Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 6:26 PM Last edited by Srikandi : 22nd Oct 2014 at 1:44 AM.
Default MatD Discussions
[Moderator note: Split off from WallEZ thread.]

Thanks, this is great!
I wonder if it would be possible to include the tiling (for floors) in WallEz. I have a texture that was created for 2x2 tiles, and I actually found no version of s4pe that did not corrupt the MATD after editing it, so I have no idea of how to change the entry manually.
It seems to be in field 0x2D4E507E (DiffuseUVScale), there are two values for the tiling (U and V resp. x and y axis).
Default is 1 (floor is 1x1 tile), 2 duplicates the texture (once per quarter tile), 0,5 spreads the texture over 2 tiles (and so on, I guess. Just checked a few original floor MATDs).

Fairy Forest - Downloads for the Sims
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 6:40 PM
@julsfels in the meantime you could experiment with using the dlls from the "preview" version of s4studio for your s4pe? I just realised that this actually seems to work (as in, hasn't blown up yet) .. also because of MATD troubles. Since s4studio can write MATD, I guess all the updates go in there.

(You know what I mean? Make a copy of your s4pe folder, copy everything "s4pi" from the s4studio folder, paste/overwrite)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 6:57 PM
Oh, that´s worth a try! Thank you, I´m gonna test it immediately.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 7:37 PM
Just to let you know -- it works for me!

What I needed it for is add bumps/specs to walls manually (that is also done by editing the MATD) -- all previous attempts (even with a s4pe that had latest commits, i.e. newer than the actual distribution) resulted in the famous disco walls with "???" on them; with those dlls, it finally doesn't break.

Hope it works for you, too!

\o/

(This is also good news for all WallEz users btw -- the wall in question is generated with that, but currently WallEZ won't add bumps/specs)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 8:46 PM
Yay! It works! *OffersYouAPlateWithCookies*

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 8:51 PM
Yay cookies! =D

Test Subject
#7 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 8:55 PM
The .dlls in S4S are written for S4S by Andrew, not as an update to s4pe. it allows the tool to clone the entire wall .package so no editing in s4pe to associate bump and spec is necessary. That is the goal of this tool, to make the creation process fun and easy. The UI for swapping bump and spec maps has not been implemented but the tool still pulls the textures into the new package.
Instructor
#8 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 9:26 PM Last edited by CircusWolf : 21st Oct 2014 at 9:36 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
@julsfels in the meantime you could experiment with using the dlls from the "preview" version of s4studio for your s4pe? I just realised that this actually seems to work (as in, hasn't blown up yet) .. also because of MATD troubles. Since s4studio can write MATD, I guess all the updates go in there.

Uhh, Really, Asking users to take coding from an unstable version of a program and putting it in a semi stable program? How is that logical? Also what about respect for the things other people have made?

Also to note Everything developed for S4S's use is developed Independent of S4PE. Whatever isn't put into S4PE is not the fault of Sims 4 Studio. Trying to Blame Sims 4 Studio for whatever S4PE hasn't gotten in an update yet is pretty disrespectful and downright shady of you to do.

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 9:58 PM
wtf? People just trying stuff out for fun. I didn't see anyone dissing or blaming anything.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#10 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 10:13 PM Last edited by mustluvcatz : 21st Oct 2014 at 10:43 PM.
Levini - if plasticbox (or anyone else) posted a new thread saying "Hey, anyone and everyone try this yada yada yada", I can see where there might be a problem. But she didn't and neither did anyone else. What she did was suggest that an experienced creator try something that might help fix a current problem. It seems to have worked and now there's some knowledge that can probably be used to improve s4pe- or any other program for that matter. Improvement=a good thing. The willingness of others to help those improvements along=an even better thing.

edit: because, yeah.. not walls. Oops. Can I blame having a house full of teenage boys watching vines on YouTube for my having no brain today? So.much.noise. Too.much.testosterone. I may have gotten the walls/floors thing wrong, but my point does still stand, I think.
Test Subject
#11 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 10:29 PM
@mustluvcatz What is the issue with walls? There is no current problem with walls if you're using S4S.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#12 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 10:35 PM
There are issues with seams on walls (no matter what tools are being used), http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=539060

But I think mustluvcatz meant the original issue, what julsfels asked a couple posts above -- that was floors, not walls (but also to do with editing the MATD).

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#13 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 10:46 PM
OK, I edited my post, put myself in my little corner and am going back to the floors I've been working on.
Instructor
#14 Old 21st Oct 2014 at 11:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Levini - if plasticbox (or anyone else) posted a new thread saying "Hey, anyone and everyone try this yada yada yada", I can see where there might be a problem. But she didn't and neither did anyone else. What she did was suggest that an experienced creator try something that might help fix a current problem. It seems to have worked and now there's some knowledge that can probably be used to improve s4pe- or any other program for that matter. Improvement=a good thing. The willingness of others to help those improvements along=an even better thing. .

but her little dig at S4S ("Since s4studio can write MATD, I guess all the updates go in there.") Which is absolutely false is quite disrespectful to the developers of Sims 4 Studio and she shouldn't be saying that. That implies that it's not "just for fun". Telling people to take file structures from S4S and implying that S4S devs are holding back code because S4PE didn't get updated because S4S can do something S4PE and other programs can't is really disrespectful to the people who develop the prog, especially considering this development is independent of S4PE, desite Kuree working with both programs. Also to note she's telling users to take an unstable version's files and put them in S4PE, which if catastrophe ensues will cause blame on no one but the S4S team just doesn't sit right either.

