Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Oct 2018 at 6:41 AM
Default What if there was a database of modified global resources?
We have a GUID database to make sure that no one creates an object with the same GUID as another object, but if you are creating a mod that modifies or creates new global resources, the only way we have of knowing that no other mod modifies those resources just based on what other mods we know about. For example, there are a limited number of global BHAVs, as they only go from 0x000 to 0xFFF, and a number of those are used by the game. If two mods modify the same global BHAVs, they are fundamentally incompatible, perhaps in a way that can corrupt a neighborhood. I thought about this when I was making my extended family mod, which defines five new global BHAVs which are called every time you mouse over a sim. I had to make them globals, because they had to be called by existing BHAVs that were also globals, but I didn't know what other mods defined new globals at the time and just had to hope for the best.

What if there was a database where modders could say "my mod involves custom global BHAV 0x###" and then other people making mods could use the database to make their mods compatible with as many other mods as possible, or at the very least be able to tell their users which mods their mod will conflict with? I don't think there are any global BHAVs that InTeen doesn't touch, but we could still achieve some degree of compatibility with everything else.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 13th Oct 2018 at 2:12 AM
I so agree, it would be useful, but there are already so much old DR mods out there... unless we find a courageous team to go through all of them ...

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Oct 2018 at 3:25 AM
Do default replacements modify global resources? I was mostly thinking about BHAVs and hacks. I think for a default replacement, it should be enough to say "this is a default replacement of X, don't use it with other default replacements of X".
Mad Poster
#4 Old 18th Oct 2018 at 6:10 PM
Default replacements (meshes/recolors) doni't usually modify anything else than the needed resources, so usually texture + mesh + OBJD data if it's a catalog issue. Wouldn't think they modify anything else.
Instructor
#5 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 5:53 PM
Sorry for using the words "default replacement", it's just that everytime a mod modifies an existing behaviour in the game, it's default in my odd mind. The real thing is that, if you're using a new number of Global BHAV, it's not a default and shouldn't conflict with the game (only other CC mods using those numbers). However, a "little" search is still needed to find all the Bhav already used. I think Chris Hatch uses some of them ... Globals pack by Dickhurt too ...

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 12:44 AM
Yes, there are a bunch of mods that create new global resources, and there's no list. That's what I mean.