Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#251 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 2:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CleoSombra
This is the problem and part of the concern.

So people are saying that this expansion is going to be a bunch of expansions combined. Obviously, they're not going to pack in everything from all of them - they're taking bits and pieces, items and concepts.

The result can be something that feels a bit half-assed. Like Ambitions had a little bit of OFB in it. . . but not a whole lot. There's so much they could have done but didn't do. In certain areas, I feel the expansion fell short (like with owning venues).

I'm concerned that the same thing will happen here, as well.

I have to agree. I've felt that the games seem "half assed" since TS3 came out. I know that trailers aren't exactly showing what is possible in the game and whats not, and they are made to look shiney but I'm starting to get less and less impressed as well.

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway.
"I'd trade all of my tomorrows for just one yesterday." Me and Bobby Mcgee
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#252 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 2:52 PM Last edited by Kaospilot : 25th Jul 2010 at 10:00 PM.
Well, if this expansion (again) is something that's only half of what people want (i.e just bits and parts like mentioned) I hope that they come up with some new cool concepts at the end of it to make up at least. Something that hasn't been implemented in any of the games before.

But to be honest, I kind of just want all the TS2 features converted into TS3.. If they just remade all of the expansions, fine. Rather that than mess the concept up.
Lab Assistant
#253 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaospilot

But to be honest, I kind of just want all the TS2 features converted into TS3.. If they just remade all of the expansions,

though I'm sure it would cause a lot of grumbling, I honestly wouldn't mind this. I only experienced a few of the previous expansions, so it would be basically all new to me, and to a lot of other people.
Scholar
#254 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 4:57 PM
I liked OFB and I don't think it had anymore annoyances than the other EPs but I have to admit if it wasn't for Squinges' mods (especially the no autonomous ones) I wouldn't have enjoyed TS2 as much.

Edit: If they were going to redo EPs verbatim than I would have to vote for the TS1 EPs.
Top Secret Researcher
#255 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 7:32 PM
I loved OFB. I was able to have entire towns dependent upon each other rather than on EA professions. This gave me a lot of flexibility especially in theme or period towns. Yes, it did have some issues, but I was able to play it without the MATY Mods without any major issues. I used mods only to add features, such as the ability to hire sims to work as farmers. Mods have their own little issues in games so its really all a wash. OFB was a strategy game and I liked that so didn't mind the little challenges. Those who want to control everything need mods...I prefer a few surprises.

I was sad that Ambitions did not allow us to own shops...Yes, they did sort of. But its more like they allow us to be investors in shops, not really run them. So my Sim can own a consignment shop but without mods, she cannot work there. And even then, the cash registers leave a lot to be desired. As for mods, I don't want a mod that forces me to do things I don't want to do just to have one little bitty piece I do want. That is my personal choice, nothing against the mods. EA should not make us use Mods to do something that should be available in the game. Small business owners are part of a community so therefore, should have been included in Ambitions. I also fear it will never happen though...
Scholar
#256 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 9:07 PM
I have a feeling EA has been holding out on buying clothes (and proper register animations) for the Late Night release, as it is focused on a shopping/clubbing theme. Obviously done to boost EP sales...
Top Secret Researcher
#257 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 10:02 PM
Haven't seen so much about shopping in Late Night. More clubbing and... clubbing :/
Theorist
#258 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 11:12 PM
I doubt that they would add clothing shopping, so much about the sims 3 has been made to make it "less hasslesome", I don't like this for somethings (like groceries) but I don't really miss buying clothing a whole lot....

Hi I'm Paul!
Top Secret Researcher
#259 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 11:20 PM
Yea, first thing I would do in TS2 was to go buy multiple outfits. Also if a sim was pregnant I would go buy clothes from toddler-teen as they always get put into some dodgy looking ones.

