Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#101 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 12:20 AM
And now that the theater is open, there's no hope for them ever making a proper system in an EP. Movies? Popcorn? Sims all sitting down to watch at designated times interrupting and throwing popcorn? Sims blocking view? Screams at horror films? Making/selling our own films? Yes please. Movies are an experience - this is just cheap.

Now, I want to see an EP based around things to do around town - oh wait, we had Town Life, never mind.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#102 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 12:29 AM
^^^ I sadly agree with this. I wanted a whole theatre experience, with different categories of theatres, like old fashioned (30s-50s era) to the current standard movie theaters and such. If I wanted my sim to watch a huge TV (without having to use the Showtime TV), I'll just moveobjects them right next to the screen. It's basically the same thing....pixels and all.

In any case, my UL came in by UPS today. I'm happy, but won't be thrilled till I can play it.

My machinima music series "Had I Known" *four years in the making* will be well underway......as soon as I get a computer that will run TS3 properly! •sigh• But it'll be soon! :)
Mad Poster
#103 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 12:46 AM Last edited by matrix54 : 7th Mar 2013 at 12:56 AM.
Ugh.. they could devote an entire feature of an EP to movies. IMAX/3D images, movie projectors, Drive ins (sims park and watch), Big Screens, Movies at home on the TV.

Staggered seating/build tools, working/buying from the counter, film making (taken from generations) and selling films, popcorn machines.

Silent Films that makes most Sims who aren't elders bored, Horror films that makes Sims scream upon viewing it, Rom-Coms that makes Sims cuddle, Chick-Flicks that make Sims cry, Comedy that's makes Sims laugh and Action flicks that makes Sims cheer and yell with excitement or historical movies that makes Sims fall a sleep. The ever popular Woo-Hoo movies.

Sims that talk while the movie is playing, cell phones go off, being pelted with popcorn or throwing it at a Sim. Sims stand up and block the screen, hand signals in front of the projector, 3D makes some Sims nauseous or evens scares them, horror makes them vomit...

There's a great many things EA can do to flesh out the movie system, rather than just adding a ticket machine and a big screen.

Field Researcher
#104 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 12:52 AM
So many great ideas! I'm sad we will never get it now.
Mad Poster
#105 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 12:57 AM
I'm sorry, I'm a game designer in training and I took an opportunity to practice.

Lab Assistant
#106 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 1:04 AM
You know, I don't know if it's still on here (it's been a while since I've checked), but someone made a HUUUUUGE TV screen (much bigger than Showtime ever had ), and I saw a huge potential to make a makeshift Drive in with that. Of course it wouldn't work the way it SHOULD, but it'd appear like it.

I mean imagine, you have a bunch of cars parked in front of the huge screen, with little speakers next to the window (although nowadays they make you use your car's radio...different but still cool lol). Off in the corner, there's a playground for the kids to play whilst the movie's going, especially when it's a movie they aren't interested in. Then off on the other end of the lot you have a big building where there's restrooms, a place to buy concessions, a few tables to sit down and relax while waiting for the movie to start (or in-between showings, as of course there usually are two movies shown at a Drive in...in Sims world though one would suffice IMO ), maybe even a guy walking around the lot, yelling the simlish equivalent of "POPCORN! COTTON CANDY! GET IT RIGHT HERE!". The admission to get in would be for the whole car, so no matter if you have two sims in the car, or in some cases six , the price would be the same, so it'd be a great way to make an event out of it and have the whole family along, or a group of friends.

^^^ See? That's just a DRIVE IN aspect! Consider all you could do with all the aspects of movies and the theatre. *sigh*

You know, everyone's ideas for all of this should DEFINITELY be considered for Sims 4, if TS3 can't get the benefit of its treatment. :D

My machinima music series "Had I Known" *four years in the making* will be well underway......as soon as I get a computer that will run TS3 properly! •sigh• But it'll be soon! :)
Field Researcher
#107 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 1:14 AM
I honestly don't understand why this isn't part of the 'costume stuff' pack that's coming out this year. I know it's a venue, but ffs...

Quote: Originally posted by simzfreek89
You know, I don't know if it's still on here (it's been a while since I've checked), but someone made a HUUUUUGE TV screen (much bigger than Showtime ever had ), and I saw a huge potential to make a makeshift Drive in with that. Of course it wouldn't work the way it SHOULD, but it'd appear like it.

