Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#101 Old 24th Sep 2013 at 2:02 AM
I have a Toshiba Qosmio X870-BT3G23 laptop that uses 2 Video Adapters and also uses Nvidia Optimus Tech:
- Intel HD Graphics 4000
- Nvidia GTX 670m

The DeviceConfig file is only showing the Intel adapter and Graphicscards SGR file in Sims 3\Game\Bin is not listing my Nvidia adapter at all. What can I do?
I tried using Nvidia Control Panel to make game use the Nvidia adapter, but no change to Deviceconfig file... Please help if possible and thanks...
Advertisement
Test Subject
#102 Old 28th Sep 2013 at 6:25 AM
Hello there,

I'm hoping that editing the graphicsrules file will help with the crashes I'm having, but my deviceconfig lists only my onboard GPU under graphics device info and not the dedicated. Switchable graphics is enabled with ts3w.exe set to use the high performance GPU.

Samsung ATIV Book 4 with Intel HD 4000 and AMD Radeon, which originally was listed in device manager as 8750M but after a driver update says 8600/8700M

Just wondering if you'd seen this before or have some ideas, or if it's likely to be an actual hardware problem.

Thanks
Test Subject
#103 Old 28th Sep 2013 at 1:59 PM Last edited by PubertyBarbie : 30th Sep 2013 at 7:26 PM.
Hey there,

So, esentally I have read through a majority of this thread and I'm still quite confused concerning my own problem. I see, however, that many people have had similar issues as I, but their fixes just aren't working.

My game is all updated and everything and I've only made minimal adjustments to my .sgr files (i.e. Removing Glowing From Objects, and that's it. My .sgr files all have the notepad icon on them unfortunately, but they're still .sgr files so that's not an issue, right? I only mention this because the new Graphics Guide you have posted mentions .sgr files), but when I enter the game, all my settings are at '0' and refuse to change. I can't even play the game, period.

I entered my devicecontrol.log file, and I noticed I only have the words 'option' and 'default options'. This means that the Sims 3 is using my onboard graphics, right? I know I have a NVIDIA integrated card on my computer, but I think it clocked out a while ago in terms of time. Anyway, I deleted the devicecontrol.log file and options.ini file, but neither of them are re-spawning, so I'm at a loss (I still have the originals on my desktop, but why isn't my game re-generating these files?). I also checked my BIOS to see if my PC was running my current device, and it was.

That device is:
Code:
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
        Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
     Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
        Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68BA)
         DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
       Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BA&SUBSYS_25431458&REV_00
   Display Memory: 756 MB
 Dedicated Memory: 1012 MB
    Shared Memory: 3839 MB
     Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
          Monitor: HP 2159 Series Wide LCD Monitor
      Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
   Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1172 (English)
      DDI Version: 11
   BGRA Supported: Yes
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
 Driver Date/Size: 12/19/2012 16:08:04, 1151488 bytes

So, truth be told, I'm not really sure where to go from here. I know my card can run the sims, but it isn't on the GraphicsCard.sgr file. Should I just follow the rest of the guide and slap it in there? I stopped at the DeviceControl.log issue because I figured something was wrong.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: So I attempted to follow the guide, but I have a 6700 card. It wasn't on the list, but I did, however put it there. When I entered the GraphicsRules.sgr file to try and replace the lines (as the guide stated), there were already lines suggesting that the 6??0 series was acceptable. I'm not sure if I should still change these, and if so, with what? Additionally, my Options.ini and DeviceControl.log came back, but when I attempted to enter the game and play in a new town (after it took forever to load), everything was black save for a few buildings. My game is a mess, haha.

