Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st May 2016 at 4:06 AM
New to Sims 1, anything I should know? Challenges? Mods? CC?
So I searched the forums and didn't really find anything...

I'm to the the first game, I only got 3 and 4 like six months ago, so it's not like I know everything about the games.

I just managed to the base game, Superstar and Hot Date (tho it doesn't seem to like my code so I haven't installed HD yet) and decided I could play it (time to buy Sims 2, maybe?).

I just haven't seen anything about Sims 1, really, so I'm posting to see if anyone knows anything. Anything would help.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st May 2016 at 2:29 PM
Um, there's this whole forum here...that you just posted in...It's a fun game, harder than Sims 2, requiring more strategy. "Anything" is too broad. Are you having problems with gameplay?

I think Sims1 wanted you to install all the expansions in order, so to get it to accept Hot Date you may need to uninstall Superstar, install HD, reinstall Superstar. You'll need to make backup copies of your neighborhoods if you're attached to them.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st May 2016 at 6:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Um, there's this whole forum here...that you just posted in...It's a fun game, harder than Sims 2, requiring more strategy. "Anything" is too broad. Are you having problems with gameplay?

I think Sims1 wanted you to install all the expansions in order, so to get it to accept Hot Date you may need to uninstall Superstar, install HD, reinstall Superstar. You'll need to make backup copies of your neighborhoods if you're attached to them.

What I mean by "anything" is I don't know anything about the game. Tips, tricks, cheats, etc. would be nice.

Thanks! I will try installing HD first. I managed to get Sims1 to run, but it didn't like running so I didn't get very far.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st May 2016 at 8:00 PM
I suggest you read the threads in the Sims 1 Forum and then you'll know more. Since you're having trouble getting it to run right at all, you might want to scan the technical threads about getting it to run on different operating systems first.

"Anything" is a lot. I've already discussed the strategy I evolved for Sims1 extensively here, so why type it all out again when you can get a cold drink and do a little leisurely reading of what already exists? And it might not even turn out to be interesting to you anyway because what I wanted from the game isn't the same as what you want from it. I worked for those strategies, darn it! I never got online (except to hunt up custom content) and barely consulted a strategy guide, till I started playing Sims2.

The more specific your question, the more likely you are to get an answer. So maybe read existing threads, get the program working properly, play a few experimental games, and come back when you know what to ask.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 21st May 2016 at 9:19 PM
I would stay with 1 and play it for at least 100 in game days then upgrade to Sims 2 but you will miss some features from Sims 1.

If you find out it is to hard to keep your sims happy because you are spending to many in game hours keeping up your sims needs then there is 1 mod I can recommend to help you out.
"SkyLego 07 Kit" from http://simsky.parsimonious.org/ensimsky.php

Please, please try the game before adding in mods so you can get the full value out of it.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
#6 Old 25th May 2016 at 7:57 PM
Sims 1 is where it all started and is a sandbox game despite some saying it isn't. I would know playing it still has value as I've been on a nostalgia kick myself lately.

I realize "look it up" is avoiding the question, however it is the best way of getting answers for basic questions. A quick search indicates GameFAQs still has some strategy guides:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/193984-the-sims/faqs

However, with that said, my suggestion to someone just starting the game with just the base game or the base game with only a few expansions is yes, do the tutorial house, which covers the basic game mechanics. Then, it's up to you really.

Finally, if something seems really simple, strange, simoleon values seem off (ex: Moneywell Computer, tube TV being a middle-tier purchase), clothing looks like what thrift store clothing would look like if it were new, etc., remember the base game came out over 16 years ago as I write this. It was groundbreaking for its time.
Instructor
#7 Old 26th May 2016 at 1:42 PM
After playing Sims 1, 2, and 3, I can easily say that sims 3 is an entirely different entity from the very original that started the franchise/many unhealthy obsessions. The sims 1 and 2 are what I consider the most similar, most likely because both were developed by Will Wright. (Whereas TS3 and beyond lack his and Maxis' charm.)

Anyways, TS1 is an incredible piece of nostalgia that I hold very dear to my heart, as it was a huge component of my childhood. After some thought, here are some basics that I've come up with. Although I'm positive you can find a treasure trove of even better information around this forum, along with a google search. Even though the craze for TS1 began to fade even at the release of TS2, like jaytee said: this game was absolutely incredible for the time. It's a fantastic game, and I'd much rather play 1 than 3 or 4 any day. (However, I am always a sucker for 2, as that is where my heart belongs. :lovestruc )

-TS1 has 1 specific cheat that was not included in later games. "rosebud" is very popular, as it provides the same effect as "kaching". Typing "rosebud !;!;!;!;" with repeated !; will provide an extra 1000 simoleans for every !;. So "rosebud !;!;!;!;!;!;!;" should give that family 7000 extra simoleans.
-Definitely requires more strategy, as "boolprop testingcheatsenabled" was not a thing yet. However you can still control their motives (I believe) by holding down SHIFT and clicking on the desired level of motives.
-There are no such things as LTW, Wants and Fears, Moodlets, etc. Basically, the goal is to just keep up all their motives.
-There are no such things as days of the week. Or seasons. Or days off.
-There is no such thing as aging, except from baby to child, or with the addition of spells in Makin' Magic.
-Expect the following: Drew Carey, The Tragic Clown, and Cake Dancers.

It's been awhile, so forgive me for any discrepancies. I promise there is so much juicy information out there, better than this.

If you're looking for any CC, I'd highly recommend Simlogical's Website. You'll find a lot of useful hacks and other downloads to make game play better. But if you're interested in playing vanilla for awhile, they also have game help and tutorials.

Have fun!