(◐ω◑)
What kind of Sim loves like this?
(◐ω◑)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#15 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 12:03 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 22nd Oct 2014 at 1:57 AM. Reason: Edited since it now is a new thread.
Quote: Originally posted by CircusWolf
but her little dig at S4S ("Since s4studio can write MATD, I guess all the updates go in there.") Which is absolutely false is quite disrespectful to the developers of Sims 4 Studio and she shouldn't be saying that. That implies that it's not "just for fun". Telling people to take file structures from S4S and implying that S4S devs are holding back code because S4PE didn't get updated because S4S can do something S4PE and other programs can't is really disrespectful to the people who develop the prog, especially considering this development is independent of S4PE, desite Kuree working with both programs. Also to note she's telling users to take an unstable version's files and put them in S4PE, which if catastrophe ensues will cause blame on no one but the S4S team just doesn't sit right either.

Matter of fact is: With the dlls from s4s, one can edit a MATD in s4pe without breaking it. With the current s4pe ones, one cannot. From that I can only conclude that the former ones are more up-to-date / complete / working (at least when it comes to MATD) than the ones in the official distribution.

The only one/s who could complain about "disrespect" here would be the author/s of the dll/s in the s4pe distro .. *if* I had posted a long rant here about how s4pe is not working. Which I haven't.

(Edit since you edited while I posted: I really don't know what you mean by "catastrophe ensues" .. maybe consider dialing back on the drama a little bit? Worst case, it breaks, like MATD did in s4pe .. so did the world stop spinning? I don't think so.)

Alchemist
#16 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 12:57 AM
I am sorry to be a little late to this party and I hope my post will not be off the topic at hand. I have read this thread and the thread regarding seams on walls.

From reading this thread it appears that the .dll's made for the wall feature of Sims 4 Studio are able to help creators using s4pe and WallEZ access bump and specular resources that are otherwise not accessible without using Sims 4 Studio itself. Given that it is, unfortunately, going to be awhile before a UI can be made which allows Sims 4 Studio to make floors itself our team is happy that we can still help creators make floors through the use of these .dll's in conjunction with s4pe.

For creators who are working with walls I highly recommend using Sims 4 Studio itself instead of just its .dll's if you need to edit the bump and specular. I say so because S4S will pull these resources into your .package for editing with s4pe and it will do so with the touch of a button. This will save you the time of having to manually edit your .package line by line in Grid.

As far as the issue with wall seams goes, I am sorry to say that these .dll's will not fix that problem. I tested murals using S4S days ago and there are seams showing between the individual panels.

As far as s4pe goes, it is my understanding that Kuree is currently hard at work overhauling the entire RCOL which includes MATD. Once he has completed that work I am certain s4pe will not require .dll's from another tool. In the meantime, as I said, the Sims 4 Studio team is glad to be of help to the community of creators we all count on for the wonderful things they bring to our game.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 22nd Oct 2014 at 4:01 AM
Well, I've finished some part of the RCOL and MATD should work. You can clone NewRCOL branch and build it by yourself. The reason why I didn't include it in the latest build is that I'm frequently changing the code and adding more stuff to it, which makes the wrapper extremely unstable. I believe my last commit just broke some stuff...

But hey, if you're patient enough, you can wait for the new rcol stuff after one or two month. I don't have so much free time as I'm currently a full-time college student. Sorry. But I can release some test builds next time when I release the stable one.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#18 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 1:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
As far as the issue with wall seams goes, I am sorry to say that these .dll's will not fix that problem.

Turns out that the updated s4pi.GenericRCOLResource.dll is exactly what one needs to fix that problem. See here.

#19 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 3:50 PM
In fact you shouldn't need an updated s4pe to address any problem. There is no need to wait for Kuree to release. The actual core of the last verrsion is stable enough. All you need is the right wrappers. As I like to remind people, anyone with c# skills and who knows the data format of a resource can write a wrapper that can simply be dropped into the current s4pe release and just work. Settings/Manage Wrappers allows you to pick whose wrappers you wish to use on any resource type, on a type-by-type basis. Ideally give your wrapper a different name from the one already in there, and let the user pick from the Wrapper Manager rather than overwriting the file itself.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#20 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 4:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
In fact you shouldn't need an updated s4pe to address any problem.

Hm, was there anything in this thread (or somewhere else) that implies the actual exe is too un-updated or something? If it was something I posted, let me know, I could clarify that (maybe the word “release” is a little ambiguous? What I mean by that is “the bundle of stuff you get when you click the download button” (exe and wrappers and everything), not specifially the exe itself.)

#21 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 4:46 PM
I am saying dropping in the Studio wrappers, or anyone else's wrappers into s4pe today is as good as waiting for two months for Kuree to make a new s4pe distribution that includes them.

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#22 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 12:13 AM
Well it’s actually better since it means getting stuff done now and not in two months

Also, the most recent version (1.5.4.1) has a lot fewer of the s4pi wrappers -- 1.5.3.1 is the latest version right now that comes with the GenericRCOLResource one. Available here.

#23 Old 6th Nov 2014 at 3:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Also, the most recent version (1.5.4.1) has a lot fewer of the s4pi wrappers -- 1.5.3.1 is the latest version right now that comes with the GenericRCOLResource one. Available here.

I only see 1.5.4.1 at that link

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#24 Old 7th Nov 2014 at 8:52 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 7th Nov 2014 at 12:28 PM.
Oh LOL. They were still there yesterday .. go figure.

I’m going to reupload them (including source and license), then, so that they remain available. -- uploaded here.

ETA: turns out they didn't include the source for most of the wrappers with 1.5.3.1 either. Did they ever read their own license?