Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#76 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 3:37 PM
Sorry for the delay guys. My focus has been pulled in multiple directions, lately.

@RawrFizz & @tanknix,
it is up to you if you want to use EA's settings for Uber.
Originally the first few cards listed on Uber level are the HD 69xx and GTX 69x series. If we stricly follow the GPU hierarchy, both of your cards, the HD 6700 & gtx 660 are a medium-range level, ie under "cardLevel $cardLevelHigh". But then again, EA lumps the Nvidia GTX, GTS and GT all under "cardLevel $cardLevelUber", when they are actually of different classifications. Due to not knowing any better or sheer laziness, I cannot say. Plus, now I noticed that there's 2 "$cardLevelMedium" entries...

@michel.le,
Please post the DeviceConfig.log report excerpt (the part as shown in the FAQ). I need the Device ID so I can determine if the DeviceConfig.log is also getting confused.
What is your actual card? If you truly have the "HD 4500 Series", the log returning a "Found:1" result is correct. And your issue is not due to this cause, ie your card is found.
Your issue maybe an outdated driver (which I know AMD/ATI has discontinued) as this model is now deemed a "legacy" model. It could also be that the Advanced Rendering option is not enabled? Finally, the bad news is that the card may now be too old to cope with Sims 3 on current patches and the latest packs. Other than dark screens, can the game run? It loads without crashing, etc? If you have not already done so, and you still want to troubleshoot playing Sims on this machine, you should create your own Help thread as the cause is out of the scope of this one.

@Alexbaybee,
it should work for switchable graphics if Sims is using the dedicated one during gameplay. Which card is showing up in DeviceConfig.log?

@FabulousZombie,
since you have your own thread, I'm ignoring this post.

@Bhallid,
that is the problem with an onboard graphics. The game is on borrowed time from the start. The time is just ticking down to a day that it would stop working. Read
- Game Help:Your Computer is Like a Carwiki
- Game Help:Onboard Graphicswiki
Unless you have dual, switchable graphics?

@demon_puppy,
what patch version are you running? Can you provide the full path to the location where you looked?

@Tiki,
The entry in the GraphicsCard.sgr should have the "0x" like so
Quote:
card 0x11c6 "GeForce GTX 650 Ti"

You do not need to edit the GraphicsRules.sgr file; see my reply to @RawrFizz & @tanknix above.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#77 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 9:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharmed

@Tiki,
The entry in the GraphicsCard.sgr should have the "0x" like so
You do not need to edit the GraphicsRules.sgr file; see my reply to @RawrFizz & @tanknix above.

Thank you for the reply ella! And I hit myself over the head for not noticing that! I did add the "0x" infront of the device number and it did work. It no longer gives me the message of unrecognized card. However all the default settings in the game are now set to the lowest settings on everything and the setting for showing detail lots is set to one and will not let me change it. I looked in the DeviceConfig to see if it found my card and it still says "Options. Default Options". Is there something else I should be doing that I am not? Thanks for all your help! It is greatly appreciated!!
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#78 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 4:24 AM
Have you removed the Options.ini file and force the game to recreate a fresh one? And then be sure to click on "Restore Defaults" in the Options screen (graphics tab), or tweak something, go out to the gameplay screen, Save, exit to Main Menu, reload Save. Then, "Restore Defaults" again. Any difference?

Or you may need to Quit and reload a couple of times (also after regenerating the Options.ini file). Sometimes, this edits take a couple of game loads to kick in. Just another one of those EA idiosyncrasies.
Test Subject
#79 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 7:03 PM
Hello! I have a new HP Touchsmart 15 with an NVIDIA GeForce GT740M. My problem started cos my game crashed and CLA told me it was a graphics card issue, so I went to look at my DeviceConfig. and it said I was on an Intel card. When I followed the tutorial word for word (all the way down to the clearing of my caches, only then did the "your graphics card can't be found" error pop up. My DeviceConfig was completely blank after following the tutorial. I just put my original files back in to force the DeviceConfig to generate info and this is what's showing:

=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Name (database): Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 [Found: 0, Matched: 1]
Vendor: Intel
Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 0416, Board: 1963103c, Chipset: 0006
Driver: nvumdshim.dll, Version: 9.18.13.1141, GUID: D7B78E66-4756-11CF-F977-6E39BBC2C435
Driver version: 1141
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 1792MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1

Again, I followed the entire tutorial step by step and word for word so I don't know why it's only happening after editing.
Test Subject
#80 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 10:25 PM
Have you removed the Options.ini file and force the game to recreate a fresh one? And then be sure to click on "Restore Defaults" in the Options screen (graphics tab), or tweak something, go out to the gameplay screen, Save, exit to Main Menu, reload Save. Then, "Restore Defaults" again. Any difference?

