Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#176 Old 26th Mar 2012 at 12:00 AM
I know the families do not have pets to begin with. Is it ok if we would like them to?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#177 Old 26th Mar 2012 at 12:03 AM
jones7659... The families were designed to be Base Game compatible (i.e, no pets) but if you would like to add some animals to your family feel free! Just make sure your building meets the requirements of the family first, and no stables because they are an external structure!

Like this post? You'll love my Tumblr! 😉
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#178 Old 26th Mar 2012 at 12:23 AM
Ok thanks. And even though the St Bernard I'm giving them could probably use a stable, lol, I wont be building her one
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#179 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 12:35 AM Last edited by wgroome : 28th Mar 2012 at 10:59 AM.
Round 2 Scores

Here are the scores for Round 2. You can sort by family or sort the scores in ascending or descending order using the arrows at the top of each column. If you spot a mathematical discrepancy, please PM me! ) The judges' order is not necessarily the same order as the main contest post, but each set of scores is consistent (the Judge 1 column contains scores from the same judge) and remains the same from the first round scores.
ContestantFamilyJudge 1Judge 2Judge 3TotalGrand Total
aaries16Gravel19 (7/4/8)21 8/4/9)18 (7/2/9)58114
ForeverCampLewis19 (7/4/8)20 (8/4/8)21 (7/4/10)60121
sandymdhLewis23 (8/5/10)22 (9/4/9)22 (9/3/10)67133
SsshGravel16 (5/4/7)12 (5/3/4)13 (5/1/7)4179.5
Riptide651Gravel21 (9/5/7)23 (9/4/10)22 (9/4/9)66130
BuckleyMontenegro21 (8/4/9)23 (9/5/9)23 (8/5/10)67139
whiteriderBarkworth25 (10/5/10)24 (9/5/10)24 (9/5/10)73138
PhaenohLewis23 (9/5/9)22 (9/4/9)22 (7/5/10)67136
lunajumper44Gravel22 (8/5/9)20 (8/4/8)21 (8/3/10)63109
armielBarkworth25 (10/5/10)24 (9/5/10)23 (9/5/9)72139
jones7659Gravel21 (8/5/8)21 (8/4/9)21 (8/4/9)63125
HencingLewis23 (8/5/10)22 (8/5/9)23 (9/4/10)68138
ClashfanLewis19 (7/3/9)18 (7/3/8)17 (6/1/10)54104
katalina522Lewis23 (9/5/9)20 (8/4/8)22 (7/5/10)65125
JaguwarLewis22 (8/4/10)22 (9/4/9)23 (8/5/10)67131
NatteryakToadGravel18 (6/4/8)15 (6/2/7)16 (6/2/8)4995
lipe2kLewis22 (8/5/9)21 (8/4/9)22 (8/4/10)65128
SulyukiLewis23 (9/4/10)20 (8/4/8)22 (8/4/10)65123
triciamanlyLewis18 (7/3/8)19 (7/4/8)18 (6/2/10)5597
Rosebud1773Gravel19 (7/4/8)17 (7/3/7)16 (5/3/8)5296.5
Selly_2009Lewis19 (7/4/8)18 (7/3/8)18 (6/2/10)55109
So that's Round 2 over with... Bring on the rest of the Round 3 entries!

Edited: I have now sent out all the feedback, and will upload the fourth - and final! - foundation later on today! Let's see some more entries, people! Round 3 closes a week today - Wednesday 4th April.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#180 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 1:56 PM
Round 4:

As a reminder, you should only have one family left that you haven't built for - so pick them!
The foundation template can be rotated (but not mirrored) and can be placed anywhere on the lot.
Please remember to consider the contest rules and the family's requirements. Good luck!

Round 3 will close in a week's time (04/04/2012) and Round 4 (and the entire contest!) will close on 18/04/2012.

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#181 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 2:03 PM
Just have to say YAY! I'm excited. The foundation for round 4 is PERFECT for what I was hoping to be able to build Thanks wgroome for hosting this contest. It's the first I've ever joined and I'm really enjoying myself.
Scholar
#182 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 1:55 AM
Default Round 3: BARKWORTH

Mike and Meadow Barkworth found this rustic retreat in the forest not long after the loss of their only child. The 1-bed, 1-bath cabin gave them the distance and serenity they needed to recover.

The kitchen was placed nice and close to the back porch, so that the couple can eat outdoors if they want.

