Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 6:44 PM
Default Ball Jointed Dolls (ABJD)
Ahh, BJDs. The crazy, resin created little critters that slowly take over your life and bank account. They are completely customizable (Eyes are easily interchangeable and hair comes off and can be changed even more easily. Makeup ((or faceups) are done with acrylics and most shopping services offer to do it for you))), and come in many varying sizes, from SD sized (Usually larger than 50cm and height goes up from there), MSD (In the 40cm range) and Tinies (Everything under!) and even things like Model Dolls (70cms and up!) have been popping up! I noticed through a post on the "What Did You Find Out Today?" board that a lot of people here are interested in them! Soo. Discuss your thoughts (Positive and negitive, I know some people think they are creepy. ) and maybe talk about your own resin kiddies?

We had a thread like this before but I think it got deleted when the forum was cleaned out.

And I'll warn you now, there's some doll nudies on there. These guys are...anatomically correct...so...there may be a...resin weiner somewhere. xDDDD

Good BJD Sites to Know about!

Den of Angels (An awesome forum)

Volks (The Ones that started it all!)

Luts (Some consider their dolls the best)

FairyLand

Dollfair (Home of the GORGEOUS Narin Dolls)

Soom (Home of some of my personal favorites and the coolest eyes around)

Domuya (You can buy...parts here. Good if you're just starting out and you want to buy seperates)

Dollmore (Lots of other companies sell here as well!)

Souldoll (They actually have a doll with a heartbeat it in...I'll admit, kinda creepy!)

Tensiya (Where you find Dollshe, the exclusive carrier of Bermanns)

JunkySpot (Carrier of many dolls, a well known and well loved agent!)

Alchemic Lab

Pipos

Limwha

Iplehouse

Dream of Doll

Divinity Doll

LatiDoll

Doll in Mind

Peakswoods

Bobobie

Angel of Dream

DollZone

B & G Dolls

Domadoll

N-Doll

Angelregion

Obitsu

Custom House

Custom House Special Line

ElfDoll

MuseDoll

Fantasy Doll

Bambicrony

Orient Doll

Dolkot

Unidoll

CherishDoll
(If anyone has any more they'd like to add just PM me!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 6:47 PM
I LOOOOOVE them. I want one so badly, but they are super duper expensive. I should start a "get lusty a bjd" foundation to raise money.. ahahah. No, but they're super cute, not scary.
#3 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 6:49 PM
I adore them!!<3
I think they are adorable and cute and not scary at all!I wished i had money for one,but they are so expensive...i am gathering money but so far i only have around 50 dollars! XD
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 6:52 PM
Find one that you really love, and then save for it. You don't want to get one just because it's cheap enough and not really like it. You won't appreciate it as much.

I have an Abio Angel Yi who's on his way (I bought him from another girl who decided he just didn't fit her character). His body is still being made, unfortunatly.
Test Subject
#5 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 6:52 PM
Never heard of them before, they don't seem to be popular here in Germany ... But I must say they look adorable! :D
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 6:56 PM
You'd be suprised! On that forum (the first link) there's people literally from everywhere with them.

I wish Shimmeringcat was on right now, she has a bunch of boys from Volks.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:04 PM
They look like cute sims . But like the porecalin dolls creep me out I always feel like they're going to kill me.
Instructor
#8 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:04 PM
I want one soooooo bad. I wrote it down on my birthday wish list but I already know I'm not getting one based on the price.
Test Subject
#9 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:06 PM
I want them so bad .
I wish they didn't cost so much... Why do they have to cost so much .
Original Poster
#10 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by desimonkey442
I want one soooooo bad. I wrote it down on my birthday wish list but I already know I'm not getting one based on the price.

Have you looked at the Abio Angels at Divinity Doll? They are SD sized and far cheaper than others since they are brand new. I fell in love with my boy who's from there, and I didn't even know the price until after. Made me even more happy!
Instructor
#11 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:09 PM
Catwalk-not yet. But thanks for the advice*scampers off to look*
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:12 PM
Frankly, they're just prettier versions of Barbies in my book. The prices are outrageous! I do think that they look cool, but what's the point? Do you just look at them? Marvel at your collection? At the thousands of dollars you spent on them? I like them, but what's so special about BJDs?