Or you may need to Quit and reload a couple of times (also after regenerating the Options.ini file). Sometimes, this edits take a couple of game loads to kick in. Just another one of those EA idiosyncrasies.

OK, I removed the Options.ini file and let it create a new one. I went into game and everything was still on the lowest settings. Clicking "restore default" did nothing, so I changed one setting up to medium, went to gameplay saved and went to main menu. When I loaded that saved game, all the defaults where back to the lowest setting, even the one I had changed. I restarted the entire game 5 times to see if the change would take, and that did nothing. All the settings where still on the lowest. I also checked the "defaultconfig", and it's still showing "options, default options".
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#81 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 4:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tiki
When I loaded that saved game, all the defaults where back to the lowest setting, even the one I had changed.
This tells me that there's some permission issue on the file that the game cannot re-write it once it is created. Test with new user folders. Thus, you need to create a new game, mess around with the Options, Save & Quit; then reload.
Test Subject
#82 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 7:19 PM
When I went in to try to create a new game, the world looked all white. It let me choose a family and I wen into game mode everything looked ok, but once I went into options and tried to change the graphics settings, the game completely froze up on me when I clicked on the accept changes. I had to ctrl alt delete to end the Sims game. I am thinking maybe this is not going to work for me for some reason.
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#83 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 6:18 AM
@xoxoC,
Oooh! I'm so jealous! Is that a new laptop with a Haswell Processor? Alas, any onboard graphics is still going to use "Shared Memory" and has no "dedicated memory" of its own, no matter how new and shiny it is. So you have to make sure the game is switching to the Nvidia GT740M during gameplay. This might help Guide: Two Graphics Cards? How to make Sims stop using the integrated one

And when you do the "Getting new graphics cards recognized" guide you have to check that the GT 740M is the one listed, not the Intel HD.

@Tiki, this indicates something is wrong, indeed.
Quote:
When I went in to try to create a new game, the world looked all white...the game completely froze up on me ... I had to ctrl alt delete to end the Sims game...
Restore the Orig .sgr files and test again with new user folders. If it still happens, you need to uninstall the last game you installed or patched.

Example:
- If you last patched (ie installed 1.55 from 1.54 after installing IP first), you need to uninstall the base game and repatch to 1.55.
- If you last installed IP (after patching to 1.55 first), then you need to just uninstall and reinstall IP.

If both of those don't work, and uninstall base+IP and reinstall+repatch.
Now, last resort when the above don't work is a FULL uninstall of all Sims 3 stuff, including Origin if you have it.

@glassgirl,
you have a bigger issue than just having a card that the game don't recognize. I've split your post off to its own thread.
Test Subject
#84 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 3:33 PM

@Tiki, this indicates something is wrong, indeed. Restore the Orig .sgr files and test again with new user folders. If it still happens, you need to uninstall the last game you installed or patched.

Example:
- If you last patched (ie installed 1.55 from 1.54 after installing IP first), you need to uninstall the base game and repatch to 1.55.
- If you last installed IP (after patching to 1.55 first), then you need to just uninstall and reinstall IP.

If both of those don't work, and uninstall base+IP and reinstall+repatch.
Now, last resort when the above don't work is a FULL uninstall of all Sims 3 stuff, including Origin if you have it.

I replaced the .sgr.orig files with the original .sgr files and everything is fine again. I was able to start a new game with no issues and all looked good. Ah well, I guess maybe I have an oddball situation here. I guess I should not complain, my graphics look good and I don't really have any issues. I just wanted the game to recognize my graphics card. I do thank you for all your help ella!
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#85 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 4:27 PM
Wrong entries in the edits, perhaps? Tried a do-over?
Test Subject
#86 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 4:46 PM Last edited by xoxoC : 9th Jul 2013 at 5:10 PM.
Aye caramba, so that was my problem all along! No wonder the ID numbers looked so weird. Thanks muchly!

(Edit)
I followed the tutorial you linked. NVIDIA says the new card is being used but the DeviceConfig says the Intel one is still being used. This is really confusing o_O
Test Subject
#87 Old 11th Jul 2013 at 3:41 PM Last edited by hahnfruh : 11th Jul 2013 at 5:51 PM.
Managed to fix everything. The two Graphics files had a wrong ending (.sgr instead of .srg and I also added the 0x in front of the ID. Original problem can be seen in the spoiler below.

