Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 2nd Mar 2013 at 8:47 PM Last edited by McGuire406 : 2nd Mar 2013 at 9:08 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
It's the green text that's a link to mediafire in Peni's blog post.

Ok, thanks a lot!

I'm going to get right into it and check it out.

Edit: How do I properly add it to my game?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#77 Old 2nd Mar 2013 at 9:12 PM
Unzip the 7z file. Copy the folder called PGWS to your My Documents/EAGames/Sims2/Neighborhoods folder. It should appear in your main menu after all your custom neighborhoods, since they load in alphabetical order and P comes after the N used for the original three neighborhoods.

If this doesn't work for you, PM me and we'll figure it out.

Instructions for making the snapshots you want from the Storytelling folder show up in your albums are in the text file.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 2nd Mar 2013 at 9:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Unzip the 7z file. Copy the folder called PGWS to your My Documents/EAGames/Sims2/Neighborhoods folder. It should appear in your main menu after all your custom neighborhoods, since they load in alphabetical order and P comes after the N used for the original three neighborhoods.

If this doesn't work for you, PM me and we'll figure it out.

Instructions for making the snapshots you want from the Storytelling folder show up in your albums are in the text file.

Ok, that's my problem. I changed the name of it to N010 (4 after my last neighborhood) since I thought that' what all neighborhoods had to be named.

I'll try it out and if it doesn't work, I'll just PM you.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#79 Old 2nd Mar 2013 at 9:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by McGuire406
Ok, that's my problem. I changed the name of it to N010 (4 after my last neighborhood) since I thought that' what all neighborhoods had to be named.

If you rename the code of a neighbourhood, you need to rename ALL the files and folders within the neighbourhood folder with the same code otherwise it won't show. Most people do it with a batch file renamer.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#80 Old 2nd Mar 2013 at 11:14 PM
No, if you'd needed to rename the file, I'd have told you.

This is not the first time someone's been confused about installation or felt a need to rename. Instructions are in the Welcome to Widespot text file, but a lot of stuff's in that text file. Should I include a smaller one called Installation Instructions, containing nothing but that information?

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 11:08 AM
It might be a good idea to split the document, just to make it a bit more obvious where exactly the technical details are.

Update after having played the Weiss, Land, and Hart houses:

Right now I'm just playing catch up with some bin families, mainly those with minors. As you can see, I'm having a huge problem with lots of boys being born and only three girls (the Gavigans and Ottomases include two of those baby girls); I have no clue what's gonna happen as these kids get older. River is the only boy so far to roll as gay, and on top of that the same goes for Ginger Newson being the only girl, so I'll probably have to wait for college before I can even begin planning marriages.

I can only hope the numbers will be better when the new kids become teens. Then again, maybe it's all a moot point because at this point a third of the town is related to each other.
Mad Poster
#82 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 4:43 PM
Turns out I didn't have installation instructions in the text file. My bad. Could've sworn...but that's what I get for swearing. Apparently I'm so used to putting back-ups in and out that the information seemed too obvious to put in, or to leave in, or something. The link in the blog post Sunbee links to in the first post now goes to a .7z file (because it's about half the size of the same items in a zip) containing the same material as the original one, plus a text file called Installation Instructions.

@ A-chana: Yup, those Harts are a classy bunch, aren't they?

Lab Assistant
#83 Old 3rd Mar 2013 at 5:50 PM
I just started my playthrough of Widespot. Once I'm done doing my first rotation (Friday-Tuesday), I'm going to edit the adults ages so they fit in with a mod I have that extends adults lives by 2 sim weeks. And the reason I'm waiting to do it? I know some of the adult women are pregnant and I don't want to mess up their pregnancies. =P

I started off by playing the Mann family. I had Junior and Mary Land get married. I can't believe that Mary is pregnant with Valentine's kid. I was quite surprised. Anyways, once the wedding party ended, I had Junior look for a job. He ended up following in his father's footsteps and joining the family's "business". I also had Mary invite over Skye so she can give him his first kiss. Finally, on Sunday afternoon, Mary gave birth to little Lydia Mann.