Maybe if at creation of a family you could choose 5 or so outfits and pieces you own and then you would have to buy the rest? I did like, just didn't like that it was so limited
Scholar
#260 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 11:21 PM
I don't miss buying clothes either. In SIms I had to go downtown everytime I made an family, just to buy clothes for them. I like having all the clothes available. I wouldn't mind tough, since it's a feature that would make the whole open hood thing nicer.
Top Secret Researcher
#261 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 11:31 PM
True. Much of the pain of having to buy close was because of that loading screen. I'm quite sure it would be okay if you had to buy it now. Though we all know it wont ever go backwards now
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#262 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 11:36 PM
There was a clothes shop displayed in the earlier shots, as a rabbit hole, but it was converted into a spa (becuase every town NEEDS a spa, right -_-). Why they removed it, it's beyond me. I'm glad I had a MOD that allows me to actually go shopping again. Bothersome, but a nice little feature to have. Make laundry feel much more important, since you cant shop without ambitions :D
Scholar
#263 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 12:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaospilot
Yea, first thing I would do in TS2 was to go buy multiple outfits. Also if a sim was pregnant I would go buy clothes from toddler-teen as they always get put into some dodgy looking ones.

Maybe if at creation of a family you could choose 5 or so outfits and pieces you own and then you would have to buy the rest? I did like, just didn't like that it was so limited

Me too! Once a sim got preggers I would buy clothes for all the child ages (toddler/kid/teen) so they wouldn't have to wear whatever ghastly outfit the game put them in.

I liked sending my Sims shopping. They usually ran into friends at the clothing stores. Also, my community lots usually were multi-functional in that the Sims could eat, shop and play and the clothing stores looked nice in the mix.

Quote: Originally posted by Matrix54
There was a clothes shop displayed in the earlier shots, as a rabbit hole, but it was converted into a spa (becuase every town NEEDS a spa, right -_-). Why they removed it, it's beyond me. I'm glad I had a MOD that allows me to actually go shopping again. Bothersome, but a nice little feature to have. Make laundry feel much more important, since you cant shop without ambitions

What mod are you using?
Test Subject
#264 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 1:48 AM
I never even use the spa. Except once, and that was just to waste time. I'm really hoping EA can redeem themselves with Late Night. I'm not putting down TS3 or anything, I just don't know if the features I gave up are worth the features I lost

QWERTYFISH11 WAS HERE!!!
...well, you were too, yeah. i guess we both were. okay.
Forum Resident
#265 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 1:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Achromagus
Quite clearly not everyone agrees on this.

Well im guess i was wrong then.. .
I remember back in TS2 days everybody were very pleased with the OFB expansion and in general the whole business aspect...i guess things have changed...
But in my opinion it was one of the best expansions ever...
OFB and NL were the only expansions where i could play for a week without being sick of them..

Check my tumblr:
http://eliasctifler.tumblr.com/
:)
Test Subject
#266 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 1:56 AM
I liked OFB, yes. Especially the Skills. I just never liked having another 'hood just for shopping, and I just made one 'hood that mixed the two together.

QWERTYFISH11 WAS HERE!!!
Mad Poster
#267 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 2:09 AM
Saying something is "most likely" something is not clearing a single thing up, all it does is confuse things.

It is not a reboot. Kaylynn is one of only a few inconsistencies that is explained by the supernatural. Don Lothario exists exactly as he did in The Sims 2 due to magic time travel. Who is to say that Kaylynn did not experience something similar?

They took specific effort to tie the games together. They did not abandon everything and start over. They even went so far as to make the Simbots outdated and clunky servo prototypes.

The reason technology matching or better than the other games exists is called the "rule of fun", which states that developers should not be complete idiots if it means it won't be fun. That is to say that they kept that stuff despite the game being 50 years prior because the game would be a little stupid if it didn't have flat screen TVs and laptops and cell phones.

Fine. It's clearly a reboot, not most likely a reboot. My apologies for confusing you. I'm sorry, but if it were a continuation, then the storyline wouldn't have restarted as obvious as from the characters. So, yes, it is a reboot, not a continuation. Don Lothario only was added as a popular Cassanova and because EA just got creative with the storyline. I find it difficult to believe that most of the known Sims have traveled through time. It makes no sense for it to be a continuation. Just because the game is a sequel doesn't mean that it has to follow the original storyline. Thus, it's a reboot, not a continuation. With a reboot, EA can make things different this time around. All you really have to do is read their bios and you'll see that it's as though Sims 2 storyline or Sims 1 storyline hadn't existed, with the exception of Don Lothario who really was just a favorite that EA wanted to add as an adult but with a logical reason (hence, time travelling).

