Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 4:01 AM
Extremely Large World File Size?
Okay, so I'm working on a world and I'm noticing that it's taking really long to save. More than half an hour, to be exact. Out of curiousity, I take a look around, and in the WorldCache files, I notice that the objects.package is over half a gigabyte (500,000 kb) in size!

What could potentially be causing these issues? I feel the world really is no larger than other large worlds, it has around 160 lots in total, all fully furnished. Even my last world with its 150 or so lots was only around 100,000 kbs in size. Could be it an object on a lot replicating itself?
Advertisement
Retired
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 7:48 AM
This is an interesting issue. I've found in one of my worlds, Port Piston, which eventually became difficult to even work on due to this issue, an increase in file size with each save, even with no changes to the world.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
In the Arena
retired moderator
#3 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 11:45 AM
While doing a Save in-game (for play-testing), or in-CAW, or in EIG?
Have you tried using ProcMon to see what file is doing most of the stalling during the Save process, if it is a particular .package file? At the very least, you'd know if there are files that are tagged "cannot be read" or "not found" (or whatever it's called) by any of the processes.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 3:31 PM
I have a gut feeling that it's a certain number of lots with certain objects that's the source of the errors.

Something like the whole issue with the Gnubb set duplicating itself.
Theorist
#5 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 3:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
increase in file size with each save, even with no changes to the world.

This has always happened to me, a 'quick' in-game load and save always bloats it up slightly, I can't think of a single reason why a game would ever do that.
It's a worrying prospect, seeing that I have only two savegames.
Before Twallan fixed the Tree Of Prosperity I had a 70 minute save, which then went back to 5 minutes after the fix. You haven't got that installed (not placed!) in your game have you jje?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 3:42 PM
Anyone experimented with a cleanout of the Global Layer?

Or Save As, without one Layer at a time to see how much the filesize of the .world and Object Caches files get reduced ?
Theorist
#7 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 3:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
160 lots in total, all fully furnished

There are probably very few people out there who have such an amount of fully fleshed out lots in one town, so in some respects you are entering uncharted territory with that amount. I know Praaven was almost as packed, but aside from being detail-heavy, there's nothing overly bloated about it that I could see.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 3:50 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 23rd Dec 2013 at 4:31 PM.
The 160 lots are a sum total left over from the world's previous incarnation, I'll try removing the ones that aren't being used and seeing what happens from there on.

Edit: It looks like it hasn't changed anything, if anything, the objects.package file went up in size by another couple kilobytes. Maybe inserting a clean Global layer might help? (I've already done it one, though)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 10:29 PM
Another puzzling factor is that the actual world file isn't all that big, around 50 000 kb in site; it's the extremely large object.package file in the WorldCache file which I think is the source of the slow saving.

Could it be a lost custom object? This was a world that I took over from someone else, so they may have used some CC that I don't have.
dodgy builder
#10 Old 24th Dec 2013 at 9:07 AM
I delete my worldcache file when patching and installing new exp. Stranda has about 150 lots. Is that so much you think? It's about 120mb as sims3pack without population.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Dec 2013 at 8:32 PM
I think when I did a test export a while ago, the size shrank back down to normal.

Really, the only issue this is causing is the fact that it takes so long to save while I'm in EIG. I guess I'll have to be a little more economical with the CAW's EIG option.
Alchemist
#12 Old 25th Dec 2013 at 1:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Stranda has about 150 lots. Is that so much you think? It's about 120mb as sims3pack without population.

150? Okay, I'm starting to panic right now. I have 271 lots in my world and that includes both residential and community. And I just can't even start to imagine about taking any of them out. My world size is curently 127 228 and the world cache file size is 511 994. Well, I guess the exporting takes care of the cache file size but now I'm just worrying about the lots amount. Oh, boy.

The funny thing is that if I count the lot files from the CAW's list, there are huge amount of them more there, than when I count the lots one by one from the map. I think something's maybe gone wonky.
dodgy builder
#13 Old 26th Dec 2013 at 7:38 PM
I'm not using any sims3pack CC, that may be part of the reason. I have finished the project and is only waiting for mts to approve, so I don't have any cache files to check.

I also made a decition very early on what my project would be, making so many big houses has been a useful experience probably, keeping things organized and making priorities ...
Alchemist
#14 Old 27th Dec 2013 at 2:42 AM
I'm not using any third party sims3Pack CC, either. Only some .package CC made by others and some made by me. My world is based on another game, so the workplan is pretty clear. I deleted some lots with a heavy heart and combined some of them, so the lot count is a bit less now but still somewhere around 260, I think. I'll have to open EIG to get new fresh cache file.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 1:53 AM
Sorry for the necrobump, but I've been exploring a bit, and I've found out that texture files actually contribute a large amount to the file size.

The most important thing seems to be (at least for me)- don't use .DDS files as your ground textures- they can actually be quite large in size, and it's redundant since CAW converts your texture files to .DDS files anyways.

Anything else like JPGS are much better.