“Most beautiful dumb girls think they are smart and get away with it, because other people, on the whole, aren't much smarter.”
-Louise Brooks
Test Subject
#104 Old 7th Oct 2013 at 5:40 PM
Hi I tried to follow the instructions found here http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...zed_by_the_game I have a geforce GTX 680 nvidia card. I tried to edit my graphics cards.sgr file. I opened it and I scrolled down until I found a likely graphics card and I pasted my geforce 680 over top (not sure if I'm using correct terminology) and then I saved to desktop as per your instructions. When it came time to put that .sgr file back into my bin it's saved as a text file It wont paste over top of the graphicscards.sgr because that one is not a text file. I don't know how to save as a .sgr file. I'm sorry for not explaining this properly but I'm having a hard time understanding this procedure.
And when it came to editing the graphicsrules.sgr file I think I found my graphics card in there so I don't think I had to do anything to that file.
I have had this card installed since the spring but only started experiencing crashing in September. I really don't think the crashes are related to the graphics card not being recognized but I thought I would try this anyway. I play my game with all settings as high as they can go. I've been playing like this since the spring and, like I said, my game only started crashing two weeks ago.
Thank you for whatever advise you can give me.
Test Subject
#105 Old 21st Oct 2013 at 1:10 AM
I tried following the help file on this subject however I'm getting Found: 1, match: 0 and I am seeing my graphics card in the .sgr file it's an nvidia 210 with newest driver as of September 19th and hoping this is the cause on my lack of townies issue
Test Subject
#106 Old 18th Nov 2013 at 10:22 AM
Hi, I hope you still reply to this threat,

I have a compatible graphic card an AMD Radeon HD 6770m but I have the same problem Found:0 Matched:1 I tried doing what you did but I can't seem to find a Gam folder or a Bin folder in my Sims 3 folder at all, I tried to run a search everything...it just isn't there?! what can I do?
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#107 Old 29th Nov 2013 at 5:00 PM
I don't expect everyone to read every single post on this thread, but I had hoped at least my posts are read so you'd know what sort of questions I keep asking over and over. It gets tiresome if I have to repeat myself for every new poster's post, so I've edited both the wiki and post#1 with additional information on how to find the dedicated GPU's info if you have a dual-graphics setup, and the questions I generally need answered when you post with the questions of what IDs to use or what lines to edit. I cannot answer those if I don't know what the IDs are in the first place.

So, those who still currently need help, please could you answer the questions in your reply?

@witchwq, @PubertyBarbie, @RGirl,
if you still need help, I need the patch number you're on at this time and the IDs for the GPU(s), and basically to answer the questions in post#1, please.

@RGirl,
in addition, what do you use to edit the sgr files? Notepad? To not have the .txt extension, you would need to click on the dropdown menu for the Save as type and choose All Files (*.*) instead of Txt Documents (.txt). Sorry, I forgot to mention this in the guide since I don't use Notepad anymore. Mainly because of this problem. Creates havoc when I forgot to swap that setting, I can tell you. It has been added now.

@ladywizard,
nvidia 210, huh? You should know that a weak GPU is almost usually paired with a weak CPU (processor). Those 2 may be the reasons why townies generation is "choked" in your gameplay. That is by design. The game is coded to generate Sims and Story Progression actions/activities based on the computer's capabilities. Oh! And do you know that this card has ALL REDs in our SysReq (link in my signature). It is not recommended that you play Sims 3 on this computer, to be honest.

@NadaH,
did the installer create a shortcut to the Desktop or the Start menu when you installed the game?
Test Subject
#108 Old 3rd Dec 2013 at 10:28 PM
First of all, thank you so much, ellacharmed, for all your support with graphics issues.

I'm having a really weird bug here, the identical problem is described in this thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=497783

If I set all the options to high, nothing changes from medium or low setting for lighting and shadows and for trees. The others seem to work. I've done a full clean uninstall, reinstall, changed Nvidia options, tried different drivers, cleared caches and options.ini before each game load, edited GraphicsCards.sgr to include mine, still no change. The strange thing is though, sometimes, randomly it all works fine. On two game loads in the last 24h the graphics were perfect, and I didn't really change anything before or after.

All my specs and pictures of the glitch everything are in this thread I posted: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=516224

I would so appreciate it if someone could please help me.

All settings on highest:

All settings on lowest:
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#109 Old 4th Dec 2013 at 6:31 AM
Since you have a separate thread, and it appears that the issue is not with the Editing of the sgr files directly (i.e not within the scope of this one), I'll answer you in the other thread, @mangoprawn.
Test Subject
#110 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 4:50 PM
Hi,

I'm also having an issue with the game saying it does not recognising my graphics card ( nvidia geforce gtx 765m), however my game issue is that the world when zoomed out appears blue/grey with no visible lots, just a land of blue. When you enter your home lot and are not in the 'world view' it is fine. Will this be solved by your tutorial?

After following the tutorial I found that my deviceconfig file says:

=== Options ===
=== Default Options ===

That is all that is written, what should I do? Copy and paste what should be there?

