Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#76 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 7:18 PM
This has happened before - I distinctly remember writing a witty and well-informed reply (as I do) about face blindness, and specifically the fact that I don't have it, but either the universe threw it away or I forgot to post it. It's the latter, no doubt, since I have a habit of opening more browser windows than I can reasonably manage.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Scholar
#77 Old 20th Oct 2018 at 7:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
You're welcome.

Of course, I find it hard to believe that EA wouldn't be aware of things that cause game corruption, as opposed to neighborhood corruption. (Which I do believe they can largely be excused for.) Things like grand vamps being able to bite Crumplebottom. Or being able to make the "object" characters -- like Crumplebottom, the reaper, the therapist, etc. -- playable. They should have known that THOSE things would cause problems because those things affect the install files (the stuff in "Program Files" not "Documents"). I mean, it's easily noticeable that it does that, and it would be easily fixable by forcing that file, at least, to be read-only upon install, without people having to do that themselves. So of course there is sloppiness that EA can be blamed for and that, indeed, they should have fixed or at least made players aware of via, for instance, information on the official site, when that existed. But the neighborhood corruption stuff -- deleting Sims, moving occupied lots to the lot bin, installing downloaded occupied lots, etc. -- they couldn't really have known about that without extensive testing and then diagnostics...and then even if they'd figured it all out, to fully fix it might well require a complete retooling of the game. As in, removing it from the market, fixing it, and re-releasing it fixed. Which they obviously weren't going to do. So...yeah.

Oh Mrs.Crumplebottom, I got a mod that prevents that old bat from showing up on my community lots and smacking my sims with her purse because they wanted to get a little nasty so to speak.
Mad Poster
#78 Old 21st Oct 2018 at 2:18 AM
With the issue of TS2 corruption....that's not it at all. Fact of the matter is that the whole "corruption" thing was discovered by players -- players who populated this very forum, in fact -- and, most importantly, it was discovered and fully figured-out only well after the game was out of production. ... So, they weren't "letting modders fix their mess" so much as A) "they had no idea there was mess" and B) "modders were at that point the only people who could fix it."

EA knew perfectly well about at least some of the problems being caused by the objects.package file being corrupted while the game was still in production. With all the discussion about problems related to the objects.package file at both MATY and the official site, they couldn't possibly have been unaware that there was a problem. A Maxoid even posted at MATY in response to a thread about Mrs. Crumplebottom being bitten by vampires. He said he'd reported it and encouraged players to do so also. He also recommended making the objects.package read-only. For whatever reason, EA never acted on this or made any sort of fix for the problem. It was left up to the modding community to find ways to either prevent vampires from biting Mrs. C. or to prevent it having any effect on the game files.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...opic,718.0.html
Undead Molten Llama
#79 Old 21st Oct 2018 at 3:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
EA knew perfectly well about at least some of the problems being caused by the objects.package file being corrupted while the game was still in production. With all the discussion about problems related to the objects.package file at both MATY and the official site, they couldn't possibly have been unaware that there was a problem. A Maxoid even posted at MATY in response to a thread about Mrs. Crumplebottom being bitten by vampires. He said he'd reported it and encouraged players to do so also. He also recommended making the objects.package read-only. For whatever reason, EA never acted on this or made any sort of fix for the problem. It was left up to the modding community to find ways to either prevent vampires from biting Mrs. C. or to prevent it having any effect on the game files.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...opic,718.0.html

Yeah, that's what I said in the follow-up post I made, partly because I realized I hadn't made a distinction between game and neighborhood corruption. EA couldn't NOT know about avenues for GAME corruption, stuff affecting the objects file. But corrupting neighborhoods, which is a completely different issue? Not so much. That was all discovered later. And would require a lot more work to fix, even if they or anyone else had discovered it while the game was in production. For that, I'm not sure they could've done much other than advising players about the issue, since it would require retooling some very basic things that I don't know could be addressed with just a patch. But they probably wouldn't have even posted info anywhere since they never even pointed out the very easy -- no mods required, even -- method of preventing game corruption.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#80 Old 21st Oct 2018 at 12:17 PM
Hmmm - something about neighbourhood corruption was known at the end of the the TS2 cycle though - it's the reason I remade Little Carping with empty templates (coming up to its 12 birthday shortly). I remember quite a bit of the discussions on MATY about it. In fact, that's where I got most of my basic knowledge about the game systems and how they could go wrong.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Undead Molten Llama
#81 Old 21st Oct 2018 at 5:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Hmmm - something about neighbourhood corruption was known at the end of the the TS2 cycle though - it's the reason I remade Little Carping with empty templates (coming up to its 12 birthday shortly). I remember quite a bit of the discussions on MATY about it. In fact, that's where I got most of my basic knowledge about the game systems and how they could go wrong.

I think it was starting to be discovered toward the end of production, yes. It came to be known that deleting Sims/tombstones was bad, as I recall, and Pescado devised a safe(?) method for removing them. I started playing in 2007 and got involved in the "fandom" -- as far as participating in forums and whatnot -- sometime in 2008, and I remember some discussion then, but it was still all being figured out at the time. The game was done and out of production by the fall of 2008, IIRC, so I'm not sure that EA could have done anything about it if they were notified of it or if they had been monitoring what was being discussed on forums other than the "official" one.

In any case, it seems that totally fixing it would involve tooling around at the source code level, since no modder's been able to, say, remove that "delete" button in the family bin. I don't know how extensive that tooling would need to be -- I know absolutely nothing about programming -- but regardless my guess would be that even if EA knew about neighborhood corruption, at that point in time it wouldn't have thought it worth it to fix it even if they could do so. Especially because neighborhood corruption isn't highly likely to affect any large chunk of the player base, anyway. Just us whack-os. Maybe they'd put out some sort of info about it...but probably not, since they didn't say anything about avoiding game corruption, which is far easier to do.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#82 Old 21st Oct 2018 at 8:48 PM
wouldn't have thought it worth it to fix it

That is what I said in different words.
Page 4 of 4