The living room is uncluttered and quiet. Mike is an avid photographer and painter, and often makes use of the window near his easel to paint wildlife that passes through their backyard. Every painting and photo on the walls are his workmanship.

Meadow is more of a needlecraft and sewing enthusiast. She put together many of the small needlepoint decorations, dried flowers and plants, and quilts that can be seen around the house. In her sewing corner, Meadow keeps her small daughter's first quilt as a memorial and a token to feel as though her child is always close by.

From out the back, you can see the garden, the fishing pond and Mike's pet project - an old car that he hopes to restore.
Field Researcher
#183 Old 30th Mar 2012 at 5:41 PM
Round 3 Entry
This has been a difficult build for me but I'm actually starting to like it now. Reason for this? I just don't do modern! As you may have guessed this is the Gravel House...
The sportsman has moved to Lunar Lakes and bought a bachelor pad - he loves geometric patterns and wanted the house to reflect his larger than life personality. He also now has a gym area, pool and small grassy area for playing ball. To continue throwing his legendary parties there is an outside bar, large table and barbecue.

Front View

Ground Floor

Upper Floor

Back View

Kitchen

Lounge

Master Bedroom

Guest Room
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#184 Old 31st Mar 2012 at 11:38 AM
Hey guys, hope you're all well and busy working hard on your Round 3 entries! The deadline is Wednesday and we still haven't had most of the entries in - I know we still have a few days but I figure I'll ask now... If you feel like you may need an extension let me know via PM and if there's a sufficient need, I can extend the round by a few days (I know it took a while to get the previous round's feedback out and some of you wait to see what the judges have to say before submitting the next round!)

Top Secret Researcher
#185 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 12:22 AM Last edited by Riptide651 : 1st Apr 2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Resized images
OK, so I promised myself this round, I wouldn't rush this house, and I wouldn't be the first to submit my entry like last time. But I so happened to have my entire evening free 2 days ago, and I just sat down and got to work. I made a promise.....

And well, I lied.

I had originally wanted to end with a BANG! and do something really different and make a prairie style house. My heart just sank when I saw the 4th foundation. Since the Prairie Style is Horizontally oriented, I could not build it. And on this foundation, even if I did, the balconies would take up countless space needed for the 4 bedrooms for the Lewis Family. After a bit of thought I settled on the Tudor Style. Although I love the style itself, I honestly had to clue how to build a Tudor House and make it Look Authentic. After a few hours of research and a gigantic waste of paper printing off hundreds of reference pictures to go off of, I created my 4th and Final Entry - Tudor is Better Than One Door (I loved it so much I had to give it a corny name.)

Here is the house:

This wonderful Tudor Style home, Is fully Landscaped and topped off with little pots of flowers on the openings in the fences.
The beams and plaster filled walls are not weight-bearing although the original Tudor style houses (Before weight-bearing walls) intended them to be. They are simply now for decoration.

The back of the house, complete with plenty of windows and a Brick wall, includes a wonderful secluded backyard hideaway, with a state-of-the-art grill, a pool, and a seating area.

The first story includes a living/dining area, a large kitchen, a master bedroom, and an en suite bathroom.

The warm living room is full of calm colors, countering the solid plaster and beams of wood on the walls. The cozy fireplace is a great place for Leanne to read.

On the upper level, there is the three daughters' bedrooms, a shared bathroom, and a large billiard room/library.

The billiard room is a great place for the family to hang out in, with plenty of space for Lorrie and Lara to challenge each other in a game of pool, and simply a treasure trove of first editions for Leanne to read. And luckily this keeps the kids entertained, as Layton and Lucinda relax downstairs by the fireplace or down by the pool.

Leanne's room is a yellow Victorian print, with a bookshelf and a chair on one side, and an easel on the other, where Leanne paints when not reading or writing. Behind us (not visible in the shot) is a loft bed, which underneath stands an antique desk on which Leanne writes. Interestingly enough, Leanne's room is the only bedroom without a TV, for she would rather read than watch it.

Lorrie's love for music stems into the very roots of her.... bedroom. With walls covered in records, posters, and neons, it is only topped off by her very own drum set and a set of electric guitars.

Lara's rooms was messy when the agent came by and she refused to let him take a picture (This is basically my haphazard and irrelevant excuse for putting in a picture of the game room instead of Lara's room)

Special Thanks: granthes for his OMSP
Buzzler for his scribbling pad.

