnatural noises at 3am, and she decides to go take a shower in the basement. But that's not always the case...

Field Researcher
#5381 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 4:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
2. [Mrs. Crumplebottom] somehow has x-ray vision and can see unclothed Sims on a completely different floor and make a beeline to them.
Err, there's a mod/bugfix for that. :P

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right
Mad Poster
#5382 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 4:23 AM
But it's funny!

Field Researcher
#5383 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 4:27 AM
I know. Just wanted to share.

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right
Mad Poster
#5384 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 4:34 AM
Thanks anyways.

New discovery: Sims peeing themselves can lower a date score, even without a fear of it.

Mad Poster
#5385 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 5:07 AM
I sincerely hope you are not surprised.

Mad Poster
#5386 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 5:19 AM
Not really.

Another discovery: If a sim hasn't had their first kiss, they're unable to 'smooch' during a slow dance.

Field Researcher
#5387 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 8:59 AM Last edited by zeroboys008 : 16th Mar 2018 at 9:41 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
After thinking about the post above mine, I discovered much to my surprise - I don't think I've ever had teens IN a hot tub much less making out in one. I'll have to try that out!

You all really need to try it (I saw the 11 Likes to your reply!) And It is not just making out but almost every romantic interaction is different from the adult version. I still need to see if massage is any different.

They are all both intense and adorable (and in some cases, quite steamy) and make the teen couples feel even more connected. I do not want to spoil the interactions by describing them because I had a blast being surprised by them and I think you will too. IMO they are perfect for teenagers in like/love and my favorite is how they cuddle, it is just so intimate and loving.

Goodness, the details put into this game will never cease to blow me away. I love it so much!
Mad Poster
#5388 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 9:25 AM
Oh, I bet that would explain why Angela Pleasant (teen) and Tank Grunt (YA) got into what looked like a contortionist act in the hot tub. Two different sets of animations!

Field Researcher
#5389 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 12:59 PM
The Pizza & Chinese food cars both have trunks that open. I know it sounds silly but I was so surprised by it. xD
Screenshots
Instructor
#5390 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 2:00 PM
that's one of the best things about The Sims 2, the animations are neat (unlike the next series, they tend to get shortcut).

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Mad Poster
#5391 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 2:02 PM
I was disappointed in the Sims 3 when the cars constantly teleported out onto the road.

Scholar
#5392 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 3:23 PM
It wouldn't take that much time to animate, right? Wonder why they left it out.
Mad Poster
#5393 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
Personally I loathe them. I can't deal with AI controlled Sims, I just can't. It stresses me out to no end that I can't tell them what to do. I once compared AI controlled Sims to woodlice, but that wasn't fair to woodlice, because even they are smart enough to run from a hazard, rather than jog 3 miles in order to stand next to a blazing fire and then dance around it.

Except mine don't do that. They are certainly smarter than woodlice. A lot of the frustrations people here describe just don't exist in my game. My nannies are competent, they deal with needs efficiently, they socialize with the kids in their care, and when not doing that they tend to clean. Only if everything is calm do they do other things, and in my hood that's perfectly allowed. And roomies take care of themselves fine. They sleep, they use the bathroom, and if my Sims don't serve food they will cook themselves. Yeah sometimes they'll be a bit tired when going to work, but who isn't?

Not saying people can't be driven mad by their AIs. If you say yours stinks then maybe it does, what do I know? I just know mine doesn't Whether that is mods, luck, or attitude, I have no idea.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#5394 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 5:27 PM
Except mine don't do that. They are certainly smarter than woodlice. A lot of the frustrations people here describe just don't exist in my game. My nannies are competent, they deal with needs efficiently, they socialize with the kids in their care, and when not doing that they tend to clean. Only if everything is calm do they do other things, and in my hood that's perfectly allowed. And roomies take care of themselves fine. They sleep, they use the bathroom, and if my Sims don't serve food they will cook themselves. Yeah sometimes they'll be a bit tired when going to work, but who isn't?

Not saying people can't be driven mad by their AIs. If you say yours stinks then maybe it does, what do I know? I just know mine doesn't Whether that is mods, luck, or attitude, I have no idea.

High five to that!

Instructor
#5395 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 7:11 PM
I was disappointed in the Sims 3 when the cars constantly teleported out onto the road.

That upset me so much when I first saw it. I was so used to seeing this animation for getting out of the drive in The Sims 2 that seeing that laziness in The Sims 3 left me flabbergasted.

Formally known as TotallySimsCrazy. Still addicted to custom content.
Simblr
Theorist
#5396 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 8:08 PM

I never had problems with the nannies either.
It's really attitude of course. It simply makes me antsy not to be able to smoothen over a situation should it arise. Sims can and do take reasonable good care of themselves, as I know every time i forget about having the game running while talking on the phone and come back and...gasp...my sims are still alive, and mostly fine.
So from my POV, even a little bit AI silliness is already a major nuisance, while from your POV, I assume, it's just a cute little thing they can work out for themselves.

