Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#1851 Old 25th Feb 2014 at 10:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lbsgirl24
That sounds like a really interesting idea. Out of curiosity are they still marriage candidates or are you considering them removed from the gene pool?

I haven't firmly decided, but my idea is that they will be able to marry if they "escape"/I need them for balance/they're the only sim another age-appropriate Sim that I want to see married is attracted to, otherwise they remain as captives/slaves at the Whitman house until they eventually die out. Right now there are two boys and two girls on that lot so for now they're even. I just have to see how the other families work out. It's also possible that not all of the captives will survive the harsher conditions and make it to adulthood.

Aw, I hate when Sims die in my favorite families. The patriarch of my head family tried to die on me last night, lol. He wouldn't stop heat stroking and before anyone could get to him to douse him, he would wake up, and then after like 3 of them he died. But his wife saved him by begging the grim reaper, so... aside from their one kidnapped child (and his dead ex-wife), they're doing okay.

The Test of Time Challenge BLOG
Sims 4 stories blog HERE
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#1852 Old 27th Feb 2014 at 1:05 AM
Well, then, it's official. I am 11 houses away from the Roman Era. One rotation. I'm a bit excited about that. :D
Instructor
#1853 Old 27th Feb 2014 at 1:13 AM
I'm in a similar boat I'm on the last round and have played 4/9 households so excited.

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Lab Assistant
#1854 Old 28th Feb 2014 at 10:54 PM
I'm finally starting the 2nd generation of my neanderthals! My first family has become elders and the eldest daughter is an adult now

Sims 4 stories blog HERE
Field Researcher
#1855 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 12:58 PM
I'm not advancing very fast in my challenge at the moment, because I'm in my final year at school, started baking lately and went on ski holiday. But this weekend I have some spare time and I already started updating my blog and played the 2 first days of my 10th round yesterday. ^_^ If Kane, my eldest gen 3 sim, isn't going to bite the dust in the next two rounds, I can start the roman era from round 12 on. That means about 20 more houses to play. But it took me quite some time to get here, considering I played the first household in february 2013.

@samd440 I really like your idea for the 'kidnapped' children and may do something similar as I have still 3 Onsen children floating around that were kidnapped in the fourth (?) round. And about those favourite families: It's always them who suffer the worst fate. :p

Oh, and I started building a temple for my (future) roman simmies:

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1856 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 1:04 PM
So how do you all lose children to the SW? I don't have fights, deaths or child loses. When they get hot I just bring them inside, or aren't we supposed be controlling them?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#1857 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 1:40 PM
Since I started this challenge, my gameplay actually has changed a lot. I used to micromanage my sims all the time, but now I like controlling them as less as possible, because then the game is more unpredictable and therefore more fun for me. It gets an own dynamic and there are for example a lot of interactions you are rather improbable to see or notice otherwise. But in the end it's all about your own preference. If you prefer to control your sims, control them.

But I would recommend you trying ou to play without controlling your sims at least once. Have you ever tried to make for example a household with a huge number of sims (if possible around 20), move them in a big (but basic) house and then just let them do their thing? Especially with ACR it's really funny to observe... and sometimes a little bizarre. XD

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Instructor
#1858 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 3:52 AM
This challenge really changed my playstyle as well. I stopped having to control sims all the time and stopped needing to have all their needs green and their mood plat/gold. If my sims are going to be stupid I let them kill each other off. I stopped looking at the wants of toddlers and since I don't teach them any skills or give them skill building toys they grow up badly and attack a sibling. I don't intefere with slap matches I let them progress because seeing what the sims do is half the fun of the challenge. I play with the milder version of realistic sickness and don't try to heal my sims (exception is they're allowed a grandma's comfort soup at the start and end of each round to protect them from other families and other families from them) so many sims die this way. My teens run around on free will most of the time so a lot of them die as well.

@Thefluingraccoon I love that temple It's very pretty.

I've finished building my roiman homes in case anyone's interested have some pictures.

I've started playing this round and in between houses I'll make the rest of the lots I need.

Field Researcher
#1859 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 3:58 AM
Default Realistic Sickness is making its mark
This is 1/3 of a round & all that I noted was one marriage, one birth, & 24 deaths (6 fire, 1 fight, 17 flu)

The 1st third (upper & middle class families) had 2 marriages, 4 births, & 9 deaths (2 fight, 7 flu)

The last third will be the 2nd half of the slave families. I expect to lose a similar amount since they don't have access to medicine.

Rounds are also going faster since household are being decimated.

The fire, illness, and unhappiness in the Etruscilla household left 1 child out of 6 standing. Mom & dad died too.

The Joque & Atilla families have only their youngest living (only because babies & toddlers can't get sick): Armand Joque & Athamas Atilla.