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Field Researcher
#186 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 10:46 AM
Wow the exterior looks fantastic - you must upload that one after the contest :-)
Field Researcher
#187 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 12:11 PM
Round 4 - Montenegro

I have been really looking forward to this round. I wanted to create a vibrant mix of colours, clashing and complementing simultaneously. Rain's house is an old house, Victorian in fact. The attic has been renovated into an art studio with huge windows to let in the light. The windows were sourced from an old factory and the decor is an eclectic mix from charity shops. As you can see she loves colourful clutter and warm colours like reds/corals to contrast with her favourite greens and turquoises. She has picked up some antique bargains and old rugs to create a truly bohemian look.
Rain also loves her back garden, divided into circles of patio and lawn, separated by flowers and rocks.

Front View:

Upper Floor:

Ground Floor:

Living Area:

Sleeping Area:

Bathroom:

Studio:

Studio View 2:
Test Subject
#188 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 6:50 PM
I'm sorry to say I have to withdraw from the contest.
Good luck everyone, and I'll be ogling from the sidelines.
Top Secret Researcher
#189 Old 1st Apr 2012 at 7:02 PM
sandymdh: You house looks great too! I'll try uploading mine, since I kept CC to a minimal in this one.

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Instructor
#190 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 8:34 AM
To double-check, because I couldn't find the post on it: are we allowed to put fireplaces against an outside wall with the chimney jutting out from the foundation?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#191 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 10:39 AM
katalina522... Yes you may, but you cannot build any walls around it from the outside, or place a foundation underneath it (it will place something underneath the fireplace the height of the foundation, though, so it won't look like it's floating! You just can't extend the foundation underneath it. Ideally, though (I'm saying as a house designer, not a judge) it's best to have the entire fireplace (the entire 2x2 square) inside the house, so you can decorate the walls around it.... silly EA not making fireplace bricks recolourable!

Due to a few requests, Round 3 will be extended by 4 days and will now close on Sunday 8th April at 11:59:59 BST (GMT+1.)

If you don't think you can get an entry in by then, please PM me to let me know!

Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#192 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 12:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wgroome
silly EA not making fireplace bricks recolourable!
Luckily there are silly Finns who make them recolourable (not advertising, not at all!)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#193 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 1:24 PM Last edited by wgroome : 2nd Apr 2012 at 3:34 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by armiel
Luckily there are silly Finns who make them recolourable (not advertising, not at all!)

Haha, sorry! I'm not au fait with the world of Sims 3 downloads! :P

Instructor
#194 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 5:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wgroome
Haha, sorry! I'm not au fait with the world of Sims 3 downloads! :P

Thanks, wgroome! (There are recolors for TS2 as well, to match most of the basegame walls-- though it's kind of silly to put wood siding on a chimney... )
Scholar
#195 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 1:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by katalina522
Thanks, wgroome! (There are recolors for TS2 as well, to match most of the basegame walls-- though it's kind of silly to put wood siding on a chimney... )

My neighbour across the street did that way back when... the entire front half of their house burnt down.
Field Researcher
#196 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 5:00 PM
Default Round 3 - Barkworth's Retreat
Entrances (main, on the porch, and side entrance into a kind of mudroom, for when Mike and Meadow return from an expedition in the nearby woods and along muddy banks). This is a small lot right up against some mountainous terrain. You can't see it here, but their road is unpaved; therefore I left the landscape more "natural": worn-away grass rather than pavers or other man-made materials. The Barkworths keep things simple! Besides, they'd rather "play" in the outdoors than maintain a whole lot of hardscaping, don't you think?

Private rear entry goes straight into the single bedroom. It also allows easy access to the clothes line (not shown, but you can see it's shadow on the right, if you look carefully)

A small lot doesn't prevent some beautiful flower beds around the house! The stairs on the far side lead to the private bedroom's porch.

"Mudroom" entry. Cheerful curtains and a hanging quilt reflect the homeowner's joie-de-vivre.

Front door and cozy corner by the fireplace.

More cheerfulness in the kitchen and dining alcove.

Flowers flowers everywhere! (and I *love* that quilt!) Meadow sure likes her flowers, from the curtains to the rug to he quilt...

Here's the overview shot:
Lab Assistant
#197 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 10:01 PM
Round 3 - The Barkworth Family

Front view.

First floor.

Second floor.

Bedroom.

Kitchen.

Living room.

Backyard with a lake.