Test Subject
#88 Old 13th Jul 2013 at 12:50 AM
Default ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
Hi. This might be a stupid question, but here it goes.

I have looked through the GraphicsCards file, and cannot find anything that resembles my graphic card's name or I just don't know what to write.

The DeviceConfig says the following:

Name (driver): ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
Name (database): ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 [Found: 0, Matched: 1]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 68c1, Board: 036e1025, Chipset: 0000
Driver: atiu9pag, Version: 8.14.1.6099, GUID: D7B71EE2-2B81-11CF-4664-6F23A1C2C535
Driver version: 6099
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 2800MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1

I just can't find anything that resembles the mobility radeon - is that because it isn't important? And I read something about integrated graphic cards - is mine one of those?

Please help and thanks
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#89 Old 14th Jul 2013 at 5:09 PM
Isn't that interesting? All the Mobility models are really really old!

Quote:
card 0x68c1 "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650"
@Itzen,
copy and paste the above below the first line that says "vendor "ATI" 0x1002" in the "GraphicsCards.sgr" file. You may want to add spaces to line it up with the rest if it is not indented.

The "GraphicsRules.sgr" does not need editing. But if we are to remain true to the GPU hierarchy, this card is not of an "UBER" level calibre card. But a "$cardLevelMedium". However I don't want to add complexity to the FAQ by requiring folks fine-tune the Graphics Rules. Which would also introduce higher chances of user-errors. So until EA edits these files themselves, try to play on lower settings and for shorter periods per game session. Because the current UBER rules would mean, this GPU would be worked hard beyond its capabilities when the game is running.
Test Subject
#90 Old 19th Jul 2013 at 5:04 PM Last edited by ellacharmed : 5th Sep 2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Merged posts: 4195516, 4195532
Default double-posts merged
i have followed your tutorial on how to get the game to recognize my graphics card...but i am having a hard time finding the files to change with the orig extension. here is what i find when i go into the Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

i am thinkin im obviously doin something wrong...just not sure what...i have the expansions world adventures, island paradise, ambitions, generations, pets, and late night. Never had any problems with freezing until i got island adventures. here are the specs of my laptop. please any info would be appreciated!

toshiba sattelite c875d
graphics AMD A4-4300 APU with radeon

OHH i forgot to add my device config...

Quote: Originally posted by extracted from above bits
Name (driver): AMD Radeon HD 7420G
Name (database): AMD Radeon HD 7420G [Found: 0, Matched: 1]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 9992, Board: fb431179, Chipset: 0000
Driver: aticfx32.dll, Version: 8.17.10.1172, GUID: D7B71EE2-DAD2-11CF-5D76-49DBBEC2C535
Lab Assistant
#91 Old 22nd Jul 2013 at 6:04 PM
I asked this at the official forum but I trust I'll get quicker/better replies here so I'll give it a shot.

So I got a brand new computer and I had been getting crashes left and right. After getting help at the Sims Daily it seems like the card is too new and the game doesn't recognize it. I've been following all these steps but I am stuck at the GraphicsRules file. Could anyone please help me with this? My card is a GeForce GT 740M but I am so very confused as to what to replace on this file. There are so many NVIDIA options I have been staring at the file for far too long unable to figure it out.

Also does it matter where I add the card number (0x0416 etc...) on the GraphicsCards file? I would rather get help with that too and make sure I have it right if it is not a big problem.
Field Researcher
#92 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 5:35 AM Last edited by Kayleena : 18th Aug 2013 at 7:44 AM.
I'm not sure I did this right... I edited the GraphicsCard file, but it looked as though I didn't have to edit the GraphicsRule file...

I have a GeForce GTC 660 card, but the 0x____ was different than what was in the Card file. It was 11c0, so I added 0x11C0 ________. When I opened the Rules file, it seemed that I didn't have to add the 6?? line because there was one already there? There were multiple GTX 660 cards in the Card file, so I didn't edit the Rules file. I'm not sure if I should have edited or not...

It seems this topic has been inactive for a little while, but if anyone sees this and can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to load my game right now, but I have a black screen and it says it's not responding. Which is normal for this computer. Usually it loads after a little waiting. If it happens to not load at all, then I'll put the original files back in the Bin folder until I can make sure I'm doing this properly.

