Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#76 Old 18th Nov 2016 at 10:39 PM
seeing the trailer made me think that some music from sims 1 looks like they are from sims 2 , it's sounds like it's was made to sims 2 ( even if it wasn't) , sorry just imagining weird thing about the music hahaha, i wished they keeped for the final ( i know that we can pick the mp3 files from sims 1, anyway reading some of developers diary , i don't remember right if Riverside and Waterside were to appear on the final game, it would be cool, because some house from the beta looks fantastic, only if i had a tardis
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 18th Nov 2016 at 11:03 PM
thank you frogz2007, i Haven't but now a i looked and never saw those information before, thank you Very Much!!!
Test Subject
#78 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 12:55 PM
I don't believe it for one reason. If you search for it on any news network or EA/Maxis's history or look for any type of sign that it happened, you will not find anything aside from ppl on forums. If there is no proof or evidence it ever happened, then how can ppl confirm it happened. Every game looks different before the final release, imo i think they cut most content like Irma Oldie's Hair, Bob Newbie's beard because they didn't look good enough for them. I'm not saying the fire never happened, i'm just confused how most ppl believe in something that has no record of it ever happening.
Mad Poster
#79 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 1:23 PM
My mind is fuzzy, but I remember something about Will Wright mentioning it in an interview. I wish I could give more details, sadly.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#80 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 1:50 PM
I don't think two was really likely. Given the success of the first game, I doubt EA wanted to sway too much from the feel of the original game. If you play TS2 many of the game themes are the same. Same humour style, same design philosophy, same old-Maxis vibe.

It was the drastic change from 2D and the more cartoon-like art style that made the game seem different, but under that it basically really is The Sims 1 version 2.0. The Sims 3 drastically changed the established core of the series more than 2 did. For 3 went with a drastically different design philosophy which was met with mixed impressions among long-time players when it first released.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#81 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 5:11 PM
The Longhorn scenario is absolutely plausible.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#82 Old 23rd Jun 2017 at 6:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by xxsoulfire123
(here comes a conspiracy theory, dislikes ahoy! also, this isn't serious)

Maybe there wasn't actually a fire. Maybe EA was just being EA and wanted the poor devs at Maxis to start over because they didn't like it and thought this newer version, the one we have today, would bring in more money. Whether that is true or not will never be known.

(end conspiracy theory, as a reiteration, don't take this seriously. )

My conspiracy theory would be some haters or dishonored fans got pissed at what EA did/done, so they sabotage their head quarters, lol.
Test Subject
#83 Old 11th Nov 2017 at 12:44 AM
Well. Back on June 3, 2004, The Sims 2 got a logo change. Here is proof:

Thursday, June 3, 2004
Like Our New Look?
We got a new logo and have updated the site to match! We have also updated the fan site kit so you can have a copy of the new logo.

Take this too:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040610...com:80/news.php
Mad Poster
#84 Old 11th Nov 2017 at 10:14 PM
Flawed as the exchange was ... and it was indeed flawed ... I still miss it. Lots of great tutorials, and a sense of a thriving community. It was the very first place where I hung out (before MTS2 ... but that was only a couple of weeks or so later!) I feel a little sad seeing glimpses of it on Wayback. About the only good thing is that EA did not do to Sims 3 what it attempted to do to Sims 2 ... bury it.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#85 Old 11th Nov 2017 at 10:46 PM
From this link I see one pic that has the (maybe) last stage of alpha build and 1 pic of one of the beta builds of the game.

I named them First Stage of Beta and Last Stage of Alpha but I really don't know what stages they are from all I know if the first one is an alpha build and the 2nd is a beta build.
Screenshots

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
#86 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 9:19 PM
Looking at the quality of game, it is impossible to believe that at some point in time was necessary to create game from scratch because of server fire. But I read an article where the code for the console version of the game was destroyed due to a fire, and the PC version was restored from a certain early development stage because of server fire.
Mad Poster
#87 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
I refuse to believe a fire even happened. Nobody has ever given a single shred of evidence to even come close to implying that it ever happened. It is a stupid rumor that just needs to die... That, and the Maxis Alumni group on Facebook has a post in where several devs said no fire happened during 2's development...

