Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 11:46 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Seasons
Default "No snow on ground" option reverting
I just installed seasons, and whenever I try to change the No Snow on Ground option to yes, it reverts back to no. No other options do this that I know of. I found someone else with the exact same problem, but a solution was never found. For reference:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=308504

System Specs:
Processor:Intel Core i7 CPU 2.67 GHz
3g RAM
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700, RAM 2290
I don't know how to find the rest of the info on the graphics card, I'm sorry

These are the sims 2 games I have: Sims 2 Double Deluxe, Sims 2 University Life, and Sims 2 Seasons

Snow is still functional even if I can't see it, but snow is my favorite part of winter so I'm a little disappointed. Also this is my first post, if I'm doing something wrong please tell me!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 12:15 AM
When the game simply will not allow certain graphics-intensive options, it's usually a specs issue. In your case, I think your video card is okay (Google can usually give you a rough idea on these things), but 3GB of RAM is a bit low on a Windows 7 machine. That may be what's holding things back.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 12:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
When the game simply will not allow certain graphics-intensive options, it's usually a specs issue. In your case, I think your video card is okay (Google can usually give you a rough idea on these things), but 3GB of RAM is a bit low on a Windows 7 machine. That may be what's holding things back.

Thank you for replying! I'll try getting more RAM, it's always good to have anyways.
Is there anything else I can try? I won't be able to get the RAM for a little while and if there's anything I could try right now I'd like to.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 1:21 AM
Well, in general, game performance can be improved by making sure unnecessary background tasks (especially browsers) are not running when you play. Some have anti-virus protection that interferes with the game, so they disable it while they're playing. I don't know that I recommend doing this, but it's a thought.

I don't know if this will help, but you could also play with some of the other graphics options. Take some of them down a notch, and perhaps that will free up enough resources to make snow possible. Turning off shadows, reflections, and viewable neighbors would be particularly helpful.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 2:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
Well, in general, game performance can be improved by making sure unnecessary background tasks (especially browsers) are not running when you play. Some have anti-virus protection that interferes with the game, so they disable it while they're playing. I don't know that I recommend doing this, but it's a thought.

I don't know if this will help, but you could also play with some of the other graphics options. Take some of them down a notch, and perhaps that will free up enough resources to make snow possible. Turning off shadows, reflections, and viewable neighbors would be particularly helpful.

Thanks once again for replying!
Shadows were already greyed out, and turning down options all the way didn't have an effect on the snow option. The shadows are confusing, because I'm almost positive they didn't used to be greyed out. I'll see if getting more RAM changes anything!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 3:55 AM
I do hope that will do the trick. Good luck!
Field Researcher
#7 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 4:18 AM
Have you messed with "Graphics Rules.sgr"? Like say to adjust the display for a widescreen monitor? There was another thread a few months ago that I can't find now where someone had a similar problem. It turned out he was using a Graphics Rules file he downloaded without regard to the fact it was a pre-Seasons file so didn't have all the new graphics settings like snow.

On my site I have dozens more Sims 2 mods. These mods come with no support so use them at your own risk.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cyjon
Have you messed with "Graphics Rules.sgr"? Like say to adjust the display for a widescreen monitor? There was another thread a few months ago that I can't find now where someone had a similar problem. It turned out he was using a Graphics Rules file he downloaded without regard to the fact it was a pre-Seasons file so didn't have all the new graphics settings like snow.

Apologies for late reply. No I haven't messed with that at all, that I know of
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 7:18 AM
Quick update, I did install more RAM. Now have 11g. Didn't change the snow problem, so it's not that.
However it did occur to me that I don't think I've ever patched the game, which might be causing some problems. I'll try patching and see if that fixes anything
Test Subject
#10 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cyjon

IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE THE THREAD FROM 6 MONTHS AGO IS, here it is in case you've ran into the issue several years ahead:

http://modthesims.info/t/455819
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 30th Jun 2018 at 10:55 PM
@Evaktos Can you please stop bumping old threads.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~