Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#1951 Old 27th May 2014 at 7:58 PM Last edited by bnymph : 28th May 2014 at 8:26 AM. Reason: Question
Default Hi!
Quote: Originally posted by TheFlyingRaccoon
When you're playing a hood with several households, like in this challenge, you normally want that they all stay synchronised, you want them all to get older at the same rhythm. That's why you play one household after the other (if possible in the same order) for a certain number of days. And that number of days is one round. Most of us play either with 1, 5 (one saison) or 7 day rounds. When you finished playing one round in each household than you've finished one rotation in your hood.

And there isn't a way to do this wrong, bnymph. Each one of us here has adjusted the rules to his play style. Just play the challenge how you feel most comfortable. After all, the main reason to play sims is having fun and not worrying all the time about making things 'right'. I'd suggest simply starting to create your five founding families, get some neanderthal CC (only if you want of course) and then start playing. Things will sort out as you advance. And don't start worrying about future eras before you actually are close to the transition, otherwise you're going crazy with all those rules.

Thank you so much tfr!

@nesxya, I love your site. I might have to swipe some ideas, lol.

What is a beginner to do? My Website My TOT My Forum My website
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#1952 Old 28th May 2014 at 4:59 AM
Default Hood Checker
Quote: Originally posted by VioletPadfoot
This is the Hood Checker. It's by Mootilda, and will check if there are corruptions or potential corruptions in your hood. And in some cases, attempt to fix them. ~VP

Edit: Ack! you found it as I was linking! If you haven't played the neighborhood you're checking since you backed it up, you're okay. And if you haven't done anything you'd hate to lose, you're okay too. Backing up is just a fail safe just in case the Hood Checker does something to make things worse/unplayable when you tell it to try to fix things. In that case, you'd restore the backup and try fixing things manually in SimPE ~VP

And Another Edit 'cause double posts are bad: I've been playing this second attempt for how long now? Months at minimum. So why have I just now noticed that when I was setting up the neighborhood, I spelled Troy and Abigale's last name as "Kaminksi" instead of "Kaminski". I only noticed it b/c my familyfunds cheat was acting up and not granting money like it should. So I fired up SimPE and fixed things. As well as the money issue. But still that long with that spelling issue. I'd have lived happily with it had I never noticed it, but as soon as I knew it was there, I couldn't play until it was fixed. I'm just weird that way. ~VP

How do you use the hood checker? It's taking too long to work for me. It says something about sim pe. Should I uninstall sim pe?

Field Researcher
#1953 Old 28th May 2014 at 2:15 PM
If you're playing a hood for a longer period of time, things will eventually become corrupt even if you don't do anything wrong, because EA messed things up when programming the game. That's why Mootilda made the Hood Checker. It allows you to check for corruption in your hood and can fix a couple of things. To use it you simply have to download the files, klick the .exe file and then it should ask you to select a hood you want to check and it gives you a list of the problems it found and the possibility to let the HC fix them. SimPE is not related to the process of using the HC at all (except for a few problems that the HC can find but not fix and that you then would have to fix manually in SimPe), so I don't see how uninstalling SimPE would help the programm to work.

If you want to find out why the hood checker is not working for you, it might be best if you go to the download thread and ask Mootilda for help as it's her program and she can probably find out what the problem is.

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Field Researcher
#1954 Old 28th May 2014 at 2:43 PM
Default I Made It - Dark Ages!
I made it to the Dark Ages. Princess Lais is now an adult!

Now I have the task of breaking everyone up into different kingdoms, renaming, building new homes, and new wardrobe.

I have so much to do and no time to do it. I won't get to play again until Friday night probably.

Should I do 4 kingdoms or just 2? 4 is too much. I'm having trouble. 2 would make things considerably easier. Or should I stick with just one?
Screenshots

Check out my Apocalypse Challenge attempt @ ditzyekko.blogspot.com
Lab Assistant
#1955 Old 28th May 2014 at 11:39 PM Last edited by bnymph : 29th May 2014 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Extra comment
Default Finally, I get to join in on the action!
Ok, I started my TOT-M (link in my sig), but I have to update slowly, due to the fact that I had to start from scratch in Sim Tracker. Please go and see, and I hope you like it.

Edit: Oh yeah, for those who want the link to my forum, it's on my profile. Thanks again.
Edit: Who here knows how to get the rock roof? I can't find it, and I know I downloaded it.

Field Researcher
#1956 Old 28th May 2014 at 11:40 PM Last edited by DitzyEkko : 7th Jun 2014 at 1:00 PM.
Okay. I've decided on the names and will only have one kingdom.