I was rather skeptical of it myself, mostly because of the lack of actual evidence and that most of the things I've heard about it all seem to reference each other.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Theorist
#88 Old 28th Jan 2018 at 11:06 PM
Then there's the ton of abandoned stuff from earlier builds that can still be found in the game data. There's still tons of Sims 1 stuff left. Why would they have put that back in if they had to rebuild it from scratch?

The office fire was cooked up to explain the delay Sims 2 had, the fact that some promised features didn't make the cut (object aging) and that some assets shown in pre-release screens weren't in the game (the Sims Online hairstyles etc) All those things are perfectly normal things to happen during game development.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#89 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 3:15 PM
referring back to object aging, the teddy bear may be a leave over to that. It has it where it is set up to switch to a beaten up old teddy bear appearance. it also, before CEP treatment, had multiple change materials. I suspect that they had something in mind similar to my dress a bear. Either there was going to be several stages of aging, OR they were going to have it where you could change the bear's clothing/appearance. We may never know. Also object depreciation also goes back to that, so that the worth of something goes down over time, til it hits a certain point. Perhaps they decided that all those objects checking to see if they needed to change appearance every day was too much on the computer systems back then. Probably.
Alchemist
#90 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 4:41 PM
I think the bear was going to age. There's some code in it that measures how old it is. Since I don't usually let my Sims have bears, I didn't realize it wasn't being used.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#91 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 4:43 PM
it does get used.

I was pointing out that if you clone the bear without CEP in, there are like 15 or something like that, change materials. So obviously something else was planned. The other part of that was, that it is one of the few remaining things that retains its "change appearance stage as it ages" stage.

There was also a broken bed state remember. That isn't actually used.
Alchemist
#92 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 4:47 PM
Oh does it age? That's cool. I thought that when you said "there were either going to be several stages of aging" that the bear ended up not having any age states at all. I've never seen the broken bed state, but I've seen the broken lamps. Sims were supposed to be able to break them when they were angry, IIRC.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#93 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 4:59 PM
@omglo

In fact they released an image illustrating the lamp breakage:
Mad Poster
#94 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 5:08 PM
All my sim children get a bear..and I am always surprised to see them ending up missing an eye at some point. Yeah...it still surprises me.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Theorist
#95 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 5:14 PM
I remember the recolour option was at first talked about in relation to object aging, the idea was that once a sofa was worn down you coudl either buy a new one, or buy a new recolour for the old one (maybe recolors were more expensive than they are in the finished product?)
It's quite a bummer that stuff never returned in an EP...maybe it was too much of a hassle to include retroactively?
Alchemist
#96 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 5:20 PM
Thanks, simsample. I wish they'd kept that in. Some people hate puddle rage where neat Sims go off on sloppy sims about puddles, but it makes me laugh, and I would've liked lamp rage, too.
Mad Poster
#97 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 5:32 PM
I think throwing dishes-rage would have made more sense than lamp-throwing, but that's just me.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Theorist
#98 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 6:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
I more or less think they intended for teen Sims to accidentally knock them over if they are within a few tiles of it and are running. That, or do you know how teen Sims knock over urns when they're in aspiration desperation? Perhaps that's what they were going for, but with lamps, but then again that image was from when the "Life Score" concept was on Maxis' mind.

If you enable allmenus, an option to "Dispose" lamps is available. It works, too.

Didn't two of the teens fight near the lamp in the video and that destroyed the lamp?
Field Researcher
#99 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 8:45 PM
In any case, this game hides a lot of secrets even now...
Instructor
#100 Old 29th Jan 2018 at 8:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
Someone once explained to me how the rain was supposed to work. That was before seasons, apparently the leftover code from the rain was accessible somewhere in the files and she said it seemed like Maxis was trying to create the rain as many, many little objects and said that she can't imagine that to work on all but the best systems (at the time).

But you are 100% with Sims 2 they were extremely ambitious and they poured their heartblood into it and that is why that game, much more than Sims 3 (let's not even talk about TS4) is so excellent, and vibrant and charming and has enjoys such a long lifespan.
Us all being here, and the Sims 2 and it's expansions still being modeled in Game Stores, prooves that.

*I wish I could like this post million times*

It's so sad that after Will Wright left. The Sims series have become an incomplete cash-grabbing game.

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Page 4 of 7