Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
#26 Old 8th Jul 2006 at 7:52 PM
Who said it was?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 8th Jul 2006 at 7:56 PM
You where insinuating that they meant for it to be racist and I was exagerating for purpose of humour. :p

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written.

Oscar Wilde
(1854 - 1900)
#28 Old 8th Jul 2006 at 8:06 PM
Oh okay. I think they wanted to cause a stir, that's for sure.
Test Subject
#29 Old 8th Jul 2006 at 8:16 PM
Well I think being a company they would avoid things of that kind of stir, its an advertising misshap, is all their is. Sony is falling and falling if they keep it like this to add with the damge of PS3 price. (Im bittier) :P

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written.

Oscar Wilde
(1854 - 1900)
#30 Old 8th Jul 2006 at 9:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kanzaki
In another ad, the model representing the black psp has the model representing the white psp on her back... is that racist?

They're showing you this ad, because it's the one they want to you see and supports their claim. I'll dig up a link to the other ad and bring it back here.

edit: picture lifted from Sony Europe

That could be racist too, since the black girl is now being dominate to the white girl....but I have to admit after actually bothering to look through the whole thread it DOES seem a bit....well....over-blown....
#31 Old 8th Jul 2006 at 10:31 PM
This advertisment can also show the equality of blacks and whites. and if the ads only showed white than some blacks would it offencive. so any way some people might find it offencive. But the thing about the picture that this is about is bad because of the way that the woman is grabing the man.
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#32 Old 9th Jul 2006 at 3:19 AM
It is Sony's traditional campaign... they go for a bit of controversy. Always have.

As shown there are more ads than the one being picked on and the black person is not always in the submissive possition.

It is no different to a series of billboard ads over here with a naked black man and a white woman embracing to represent cookies and cream icecream.

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
#33 Old 9th Jul 2006 at 3:53 AM
My first impression of that picture was that Sony was just making a contrast, white and black. If it were racist, I certainly would have felt offended. But I don`t. Besdies, the ad is in Holland. Do people over there feel any that its racist? Its one thing to bit@@ and moan if the ad is in your own country but its another thing to do it when its in another country where cultural beliefs may be different.

god, this reminds me of the time when the U.S. made a big deal over the commemorative Memin Pengin stamps that Mexico came out with.
Instructor
#34 Old 9th Jul 2006 at 2:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by discordkitty
You do realize that Holland was one of the biggest slave trading countries in the Age of Ships and the English empires in the West Indies etc

You people turn be religious ... there must be a god.

No, it was NOT ... Portugal was but Holland never had the sea power or colonies to engage in slave trading.

Brazil have a large former slave population that come from Portugal "slave triangle", Indonesia was Holland lagest colony and notice how its "black free".

If you did not had a position in africa you were pretty much left out of slave trafic ... Portugal, France and England had then as Holland was at most on a private level, Spain also engaged on slavery but being cut off africa they had to deal with portuguese, french and english slave traders.

Another thing, we europeans abolished slavery without end up having a civil war over the subject (and before some countries on the west side of the Atlantic ocean did) ... PLUS we have been slaves as well or you think that slavery was just done to black people?

I am portuguese, before the english were trading in african slaves we were doing it.
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
#35 Old 9th Jul 2006 at 3:34 PM
The Dutch imported slaves from Asia into their colony in South Africa.

The Middle Passage, the crossing of the Atlantic to the Americas, endured by slaves laid out in rows in the holds of ships, was only one element of the well-known triangular trade engaged in by Portuguese, Dutch, French and British.

The first recorded slaves in the United States, in 1619 twenty Africans were brought by a Dutch man of war and sold to the English colony of Jamestown, Virginia as indentured servants.
Instructor
#36 Old 9th Jul 2006 at 3:57 PM
The Dutch never had anything in America ... well not for long, they tried to control what is today Brazil but they were kicked ou.

And yes, for about 100 years they were a sea power (before the english run then out) and I dont think they "imported" asians to africa ... there are no records of slave trading from asia to any other place (well outside sex slaves and the illegal "immigration") and bring slaves to africa was rather stupid ... then again its the dutch we are talking about.
Test Subject
#37 Old 9th Jul 2006 at 4:27 PM
I think Sony are being extremely clever. It's a brilliant marketing campaign. Because even thought they are bing ridiculed for a "racist" ad, their advert is getting on news stations and web forums and they don't have to pay for it at all. Also, even when they are being ridiculed, theycan just say, well, it's only in one country and it's not meant to be offensive anyway, and they've still got their product into people's heads so that when they see it on the news they'll think "Bad taste ad, cool colour though. I might get one."

It's ingenious. An international marketing campaign for the price of a national one.

By the way, let's stay on topic, this isn't a thread about any slavery Holland may or may not have done in the past.
#38 Old 18th Jul 2006 at 1:53 PM
I was about to comment the same thing, A1iensim. I highly doubt they created this campaign to be racist but they achieved their goal - it's provoking the reactions they wanted and getting everyone to debate about it, and thus everyone is talking about the PSP now. Mission accomplished.
#39 Old 19th Jul 2006 at 4:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rynoboy700
most people in america only count it racist if a white is doing something mean or wrong to a black (this is in america)

Yup your right! Anytime white person does something mean or wrong to a black person everyone goes crazy and gets upset and says they are being racist, but i bet if it were the black girl on the white girl no one would care. This annoys me alot. I have nothing against black people because some of my family and freinds are black but i hate when they get all crazy about things like this because it wasnt meant to be racist and when black people do something mean to a white person theres not a whole big controversy over it. I dont understand the logic of all of this. They need to stop thinking everyone is being racist against them! Oh well i guess this will never end.

Page 2 of 2