Next off, I went to the Land family to see how they'll progress. Scot ended up having a dream date and his first kiss with Virginia Beech, the sad thing is they only have bolt in my game. His older sister, Dixie, invited Woody over and as she went to flirt with him, Virginia came to bring the flowers and gt upset. So, that was a bit awkward, but at least Woody managed to get a kiss off of Dixie. River ended up growing into a teen and became a Pleasure sim. Other than that, they were interesting and a challenge to play since I usually play such big families.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#84 Old 4th Mar 2013 at 12:22 AM
Where was I? Oh, the Weisses? I think . . .
They did nothing particularly interesting. With just Woody and Skye, and the dog . . . yeah, Skye bought a dog, so that's interesting. The dog's an elder too, named Bronco. Woody and Virginia are still going hot and heavy.
Jane and Heather, I think I already wrote about them a bit, anyway, Heather's liking the Hart guys.
The Harts, Scot came over and dated Goldie, who wasn't particularly morning sick, but suspected something was up. Penny, Rhett, and Candy all went to work. Valentine took care of the babies. Valentine carried on with Heather. Rhett got lucky on the work schedules and also carried on with Heather. Valentine carried on with Daytona. Candy was exhausted and didn't get to carry on.
At the Manns, Lana greeted and made over every walkby, thus earning her bronze makeover badge. Rich lost a ton of money on a bad chance card. Junior had the day off and skilled. Mary gave birth to her twins by Valentine, and everyone is very eager for her to get pregnant again.
At the Lands, well, they had the Manns come, and the Weisses, and Dixie and Lija, and the Beaches, and those two new girls in town, and had a birthday party for River. He grew up well and became a popularity sim. Jane planted a kiss on Skye, and everyone got furious with her and him. And I remembered why I'd had romancemod in. Because it's beyond silly for Homer to be mad on his cheating wife's behalf at the guy she had an affair with and his girlfriend. I could see Homer being mad at Skye and Beulah, if he knew, but there's no way he should be mad at Jane. Likewise the kids shouldn't be mad at Jane. When Beulah went to slap Skye, the kids and her husband should've gotten mad at her. Either romancemod is going back in, or I need to find something else that serves a similar function. River and Delta both hit the hay early. Scot of course had another date with Goldie, and the party was a roof raiser.
Then I picked up my two new girls, and Heather woohooed both Hart males, and took Valentine out to the photobooth to take care of that public woohoo want for the two of them. Jane asked Skye to go steady and he agreed.
Dixie and Lija in college, Dixie got Lija to move in, and he was all skilled up for his final, so I caught him up to her really fast, and they progressed with their semester. They tried out the clothing bench and a park bench for size, and decided that Lija's sofa in his dorm room is still the best place. Dixie is still up on the birth control thing. (I figured out why only two bolts, I think: Lija has ten active points to Dixie's zero.) They're serious about each other and their studies, and had fun, but they really didn't do much. Term papers, skill points, dates, 4.0s, and they're officially sophomores.
That's the end of Sunday in Widespot. Any suggestions for a name for Heather Huffington's kid by Valentine Hart would be appreciated.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 4th Mar 2013 at 12:42 AM
@ Peni: I actually kind of like the Harts! It's good to have Sims that just plain don't give a crap about things like getting a job or raising kids. And while I sound harsh on Candy, I actually like her quite a bit; sneaking into the Mann house to see Rich was completely unplanned but added something for Lana to deal with. I've gotten her all the kids I wanted her to have, so I'll probably leave her alone for a while. The only other plan I have for her involves having to split households to make room for her and her kids to move in. Aside from that, I'll try and get her to make money with artistic pursuits so that she isn't relying just on an inheritance.

The Mann household is also fun because this is the first time I simply could not teach the toddlers all their skills. Even with both Mary and Lana staying at home, they couldn't keep up with the demands and often woke up only to feed the kids, leading to the total mess that was the birthday celebration. It should settle down now that the twins are older and Mary's not pregnant, but who knows? I didn't even buy beds yet for the twins, haha.
Mad Poster
#86 Old 4th Mar 2013 at 2:12 AM
I love them all, myself...

Sunbee, even I can't come up with a pun for Huffington. If it were me, I'd probably have Heather name it Valentina if a girl, or Hart if a boy. That way, she can keep track of who the father is.

Of course things would get sticky if she had a boy by Valentine and also one by Rhett. She'd have to come up with another boy's name. Hugh? Rhett's daughter, obviously, would be Scarlett.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#87 Old 4th Mar 2013 at 4:23 AM
Well, my rotation starts with the Beaches. I'm not sure they really need that much help from the Harts to be a train wreck. Sandy wanted a party while Venice napped, so she had a nice little party for Valentine Hart. That ended with them woohooing as Hamilton and Daytona came home. You remember Daytona was seeing Valentine, right? Much slapping ensued. Heather Huffington wandered by and Hamilton talked with her about it all, then six o'clock rolled around and the pop-up for Venice came. Hamilton wanted to throw a party so I let him do the birthday party and had Virginia call Woody for a date. Hamilton invited Penny, Candy, Heather, and Rhett, but Rhett was a no-show and when Sandy called him he was at work. Venice grew up pretty cute, she's a Gemini with 2/9/8/4/4. Hamilton decided the thing to do was a revenge affair and Heather was happy to oblige. Slapping ensued. Daytona took Valentine to bed, she's only furious with him! Sandy then wanted to apologize to Hamilton, and Hamilton to her, but they still aren't at all on speaking terms. Rocky had heard that Candy was easy, decided to find out, and was able to go all the way. Since Rocky is jail bait, Candy's lucky no one was paying attention. Virginia decided to celebrate graduating from high school by loosing her virginity with Woody and getting knocked up. They had a dream date, the party was a roof raiser, and Virginia left for college. Sandy slept in Virginia's old bed. Sandy's furious with Hamilton and Heather, Hamilton's furious with Sandy and Valentine, Daytona's furious with Sandy and Valentine, but not with Heather--so I guess she's more irked with Valentine for messing up her son's marriage than sleeping around on her because Valentine and Heather were making out half the party. All three kids are only furious with Hamilton and Heather, not with Sandy and Valentine.
I think I need to start locking up garbage cans. One of Heather's kids has to be Post, or something related. I'm thinking about a downtown, I think they need one, but that means decisions for me.