Speaking of which, it could not POSSIBLY cost so much to make them that the retail price could be 700 freaking dollars.

"Well, then at least I'll die next to a hot, nymphomaniac supermodel." And what more could one ask for...? ._.
#13 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:13 PM
I like some. Dont have any. Cant afford any. :3
Field Researcher
#14 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:15 PM
Warning: some content of this message may sound disturbing...

Very expensive hobby. I fell in love with them on the old thread, bought one, got him all together in late April, and am already trying to save for more. Problem is, I keep buying things for my current boy, who is unfortunately strung up around my room at the moment.

They are very addictive! And if you bond with them it can really hurt to be parted. My boy has been in pieces for a couple days for sanding and blushing, and it's driving me nuts to not be able to hold him. Random body parts just don't cuddle right. A friend said it looked like a meat locker around my computer yesterday! Can't wait to get my next boy, he's gonna be modded into a dragon.

I've got a pile of pics of him at http://lakefront.iwarp.com/abjd Tanal is a hybrid, head from one company and body from another.

I also totally adore Shimmeringcat's Wish.

And there's plenty of people on DoA in Germany, though I can't bring up any names off the top of my head, I know there have been several complaining about sealer availability there.

"Segregate the sinful sexes..." "Wait, how many sexes are there?" "Two." "It's not enough I say, go out and order some more."
Original Poster
#15 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:16 PM
Well, firstly, they are all hand cast and created as you order. So the second you place an order, they have to start making it. They are made out of resin, which isn't exactly cheap. Every single one is different, and completely posable (Seriously, it's crazy what some of them can do). They are also from Korea, and not many people can make them and make them well (Especially right now, it's hard to cure the resin in really hot heat). It just the same as spending thousands of dollars on a new tv or something. Do you need it? Not necessarily. But if it makes you happy, who gives two shits.

Not all of them are $700, either. There are just as many that are under the $300 mark that are just as nice.

thothep - I've always loved your boy! I remember when you got him too!
Instructor
#16 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:23 PM
WOOT! I just talked to my dad about them and after making fun of me and him seeing some and screaming "I see dead people" he said maybe to getting me one and he went seaching for cheap deals
#17 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by desimonkey442
WOOT! I just talked to my dad about them and after making fun of me and him seeing some and screaming "I see dead people" he said maybe to getting me one and he went seaching for cheap deals

Lucky!!!!:D
I will probably only get one at Christmas,if i do!!
Field Researcher
#18 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:32 PM
If you bond with your doll he/she will be worth every penny. There are so many ways that having Tanal has improved my life it's incredible, from the new friends I've met through the hobby, the new inspiration to create art (which had always centered me, but fell by the wayside due to injuries/surgeries), and I'm even sleeping better since I got him, I actually feel I have to go to bed once I tuck him up for the night, and if I don't go to bed in decent time he glares at me and goes floppy.

I'm saving for a Dollshe boy ($600), a Narin ($450), and a MNF ($350). If I didn't have definite choices for who I wanted next I would probably get a Bobobie, as they do look nice and are much, much cheaper. Tinies are under $100! The SD size is under $200. I don't like their 60cm head sculpts, but the bodies are nice, and probably great for making hybrids.

Thanks, Catwalk. He'll be looking even better soon, picking up some sealer today after work...

"Segregate the sinful sexes..." "Wait, how many sexes are there?" "Two." "It's not enough I say, go out and order some more."
#19 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by danishani2
They look like cute sims . But like the porecalin dolls creep me out I always feel like they're going to kill me.

Me too! Ever since I've seen that movie "Dolls" when I was 8 yrs old, I haven't own a single one since.