I notice that with Sim death. People who are bothered by it seem to see it lurk behind every corner and get worried to even have their Sims stargaze for fears that the satellite might crash on them (no matter how nonexistent that chance is) Me, meanwhile, who isn't bothered by Sim death at all find myself even provoking those situations just to spice the game up a little.
Sickness is the same topic, people tell those tales of struggling with epidemics in their neighborhood, and having to cure their sims by herding them into quarantine areas and force-feeding them comfort soup.
I meanwhile? I just send them to bed a bit early, and by the next day, or the day after that they are fine again... Even if I leave sick sims completely alone, letting just the AI take care of them, they quickly get healthy again.
And then there's pregnancy, some people kind of stress out over their pregnant Sims (might be a relic from the days when the game was just released and a bug could, apparently, lead to pregnant Sims falling over dead for no apparent reason) meanwhile my Sim ladies juggle toddlers, babies and pregnancy at the same time. Sure sometimes their motives might get a little red, but nothing that can't be helped again.

But no, that with the fire is game behavior. I'm not sure what you might have modded about your Sims (or did you teach them fire safety? Does that help?) But if a Sim notices a fire in their home, they will run straight at it, then stand next to it and do that little, stressed out fire dance until they burn up or the fire dies down. Unless the player intervenes, in my experience, they will do nothing to stop the fire or safe themselves.
Maybe the roomates have better AI here? Do they evacuate in case of a fire?

Scholar
#5397 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 8:10 PM
Except mine don't do that. They are certainly smarter than woodlice...

...Not saying people can't be driven mad by their AIs. If you say yours stinks then maybe it does, what do I know? I just know mine doesn't Whether that is mods, luck, or attitude, I have no idea.

My SIms are usually smart too... ...it's just that the one time I had a Sim with an action to "Eat" the fire kind of stuck in the mind...

(The one thing that my nannies do that is suboptimal is turning the bedroom TV on and waking the children up. But that's my fault for letting the Sim children have a bedroom TV instead of making them share the one the adults use in the dining room!)
Mad Poster
#5398 Old 16th Mar 2018 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
But no, that with the fire is game behavior. I'm not sure what you might have modded about your Sims (or did you teach them fire safety? Does that help?) But if a Sim notices a fire in their home, they will run straight at it, then stand next to it and do that little, stressed out fire dance until they burn up or the fire dies down. Unless the player intervenes, in my experience, they will do nothing to stop the fire or safe themselves.
Maybe the roomates have better AI here? Do they evacuate in case of a fire?

Mine only care about fire if they are close to it in the same room. If they are elsewhere they ignore it completely, and since their supreme leader is great at remembering fire alarms or sprinklers, the situation is quickly sorted out on it's own. And the few times they are in the same room, I certainly don't blame them for panicking and not knowing what to do. Thanks to fire alarms or sprinklers, nobody has caught fire while panicking. And since they are smart they realize they are incompetent and then wish to learn fire safety, so next time they'll be better prepared Fires are pretty rare in my game, so I don't believe I've had any roomies in a fire-related situation so not sure how they act.

I'm fairly certain I have a mod related to fires, intended to make them not run towards it, though not sure by who. But to me, that is my responsibility as player. Sims aren't stupid, they are just occasionally governed by rules that don't make sense and then it's my job to fix those rules. So you are probably right in that it's a matter of POV, to some extent at least. But I get it, I used to play free will off for years because I disliked my Sims doing things on their own. We all enjoy our game the way we enjoy them, and if something gives someone anxiety or bugs them then it does and that's fine too

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#5399 Old 17th Mar 2018 at 12:25 AM
I've found whether the nannies are effective or not depends on which one you get. I've had the best luck with Kendal Lawson. Meanwhile, Karen Gast had a tendency to ignore the kids to watch TV and pick fights with other Sims. Calista Despret is okay, but can be pretty ineffective sometimes.

Theorist
#5400 Old 17th Mar 2018 at 12:37 AM
So you are probably right in that it's a matter of POV, to some extent at least. But I get it, I used to play free will off for years because I disliked my Sims doing things on their own. We all enjoy our game the way we enjoy them, and if something gives someone anxiety or bugs them then it does and that's fine too

Oh I don't go as far as to turn free will off, that's way too stressful in large households, when you have to tell Sims to do every little thing I have the normal vanilla free will, though, without any additions or mods (except for some nuisance-destroyers like the one about leaving babies alone and no autonomous busking and stuff)
I'm fine with letting them do their own thing on occasion, it's just I want the option to interfere, which is why permanently AI controlled Sims like roommates are difficult for me. And why ACR won't enter my game ever.
I don't even quite understand some of the ACR features...my Sims do autonomously flirt with and kiss their romantic partners, without that mod. They are even....Simlish... enough to walk up to to their secret affair in the middle of a party and start making out with them, while their spouse stand spy and watches (with all the resulting drama that entails ) The only things they don't do autonomously is woohoo, reproduce and choose their romantic partners...and those are things I want to decide.

I've found whether the nannies are effective or not depends on which one you get. I've had the best luck with Kendal Lawson. Meanwhile, Karen Gast had a tendency to ignore the kids to watch TV and pick fights with other Sims. Calista Despret is okay, but can be pretty ineffective sometimes.

As someone who has replaced the Pleasantview Townies (except for Kaylynn) years ago I wonder whether it depends on the nanny's personality? My sole nanny takes good care of the children (she just feeds them to often and occasionally leaves them on the floor, walks out of the room and then comes back, picks them up and puts them into the cradle )
Would be interesting to know whether it is dependent on personality and which personality traits make the best nannies...

Page 216 of 445