Thank you
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#111 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 4:55 PM
Your deviceconfig.log file is totally blank? Has the game successfully loaded at all? What world is that blue-gray glitch happening on?

Quote:
  1. What is the base game's patch version? Game Help:TS3 Patching Find Gameversionwiki
  2. Do you have dual GPUs? Have you made sure Sims 3 is using the dedicated one from the link above?
  3. Those with dual GPUs, do you add both of the GPUs in the sgr files or just the dedicated one?
  4. If you need guidance on what strings to add where, please ready the Vendor and Device IDs by locating them from the various methods mentioned in the guide. And include both information in your post.
I may need you to post Game Help:System Specswiki, if you don't know or cannot find info about your hardware.
Test Subject
#112 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 6:27 PM
Sorry for the delay in replying, yes all my deviceconfig has is:

"=== Options ===
=== Default Options ==="

Literally that is it.

Yes the game loads, I can play it (on the lot) for half an hour or so before an error occurs and closes the game.

The glitch is on every world that I have, rivers are defined by a different shade but other than that the world is blue/grey, the options, task bars etc are all fine.

1. Base game patch version - 1.26.89.013002, am currently downloading 1.63.5.0240 and will install manually as the origin updater didn't work.
2. I have a single dedicated GPU
3. Only one to chose
4. Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11E2&SUBSYS_119D1043&REV_A1

Vendor ID - 10DE Device ID - 11E2

Changed graphicscard.sgr - card 11E2 "Geforce GTX 765M"

Replaced graphicsrules.sgr - match("${cardName}", "*GTX 7??*")

I hope this is what you need:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_gdr.131030-1505)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model: G750JW
BIOS: G750JW.207
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 765M
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device
Display Memory: 4034 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1986 MB
Shared Memory: 2048 MB
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#113 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 7:00 PM
Remove the deviceconfig.log file before you next load the game.
And yes, that GPU is not listed in the SGR file in my 1.63.5 game folders, let alone in 1.26's.

Quote:
Changed graphicscard.sgr - card 11E2 "Geforce GTX 765M"

Replaced graphicsrules.sgr - match("${cardName}", "*GTX 7??*")
The above: don't Change or Replace, but ADD. They are not present to be changed or replaced. But I'd use the below, my changes in bold.
Quote:
Add to graphicscard.sgr, above the 650M entry (i.e. follow what is stated in the Card Name)
- card 0x11E2 "GeForce GTX 765M"

Add to graphicsrules.sgr, after the GTX 7?0* entry
- or match("${cardName}", "*7?5M*") <with space before next or>
Test Subject
#114 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 9:41 PM
Ah thank you, oops! Didn't realise that.

Hasn't made a difference though. Options still on minimum settings, can't change and the blue is still there!

Deleted the deviceconfig file and it has reappeared exactly as it was.

Losing hope!
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#115 Old 24th Dec 2013 at 4:59 AM
Is Sims the only resource-intensive game you play? Can you watch HD movies fine?
Can you take a screenshot of what you're seeing? So, we can have a frame of reference? Or it might trigger someone else's memory if they have seen it before...

Time to check drivers and other stuff, please post Game Help:System Specswiki. Oh! Have you worked through the Crashing Checklist? Link's in my siggy.
If it is a deeper issue than simply GPU not being recognized, we might need to move you off this thread and into your own Help thread.

In the meantime, I'll research on this "9600.winblue_gdr.131030-1505" stuff.
Test Subject
#116 Old 26th Dec 2013 at 5:22 PM
Hi I managed to install the new patch manually as the game installer didn't work and everything seems to be resolved now!!!!

I haven't changed any of the files from what we discussed, so hopefully that's helping out too. But so far no more problems to report.

Thanks for your help
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#117 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 2:58 PM
Glad it was just a bad patch/bad install, then.
Test Subject
#118 Old 10th Jan 2014 at 8:40 PM
Hello, I have a big problem with the sims 3 recognize my Nvidia GT 750m graphic card.
When I look in the deviceconfig it shows :
Number: 0
Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
The dxdiag show the same card.

So I tought that the card was new, but that was not the problem because I walked tru this guide : http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...zed_by_the_game
After that there was no change. I already changed to the powerfull Nvidea processor in the Nvidia controlpanel but that doesn't help to.