These dolls do look slightly creepy, yet cute at the same time. They do kinda remind you of a sim. I've never heard of them though. What country are they popular in? I'm from the U.S.
#20 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:33 PM
I have one of the Volks Neo EB heads sitting on my desk right now that I originally intended to turn into Silas, but I never got around to it and now he sits there and stares blankly at me. I really should get his body, but I have no way of getting it without having to tell my parents I'm spending 40 dollars on a doll body. I'd prefer to start my collection without lectures on wasting money.

Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:35 PM
Quote:
Well, firstly, they are all hand cast and created as you order. So the second you place an order, they have to start making it. They are made out of resin, which isn't exactly cheap. Every single one is different, and completely posable (Seriously, it's crazy what some of them can do). They are also from Korea, and not many people can make them and make them well (Especially right now, it's hard to cure the resin in really hot heat). It just the same as spending thousands of dollars on a new tv or something. Do you need it? Not necessarily. But if it makes you happy, who gives two shits.

Not all of them are $700, either. There are just as many that are under the $300 mark that are just as nice.

Isn't the faceup the only part that's custom? Isn't the body already planned out? I don't know much about the dolls, so sorry if I'm wrong.
Although I understand the priciness more now, I still think it's ridiculous. And as for making them, have we tried China? xD Hey, they can make anything. (<---Erm...that was a joke). I still don't see how resin could be that expensive, or how the fact that the dolls are posable could up the price. (Hey, go get one of those mini wooden mannequins used for drawing; they only cost a couple of bucks and they pose almost as well.)
I guess the reason I can't see a similarity between TVs and BJDs is because, unlike BJDs, I could find a use for my TV. And I only need one. But that's just me, and as I said, I don't know much about any of that.

And $300? Geez, that's STILL really expensive! Not quite so bad as $700, though, I guess.

"Well, then at least I'll die next to a hot, nymphomaniac supermodel." And what more could one ask for...? ._.
Original Poster
#22 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:35 PM
This is my guy, Deej. I did not take this picture. It was taken by his first owner. ^^ It's photoshopped to the max because she had him with red hair and blue eyes, and Deej has black hair and green eyes (I decided. ) So that's why it looks kinda weird. But since he's not here yet, I figured this would have to do.

Instructor
#23 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:37 PM
He looks so freaking awesome in that pic catwalk!
#24 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:37 PM
He's gorgeous Catwalk!!<3
How much did it cost??
Original Poster
#25 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by evlevnz92
Isn't the faceup the only part that's custom? Isn't the body already planned out? I don't know much about the dolls, so sorry if I'm wrong.
Although I understand the priciness more now, I still think it's ridiculous. And as for making them, have we tried China? xD Hey, they can make anything. (<---Erm...that was a joke). I still don't see how resin could be that expensive, or how the fact that the dolls are posable could up the price. (Hey, go get one of those mini wooden mannequins used for drawing; they only cost a couple of bucks and they pose almost as well.)
I guess the reason I can't see a similarity between TVs and BJDs is because, unlike BJDs, I could find a use for my TV. And I only need one. But that's just me, and as I said, I don't know much about any of that.

And $300? Geez, that's STILL really expensive! Not quite so bad as $700, though, I guess.

Not necesarily. You pick the skintone as well (usually. Some places won't let you choose because darker resin is a pain to cast.) I think there actually are some new companies in China. It's all in how you look like it really. When I ordered Deej I was going through a really rough time (My friend had just committed suicide after he went missing for a month, and a week later his best friend was killed in a car accident) so I was incredibly depressed. But, I dunno, they made me happy. And if something makes me happy, I don't really care how much it is. I needed something to get me through it, and if it was a $500 doll, so be it. But they are horribly addictive.

Thank you guys for the kind comments on Deej! Well, I bought his head first from a friend (like I said, she wanted a different doll for the character she had in her mind) and it was about $185 because the faceup was done by her sister, who is a really well respected and talented artist in the community. Then I decided to do a split with another friend for his body, she get's his head, I get his body, so I only paid $200 for his body. Plus some shipping, it came to about $400, which is a bit more than a normal Abio Angel, but he's absolutely perfect in my mind, so I don't care. xD He's SD sized so he comes up to a little higher than my knee!
Page 1 of 45