Edit
I used my original files and the game never loaded. I should have mentioned that I have to bypass the launcher because for some reason it fails to load. That's an issue I was working on, but now that the game won't load at all, I think I need to uninstall and reinstall. By that time, maybe I can do this properly. If I'm not familiar with something, I usually mess it up, haha. But if I get more help and guidance, I'll be able to do it right.

Edit
So I've reinstalled my game (all EPs and Sps) and my graphics are defaulted to the higher settings. I'm assuming that I don't need help anymore because if the game wasn't reading the new card, the settings would be lower. I clicked Restore Defaults and it seems that the default is high.
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 19th Aug 2013 at 11:08 AM Last edited by autumnfoxx : 23rd Aug 2013 at 12:53 PM.
Please help me with my card
Hi. I am in need of some help.

My game has recently started crashing a lot. Lately I can't play at all. The crash analyzer tells me: Warning: Graphic Device(s) Not Found in Database 0x11c2 "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST"

I have tried following your guide here: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...zed_by_the_game
Unfortunately I get lost pretty quickly. Could you be more specific as to what I need to change for this card? I have no idea. Apparently the 650 is in the list, but not the Ti Boost.

Also is this even the problem? My Device Config Says this:

=== Rating info ===
GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2931 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 3508 RAM: 8187 Adjusted RAM: 7675 Cores: 4

Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST [Found: 0, Matched: 1]
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 11c2, Board: 36583842, Chipset: 00a1
Driver: nvd3dum.dll, Version: 9.18.13.2641, GUID: D7B71E3E-5282-11CF-A351-55161CC2C435
Driver version: 2641

More Info:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130708-1532)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P55A-UD3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU K 875 @ 2.93GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8188MB RAM

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST

I'm desperate for help here. Thanks

UPDATE: Since this thread seems somewhat abandoned I did try to solve this myself. I edited the graphicscards.sgr file only, and it seems to be finding it now. It was editing the other file (graphicsrules) that confused me so I skipped it.

Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
Name (database): GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST [Found: 1, Matched: 1]

Game isn't crashing right now, but it could be because I used MasterController to reset everything in town. Hard to know. I'll update later if it starts crashing again.

UPDATE: The problem was custom content. My apologies.

---> Do your part <---
Support a free site today
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#94 Old 5th Sep 2013 at 1:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by htrdmark
i have followed your tutorial on how to get the game to recognize my graphics card...but i am having a hard time finding the files to change with the orig extension.
That's because you have to rename it to have the .orig extension. The original files have .sgr extension. And the device 0x9992 is not in the .sgr files; even with patch 1.57 installed. So you do have to add the line(s) yourself. The freezing issue may be exacerbated by that weak APU processor in the laptop. Coupled with the integrated GPU AMD Radeon HD 7420G, the game is not going to run well on that machine. If you need more hand-holding to edit the sgr files, I'll be around these 2 weeks.
Quote: Originally posted by vanillabuzz
Also does it matter where I add the card number (0x0416 etc...) on the GraphicsCards file?
Yes, of course it does. Would you give someone's salary to another person, especially if they have different roles, responsibilities and capabilities? You need to put it under the correct vendor, but within that vendor's section it won't matter. But it is easier to search for it if it is arranged in the sorted order that EA has established; in case you need to open the file and edit it again. If you need more hand-holding to edit the sgr files, I'll be around these 2 weeks.
Quote: Originally posted by Kayleena
It was 11c0, so I added 0x11C0 ________. When I opened the Rules file, it seemed that I didn't have to add the 6?? line because there was one already there?
The 0x11c0 card is still missing. If it was never added and the Default setting is at High, means the game is forcing it to work beyond the card's capabilities. Seems this is the default with patch 1.5x and Island Paradise games. Pushing a GPU pass its limits might shorten its lifespan because it is forced to work harder. Just like when you force yourself to run further and faster, you get tired faster than when you jog at a leisurely pace as per your fitness level.
Quote: Originally posted by autumnfoxx
UPDATE: The problem was custom content. My apologies.
Glad you managed to resolve things by yourself, just the same.
Test Subject
#95 Old 6th Sep 2013 at 11:01 PM
Hi, I had a similar problem to xoxoC in that only the integrated graphics card was being detected. However, after I followed the tutorial you linked, NVIDIA says the new card is being used but the DeviceConfig says the Intel one is still being used. I'm using a GeForce 750M, if that helps, but DeviceConfig is still saying Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600.
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#96 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 3:38 AM
@Shashoona,
did you remember to remove the previous DeviceConfig.log file? Sometime, the settings are not refreshed after just one reload of the game. Even better if you use a clean user folder to test.
By the way, which option did you use to make sure the Nvidia card is the one in use? Disabled it in BIOS or just tweaked Nvidia's Control Panel to set the discrete GPU for Sims 3?
Test Subject
#97 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 9:58 AM Last edited by Shashoona : 7th Sep 2013 at 2:34 PM.
I did delete the config file, and the one that replaced it was also using the integrated card. I changed cards by tweaking Nvidia's control panel. Was that wrong?

