Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Sep 2011 at 7:00 AM
Default Changing armor colors.
I have the mods that unlock some armors as clothing.
However, I have not been able to find anything that can customize the armor they fight in.
Is it even possible to have a way to change the stupid red color of armor in CAS?
They just change clothes as soon as clothes are chosen.

I am guessing it would have to be a core mod like Grim's.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 15th Sep 2011 at 3:33 PM
I too would love to edit armor. My first 'kewl' armor set in the game was the goblin armor on my knight but I was sad when I found out I couldn't edit it from green to blue/yellow as that is my royal guard colors.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 13th Oct 2011 at 9:17 PM Last edited by ripple : 13th Oct 2011 at 11:08 PM.
Try and see if you can do it with an CAS Edit mod (Grim's Core, Treeag's, etc.). I've not tried it but I did google and find some elaborate method for doing this using one of those mods.

[edit]

I just tried it in my game. Basically, this is what you do if you want to recolour armour.

1) have you sim change into the armour you wish to edit by selecting it in the 'change outfit' option.
2) go into the CAS using Grim or Treeag's mod.
3) click -only- on the hair button, then click on the custom colour button that will bring up a panel of different recolours of the same hairs on the top left of the screen.
4) click on your sim's body, the top left panel will switch to displaying different recolours of the armour. Now you can recolour your sim's armour.
5) save and exit the CAS menu.

WARNING:
- editing Sims in the CAS post-sims creation using Grim's Core or Treeag's hack can trigger the 'blue eye epidemic' bug.
#4 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 1:35 PM
that doesn't recolor actual armor
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 6:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TotallyNewHere
that doesn't recolor actual armor

Yes, it does.

I'll upload a video later for people who might still be having trouble with the instructions.
#6 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ripple
Yes, it does.

I'll upload a video later for people who might still be having trouble with the instructions.

i find it hard to believe but sure...
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 9:21 PM Last edited by ripple : 14th Oct 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by TotallyNewHere
i find it hard to believe but sure...

That was a really juvenile response. You are not trolling in the YouTube comment boxes. This is the MTS community forums.

If you haven't even bothered to attempt to follow the instructions, and you are not capable of learning how to do this, or you are not interested in recolouring armours to begin with, then please go away and stop inundating this thread with clueless and off-topic comments.

If you have difficulty with the instructions, post which step you have difficulty with, politely, and other users might help.

I won't bother FRAPSing the step-by-step video now, unless someone--other than you--have difficulty with the written instructions.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 7:22 AM Last edited by ladyskye : 15th Oct 2011 at 7:37 AM.
I use Mods that let me use all of the armor in the game. With very few you can change the color of the armor itself. For others you can only change the surcoat colors. Still others you can only change a tiny bit of the color in the metals, like banding and rivets. Mostly, the chainmaille coifs and shirts stay that bright silver color. I haven't yet gotten into changing the color of those, I think the process is a bit more complicated than just going into CAS.

Are you talking about changing the color of the fabric over the armor, or the color of the metal in the armor itself?

When I start a Kingdom, I go through and change the livery of all the advisers, servants and guards to Kingdom colors. But the colors for the guards only apply to the surcoat over their chainmaille. The helmets (Yes, I take away their silly hats and hairs) are all the same dull silver color since I use the same basic helmet for all the Kingdom guards. So I guess it would depend on the armor you have, and what part of it you want to color.

Ripple, I'll be happy to give your method a shot.