AFAIK it's still on here somewhere. I have it DLed but need a place to put it. :P
Mad Poster
#108 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 1:23 AM
Ea wont listen, becuase it requires work. They'll only put in a lot of work on the base game and run thrugh the gauntlet of EPs again, ill planned and shaving off content. Like, when Ryan said they don't plan anything, they make whatever's cool - that's a no. TS2 may not have been a work of art, but planning surely was a large part of the dev cycle. Uni worked as the first EP and effected the overall game. It also added content that player could use outside of school, naturally. Night Life is also a great second addition - Sims could do much more outside of the house than just shop for clothes, games or food. Dining, Bowling, clubbing, romance. Life Stories made it evident that with those 2 EPs and the base game, the game was already fleshed out, and didn't really need much else to simulate life (except pets and seasons). The two added a lot.

World Adventures, on the other hand, was a crappy starting EP, but was done to get the three hoods out of the way (probably). It did nothing to flesh out the main game, and the game, in itself, was repetitive. They didn't have any time to capitalize on the smaller features they did have that would have worked in normal hoods. It was the beginning of open shops, but it didn't bode over well. Markets/shops weren't even a home world feature, so it sank. Ambitions added things to do around town, but most of it was just jobs. It added stuff to build/buy mode (which was neglected in the Sims 3). It added gameplay, but the core of the game itself was very bare,and the hangout lot did nothing, as there was nothing to go along with it. The game didn't start REALLY filling out until late last year, actually. That's will all the expansion packs installed.

It took Maxis a year to get it right (even with bugs). It's taken EA 3, and we're still missing core features. Maxis knew how to take an empty part of the game and build upon it. EA (even with the help of maxis employees) can not do that. Rabbit holes are fine for the base game, but they should have been expanded upon. Even the collection system could have been expanded on a bit.

Unless the lead designer of 4 knows what the game needs and doesn't leave/get fired to work on something else, 4 will tank. Period.

Lab Assistant
#109 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 1:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by catnipeverdeen
AFAIK it's still on here somewhere. I have it DLed but need a place to put it. :P

Found it!

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=395200

You know, I actually was gonna make a machinima that took place in a Drive in, thanks to this screen, but then that computer turned into a pixelated mess, and I scrapped it. Still love the potential though. I kinda wanna try that out now. Hmmm...

One Minute Ninja'd
#110 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 1:39 AM
So, I get this venue for a couple of thousand Simpoints, and my sims get to go there, buy a ticket with real Simoleans from the premium ticket machine, to sit down and watch the same TV shows they watch at home?

Sounds like EA is trying to use the Hollywood Studio Model for this deal. Even so, at least when I went to see The X-Files, the Movie, it wasn't just a rerun of an episode I already saw on TV (well, it kind of was, but with higher production value).
Mad Poster
#111 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 1:57 AM
^Not a clone though. Those were just television images, just blown up.

With the ticket machine, they could made ANY venue they wanted. They could have made a night club, since we need more nightclub stuff. Hell, they could have sold it separately.

Theorist
#112 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 3:19 AM
The more detailed blog from SimGuruCopeland is up: http://www.thesims3.com/community/b...l?blogid=489608

A lot more options than I could have expected, we're basically getting part of OFB back with that turnstile. I don't think it completely cancels out an OFB remake though since we still can't run our own shops or home businesses.
Test Subject
#113 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 3:25 AM
Well it said you can watch a horror movie, or love movie....so they do refer to them as actual movies. The ticket machine and booth is a cool idea to create specific venues for specific Sims.
Theorist
#114 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 3:32 AM
That bit was odd, because from the teaser pictures they're obviously the same old videos from the TV. It's just that from the cinema screen, they give specific moodlets. It's kind of unfortunate how limited they are with video footage because they did the same thing with the smart phone "show video" interactions in UL.
Mad Poster
#115 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 3:41 AM Last edited by matrix54 : 7th Mar 2013 at 3:52 AM.
Ticking off those business 1 by 1 aren't you EA? Produce carts, lemonade stands, daycare centers, spas... All just in time for an EP... about owning a form of business. Cute. And that menu board cracks me up, because Sims can't buy food without an WA. I think I see popcorn on it. And I don't know why they hype the TV. It simply gives out a moodlet now.