I hope that you can help me, because I can't play the game with the intel GPU because the game freezes all the time.
Thank you for your time, and sorry for my English its not the best haha.
Test Subject
#119 Old 14th Jan 2014 at 10:23 AM
Default Nvidia Geforce Gt 740m
Hello, here are my specifications:

Version: 1.63.5.024001
Patch: 19.0.101.022001

Dual GPUs: Intel (R) HD Graphics Family
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M (dedicated)

Added only NVIDIA GT 740M (dedicated)

VEN_10DE
DEV_1292

I tried to follow all the instructions but the graphics options are still defaulted at the lowest settings. Can you help me?

Thanks!
Test Subject
#120 Old 17th Jan 2014 at 1:19 AM
I need help finding where my gpu info goes in the graphicsrules file.

Version: 1.63.5

=== Graphics device info ===
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
Name (database): GeForce GTX 770 [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 1184, Board: 27743842, Chipset: 00a1
Driver: nvd3dum.dll, Version: 9.18.13.3221, GUID: D7B71E3E-52C4-11CF-6757-79071CC2C435
Driver version: 3221
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 4040MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#121 Old 17th Jan 2014 at 2:11 PM
@klavertje13,
I can't help if you don't give me the Device ID of your GPU. Or, if you don't tell me what line you added. Or attempted to add.

@mahilum_mariacristina,
you have ensured that Sims 3 is using the Nvidia and not the Intel? In other words, followed the "Two Graphics Cards?" guide?

Is this the line you added to GraphicsCards.sgr?
Code:
	card 0x1292 "GeForce GT 740M"

Code:
or match("${cardName}", "*7?0M*")
The above line already appears in GraphicsRules.sgr, and would have set the settings to "$cardLevelHigh", so you don't need to edit this. Unless the laptop gets really really hot, then you might want to explicitly add the "GTX" and "GT" qualifiers (instead of a "*" wildcard) to differentiate the High from the Medium, by adding a separate entry to the Medium section. Which, according to GPU specs hierarchy, is where a GT 740M fits most. You can use the 4xx and 5xx series as reference, to see how EA does it. But, EA lumps them (GT vs GTS vs GTX) all in Uber which I disagree with...

Note that the DeviceConfig.log may still show the Intel is in use. But if the Nvidia Control panel is already set, and you can confirm it while Sims 3 is running, the generated log can be safely ignored.

@mrlancelo12
the log shows it has already found and matched the GPU...? And, without knowing what lines you added (in what files), or the info from the "Rating info" section, I cannot say, really.
Test Subject
#122 Old 19th Jan 2014 at 10:10 PM Last edited by Xirian : 19th Jan 2014 at 10:39 PM.
Hi there, Ellacharmed! I really didn't want to bother you about my problems (a lot of people have been posting) but I really am losing hope. I followed every single game help topics in the wikia, including the switching to NVIDIA from the integrated Intel card, but it just won't switch out... I'm currently doing the clean up of your "Getting your New GPU Recognized" topic because it still keeps on using the Intel graphics card no matter what I do. :'( Not even putting the TS3W.exe tot he Nvidia Control Panel helps! (but the little nvidia tray does show the game is using it- but the device log says not... weird)

I even tried disabling the Intel graphics card, and completely disabled DEP (via command prompt) so I don't get the access violation slumps anymore, but for some reason, it just keeps on crashing with the same error. I even downloaded a ton of 3rd party programs like custard, delphy's download organizer, the LAA 4gb patch, EVERYTHING. lskjd aslkjd lksjl

Things I have done:
1. followed "Switching the duo graphics to the dedicated"
2. followed "LAA troubleshooting"
3. followed "getting new graphics card recognized"
4. followed "insufficient memory crashes" and reviewing my crashlogs (but I'm 64-bit so I removed some cc instead and went to check how much my ram is)
5. checked my cc via delphy's organizer and deleted/cleaned up all the conflicts and corrupt files.
6. went to bios to increase ram dedication to video cards
7. entered the disable DEP via command prompt
8. disabling HDGraphics family (but it seems that i shouldn't be doing that or it ruins my pc screen- goes black often)
9. tried to find a way to remove Optimus but to no avail.
10. clean installs of EVERYTHING

Strangely enough, I have the same set of dual graphics cards as Mahilum_MariaChristina.