Lab Assistant
#88 Old 4th Mar 2013 at 8:58 PM
Time to continue what happened in the rest of the neighborhood.

(To Peni: I really like the look of Sandy Beech, so I extracted her in SimPE. That way, I can use her in my custom hood and future hoods to come.)

Before moving onto the other families that came with the game, I changed some details with the binned sims such as their ages and what not. I also killed off the Ramaswamis (find them boring) along with Gavin and Ginger (that's the teen, right?) Newson so Herb and Faith Goodie can adopt the kids and toddlers.

Anyways, I started off with the Harts. Rhett invited Penny over that day and they tied the knot. He also got a job in the sports career since it's his LTW. By early Sunday morning, Candy gave birth to little Julian Hart and in that evening, Penny gave birth to little Scarlett Hart. It was quite a hassle playing until Tuesday since there were two pregnant women and now two babies in the house.

I then proceeded to the Weiss household. It was a bit bland for me. I just basically had Skye skill up quite a bit. I had Woody invite over Dixie Land and they went on a few dates. He also brought over Virginia Beech so he can build up a romantic relationship with her so he can accomplish his LTW of 20 woohoos.
Mad Poster
#89 Old 5th Mar 2013 at 5:24 PM
To be fair, when you moved Penny in with Rhett before playing the Weisses, you removed a major potential drama vector from the Weiss household.

Okay, I was wrong - I do not have the Pleasantview townies! Turns out I was confused over which of the familiar faces were from Pleasantview and which were from other sources. When I started seeing people with unfamiliar names on community lots, and realized I'd yet to see some of the more conspicuous staples like Goopy and Brandon, I looked in SimPE, and neither exists in Widespot. So everybody who gets any townies at all will get brand new townies.

Second, has anybody tried to use the snapshots in the Storytelling folder? I included instructions for incorporating them into your albums in the Welcome to Widespot text file, after I'd tested to see that those instructions worked in my game, and they did - or seemed to. However, once I started organizing and captioning, I found that when I clicked one, the thumbnails for all of the others would disappear, leaving me with only the one I'd just clicked and the snapshots taken within the household since putting Widespot into my full game. When I chose the neighborhood tab in the album, I could see all the development pictures except for the ones belonging to the household I was in - but when I moused over them, they were tagged "O'Feefe" instead of the relevant household name.

Now, since I've attached Academie LaTour (after I did the experiment with adding the snapshots but before I started trying to use them), I do have an O'Feefe household; but I have not yet loaded the campus. When I look in the O'Feefe household's FAMI data, I see that the Album GUID is set to 0x0000000.

When I took the snapshots in question, in AnyGameStarter during development, I found that they were stored in the Storytelling folder for the whole game, not inside a Storytelling subfolder in the Neighborhoods folder. I concluded from this that the albums worked differently in base game than they did in subsequent expansions, and that the album GUIDs for each household would be randomly generated for each player when the game loaded. That's why I renamed them and wrote up the instructions as I did - it seemed the only way to enable players to incorporate them if they wanted them The unloaded O'Feefe household's 0 value AlbumGUID supports this theory.

The development snapshots and thumbnails in my game have all been renamed according to the standard protocol: snapshot_AlbumGUID_8characterstring, which should make them indistinguishable from the ones taken in the full game and certainly shouldn't allow them to be associatd with an unloaded household that doesn't have a GUID yet. It makes no sense. But there it is.

So, would somebody be so kind as to try to use the snapshots as instructed in the Welcome to Widespot textfile, and report how they behave in your game? It should be enough to rename two or three snapshots, with the albumGUID of any household you like, to determine whether they behave the same way or if this is idiosyncratic to my game.

#90 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 12:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Okay, I was wrong - I do not have the Pleasantview townies!

Woohoo! See? I was not making stuff up. Apparently, no one believed me and thought I was lying or did not care to investigate the situation which SOMEONE thought it was "obvious".
Mad Poster
#91 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 1:49 AM
So are you hyped enough about being smarter than me to help me gather data on my photo problem?