And a normal Sim dressed up as an NPC. That's right, EA, you bait those suckers who STILL think the obvious bar is a concession stand.

At least the Turn Stile is good. I'm not sure I like that the tickets are timed and colored though...

Field Researcher
#116 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 5:35 AM
Isn't there supposed to be a movie making SP out eventually? Why didn't EA wait to release these store items until a while after that SP is out, and have a contest for simmers to make the "movies" the sims would be watching? All they'd have to do is toss some store points to the winners (say five movies per category or something), I would think, and boom, movies without EA having to make them.

Click HERE please, so I can up the sweet sweet page count. Thanks!

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx
Mad Poster
#117 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 6:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CeJaye
Isn't there supposed to be a movie making SP out eventually? Why didn't EA wait to release these store items until a while after that SP is out, and have a contest for simmers to make the "movies" the sims would be watching? All they'd have to do is toss some store points to the winners (say five movies per category or something), I would think, and boom, movies without EA having to make them.

Simple: Because people will both it. At top dollar no less.

And that building isn't Art Deco. Take away that marque and it's just ranodom architecture. I don't even know that hell that is.

Field Researcher
#118 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 8:18 AM
I hope Sims can watch movies from other floors, so at least we could create something like this.

(Doubt it though... ) Definitely going to wait to see what others say before I consider getting this since I don't even have uni-life yet (hurry up 8th!).

Quote:
There’s a variety of movies to select, from romantic comedy, to drama, action, adventure and so on.

We can't select movies at home can we...?

Quote:
Each one provides a ton of fun, and a buff that not only helps your Sims mood, but may also inspire them into different interactions. So for example, if you take your Sim to see a romantic movie, they might be more inclined to be more romantic for the rest of the day.

At least it has some sort of effect on them, (still prefer Matrix's ideas, take notes EA!!!). And what happens when they watch an adventure movie? They aren't going to bug me with endless rolls of wishes to visit china/egypt/france are they? It doesn't say anything about horror movies, but I would expect a Sim who watches a horror movie to randomly pee their pants all day, unless they're brave.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#119 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 8:20 AM
I like the turn stile and ticket booth, good they can be useful in all types of venues expanding the possibilities. Since it's a venue, can't get them separately. Again we are stuck wit things we don't want just to get a few pieces. The candy bar is just sad, why EA? That could be a cool vending object, but they made it a bar which Sims would be attached to it. I don't even use those things in my game.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
One Minute Ninja'd
#120 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 10:50 AM
Quote:
It seems like every town has one of those great old places to catch classics from the silver screen. You may have seen these movies dozens of times on TV, but there is just something about seeing them in that environment that really makes the experience especially memorable.

Yup, same video as the TV channels. So a romantic movie will be the Romance channel, and adventure movie will be the Adventure channel (or whatever they're called in game, I forget, as my sims rarely watch TV). So much for premium content from premium objects.
Forum Resident
#121 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 5:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Luisa's Bones
I hope Sims can watch movies from other floors, so at least we could create something like this.

If you use the giant TV on this site, you can create that kind of theater experience. I made one once... but I think I've lost even the photos I had of it, due to stupidity and brain farts while uninstalling and reinstalling the game...
Mad Poster
#122 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 6:03 PM
It's released - EA admitted to the screen being exactly the same. I don't know what this is PC, to be honest. Nothing new about at at all, except the moodlets.

Edit: THE BARRIER COSTS 6 USD!

Lab Assistant
#123 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 7:01 PM
I think I can duplicate the main functions of the barrier machine using the business ticket machine from Simlogical http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=1078.0 (recommended to me by Sojourner in a different thread) and NRAAS mods. A bigger large screen TV with additional moodlets isn't too tempting to me. The building is very pretty, but why should I spend $17USD (sale!) for something I could create myself to my own specifications?
Field Researcher
#124 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 7:09 PM
Jeez, they could've expanded the art deco furniture a bit, and what's up with the clothes? It looks like they were pulled from a bunch of other random sets. That "English" ruffled jacket is undoubtedly a Rococo Reject.
Scholar
#125 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 7:19 PM
Sounds like another EA FAIL in the Store department; I did get a bit excited about being able to have certain Sims on your lots, but the rest of it? Meh...
And for 17 big ones? Sale price?? Forget it...
*toddles off to Simlogical to download Inge's ticket machine*

...Titanium white...
Page 5 of 124