Monarchs went from Celsus surname to Carington
Nobles are now Ventura, Quigley, and Auteberry
Vassals are Porter, Ellison, Turner, O'Reilly
Vikings are Maurice Ellison & Endre Turner I've decided the Vikings should be entirely new sims otherwise Maurice & Endre would be killing their own fathers, brothers, cousins and raping their own mothers, sisters, etc, .... The new Vikings are Sven & Olaf (thank you Frozen!)
Serfs are Marx, Jackson, Moore, Karter, Ember, Ashe, Aspir, and Joque

Still no playing for a few more days but I'm ready

Test Subject
#1957 Old 29th May 2014 at 6:27 AM
Hey everyone,

I would appreciate it if you would check out the official FB page for AToT. I would like to continue modifying the challenge and eventually release a Sims 4 version (the Sims 3 version isn't mine). The page will be my primary method of updating everyone. That being said, I think it would also be fun to have a communal page where we could share photos, showcase blogs, and spotlight simmers more efficiently.

https://www.facebook.com/SimsAToT?ref=br_tf

Thanks, and Neanderthal on! (although I know everyone is well past that point)

Kelly
Lab Assistant
#1958 Old 29th May 2014 at 4:35 PM Last edited by bnymph : 29th May 2014 at 5:30 PM. Reason: more info
Default Crazy
Ok, I have a question. Why when you have acr babies, it takes so long to have the second one? It makes me wanna quit. It's Thursday in my game, and Linda Gregory just gave birth to twins. Well, she had one baby, whom I couldn't name(the game wouldn't let me) and she's still pregnant with the boy, but isn't having him. What do I do? Frustrated. I don't have the build/buy mode options, and it's not letting me exit the game.

Edit: I took ACR out. I'll just do it the old fashioned way. But why can't I name the kids?

Instructor
#1959 Old 31st May 2014 at 3:56 AM
I have no idea why :/ That's never happened to me... You can always use a hack to change the kid's names.

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Field Researcher
#1960 Old 31st May 2014 at 1:18 PM
@bnymph When you're having problems with CC or hacks, it may be better to go to the appropriate section in this forum to ask for help. We are, of course, always willing to help you out, but there are other people here which have way more experience with modding and etc. and you'll find those in the help section. But a lil' heads up: They will only be ready to help you out, when you first checked out the help page on the wiki: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...lp:Game_Problem Most of your problems sound a bit like you have (or had) conflicting content in your downloads folder, so taking a look at that site may be worth a try anyway (even if only to help you understand better how CC, mods or hacks work).
About that roof you were asking for: I suppose you mean the one coming with this set http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=288814 ? If yes, it's not an actual roof, it's a decorative item and you can find it somewhere with your decorations (not sure where exactly anymore, probably sculptures or misc.).

@SwallowTail87 I think it's a great idea to have a communal platform to communicate, but I'm not too convinced that facebook would be the right place for this? =/ I associate FB rather with communication with people from your everday life/real life. Maybe tumblr or LJ would be better fitting for a ToT community?

Concerning my own ToT: I had my last exam yesterday, which means I have time for my poor simmies again. I already started playing yesterday evening and I'll probably get an update ready somewhen during the next few days.

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Instructor
#1961 Old 1st Jun 2014 at 4:34 AM Last edited by lbsgirl24 : 2nd Jun 2014 at 10:27 AM.
I finally found time to update my blog again I'll be putting up another update today.

And it looks like the family trees in my game are complicated enough for the inappropriate heart farting to begin. Today the third wife of a now deceased founder decided her husband's eldest grandson was hot. Um what?

Field Researcher
#1962 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 2:08 PM
The Dark Ages

http://ditzyekko.blogspot.com/2014/...-dark-ages.html

I haven't played every family yet. This is just a start

Inventor
#1963 Old 3rd Jun 2014 at 5:34 PM
OMG it's been forever since I've been on here. My computer has been actually off (something that never happens) for the past week as I've been packing a moving truck, driving said moving truck from just north of Detroit Michigan to Houston Texas, and unpacking that truck. I am SO freaking tired. But I think I'll be able to get back to my sims tonight. But first a response:

@bnymph: the chat box on my website, if you haven't yet found it, is a cbox. Here's the website: http://www.cbox.ws/ How you get it on your site is up to you, but cbox can usually help you out with it if you simply can't figure it out. Usually it involves adding html code.