Front, side, paddock.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#198 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:10 AM
Ack, this one was close. Managed to completely break my game this afternoon (note to self - do not install Scriptorium with busted registry entries...), flashing red 'hoods all round, don't have my disks, leaving the country for a week and a half on Friday. Fun fun fun! Yay for geronimo troubleshooting.

So, eventually, somewhat miraculously, I present...
Round 3 - The Lewis Family
The Lewises are a big family, and big families have to think big. This imitation-grand imitation-old imitation-stately home makes quite the statement from the outside - making up for the statement Layton finds himself unable to make in the normal way, due to the lack of commercially available five-seater sports cars - but inside it is remarkably modern and comfortable. It may be imitation-almost-everything, but it's certainly not an imitation-home!

The grand front door opens onto a welcoming hallway, with a small downstairs toilet, and the only bookcase in the house which, incidentally, contains nothing of Leanne's. Past the staircase, a door leads to the spacious, well-equipped kitchen, and on into the small but tidy dining room. The back door leads out to an enclosed patio, perfect for sitting out in the sun.

Back inside, the luxurious living room provides a comfy place to while away the evenings - why yes, Phae, that is your piano. Great minds again, huh? Through the glass door (extra thick, to drown out-umm, preserve... the sanctity of... Lorrie's sax playing) is the sunny study, complete with Lara's old world map.

Well, we all know what's coming upstairs! Layton and Lucinda's spacious, relaxing master bedroom is complemented by a luxurious bathroom with in-built tub/shower and a wall of small mirrors, all the better to peek at you with, my dear. Their small balcony provides the perfect vantage point for morning coffee, or for spying on the neighbours - whatever takes their fancy.
The three girls share the larger bathroom at the front of the house - and in case of disputes, the loser can always go and wash in the fountain out front...

The girls' bedrooms are, of course, their pride and joy. Lara loves fresh air: hiking, mountain climbing, skiing - anything that's under the clear blue sky, she'll try. She's also an avid fan of watersports, owner not only of snorkelling gear ("If it can survive the ocean it can survive being left on the floor, Dad!" "No-one steps on it in the ocean, Lara!"), but of a custom made surfboard, which lives just behind the camera...
Of course, one lake/ocean/mountain is never enough: Lara is constantly dreaming of adrenaline-fuelled adventures in far flung places.

Leanne loves reading almost as much as she loves writing, and that's saying something. In her sunny bedroom - which she privately refers to as "the tower room" - evidence of her many, many, many... many literary endeavours is all around. When she's not writing at her desk, the ottoman provides a perfect place to read in the sunshine - and the high shelf next to her loft bed saves her all the fuss of trying to sleep with a torch and a book under her pillow.

Lorrie has excellent taste - simple, classy, and sophisticated. Combine that with her skills at sax, violin, and cello (she's not allowed any instruments in her room - but no-one can get the cello down the stairs without Lara's help, and Lara and Lorrie have a deal...), and you could be forgiven for jumping to conclusions about Lorrie. You might, then, be surprised that, in addition to playing her music, she also composes, records, edits, produces, and distributes it - all from behind that fancy computer. There's nothing a few Young Musician Awards in a row can't buy you.

When the girls aren't shut up in their rooms, pursuing their various passions, the somewhat more untamed area of the garden is theirs: the makeshift auditorium, dug out by Lara, is a great place to sit and giggle at each others' musical and poetic recitals; Leanne loves to sit under the apple blossoms, staring into the distance in the hope that her imagination might suddenly decide to line up in an orderly fashion. As for Lara - she's happy wherever there's green! Layton and Lucinda are hardly excluded, with the run of the patio (when it's not being used for BBQs), or the option of listening in on their daughter's antics from the intimate little balcony above.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#199 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:58 AM
Hey guys :/ As you've probably already realized, I'm going to have to withdraw. With a close death from a family member of mine and a really nasty break-up (Aren't teenage years great?) I haven't been able to play nor in the mood. I have such horrible luck with contests - things always happen to disrupt them. But either way have fun everyone!!

Call me Maria(:
Field Researcher
#200 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 5:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by noteardrops
Hey guys :/ As you've probably already realized, I'm going to have to withdraw. With a close death from a family member of mine and a really nasty break-up (Aren't teenage years great?) I haven't been able to play nor in the mood. I have such horrible luck with contests - things always happen to disrupt them. But either way have fun everyone!!

Oh no, I'm terribly sorry for your losses. Thanks for your participation.

Page 8 of 11