Also, am I right in saying that these issues with my graphics card are what's causing my screen to get darkened in fullscreen mode?
Test Subject
#98 Old 16th Sep 2013 at 11:28 PM Last edited by witchwq : 16th Sep 2013 at 11:55 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by xoxoC
Aye caramba, so that was my problem all along! No wonder the ID numbers looked so weird. Thanks muchly!

(Edit)
I followed the tutorial you linked. NVIDIA says the new card is being used but the DeviceConfig says the Intel one is still being used. This is really confusing o_O

Troubles ahead! I already made a topic about that in the sims 3 forums and found another person with the same trouble. All of us have intel hd 4600 and GeForce series 7 (xoxoC - 740,Shashoona - 750, me - 750, 4th person - 780 I think).

Looks like there is something new about managing switching cards. Everything is set up in Nvidia Panel, nvidia icon in the taskbar says it's running the sims 3, but in deviceconfig it only says intel (Found 0, Matched 1). I made some testing and game reacts to changes in Nvidia Panel, so it is indeed run by GeForce not intel.

And all would be OK if I did not encounter the game crashing due to unsufficient graphics capability. I'm lost.

I already spend hours on nvidia tech chat, have beta drivers, tweaked some settings in programs I didn't know they even exist (as advised by nvidia tech guys). Nothing.

I uninstalled intel drivers (had them from acer website) and replaced them by those from intel website (newer). Nothing.

Oh, and every time I change something I let the game generate new deviceconfig file. And it always says the same...

I would disable this stupid intel in BIOS, but that's not possible in Acer BIOS. And turning off intel by Device Manager results in both cards not working (but that is as it always was, my previous laptop did the same, and it had integrated GF 9100 and dedicated GF 9600).

I can provide screenshots of my settings and results of my tests (why I think game is run by geforce not intel) - it is very visible. So why this game won't even detect GeForce?

In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#99 Old 18th Sep 2013 at 7:56 AM
Those with dual GPUs from the newer generations / models, do you guys add both of the GPUs in the sgr files or just the dedicated one?

If you cannot disable the Integrated via BIOS, means the manufacturer has installed a BIOS that turns off that feature. There are usually hacked versions out there that someone has uploaded, but you use it at your own risk. Not to mention, the warranty may be void.
But then again, if the OEM gets lots of complaints on their forums or the blogoshpere is loud about condemning this "feature", they would sometimes offer the new BIOS on their support pages, albeit it may be hidden and difficult to find. Because disabling the Integrated means their battery won't last for the length it was advertised for.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help in helping with this. I don't have a laptop with dual GPUs to help diagnose or do experiments. Well, I don't have a laptop, period.
(Anyone who plans to upgrade and not needing their old laptop anymore and wants to donate to the cause, please get in touch! )
Test Subject
#100 Old 18th Sep 2013 at 9:22 PM
Those with dual GPUs from the newer generations / models, do you guys add both of the GPUs in the sgr files or just the dedicated one?

If you cannot disable the Integrated via BIOS, means the manufacturer has installed a BIOS that turns off that feature. There are usually hacked versions out there that someone has uploaded, but you use it at your own risk. Not to mention, the warranty may be void.
But then again, if the OEM gets lots of complaints on their forums or the blogoshpere is loud about condemning this "feature", they would sometimes offer the new BIOS on their support pages, albeit it may be hidden and difficult to find. Because disabling the Integrated means their battery won't last for the length it was advertised for.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help in helping with this. I don't have a laptop with dual GPUs to help diagnose or do experiments. Well, I don't have a laptop, period.
(Anyone who plans to upgrade and not needing their old laptop anymore and wants to donate to the cause, please get in touch! )

The thing is, I'm not sure if I know the Device ID for the dedicated one. Deviceconfig is not telling me this, so I just searched in the Device Manager and have something, that may be it, but it doesn't have to.
Do you think that adding it may help? Deviceconfig does not see this card at all.
Locked thread | Locked by: ellacharmed Reason: done
Page 4 of 6