Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 9:47 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Pink textures on random maxis objects, clothes and hair
Today, played the game I discovered this:

How this begin: Chase and Constancie went to Downtown to park, on a date. Then i decided went to Oresha Family Dining And pink show started. Random maxis hairstyle, clothes windows and doors blinked. Even the water tower blinked from lot view. Then I went home and see what on screenshot. And game crashed.

I remember something about game corruption decide to ckeck object. package files in game folders (Object/object.package) And found that M&G stuff pack object.package date have 2018 year. I remember that tis files must have 2008 year, not 2018. Is this dangerous for game? And what was that? Then my game behaved perfectly.
Screenshots
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 9:56 PM
That's not corruption, that's usually the game running out of operating memory. Not surprised it crashed - that's what usually happens.

You possibly need to update your graphicrules.sgr and/or apply the 4GB patch file though there are other things that can help - the simplest being saving more often and shutting the game down and starting up afresh. As for your objects.package you can just replace it with the one from the disks (if you have disks) or repair using Origin (if you have UC). If you do have UC, that usually means you have to put back a few things if you modded your game (like the aforementioned graphicrules.sgr file).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jun 2018 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
That's not corruption, that's usually the game running out of operating memory. Not surprised it crashed - that's what usually happens.

You possibly need to update your graphicrules.sgr and/or apply the 4GB patch file though there are other things that can help - the simplest being saving more often and shutting the game down and starting up afresh. As for your objects.package you can just replace it with the one from the disks (if you have disks) or repair using Origin (if you have UC). If you do have UC, that usually means you have to put back a few things if you modded your game (like the aforementioned graphicrules.sgr file).

I have 4 GB patch, thankfully Jessa's video. What about graphicrules.sgr? I set it up to Full HD resolution.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 12:45 AM
Delete the thumbnails folder (advice I found on Leefish) - I can't remember what causes it, but if you look inside the folder, some of those numbers (especially the CAST one) may be very high - those need to be deleted before you start the game again).
It has worked for me and now do it once in a while, have not seen the pink again.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 1:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Liza
I have 4 GB patch, thankfully Jessa's video. What about graphicrules.sgr? I set it up to Full HD resolution.

It's memory usage not resolution. You have to think about optimising, as much as possible, the way the game uses memory, especially video memory. Unfortunately, it's a 14 year old game and is not optimised for modern machines. There are a few things you can do - there's a thread around here somewhere. Personally, my solution was to go back to Win7 which is a better match for the game (though not perfect).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 2:20 AM
What about the Memory Allocation Fix in Jessa's video though?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 7:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
What about the Memory Allocation Fix in Jessa's video though?

Yes in video was something about "stand by" memory. Maybe i will try it later. Thank you all for your help!
Undead Molten Llama
#8 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 10:46 AM
Alas, you can do all that stuff and STILL get the pink flashing.

Assuming that you're not running the game on integrated graphics, the issue is not running out of system memory or system memory leakage at all, which is what the 4GB patch et. al. addresses. This issue is running out of TEXTURE memory, which is entirely different. Part of the problem here is that the game itself has some technical issues with how it processes texture memory. That, you can't fix, no matter what you do. It just is; the game was never meant to be high-poly/high-res and people forcing the game to be that (I'm as guilty of that as anyone, perhaps even more so) doesn't change that. Some of it, though, comes down to your video card, assuming that you have a dedicated one. Dedicated video cards have a certain percentage of their on-board RAM (which is completely separate from your system RAM, which is plugged into your machine's motherboard) dedicated to rendering textures. By default, the game is set to use a portion of (not all of) that texture memory. So when you fill up that portion (plus factoring in the game's issues with processing texture memory), you are out of texture memory and, in TS2, that translates as pink flashing. Or sometimes as "Out of Video Memory" errors. Or sometimes just crashing. Or sometimes all of the above.

