Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 9:31 AM Last edited by tikkall : 4th Jan 2015 at 8:30 PM.
Default Water Taxi Routing Issues
I am in the process of testing a world that I built, which started out as Isla Paradiso, but with some major edits. I deleted all lots, roads, and objects, repainted the terrain, and made it my own. I kept the routing from the original but went through the entire map and edited it to fit with my changes.

Anyway the problem I am having is Sims get in a water taxi to go to another part of the island, make a small loop the size of a medium sized lot and get back on land, the exact spot where they got on the water taxi, then get back on the water taxi and do it all over again, stuck in an endless routing nightmare.

In caw there is no unroutable terrain paint (blue) in the water. It does turn red when you check include steepness, but I was told that is normal. Plus where the problem is occurring routing was never altered because the terrain wasn't changed. Though I haven't noticed a successful water taxi transport anywhere, even where I have made changes to the terrain/routing.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Something I need to try?

Edit: It should also be noted that going somewhere in a water taxi in the ocean works fine. Just not taking a water taxi from one side of the island to another.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 12:24 PM
If you just made your own world, imported a hight map and worked on that instead, you wouldn't have to deal with potential problems and bugs made in the map from EA. A clean sheet so to speak. It might have saved you a lot of trouble, because then you know what you're working on.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 12:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
If you just made your own world, imported a hight map and worked on that instead, you wouldn't have to deal with potential problems and bugs made in the map from EA. A clean sheet so to speak. It might have saved you a lot of trouble, because then you know what you're working on.

I wanted to maintain the hidden islands and dive lots, which I succeeded on. In any case, it's basically finished. The only thing left is to play test and add a population, so can't really go back now!
Scholar
#4 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 9:59 PM
Even if you didn't change routing on parts of the world, I'm guessing that you've rebuilt routing prior to saving the world? If you post a picture of the area in question with "view routing on" and the routing paint visable, it might be helpful. My guess is that there is some problem with either where the taxi is supposed to land or something is blocking the taxi.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 10:37 PM
I had the same issue with a remake of Riverview but it only happened in one particular spot. After trying to smooth terrain several times and what not, I finally just painted the area with the blue non-routing paint so they couldn't use that area.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Jan 2015 at 5:57 AM Last edited by tikkall : 5th Jan 2015 at 6:26 AM.
Ok I have attached the coast line areas where I have noticed the problem. With some more testing I have tried to paint a part of the coast line blue and sims just go around the unroutable terrain to the water taxi to begin their infinite loop. They are able to get on a water taxi in the same area if you tell them to go boating in the middle of the ocean in a random spot, but if you tell them to go to a lot, it loops. This also happens if they are in a boat near the coastline and you tell them to go home. They go to the closest land area, get off the boat, get back on, and begin their loop.

Also here's a video of the issue.
Screenshots
Scholar
#7 Old 6th Jan 2015 at 1:19 AM
The red indicates non-routable terrain due to steepness. You could try "erasing" the non-routable areas but I don't think it will help. You might try raising/smoothing the terrain until the red goes away to see if that works - as auntielynds suggested. Be sure to re-build the routing periodically in order to see if there was any effect. Good luck!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Jan 2015 at 2:09 AM
I have seen many posts on the subject to fix my routing, everything I read has indicated that while red on land means it's too steep for sims to walk on, red on water is normal.