Also, there appears to be more disagrees with your response, which means that not everyone agrees, just like (clearly) not everyone will agree with me. That's perfectly fine. I believe that the storyline is a reboot and you believe that it isn't. By the end of the day, we all have different opinions. No harm done.
Lab Assistant
#268 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 2:11 AM
If EA added the ability to purchase your clothes rather than having them all magically available in their dressers I don't think it would matter, as long as they kept it so that all outifts are available. Yeah it probably wouldn't make a lot of sense since all the clothes are there, but at least it would give us options rather than forcing us to have one or the other.

This applies to the grocery aspect of TS3, where they made it so that unlike in TS2 you aren't being forced to visit the grocery store or order groceries from the phone, but instead give you the option to have your sims shop for groceries if you choose while giving a small bonus to those who buy their groceries from the store. Options are never a bad thing.
Banned
#269 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 2:16 AM
But it's not an opinion. It's a fact.

In an interview with producer Ben Bell and members from the EA Forum in UK it's written "He said that the neighborhood itself is set before the neighborhood we see in The Sims, as if it's a prequel to the story we already know. He said the Goths[10] are in the town, as their younger selves obviously as well as other familiar names and faces. Lots of new characters too."

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/...tml#post6045905

I'm sorry, but if it were a continuation, then the storyline wouldn't have restarted as obvious as from the characters.

This doesn't make any sense. I don't understand what you're saying.

I find it difficult to believe that most of the known Sims have traveled through time.

What are you talking about? Only don lothario traveled through time. This is set BEFORE the sims 1. They didn't travel through time, they're YOUNGER. Mortimer is a child. Bella is a child. Bob is a teen. I am really confused about what you're trying to say.

Anyway, it's a fact. so it doesn't matter.
Test Subject
#270 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 2:27 AM
I don't know if it's just me, but TS3 feels very "console-ey". I mean it's nice and all, but they got rid of driveway animations (which always impressed me in TS2 NL), clothing shopping, ACTUAL community lots, memories, aliens, and aspirations. Sure we got Lifetime wishes and traits, but it kind of feels like somethings... missing. I dunno. TS3 is still really fun though. I wish there was a way to combine the two. Hopefully in future eps, EA will answer my pleas.

QWERTYFISH11 WAS HERE!!!
Mad Poster
#271 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 2:30 AM
Don Lothario exists exactly as he did in The Sims 2 due to magic time travel. Who is to say that Kaylynn did not experience something similar?

That's why I mentioned about Sims traveling through time as something that is obviously not true, but that last sentence of yours implied that it could've been that other Sims have or have not traveled through time.

Okay, so it's a prequel according to Ben Bell. That still doesn't make sense because how can Don Lothario have existed in the original storyline? He was an adult in Sims 2, which means that he'd be a baby or a toddler in Sims 1 (which such ages didn't exist back then). So, in theory, how could he have traveled through time from a storyline that happens AFTER the current storyline? That's why I said it's a reboot because it didn't make any sense to me.

But you're right. It doesn't matter and had I known that we were going to end up debating over this in the Late Night thread, I'd have saved a few posts.

Mods, my apologies for dragging this out of topic.
Banned
#272 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 2:40 AM
Inconsistencies don't change facts, keep that in mind. It doesnt matter if it doesn't make immediate sense, that doesn't mean the prequel-ness isn't true.
Mad Poster
#273 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 2:49 AM
I didn't say it did. I simply stated that it didn't make sense as my reason for believing that it was a reboot. I should know better than not to realize that EA doesn't always have logical reasoning. Again, I apologize for the commotion. That wasn't my intention.
Lab Assistant
#274 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 2:56 AM
This EP could have twinkies, cupcakes, and a whole bag of chucklenuts for all I care.

What I DON'T want it to do is bend the existing game over and sodomize it like Ambitions did.

Although I can't wait to see what items it will be released with. The fog emitter was pretty awesome. More stuff along those lines would be great. As long as it doesn't include any of the aforementioned sodomy.
Instructor
#275 Old 26th Jul 2010 at 3:12 AM
I was watching the Video and I saw somthing in the background that looked like a vending machine or an atm. I also saw what may have been a revolving door.
Page 11 of 95