Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2019 at 9:50 PM
Default No option to attach pictures
When I try to attach pictures the attachment screen doesn't show the things it used to (the search windows). I've tried different ways, different browsers, disabling my security program. Even got the geek squad involved, no solution found. I told them this CAN'T be a site problem, as no one else is talking about this. But maybe someone has seen this (actually DID find the same problem, which was solved by turning off their security).

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#2 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 10:10 AM
Can you screenshot what you do see when you go to attach files?

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Aug 2019 at 9:13 PM
I cannot screenshot. When hit "Go Advanced" I get a screen that shows "additional options", and "attach files". Under Attach Files, where there USED to be fields to search & pick files (pictures) there is ONLY a line about valid file extensions. Clicking on "attach files" does nothing. I have had to stop using Internet Explorer (it freezes on my e-mail page, and any site). I access MTS now via Google Chrome, but I also tried with Foxfire with same results.

Forum Resident
#4 Old 2nd Aug 2019 at 10:54 PM
I was wondering, grammapat, if maybe this is an issue to do with your browser change rather than with the site. For example, I have not had any change with being able to see and use all those sections related to attachments.

Is it possible that you are using some kind of script blocker that you disallowed from blocking MTS only for IE...and need to disallow now from blocking MTS for your new browser(s)?

The other way to check whether the issue is with MTS or is a problem specific to your individual computer setup is to just open MTS once more in IE. If using IE lets you see all the attachment fields and such when looking at a Go Advanced page, then the site's not having an issue---there's just some difference on your machine in how your other two browsers are configured, compared with IE's configuration.

So in that case, once you figure that out, all should look and work normally for you on the site again!

Let us know what happens.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 12:51 AM
Using IE: as I said, I've had a problem with that for about a month (pages freeze); this was BEFORE the problem posting pictures.
NOTE: I have windows 7, which is going to be "unsupported" by end of year and won't be able to access internet AT ALL. AND I have heard others are already having problems - like my inability to navigate sites. I was told that by next year I will have to buy another computer to get into any sites.

Google Chrome: have had this for maybe 4 months. This is the browser I use now.
Foxfire was installed 7-3-19 to test whither Google Chrome was the problem. But the problem happens with either browser.
Tec support from BestBuy tried turning off my security; problem still happened. Script blocker does not exist.

So, unfortunately, none of your suggestions apply.

Forum Resident
#6 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 12:55 AM
Hm. So, you're saying you are having these kinds of problems with other sites as well? The thing is, that would mean that it's not a problem with MTS, and nothing that can be fixed from our end. The problem would only be something that MTS admins could fix if every other site you go to works fine on your system, and only MTS is broken for you.

If that's the case (no site *except* MTS is broken for you) then let us know! Either way, though, good luck with getting your system fixed. I can imagine this all is very frustrating!

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 6:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
Hm. So, you're saying you are having these kinds of problems with other sites as well? The thing is, that would mean that it's not a problem with MTS, and nothing that can be fixed from our end. The problem would only be something that MTS admins could fix if every other site you go to works fine on your system, and only MTS is broken for you.

If that's the case (no site *except* MTS is broken for you) then let us know! Either way, though, good luck with getting your system fixed. I can imagine this all is very frustrating!

------------
No, that is not what I am saying. MTS is almost the only site I go to, & the only site I try to upload pictures. Uploading pictures is the ONLY problem I am having that I am addressing here. I included more info (like problems with browser) only in case that was helpful. Since that does not seem to be the case, lets just concentrate on the uploading pictures screen.

However, as I've mentioned, I really don't think this is a site issue. I am only asking here because computer tecs (BestBuy) said it was not a problem with my computer/set up and I should ask you.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 6:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
------------
No, that is not what I am saying. MTS is almost the only site I go to, & the only site I try to upload pictures. Uploading pictures is the ONLY problem I am having that I am addressing here. I included more info (like problems with browser) only in case that was helpful. Since that does not seem to be the case, lets just concentrate on the uploading pictures screen.

However, as I've mentioned, I really don't think this is a site issue; why would I be the only one? I am only asking here because computer tecs (BestBuy) said it was not a problem with my computer/set up and I should ask you.

The only thing I can think of now is to try my husband's computer. Also a Windows7, he also has Internet Explorer & Google Chrome, but maybe for some odd reason I will get different results.

Forum Resident
#9 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 6:45 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 3rd Aug 2019 at 6:58 PM.
I think that's a great idea! I also have another idea, though, because I can somewhat duplicate your problem.

I cannot screenshot. When hit "Go Advanced" I get a screen that shows "additional options", and "attach files". Under Attach Files, where there USED to be fields to search & pick files (pictures) there is ONLY a line about valid file extensions. Clicking on "attach files" does nothing. I have had to stop using Internet Explorer (it freezes on my e-mail page, and any site). I access MTS now via Google Chrome, but I also tried with Foxfire with same results.

You are entirely correct---all those fields *are* totally missing when first loading on Chrome/Chromium (the two browsers are extremely similar). But it's only a browser-settings issue and not the site. (Which is why I was asking about your experience with other sites, since Chrome is relatively new for you.)

In Chromium, there's a red icon in the address bar whenever I Go Advanced, and when I click it, it asks whether it should load the insecure page content. If you click yes, all those fields are displayed again. This happens because those upload-choice fields/details are coming over http, not https, so the browser automatically blocks them.

The way to get to that setting may be slightly different for you as a Chromium/Chrome difference, but I am guessing you have it. So check your address bar and see, and if the setting isn't there, we can go from there!