Next round we may be able to get some medicine to the slaves because they keep infecting the wealthy . Don't say your Emperor doesn't think of the little guys
Screenshots

Check out my Apocalypse Challenge attempt @ ditzyekko.blogspot.com
Instructor
#1860 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 4:12 AM
Wow that's a lot of dead sims. I've just been allowing everyone to eat soup at the end of a round because it prevents them from infecting other families and in rl it's not like a kid will be sick with the flu for it's whole childhood.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1861 Old 2nd Mar 2014 at 5:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TheFlyingRaccoon
Since I started this challenge, my gameplay actually has changed a lot. I used to micromanage my sims all the time, but now I like controlling them as less as possible, because then the game is more unpredictable and therefore more fun for me. It gets an own dynamic and there are for example a lot of interactions you are rather improbable to see or notice otherwise. But in the end it's all about your own preference. If you prefer to control your sims, control them.

But I would recommend you trying ou to play without controlling your sims at least once. Have you ever tried to make for example a household with a huge number of sims (if possible around 20), move them in a big (but basic) house and then just let them do their thing? Especially with ACR it's really funny to observe... and sometimes a little bizarre. XD

I've played the asylum challenge a few times, but I usually play to sims wants, so even my toddlers have their skills. The only sims I play mostly hands off are in my self sufficient hood and only those of low motivation. (done by adding neatness, activity and - playfulness) I have 8 days to train toddlers due to a double age mod so even though there is no smart milk they still get taught and grow up platinum. I'm using counting stones and rhythm sticks for toys. I think I'd want to chuck it in if I had kids taken by the SW, I haven't had that since the first 6 months I started playing, right after the game came out. Temperature is something I keep an eagle eye on. Adults can pass out though lol.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#1862 Old 3rd Mar 2014 at 3:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lbsgirl24
Wow that's a lot of dead sims. I've just been allowing everyone to eat soup at the end of a round because it prevents them from infecting other families and in rl it's not like a kid will be sick with the flu for it's whole childhood.

That requires a family Sim. Maybe there could be a bright side to having family aspiration for my little simmies.

I will start doing that. Thanks

Check out my Apocalypse Challenge attempt @ ditzyekko.blogspot.com
Lab Assistant
#1863 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 3:09 AM Last edited by samd440 : 4th Mar 2014 at 3:23 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
So how do you all lose children to the SW? I don't have fights, deaths or child loses. When they get hot I just bring them inside, or aren't we supposed be controlling them?

I lose almost all of the children that get taken to heat, because I don't realize they're outside fishing behind the house where I can't see them, and as soon as the pop-up that tells me my Sim kid is overheated pops up, I try to hurry them back inside the house, but literally before they can even get in the door the social worker is there. It says I better cool them down quick, but doesn't give me enough time.
Or if I'm busy with my adult sims outside gardening and my Sim kids start jumping on the bed, they get overheated and here comes the social worker. I also try to micromanage much less than I typically do for the sake of the time period--Neanderkids would have had to be tougher, more independent at a younger age so I let them do more for themselves.

As for fights, I've only had 2. One was a kid who grew up badly and was mad at the world, and the other was my first Gen 2-er who turned into an adult. At her birthday party, she randomly attacked her neighbor who came to her party. The fight lasted like one second, and it totally took me by surprise, but I think I might know why it happened. I recently downloaded a beer keg and I hadn't tried it out yet, so instead of the fruit punch thing at her birthday party, I placed the beer keg to try it out, and in the description it did say something to the effect of letting sims have beer kegs at parties and them "doing things they wouldn't normally do" but I just figured they were saying that as part of game play, like, you can have beer at a party and in your storytelling, say the beer made them do things they wouldn't do, but now I'm thinking it ACTUALLY triggers them to do something like start a fight, lol. There's no other reason I can think of that Gerta would have done that, she didn't dislike the woman she attacked and there was no provocation, so...

But I actually don't think it's a terrible idea, especially as the generations progress and my families get large. Maybe I'll make it tradition that when the oldest child becomes an adult, I throw a birthday party and have a beer keg, and if any fights break out, then that's that. Thin the population a bit.

@TheFlyingRaccoon: I LOVE that temple!!!!!!!!!!! I'm super jealous, lol
Screenshots

Sims 4 stories blog HERE
Lab Assistant
#1864 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 8:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by samd440
I lose almost all of the children that get taken to heat, because I don't realize they're outside fishing behind the house where I can't see them, and as soon as the pop-up that tells me my Sim kid is overheated pops up, I try to hurry them back inside the house, but literally before they can even get in the door the social worker is there. It says I better cool them down quick, but doesn't give me enough time.

This almost sounds like the unpatched version of seasons sowo. I think they fixed it in a patch, or that someone has a fix somewhere. Generally I have time to get them at least a glass of water or two. But you got to be careful because if you're running on speed 2 or 3 and have a slow reaction time (like me), you can get two or three warnings before you get a chance to react.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1865 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 9:30 AM
I tend to switch from sim to sim pretty much constantly to check on their temps and only play on speed one or two. I tend to take the kids inside as soon as their bar goes to red, it should go up again before you get a pop up. Are you patched? If you had just one pop up you should have time to get them inside and get a drink. I know in another challenge which is a large household of 14 I did get the heat pop up over a child and I took him inside and gave him 2 glasses of water.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#1866 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 11:42 AM
I did not get the patch, no. When I initially got seasons, I played it on a computer with no internet connection, and by the time I installed the game on this laptop, the Sims 2 site was LOOOONNNGGG gone.
I don't mind it for this challenge though, because life is supposed to be harder on my sims, they aren't all supposed to survive. It isn't like a normal neighborhood, I actually want things to go wrong sometimes.
My one house that I just played has big problems with heat, they must be having a heat wave because the majority of the time I played, someone was having a heat stroke, even just from sleeping under blankets in bed. My kidnapper sim tried to die of heat stroke! A teen sim did die of heat stroke, and no one saved him because he was kind of a jerk and smacked the girl who lived there around for no apparent reason other than he grew up badly, so... we won't miss him too much.

