Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 10:30 PM
Default IP Lag in all worlds, or just Isla Paradiso?
Hello!

I'm all set to buy IP off Steam, and I'm wondering -- does the game's infamous lag extend into other maps, or is it only Isla Paradiso, with its innumerable routing problems, that's dysfunctional? (I know Isla can be repaired, but I'm not interested in doing the legwork. I've also heard the lag can vary, person-to-person, but the Steam reviews are pretty negative so I'm assuming I won't be spared!)

I'm happy to use IP as, essentially, a Stuff Pack -- I just don't want the game to run like glue.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Sep 2015 at 10:58 PM
Only Isla Paradiso. None of the other EA worlds are effected.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 12:03 AM
Thank you, HarVee! So I can snorkel, boat, and build sandcastles in Sunset Valley without lag, right? That sounds great!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 12:26 AM
Never had any increased lag in other EA worlds after installing this add on. I must be a lucky one.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 12:29 AM
I think what I will do is get IP but also install nraas's GoHere and disable boat routing.

That should cut down lag to near nothing, right? Because it will bar Sims from trying to route over water.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 2:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
Never had any increased lag in other EA worlds after installing this add on. I must be a lucky one.

It depends on the world. In Riverview, for example, the waterways are too narrow to support water taxis properly so this actually is a potential problem. The water taxis will still spawn periodically, sims will try to use them for routing, and end up going in small circles instead of actually getting anywhere. I try to block off areas from which sims keep attempting to do this with objects on the world lot like large rocks and fences.
Quote: Originally posted by applecider10
I think what I will do is get IP but also install nraas's GoHere and disable boat routing.

That should cut down lag to near nothing, right? Because it will bar Sims from trying to route over water.

In an otherwise perfect world, this would be a great solution. Unfortunately, the Disable Boat Routing option in the fully released version of GoHere (v43) is broken. If you set that to disable, sims will try to use boats anyway and end up in an undefined location in the game, sometimes appearing to float up to the sky in the process. Which is kind of funny, unless it causes a crash while the game camera tries to focus on something that isn't there.

That function in the version of GoHere currently in beta testing (v44c), while not perfect yet, works much better. However, that version also includes the beginnings of a new door locking feature that tends to kick up a bunch of script errors upon load up and occasionally in other contexts. Nothing horribly wrong with it, if you can get used to dismissing the error notifications after confirming they are not serious.
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/GoHere+Testing
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 3:40 AM
Thank you, igazor! I wish IP worked better out of the box.

I'm happy to dl a testing version of GoHere (nraas mods are golden!!), especially if the only wonky effect is dismissable script errors... but your post has made me nervous again about installing IP. My game runs very well with oodles of CC and four EPs (Generations, Seasons, Late Night, and Supernatural), but it has been subject to lag in the past and I have had to do clean reinstalls more than once to fix x or y issue.

The Sims is a wonderful game, but so unstable... I'm just afraid to bork it with an even more unstable EP, even though I'd love to take advantage of the fun features and custom world downloads associated with IP. If you think the new GoHere is sufficient to cut down lag in non-Isla Paradiso worlds, it may be worth the risk to try it. I can always uninstall IP and go back to a pre-IP save if it's unbearable (I back up my game religiously).
Mad Poster
#10 Old 1st Oct 2015 at 6:09 AM
I was hesitant to install IP myself after reading all the horror stories. But I like it more than am annoyed by its occasional nuisances. I found the Isla Paradiso world as broken as everyone else did, but it didn't really take that much effort to fix it up to the point where it's a really fun vacation destination (courtesy of the Traveler mod) and I didn't bother making every single residential lot perfect, just got rid of the three or four ridiculously broken ones. Just seeing the most run down of the three built-in resorts was hilarious enough to make it worth the trouble -- sims have to sleep in an old bathtub and the buffet looks like a bunch of garbage cans filled with spoiled food, something like that. But I can certainly see the appeal of playing IP style in custom worlds that have dive lots and other things to explore without all the flawed world overhead.

The boating nuisance in other homeworlds is not that pervasive for me. It's not like sims have given up their beloved cars and all take to the limited waterways at once. More like every once in a great while I catch an inactive sim or two trying to boat across a river when they should be using a nearby bridge instead. But if your game is already very sensitive to lag, you would just have to watch out for that sort of thing a bit more often.

Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Is there a way to get GoHere mod without all the other interactions? I like to use it just to disable water travel on certain worlds, but it added so much interaction that I don't need.

I'm afraid not. GoHere's purview is routing in general and I don't see any plans in the future to separate out the boating component from the rest of the mod. Personally I like the other things it brings to the table but guess I can understand why some might prefer other solutions. Good idea on the subways in China, by the way.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 2:16 AM
I love the map and all its features, but even with Twallan's blessings of mods, the map lags so much. I used to not be able to play 3 straight sim minutes without it freezing for 3 real minutes, and then I installed Overwatch/ErrorTrap/Etc. and I can play about 1 1/2 hour sim time before it freezes again. I've had it since it came out and I still haven't gotten to explore all the dive spots and everything
Mad Poster
#12 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 2:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vampiresam9097
I love the map and all its features, but even with Twallan's blessings of mods, the map lags so much. I used to not be able to play 3 straight sim minutes without it freezing for 3 real minutes, and then I installed Overwatch/ErrorTrap/Etc. and I can play about 1 1/2 hour sim time before it freezes again. I've had it since it came out and I still haven't gotten to explore all the dive spots and everything

From memory, here is what I did to make Isla playable as a vacation world (Traveler mod):
-- From Edit Town, evict the Ichtaca, Medina, and Los Amigos households and place them elsewhere. Bulldoze their lots.
-- Do the same with the Scott household, and bulldoze the port that their houseboat calls home (and their houseboat itself, I think)
-- You must have Register in place in addition to the mods mentioned to help suppress the invisible spawning of hundreds or thousands of unnecessary resort workers and keep the ones that do need to be assigned working instead of wandering away
-- Also use Register's Animal Control to disallow wild horses (and some say dogs and cats as well) as they keep getting stuck in ridiculous places

I also took the extra step of removing all households from houseboats and giving them homes inland, except for the one family of resident ghosts. Have since been told all that was unnecessary. Your mileage may vary.

Other players report having to use an in-game cheat code to remove the fog on undiscovered islands, but that didn't seem necessary for me. Maybe I didn't play there long enough for those to become a reall issue as it was really only just over a sim week.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 5:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
From memory, here is what I did to make Isla playable as a vacation world (Traveler mod):
-- From Edit Town, evict the Ichtaca, Medina, and Los Amigos households and place them elsewhere. Bulldoze their lots.
-- Do the same with the Scott household, and bulldoze the port that their houseboat calls home (and their houseboat itself, I think)
-- You must have Register in place in addition to the mods mentioned to help suppress the invisible spawning of hundreds or thousands of unnecessary resort workers and keep the ones that do need to be assigned working instead of wandering away
-- Also use Register's Animal Control to disallow wild horses (and some say dogs and cats as well) as they keep getting stuck in ridiculous places

I also took the extra step of removing all households from houseboats and giving them homes inland, except for the one family of resident ghosts. Have since been told all that was unnecessary. Your mileage may vary.

Other players report having to use an in-game cheat code to remove the fog on undiscovered islands, but that didn't seem necessary for me. Maybe I didn't play there long enough for those to become a reall issue as it was really only just over a sim week.

you're an amazing person ty for the tips :D