Version: 1.63.5.024017
Dual GPUs: Intel (R) HD Graphics Family (Integrated)
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M (dedicated)

I also added only NVIDIA GT 740M in the Graphicscard.sgr in hopes that maybe even if the nvidia just won't switch with the intel HD graphics family, maybe it would after doing this one. (But before I even done this, it would still show Intel, and not the Nvidia one- even after the clean up)

=== Graphics device info ===
Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Name (database): Intel(R) HD Graphics Family [Found: 0, Matched: 1]
Vendor: Intel
Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 0a16, Board: 131d1043, Chipset: 0009
Driver: nvumdshim.dll, Version: 9.18.13.3165, GUID: D7B78E66-4956-11CF-AE7F-1033B4C2C435

recent error:

[Exception info]
date: 2014-01-18
time: 08.38.55
type: ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000000
address: 0x678deaaf "C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll":0x0001:0x0001daaf

The notebook I've been using is an Asus x550L, with a 64-bit operating system, currently having 658/909gb drive space with 8GB ram and 6.71gb ram usable. I really can't believe that my notebook can't handle the ram needed for the game, since it's way higher than 2gb... I seriously need help please...

(Forgot to add: I already have about 8gb worth of custom content, and they all worked perfectly only under Intel graphics until yesterday morning, crashing about 5 minutes into the game. The only mods I have are Twallan's stuff like overwatch, master controller, story progression which are all up to date, and about a few sliders for the head- which are also up to date in accordance to my patch.)

My patch is 1.63. and I have all expansions and stuff packs except into the future and movie stuff.

This is the only game I play for leisure, and the rest of my time I just work.

Please help me, I beg you...
Test Subject
#123 Old 22nd Jan 2014 at 1:37 PM
Hello!
So I thought I would give this a try, but I can't even open the GraphicsCards.sgr. Should I open it with Notepad or something?
Lab Assistant
#124 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 6:40 AM Last edited by ellacharmed : 2nd Feb 2014 at 1:33 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags
Hello!

I have looked over all the sites i could possibly find, and have found no answers. I do have a newer card (AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series), (device id 0x6798) and am wondering why my game has set texture memory to 32MB <OVERRIDE>. I know my game isn't running the way it should (Factory settings, have everything set to the lowest option). In the past i had Windows 8, and was able to get my card recognised in the game by following the guides here to the Graphics Rules and Cards.sgr file changes, but this time, it recognises my card but won't recognise the texture memory (memory in the device config set to 1), and i'm at my end trying to find out why. I hope i have posted this into the right thread, as i don't believe it's recognising my card properly.

I have tried to insert my card into the Graphics Card.sgr file, add the HD 7??? part to the four places, as shown on the site to getting graphics cards recognised, and then i tried adding a HD 7900 line after the other, set out in this format " or match("${cardName}", "*HD 7??0*") ".

I am now patched to 1.67 (as of 2 days ago), and have all Eps and Sps installed up to University Life.

I am unable to attach my dxdiag, or GraphicsCard/Rules.sgr files as they are too large according to the upload manager. Please if you need them let me know, or if i have this in the wrong thread. I have to go out to work tonight, and we have a power outage from 8.30am to 3.30pm tomorrow, so if i haven't replied/ added more info that is why. I'm also sorry for adding this to the thread, when i know there are threads about this, but none of those answers were of any help, and i don't wish to add this to anyone's list of things to do, help fix, but i would appreciate some help please. Thankyou .

"Real stupidity beats artifical intelligence everytime" -Terry Pratchett
Test Subject
#125 Old 1st Feb 2014 at 10:08 AM
Hello There,

I got the same problem as stated above a few posts before.
My DeviceConfig is empty like:

=== Options ===
=== Default Options ===

So my graphics card is a geforce GT 450M I added tfollowing line in the GraphicCards.sgr:

card 0df4 "GeForce GT 540M"

I followed your guide on the wiki but nothing helped yet. I try to play on a DELL XPS 502X and yes I do play a lot of new games like Assassins Creed 4 e.g. only thing not working is Sims 3 with the current patch 1.67
Latest drivers are installed so my laptop hardware is up to date.
Locked thread | Locked by: ellacharmed Reason: done
Page 5 of 6