ETA: Here is a third-party article that explains how to fix the issue; to expand on their description of what you need based on what I'm seeing on other help articles, it's a small silver shield icon you'll be looking for---but it's in the address bar as I described.

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#10 Old 3rd Aug 2019 at 8:22 PM
U
NOTE: I have windows 7, which is going to be "unsupported" by end of year and won't be able to access internet AT ALL. AND I have heard others are already having problems - like my inability to navigate sites. I was told that by next year I will have to buy another computer to get into any sites.

That is completely false. The end of life cycle only means that there will be no more security updates, and they will not update it for newer hardware. The OS will still work but you may be more vulnerable to security risks. Firefox and Chrome are both independent software programs from your OS. End of life cycle does not start until January 2020, so any browser related issues you are having are not related to that. You can also just update your current computer to Windows 10 by purchasing the software from Microsoft, Amazon, or other trusted software site.

Are you sure you are scrolling far enough down to see the attachment sections? You can still provide a screenshot of your issue by using a third party image host.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Aug 2019 at 2:08 AM
Thanks; guess I will just have to see what happens. Will NOT go to Windows 10. How would I upload a pic from a 3rd party if I can't get to the attachment field? And of course I am "scrolling far enough". I will try to find the setting talked about by Natboopsie

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Aug 2019 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
In Chromium, there's a red icon in the address bar whenever I Go Advanced, and when I click it, it asks whether it should load the insecure page content. If you click yes, all those fields are displayed again.
The way to get to that setting may be slightly different for you as a Chromium/Chrome difference, but I am guessing you have it. So check your address bar and see, and if the setting isn't there, we can go from there!

ETA: Here is a third-party article that explains how to fix the issue; to expand on their description of what you need based on what I'm seeing on other help articles, it's a small silver shield icon you'll be looking for---but it's in the address bar as I described.

======
Nothing works. There is no "silver shield", only a red "stop sign", says ABP (add blocker plus). Went to settings/general and advanced -- there is nothing about load insecure page. ALSO have Foxfire browser, same problem, and no access to do as suggested

Forum Resident
#13 Old 4th Aug 2019 at 7:10 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 4th Aug 2019 at 7:52 PM. Reason: adding link, changing wording
Happy Sunday, grammapat!

As far as uploading pics the way that HugeLunatic mentioned, that would definitely sidestep your issues viewing the image chooser boxes normally. You'd upload your screenshot to a service such as imgur.com and then copy and paste just the link (URL) for that hosted image into your post, as you would normally paste in any other kind of URL when posting. Your image itself will not show within your post on MTS when you do it that way. However, everyone viewing your post can see your link to that image and can view it by clicking to get to the version of the image that you uploaded to the hosting site.

There's even services specifically designed to facilitate third-party hosting of screenshots (rather than just of images in general, like imgur); one example of those screenshot-hosting services is gyazo.com.

Back to your issue, I still think trying with Chrome or Firefox on your husband's computer is a great idea---definitely suggest you try it and see what happens! I know you think it would be odd to get different results there, but because your issue is clearly a browser-configuration issue and nothing to do with MTS, it actually wouldn't be strange at all if you can see everything just fine on his browsers. In fact, that's especially likely if he regularly goes to many more websites than you do, because in that case he's probably already got his browser set up so it doesn't cause him these kinds of problems with viewing a whole variety of different sites. And perhaps in that case he can help you do the same.

But also...remember when I was asking you about script blockers, and you were saying they don't exist for you? Well, if you have Adblock Plus (their icon is that red stop-sign you mention seeing in your address bar!), that *is* a script blocker, just the kind I was asking about. Which is great, because the thing is---we've already established that your problem is nothing to do with MTS but is completely with the way that your Firefox and Chrome are currently behaving. Basically, both your newest browsers are too strictly preventing you from viewing certain elements. This means many sites, not only MTS, will look broken to you until this is fixed.

Knowing you have Adblock Plus is key because one reason that any browser might behave this way is that an add-on component---particularly a script blocker such as Adblock Plus!---needs its settings tweaked to make it stop being so restrictive. (Script blockers such as ABP are designed so that their rules for viewing will be enforced first, so they effectively always will override whatever your browser's actual settings are.) This is such a common problem that ABP has a whole help topic about what to do whenever it breaks websites.

But before we get to that, let's first see whether Adblock Plus *is* the problem. Please disable Adblock Plus completely (see this FAQ item from ABP themselves to find out how; basically, just click on the stop sign and then click on the first option in the box that pops up). Once you've done that, pretend to upload click Go Advanced on MTS and see if everything looks normal again. Let us know what you find!

Also, good for you with looking in your browser settings to see whether you could find anything about insecure sites. The reason you couldn't find anything is just because that isn't likely to be listed as a stand-alone option. That is, if it *isn't* Adblock Plus that's causing your issue, then you'll have to dig deeper into any browser-settings sections that have labels such as Security, Privacy, or Site Settings. What you'd be looking for is something that stops the browser from loading third-party elements or insecure (HTTP) elements.

But for now, let's focus on the other options above (experimenting with your husband's computer's browser and disabling Adblock Plus on your two browsers).

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#14 Old 5th Aug 2019 at 10:33 AM
Just out of curiosity, which url *specifically* do you use to access MTS? Is it:

1. http://www.modthesims.info/
2. https://www.modthesims.info/
3. https://www.modthesims.info/
4. https://classic.modthesims.info/
5. Something else. (Please specify)

Please note the http/https is important here.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.