Sims 4 stories blog HERE
Scholar
#1867 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 12:39 PM Last edited by ieta_cassiopeia : 4th Mar 2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Noticed post had linked to the patches for me.
samd440, the patches are available from MTS (by following the link in "patches" in this post). So you can still have a patched game even without the Sims 2 site working.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1868 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 12:43 PM
No, you need the patches, some fix critical game glitches. The Season Patch is one of the essentials as it fixes the Ottomas and Critter pregnancies. They are broken and will effect any hood they are in. Without the patches your hoods will go up in smoke long before they should.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#1869 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 2:02 PM
Do you still need the patches for seasons if you have all of the other expansion packs? Because the last expansion pack is apartmentlife, so if you have that one, don't you only need the patch for apartmentlife?

My Test of Time Challenge: lifesachallenge.weebly.com
Inventor
#1870 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by floor1304
Do you still need the patches for seasons if you have all of the other expansion packs? Because the last expansion pack is apartmentlife, so if you have that one, don't you only need the patch for apartmentlife?
No, you need the patch for each and every ep you have. the patches only fix that one ep, not any of the others. ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Lab Assistant
#1871 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 8:23 PM
Okay thanks! I might have to download some then, I don't remember installing any of them...

My Test of Time Challenge: lifesachallenge.weebly.com
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1872 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 9:21 PM
There is a patch for each and every EP and SP, and you need them all. The easy way is download them to your desktop and store them in a folder, that way you won't have to download them again as it's the downloading of them that takes quite some time.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#1873 Old 5th Mar 2014 at 5:22 AM
No, you need the patches, some fix critical game glitches. The Season Patch is one of the essentials as it fixes the Ottomas and Critter pregnancies. They are broken and will effect any hood they are in. Without the patches your hoods will go up in smoke long before they should.

Oh I didn't know that!
Isn't there something you can also download To see if you have conflicting mods? My house that I'm in right now is glitching REALLY badly, the characters can't even walk across the floor without glitching and I've never seen that before. But it does not seem healthy :/

Sims 4 stories blog HERE
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1874 Old 5th Mar 2014 at 6:53 AM
If you have been playing unpatched for awhile it could be hood corruption. You can download and run Mootilda's Hood Checker which can check the state of your hood and fix some things. Do you have Boiling Oil's No Sim Loaded? That burns tokens and fixes some things with the sims on loading the lot. I use that, the Bat Box and the Hood Checker to help my hoods/lots last longer. I always burn rubbish memories, gossip, fix stuck fishing spots with the Bat Box.
If you think it's conflicting mods you can try Simwardrobe's Hack Conflict Detection Utility. http://www.simwardrobe.com/ Under Sims 2 programs. I don't know if it's because i have too much cc, but it will never run for me anymore. I see others not having issues with it though. Sometimes hacks play up simply from loading order and chnging when they load by adding some zzz to the file name can fix the issue if that is the issue. Make sure you have the critical MATY fixes of no corrupt death and no unlink on delete.

Make sure you are also not doing any of the known VBT (very Bad Things)
-Moving an occupied house (sim and or graves) into the bin
-Moving sims between hoods
-Deleting sims from the bin or deleting graves/urns
-Removing any cc using the remote control car which makes an NPC file. For example Rebekas animals. If it moves it's suspect.
-Never make a universal character selectable-that one can fry your game not just your hood (Crumplebutt, grim, SW)

I'm sure there are more, but those are the main things.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#1875 Old 5th Mar 2014 at 9:03 AM
If you have been playing unpatched for awhile it could be hood corruption. You can download and run Mootilda's Hood Checker which can check the state of your hood and fix some things. Do you have Boiling Oil's No Sim Loaded? That burns tokens and fixes some things with the sims on loading the lot. I use that, the Bat Box and the Hood Checker...

I'm sure there are more, but those are the main things.

I downloaded the hood checker but wasn't 100% sure how to install (plus I had to back up my game first) do I just put that in my downloads folder?

I've been unpatched this session of playing for a year but I never placed the Ottomas household.
I have (once, just earlier tonight) made the newspaper woman selectable so she could take a picture... :/ I've never made any other NPC selectable though.

I do not have the boiling oil mod.

Ugh I didn't know any if that. Other than my first TOT good that disappeared, I've never had an issue with my hoods, so I was very surprised to learn about this lol! Thank you so much for all the help! :D

Sims 4 stories blog HERE
Page 75 of 128