And now I'm off to try to make space amongst all the boxes in this apartment. Maybe sometime today I'll be able to move around my living room... ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Instructor
#1964 Old 6th Jun 2014 at 4:30 AM
Yay I finished playing and updating the second round in the roman era. I liked the update DitzyEcho can't wait to see what happens next

Test Subject
#1965 Old 9th Jun 2014 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheFlyingRaccoon
@SwallowTail87 I think it's a great idea to have a communal platform to communicate, but I'm not too convinced that facebook would be the right place for this? =/ I associate FB rather with communication with people from your everday life/real life. Maybe tumblr or LJ would be better fitting for a ToT community?

Hey Raccoon, I agree that it isn't the best place for that sort of thing. Maybe a Weebly would be a better place to update people? I'm still trying to get this figured out. I have actually added additional stages and whatnot to the challenge that people may be interested in, and have my sights set on actually creating an AToT 2.0 that incorporates a larger population, multiple nations, and hopefully even shortens the time each stage takes. I'm trying to make it more realistic as I go - but please, please feel free to inbox me suggestions. It just seems like posting challenge updates as a comment isn't the most efficient way to communicate.

-Kelly
Inventor
#1966 Old 11th Jun 2014 at 7:34 PM
Ooh! I'm all for more stages, especially if they get made a bit shorter. It's taking me a really long time this time around to get through things. On the plus side my teens are finally starting to pair off. Now I just have to get them to have babies and have those babies become adults then I can move on to Roman times! Finally!

On that note, I just finished Round Five and updated my website. I think I forgot something while I was updating, but oh well. Anyway, go have a look, and feel free to comment either here or on my cbox. I'm going to go retrieve my Sims CD from my little sister and start Round Six. Maybe I'll get some new households this round. ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Instructor
#1967 Old 12th Jun 2014 at 1:50 AM
Although if there are more households it would increase the length dramtically. Personally I've cut the challenge in half for my own playing but for me keeping my population low seems like the best way to keep progressing.

Test Subject
#1968 Old 13th Jun 2014 at 1:56 AM
I have awhile until the dark ages still, but doing two kingdoms sounds fun. I might have to download Sims PE so I can change the last names for the second kingdom though. Where do you download that?
Field Researcher
#1969 Old 13th Jun 2014 at 2:26 PM
Default I Hate Game Crashes
I just had the perfect Sim moment. Fedora had just delivered twin boys (the saviors of their family's last name) and got the perfect picture of a joyous grandfather and the game crashed as I entered the moment in their photo album. I am so tempted to try to recreate this pregnancy outcome, but I don't have the patience to reload the same scene over and over to get my same perfect boys back. And it is kinda cheating!!

Well R.I.P. to my little Phantom Twins - Lord Stafford & Lord Stamford Quigley
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#1970 Old 13th Jun 2014 at 6:16 PM
I just started mine recently. Pretty fun, yet very complicated.
Test Subject
#1971 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 4:34 AM
I agree the challenge goes too slowly, especially given Sims 2's rate of corruption. :/

I am modifying the 2.0 version to allow you to choose however many families you want to play in the rotation, although the neighborhood will still "age" (you can just speed-age using boolprop, aging cheats, Sim PE, any method you choose). Hopefully this will allow more freedom to play whatever style fits you best.

That being said, I am also going out on a limb and attempting to introduce multiple "nations" to make the game more realistic and allow for more interactions. I am not sure how that will turn out. So once it's done, if anyone would consider reviewing, I appreciate every bit of feedback!

-Kelly
Test Subject
#1972 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 5:17 AM
Alright, so I am working on an official site. If you would like to have a link to your blog, site, or videos on the site, please either reply or message me with a brief description of your challenge, the link, and a picture of your Sims.

-Kelly
Lab Assistant
#1973 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 12:07 PM
SwallowTail, please do make a version for TS4, if it's possible with that game. I might even consider buying the game.

I had to start over, leaving my dear Romans behind. Couldn't transfer my hood safely to my new PC, so yeah. I'm taking a slightly different approach this time. My founders are not Neanderthals, but some weird cult members stranded on an island. Of course, no one will ever sail by to evacuate them. I put all ten founders on one lot to let them figure out their partnerships by themselves.
Field Researcher
#1974 Old 14th Jun 2014 at 8:53 PM
During the Dark Ages, what are we to do with Plant Sims? Are they cursed? Are they using forbidden magic?

Instructor
#1975 Old 15th Jun 2014 at 7:09 AM
You can do whatever you like with them Personally it would depend on who they were in the earlier eras. Last time I played with plant sims they were normal, albeit respected members of the community who were able to heal sims as such they were respected and their family was pretty much safe from sickness.

Page 79 of 128