So, you have a hard limit as to how many MB/GB of textures you can cram into your neighborhood without freaking out your video card. If you're playing with integrated-on-the-motherboard graphics, you're going to hit that ceiling pretty hard and spectacularly fast, since integrated chips by definition use a share of the system memory to do its work, and I'm going to guess that they don't dedicate a lot of that share to texture memory. Sure, newer integrated chips can run the game OK, especially with no CC...but they're still not meant for gaming, and TS2 with all EPs/SPs + a crap-ton of high-poly/high-res CC can be just as resource-consumptive as some of the latest games. If you want to play a fancy full-of-pretty-CC game, get you a dedicated video card, if you're playing on a desktop and don't have one. Fiddling around with the Graphics Rules Maker isn't going to get you much when running the game on integrated graphics. But even with a dedicated card...Well, given TS2's texture processing issues, heavily-decorated neighborhoods that have, say, lovely terrain defaults and pretty custom skies and really nice-looking, lit-up-at-night neighborhood deco buildings that aren't blurry in close-up and water mods so that the neighborhood water doesn't look crappy and with lots full of snazzy CC with high-res (meaning, large-size) texture images and Sims wearing nice-looking custom skins and hair (both high-res) and non-blurry clothing and that you play on all highest settings...are going to hit that limit pretty quickly, too, even if you have a decent video card. IF you have your Graphics Rules set to force the game to use all of your video card's texture memory and you still get pink flashing, there's nothing you can do about it but exit the game (if it doesn't crash on you, anyway ), reload it, and scale back. Or, you can live with it and know that you'll only be able to play for a little while before the pink returns and you have to exit/reload again.

So, what you want to do is force the game, via the Graphics Rules Maker, to use all of your video card's texture memory instead of just some of it. Assuming that you don't do any other graphics-intensive things while playing (Like, say, messing around in Photoshop), this will give you the maximum "space" possible for fancy high-res stuff in your game before you smash into the ceiling and explode in pink. How much space you'll have depends on your video card and how much RAM it has and how much of that RAM is dedicated to texture memory. Like I said, if you want a "fancy" game and you don't have one and you're playing on a desktop where installing one is easy, get a dedicated video card -- a mid-level one that you install yourself or have a knowledgeable geek friend install won't set you back much -- because otherwise doing this is going to be pretty useless. But, if you're good to go on that end...I talked about how to do this forcing in the Graphics Rules Maker on another thread here.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 11:06 AM
Here's a video by SnapshotOfASoul with some solutions to try if you experience pink flashing in your game. Maybe something here will help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLkmxAg7r3Y
Mad Poster
#10 Old 29th Jun 2018 at 1:16 PM Last edited by gazania : 2nd Jul 2018 at 3:13 PM.
In my case, I cannot make the 4 GB patch work without sacrificing most of Happy Holidays. Apparently, I'm the only one with this problem! Lucky me. I prefer to keep my HH. But the stuff I've tried below seems to help with the pink flashies. I see a whole, whole lot less of them now (mostly when I try playing for too long, or someone has a background program running that I did not realize). Just my experience, using bits and pieces of the Leefish tutorial and the SnapshotofaSoul video. Warning: this is a dummy tutorial. I don't do the technical stuff!

1. Regularly delete large thumbnail files. I go through the thumbnails at least once or twice a week. I tried deleting the entire folder, and the game did regenerate one, but the files turned out to be much, much larger ... as in 97,000 files as opposed to 20,000! My game must be very temperamental. I go on a file by file basis instead. And while this might not affect the flashies, I make sure my Group.cache is set at 0, and my Accessory.cache is really low (there are mods for that, also mentioned on Leefish).

2. As per the video, there are some graphics performance settings you can tone down a little with little impact on your game. I don't miss them in my game unless I'm taking pictures. When I'm done, the usual settings go back in. Graphics Rules Maker is erratic for me. Sometimes, it works and sometimes, it doesn't. But I do check from time to time. Right now, my force texture memory is just a shade below the device info memory, but I cannot fix that. I tried a number of times. I live with it. (4064 v. 4095).

3. I have some favorite high-poly things I keep in the game, but try not to overload on them.

4. I quit out of the game every hour, give it a break, and restart it. Better for my eyes, anyway! Do a quick check of the Thumbnails folder if I've been doing a lot of building or remodeling.

5. I find that sometimes, other programs running can really stress out the game. Turn off the ones you don't need.

Those might be the basic places where to start. From there, if things still don't work right, you might have to go to more-extreme measures.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 10:15 PM
Deleting the thumbnail folder does help. It is all I did. It is not something that I have seen too often, but I do use the 4GB patch.

I agree about turning off background programs, as well as to disable some programs from opening during the startup of the pc.

The memory allocation (I did do that, because I thought it was a good idea, not because of pink flashing or have crashing issues) - it does seem that my game runs faster. I am not completely sure because I have also removed a ton of cc So it could be due to either, or it could be due to both.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 10:45 PM
I have only once had pink flashing and that was part of my issues with my new computer and bad Radeon card. I did delete the thumbnail folder-that was the first time ever doing that and I have played this game since it came out over 3-4 computers. My folder was huge but never gave any issues before. So for issues its worth trying but I would not do it as a 'just in case' or be scared of a large thumbnail folder. It's not the same as cache files that can quickly stop the game from loading.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~