I like playing The Sims. I don't like to be played like a Sim.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 8:00 AM
With this method, you can recolour some armour while others you can only recolour the surcoat, whereas in the default game you can do neither. This applies with some default game clothing outfits as well, where you can only edit some parts of the outfit in the wardrobe CAS. I haven't tested all the armours yet so I am not sure which one you can and which ones you cannot. The armours that have parts which cannot be recoloured even with this method, as well as the default game outfits that have parts you cannot recolour, would need to be cloned using Grim's cloner, so you can edit the texture files.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 10:36 AM Last edited by ladyskye : 15th Oct 2011 at 10:47 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ripple
With this method, you can recolour some armour while others you can only recolour the surcoat, whereas in the default game you can do neither. This applies with some default game clothing outfits as well, where you can only edit some parts of the outfit in the wardrobe CAS. I haven't tested all the armours yet so I am not sure which one you can and which ones you cannot. The armours that have parts which cannot be recoloured even with this method, as well as the default game outfits that have parts you cannot recolour, would need to be cloned using Grim's cloner, so you can edit the texture files.

Using your method I can't change any more color than I could before. Alas, I fear it must be retextured and colored elsewhere. TotallyNewHere was right. For the most part, the armor itself cannot be recolored in CAS, only the surcoats and a few small bits and pieces no matter the tecnique.

I like playing The Sims. I don't like to be played like a Sim.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 1:00 PM Last edited by ripple : 15th Oct 2011 at 1:16 PM.
Yeah, "TotallyNewHere was right"....

....or...

This is the advortonian scale:

This is the plate mail:

The admantle battleplate:

Steel plate mail, I believe...

There's something like 12+ armours in this game. I didn't bother to test all of them (because, as some may have gathered from my rather unimaginative re-colours of the armours shown in the screen caps, I actually don't care about recolouring armours and don't want to spend time doing it). I also haven't seen all the armours, I only tested these 4 and the 2 armours that are given to the monarch in the beginning of each kingdom (as far as I can tell, those 'freebie armours' are the only armours where you can not re-colour anything except the helm and the surcoat). I've had this game for less than a week, and I am not any where close to forging a doomsplate or angelsguard. Hopefully, other users will play around with the instructions and test all the armours in this game (rather than, say, play the 'I am right...no, I am right...' game) and report their findings. TotallyNewHere is not right (he's also rude and obnoxious, but let's not turn this into the 'other threads' he's managed to contaminate).

Like I said, some can be re-coloured using the method I outlined (the armours shown above), others may have to be extracted and re-textured (the 'freebie armour' you had problems re-colouring). I am not sure what you mean by "...no matter the tecnique [sic]." If you clone the armours and retexture their skins in Photoshop, you can change the colours to whatever you like--you can even put flower patterns on them if you like--as with any outfit. In fact, Grim just recently wrote a tutorial teaching people how to clone, edit the mesh of, and re-texture outfits. The 'hard' part here is getting the cloned re-textures to show up as 'hidden outfits' (e.g. armours) rather than as regular outfits (which was made possible with the TS3:WA martial arts outfits courtesy of mods). If we had the same tools for modding TS2 and TS3, you'd be able to use the jester's outfit as armour. Alas....

...for now we'll have to settle for some instructions I managed to find on Google which (strangely) seems to work well for me, but apparently is confusing to...some.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 3:13 PM Last edited by ForumZombie : 15th Oct 2011 at 3:46 PM.
I'm not trolling. I want this to work. I tried these instructions, but I am confused at step 3, what is custom color button (lower right paintbrush)? that doesn't work for me if that's it. Please do a FRAPS. I have no custom hair loaded, could that be part of it? I admit I gave up quickly when I couldn't figure it, so I only tried chainmail w/surcoat.
Instructor
#13 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 8:52 PM
What ripple is suggesting does work for the problem that the original poster was asking about.

Quote: Originally posted by batlham
They just change clothes as soon as clothes are chosen.

Indeed, if you follow the instructions, you can recolor armor. Meaning it will open up the recolor options for your armor in CAS, instead of changing back into your normal clothes. (There are probably other ways of doing this, too.)

