Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#351 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 8:17 AM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 16th Sep 2014 at 8:33 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nina333
Not a review, but a pretty hilarious Let's Play by LGR:

LGR Plays - The Sims 4 [Duke Cook'em]
Awesome, thanks for posting. I love the way LGR plays.

Woah - he really tortured those poor Sims!

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#352 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 10:27 AM Last edited by Nina333 : 16th Sep 2014 at 10:49 AM.
Gamers think the Sims 4 is “OK” – The results are in

Inc Gamers: The Sims 4 Review

Quote:
As a starting point this isn’t too bad, but I’m not entirely convinced that the inevitable expansion packs can polish this up to The Sims 3 standard. I think the best we can hope for is that EA take The Sims 4 in a genuinely unique direction, using the building blocks here to craft something that’s its own Sims experience which can stand alongside The Sims 3 rather than replacing it – but right now, it’s not there. Instead it’s bland and limited, and those are two words that should never apply to The Sims.

I Played 'The Sims 4,' And It Ended My Decade-Long Journey With The Game

Quote:
For more than a decade, I’ve been addicted to The Sims franchise, owning every game and expansion pack. I’m now 25, and remain addicted to the game. And over the years, The Sims franchise has bypassed all expectations — until The Sims 4.

Quote:
The game had a couple new features to enjoy, but it lacked in evolution. I am genuinely disappointed to say that my decade-long journey with The Sims franchise will end with The Sims 4.
One Minute Ninja'd
#353 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 10:29 PM
While not exactly a review, I did run across this story on IGN today:
EA's Priorities Include Players-First and Digital

with the following excerpt from Andrew Wilson's statements about the new direction of the company for the last year since he took over:

Quote:
Wilson concluded by saying such changes were a marathon rather than a sprint, but he feels positive differences have already been spotted at the company. Citing titles like Battlefield Hardline and Dragon Age: Inquisition, he explained they were delayed because the entire company wants to push innovation and polish to the forefront of every game EA ships.

source : http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09...rst-and-digital

So BF and DA got delays to push innovation and polish to the forefront of "every game that EA ships". I wonder what happened with TS4? Do they really do think they released it with innovation and polish?
Scholar
#354 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 10:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
While not exactly a review, I did run across this story on IGN today:
EA's Priorities Include Players-First and Digital

with the following excerpt from Andrew Wilson's statements about the new direction of the company for the last year since he took over:

source : http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09...rst-and-digital

So BF and DA got delays to push innovation and polish to the forefront of "every game that EA ships". I wonder what happened with TS4? Do they really do think they released it with innovation and polish?

Yes , they do really think that. BF got delayed to include silly walks for soldiers marching to the battlefield to die from embarrassment. DA characters they gave a epic polished wooden staff with a knob on the end. So don't worry, EA will make it work.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#355 Old 16th Sep 2014 at 11:18 PM
My current review in progress site is the official bug report forum at http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4...The-Sims-4-Bugs.
Very helpful and impressive!
Field Researcher
#356 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 7:57 AM
Wired: The Sims 4 Review

Quote:
If you can look beyond the reams of missing material (and shake the cynical belief that those features are only omitted now so some can be added back in through the series' traditional stream of expansion packs and DLC), The Sims 4 is a gentle step forward. It looks great, with fantastic animation and a friendly art style, and its systems and mechanics are easy to learn and get to grips with. Unfortunately, it's too glitchy and too diminished from its predecessors to really win anyone over, especially those returning from those earlier games.
Scholar
#357 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 10:23 PM
Instructor
#358 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
The Zero Punctuation review:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...e-Sims-4-Review

Wow, that guy is hilarious! I love the review. I'm sad to say, it is all too true.

Is it not better to be counted among the strange rather than the incurably stupid? ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Test Subject
#359 Old 17th Sep 2014 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tontrin
Wow, that guy is hilarious! I love the review. I'm sad to say, it is all too true.

I loved that review "Yahtzee" is spot on with EA being greedy barstewards.
Field Researcher
#360 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 10:20 AM
The Sims 4 review (PC): Falls short of its lofty potential

Quote:
The Sims 4 had to do something special to prise fans away from their beloved digital families, and while it includes some interesting twists on the established formula, true innovation is lacking.

Quote:
Like its predecessors, the game is sure to be improved by countless expansion packs going forward, but the promise of future updates may not be enough to console the disappointed Sims 3 fans who have made the jump to the latest instalment.

