Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Apr 2016 at 3:18 AM
Default Are my specs okay?
Hey all! Just spent around the last hour trying to figure out where to post this so I am really hoping this area is okay. I'm completely a dummy when it comes to specs in general and what's okay for this and that and what-not. Anyways, I got a iMac about a year ago and I was really wanting to play the Sims 2 again but I don't want to tamper with anything or mess anything up running the game if my computer isn't fit for it. So I'll give my spec information to the best of my ability and could I get a response if it's okay to run? And if it is okay, what setting (in terms of quality)?

iMac OSX Yosemite

Processor and speed? 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 6MB L3 cache

Configurable to 3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz).

Graphics?
2.7GHz
Intel Iris Pro graphics
2.9GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

RAM?
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Apr 2016 at 5:28 AM
Looks okay to me (I'm not an expert, though). Just be aware that you can't use the CDs or downloaded game beyond a certain point (I think it was before BV or FT, but I might be wrong). There's the super collection for MAC, but it doesn't have anyhing extra in regards of EPs.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 18th Apr 2016 at 6:58 AM Last edited by lordtyger9 : 18th Apr 2016 at 12:18 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Looks okay to me (I'm not an expert, though). Just be aware that you can't use the CDs or downloaded game beyond a certain point (I think it was before BV or FT, but I might be wrong). There's the super collection for MAC, but it doesn't have anyhing extra in regards of EPs.

I am not sure about the graphics, this Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M works fine on my mid 2011 iMac for example, check on your chipset model.

Your graphics should be ok though.

You might want to go to the Mac App Store and look for The Sims 2: Super Collection, I think it has a information on what the specs are for Macs.

There is also the Aspyr web site and I know that they will tell you if your iMac is supported for various Mac games including The Sims 2.

Anyways, I would download the Super Collection from the Mac App Store, as that has all of the available Expansions and Stuff Packs that are available on the Mac and it has all the required patches as well.

The Sims 2: Super Collection is Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Family Fun, and Glamour Life.
This is the latest and most complete Sims 2 that there is for the Mac.

Free Time and Apartment Life and the other Stuff Packs not included above are only available on the PC and Not on the Mac.

Edited: added some more info.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 18th Apr 2016 at 10:59 AM
I don't know much about iMac - but the processor is definitely strong enough, memory is enough and the Nvidia works well on Windows. (Agree to getting the Super Collection too - using the UC myself).
Mad Poster
#5 Old 18th Apr 2016 at 2:04 PM
It sounds like you have dual graphics on this laptop and if so you need to make sure your Sims 2 game is using the Nvidia GeForce GT 750M instead of the Intel Iris Pro graphics.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
#6 Old 19th Apr 2016 at 10:14 PM Last edited by muridae : 19th Apr 2016 at 10:27 PM.
@SimsLover91 - it looks like you've given the customisation options for your iMac rather than its exact configuration. If you want to get those details, you can get them by going to the Apple menu, then selecting About This Mac. The Overview tab there will give you the exact OS X version, iMac model, processor, memory and graphics information you need.

Based on what you've said though, it ought to be fine. You're running a supported version of OS X for the Sims 2 Super Collection, and you've got a powerful enough CPU and plenty of RAM. I don't really know the Nvidia cards (my Macs have always ended up with ATI ones), but the minimum spec Nvidia card listed is for a 2008 iMac, and yours is much newer than that. 2013-ish? It's got 1GB of VRAM, which is plenty.

If you really want to double check, you can go to www.gameagent.com, and use their Mac Match feature to check that your spec is okay for the game.

I'm running the game fine on a 2010 iMac (and occasionally on a 2013 Macbook Air).

The above all assumes that you're planning to buy the Sims 2 Super Collection from the Mac App Store and play it natively on OS X. You can also play it under Windows in a Bootcamp partition (for which your specs will also be fine, though you may have to fiddle a bit with the graphics if it doesn't recognise your card), though obviously that's a lot more technical and involves having a copy of Windows to install and the game on Windows DVD or Origin.

Apart from missing some of the non-Mac EPs and SPs, I rather like playing the game in OS X. It was pretty much completely rewritten by Aspyr for modern Macs and it plays a lot more smoothly than I remember from playing on Windows.

(I'm not sure how the game handles the two graphics cards, as my iMac predates that. However, Aspyr released it after Apple started putting the dual cards in, so it will probably default to the Nvidia card automatically.)
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 19th Apr 2016 at 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by muridae
@SimsLover91 - it looks like you've given the customisation options for your iMac rather than its exact configuration. If you want to get those details, you can get them by going to the Apple menu, then selecting About This Mac. The Overview tab there will give you the exact OS X version, iMac model, processor, memory and graphics information you need.

Based on what you've said though, it ought to be fine. You're running a supported version of OS X for the Sims 2 Super Collection, and you've got a powerful enough CPU and plenty of RAM. I don't really know the Nvidia cards (my Macs have always ended up with ATI ones), but the minimum spec Nvidia card listed is for a 2008 iMac, and yours is much newer than that. 2013-ish? It's got 1GB of VRAM, which is plenty.

If you really want to double check, you can go to www.gameagent.com, and use their Mac Match feature to check that your spec is okay for the game.

I'm running the game fine on a 2010 iMac (and occasionally on a 2013 Macbook Air).

The above all assumes that you're planning to buy the Sims 2 Super Collection from the Mac App Store and play it natively on OS X. You can also play it under Windows in a Bootcamp partition (for which your specs will also be fine, though you may have to fiddle a bit with the graphics if it doesn't recognise your card), though obviously that's a lot more technical and involves having a copy of Windows to install and the game on Windows DVD or Origin.

Apart from missing some of the non-Mac EPs and SPs, I rather like playing the game in OS X. It was pretty much completely rewritten by Aspyr for modern Macs and it plays a lot more smoothly than I remember from playing on Windows.

(I'm not sure how the game handles the two graphics cards, as my iMac predates that. However, Aspyr released it after Apple started putting the dual cards in, so it will probably default to the Nvidia card automatically.)

The Sims 2: Super Collection now runs better on my iMac than the older Aspyr versions on DVD that I used to run on my iMac, I am quite happy with The Sims 2: Super Collection.

Checking with Game Agent is a good idea, I would do that if I was wondering about my specs.

I don't miss the non-Mac EPs and SPs my self since I have never had them lol.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 20th Apr 2016 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
The Sims 2: Super Collection now runs better on my iMac than the older Aspyr versions on DVD that I used to run on my iMac, I am quite happy with The Sims 2: Super Collection.

Definitely. I had everything on DVD and was running it in Bootcamp on the iMac before Aspyr did the Super Collection re-release. The Mac version definitely runs much better on the same machine, which I know isn't usually what you'd expect.

I miss the modify neighbourhood terrain cheat more than any of the content from the missing EPs/SPs!