Anybody who can help me with this, PM me so we don't clog up the thread with troubleshooting.

Field Researcher
#92 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 2:50 AM

I finally got my hands on this hood so I will play around with the photos and see what's shaking.
Site Helper
#93 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 2:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CrèmedelaCrème
Woohoo! See? I was not making stuff up. Apparently, no one believed me and thought I was lying or did not care to investigate the situation which SOMEONE thought it was "obvious".
Actually, what I disagreed with was your contorted logic about how the AGS was responsible for adding the Pleasantview townies to Widespot:
Quote: Originally posted by CrèmedelaCrème
In the neighborhood creation, I presume that you created Widespot with only playable characters with AnyGameStarter and then turned on the full game, which led the neighborhood to generate Pleasantview townies because your N001 folder is Pleasantview.
When someone doesn't understand how the game works, it makes more sense to tell them how it works, than to blame some poor little program for something that never happened.
#94 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 4:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Actually, what I disagreed with was your contorted logic about how the AGS was responsible for adding the Pleasantview townies to Widespot:
When someone doesn't understand how the game works, it makes more sense to tell them how it works, than to blame some poor little program for something that never happened.

Actually, my "contorted logic" was really a misunderstanding of Peni Griffin's words on the existence of Pleasantview townies in the game, which led me to draw a conclusion that AnyGameStarter might have something to do with it. As I recall, Peni Griffin stated clearly earlier that she wanted people to have the option for Pleasantview townies or not, which she then admitted that she made an error.
#95 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 4:31 AM
Default Playing Widespot
I have to admit, playing Widespot is fun! Each family has a lot of drama - great for storytelling and plot-making!

I have already played with the Beech family, and now I am playing with the Hart family! For the sake of the story, I moved out Candy Hart.
Scholar
#96 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 9:48 AM Last edited by Aegagropilon : 6th Mar 2013 at 1:27 PM.
I wish I could load my game and see if the album thingamajig works, but I'm currently in the land of the computer Graeae.

So far, the only townies I have are the Social townies, the Garden Club folks, the random teens generated to fill cash registers, and the housecleaners. I have a custom Uni, so it generated with the Sim State dormies (which means that the male cow is a Face One I had Brooke's friend Elle engage him in conversation and found that I had a failcow on my hands. He finds the topic of crime oh-so-very boring, too.)

EDIT: My game also generated this awesome repairlady.

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#97 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 9:26 PM
I wish you could too, Aegagropilon, because I can't figure out how to duplicate the issue.
I've been testing the albums on the Hart household, which currently consists of Goldie, Valentine, Rhett, Penny, their baby, Candy, and Candy's baby. In the loading screen, Penny is holding her baby close, looking down fondly at it. Candy is cheerfully waving at me. And poor Rhett is holding Candy's baby at arm's length with the most desperate expression on his face! "This isn't mine and I don't know what to do with it! Penny, help!" Valentine actually performs most of the childcare for both kids, since he doesn't work, and Penny grabs her baby as soon as she's home, so yeah, Rhett really is clueless. Candy might be a bit more clueless, though.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#98 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 3:48 AM
Creme, those characters are not random. Did you read the text file? It explains how to do it, how it's supposed to work, and how it is in fact properly working for me, though not for Peni.

#99 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 4:09 AM
Hee-hee-hee. I really like the Sim bios!

Mad Poster
#100 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 4:20 AM
I renamed them Snapshot1, etc., because I wasn't sure that the Album GUIDs would be the same for everybody. Since the albums worked differently in the base-game-only setup, the code for using them must have changed. The original pictures were all stored in the general Storytelling folder, not in a subfolder inside the neighborhood, and regardless of what household went to a community lot, the pictures taken there would be tagged with the neighborhood album GUID. I didn't want to assume either that everyone would wind up with the same GUIDs or that everybody would want all the pictures, so I went for the workaround. Which appears to have been a mistake, as Sunbee has the same album GUIDs as I do.

Since Sunbee can't duplicate the problem, I'm currently hopeful that what's messing me up is something idiosyncratic to my system, either something to do with the album editor I installed so I can work on stories without having the game open, or Just One of Those Things. So in the final cut I may restore the original numbers and I will certainly change the instructions for using the snapshots.

The different album GUIDs (which constitute the first alphanumeric string in the snapshot and thumbnail pictures; don't forget you need them both) for the different households are:
Beech: bdbd17fb
Hart: 1dbd13cc
Land: 3dbd0a5b
Mann: 9dbd03e1
Weiss: fdbd0e0b
Neighborhood: 0000000a

I spent all afternoon making the thread on this and I sure hope I did it right this time. Making the screenshots for the submission was the hardest thing about this whole project.

Anyway, I don't want to distract people from playing with troubleshooting. If this turns into a real issue I'll be taking it back to the feedback forum. Carry on.

Page 4 of 32