The Sims 4 asks fans to move into a fixer-upper

Quote:
Once I settled into The Sims 4, I discovered that I didn’t want to go back to The Sims 3. This is definitely an upgrade, but with the small towns, loading screens, and all the missing content, it doesn’t feel quite finished—it’s like moving into a fixer-upper. After a bit of construction you might actually have your perfect house, but it’s going to take some time and will likely be quite expensive.
Instructor
#361 Old 20th Sep 2014 at 10:54 PM
What I don't understand is why people are acting like moods are new. In TS3 you could see their mood by hovering over the happiness bar. TS4 just made it louder.

"There's nothing to writing.
All you do is sit at a typewriter and open a vein."
-Walter "Red" Smith
Lab Assistant
#362 Old 8th Nov 2014 at 2:11 PM
I’ve had some time to play The Sims 4 now, so I feel that I may be able to give somewhat of a proper review now.

There are some things that really get on my nerves with this game that includes:

Why does it take Sims so long to eat now even when you’re eating alone and not interacting with other Sims? I understand this gives you the ability to actually sit down with multiple Sims and have a proper dinner, but they seem to eat far too long than they ideally should. I would like this time reduced unless you’re actually having a conversation/interacting with another Sim. Watching your Sims eat actually isn’t all that enjoyable, honestly.

There also doesn’t really seem to be much of an objective in this game. Ideally, you’re really just checking things off of a list and not really getting any true rewards outside of being able to purchase rewards to make managing your Sim easier. The careers are boring, and I imagined this is why they introduced the new system of having to unlock special objects in buy mode. It doesn’t really feel worth it, though, because the options before the unlocks aren’t really all that limiting to make you feel as if you really unlocked something with worth. There is no real advancement in that aspect, because I can live without what’s locked. I would have actually liked the idea of unlocking things that gave more functionality and playability. The joy of unlocking better TVs that play the same stations (sarcasm).

I don’t know if this is a bug or if it has been fixed since I last played, but I really don’t understand why you don’t take the last name of your Sim after getting married. Not only did they remove toddlers (I can live with it, honestly), but they removed the family tree, removed any connection of marriage besides a simple icon, and limited your interactions with the babies. There is nothing “family” about this game. Again, it seems like we’re going backwards compared to The Sims 3 (Yeah, I don’t think that comparison will ever die down). Making a family in The Sims 4 just doesn’t feel the same and it feels a bit limited. Hell, you can’t really even make true friends, because it only takes a couple of days before you forget they ever existed.

I’m shocked that they really gave you a limited option of things that you can do in terms of the community lots. To be honest, I would have much preferred a “community town” than the additional town that they provided. How nice would it have been if they provided an extra town (for a total of 3) that had nothing but community lots that actually gave you a reason to leave your home! They could have had a supermarket lot to purchase groceries, a library from where you could buy new books, and the possibilities go on. Bars, libraries, and the parks in my opinion are fairly dull and only nice when your home is too small to meet and socialize (parties really make going to community lots not worth it as well). I can’t believe they made everything possible to purchase within that object and the cell phones! Repairing objects and getting the trash is bit annoying, but that could have been another option for a community lot (the junk yard to buy parts and to get scrap). Why the hell does everything break down every other day?

They made the emotions of Sims seem much better and more dynamic than they actually turned out to be in the game, but that’s good marking I assume. Emotions to me don’t really make up for the lack of playability and options, but I do think they’re quite entertaining at times. I wish they were more fluid. The best new feature would have to be the multi-tasking, which I’m shocked they didn’t promote! They spent a lot of time talking about the several different ways you can die and emotions, they left this beauty of a function out, but I guess that’s just nitpicking at this point. But then again, there isn't really much to do, so they didn't really have much to talk about outside of those core features.

At this point, I haven’t really been playing all that much, because I’m not having as much fun with the game like I thought that I would. The new building option is pretty great, but outside of that, I’m kind of twiddling my fingers and waiting for DLC (Yes, you got me again EA). Also, it’s a shame they got rid of the custom coloring/patterning from The Sims 3.

It overall just seems to be lacking the charm that The Sims 3 had, honestly. No desire to achieve, to start a family and to make friends, and to advance most importantly. I really dislike that your Sims don’t have memories, because not only does moving forward seem dull, but there is really no foundation for which your Sims stand on. They’re just there, in their single limited lot. The lack of story progression is also a shame…

Overall, I’m bored. The Sims 4 didn't seem well planned out. Lack of creativity, functionality, and improvement from its older brother, The Sims 3.
Instructor
#363 Old 8th Nov 2014 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BiscoMix
Overall, I’m bored. The Sims 4 didn't seem well planned out. Lack of creativity, functionality, and improvement from its older brother, The Sims 3.

Agreed. And with the most recent set of breaking stuff with a patch I've just been bulldozing all the lots in Willow Creek and building my own places rather than actually play the game.
Page 15 of 15