This will not make any area recolorable that isn't set as recolorable in it's textures and CASP file.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 9:00 PM Last edited by ripple : 15th Oct 2011 at 10:03 PM.
Alright, I've uploaded the video. I am sorry if my previous response was a bit...'snippy', but I initially just posted some instructions about something I didn't really care that much about so batlham could play with it. It was intended to 'get the ball rolling', and I didn't think anyone would have a problem with that or that I'd solicit any 'pics or it didn't happen' type responses.....my instructions could also probably have been made clearer. So, apologies for that.

*Before anyone goes through the aggravation of the steps I listed at the bottom of this post, there are a number of limitations to this that you should be aware of:

1) As mentioned previously, not all armour can be be 're-coloured' via this method, which is to say that with some armours, you would be able to edit only the clothing parts (e.g. the surcoat, the cloak). As I found out during my testing, one of these armours is the 'knight's plate.' The others are the 'freebie armours' your monarch and knight starts with/given to the monarch at the village.

2) The re-colours won't always 'stick'--that is to say, when you go into combat, most of the time your armour re-colours will revert to the default game armour colour. The only times I've managed to avoid this is when my character is already wearing the armour and does not do the "cloth change twirl." The armour re-colour is 'saved', so whenever you change into that particular armour via the 'change outfit' button, you will see the re-coloured armour (so, ATM this might be good for stories and screen caps, not so much for gameplay). Likewise, if you try to edit that armour in the CAS during the middle of combat, you will see in the CAS that it has already been re-coloured. The problem is it just won't show up during combat. When combat begins, the game will always use the default armour texture rather than your re-colours. I only found this out today as I was making the video. This is obviously going to be the 'deal breaker' for many people. Maybe someone will spend some time to play around with the CAS armour editing thing and find a work-around for this (it won't be me, I am done with this).

3) I have not tried this with NPCs, only heroes. Might yield better or worse results. If you ever manage to swap the default armour colours with your own re-colours, every armour in game might end up using your re-colours (hmmm....pink...). No idea, but I am always interested in reading about the quirky stuff people find when they play with said stuff.

4) I have no idea if this has any negative repercussions on your game. Save after editing at your own risk.

The steps (link to annotated video at the bottom):

1) equip the armour you wish to re-colour.
2) have you sim wear that armour by selecting it in the 'change outfit' option.
3) go into the CAS using Grim or Treeag's mod while wearing that armour.
4) click on the 'hair' button, and only the hair button.
5) click on the 'create a style' button.
6) you can now re-colour the helmet/head parts.
7) click on the *body* of the sim, and you should now be able to re-colour (at least some clothing parts of) the armour.
8) after you are done, click the 'check' buttons to leave the CAS. When you click the 'check' button, the sim will revert to wearing his or her profession outfit. Don't panic. If you followed the steps, then the re-coloured armour will show up in game when your sim wears it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIeRqzabq-Q
Test Subject
#15 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 9:15 PM
Alright, so I've tried ripple's method, and it actually works ! Thank you !

ForumZombie, what you have to use is the create-a-style button, only avaible with hat-like hairstyles.

ladyskye I believe ripple was not talking about recoloring previously unrecolorable parts of the unlocked armor, but rather change the color of the usable armor in game, the one the monarch and the knight use in fights.

It will help me a lot, while I love the equipment available in game, this will only give me more options.

So, thanks ripple !
Screenshots
#16 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 11:46 AM
FYI: i tried it, and guess what. the colors were reverted as soon as I un-equiped and re-equiped the armor.

so much for your revolutionary discovery, genius.
Test Subject
#17 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 5:12 PM
I don't get why you're being so negative while we're only trying to make the game more enjoyable.

Yes unequipping the armor resets the colors, but that's simply like equipping a new one, changing clothes does not revert to the original armor.

At least that's how it's working in my game.
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#18 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 5:57 PM
TotallyNewHere, your rude responses in this thread need to stop. Everyone else is attempting to provide useful feedback, and your negative comments are doing nothing to help.

There's always money in the banana stand.
Locked thread | Locked by: simsample Reason: Locked as original question answered, and what do the KKK have to do with it anyway?