Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#51 Old 13th Jul 2014 at 9:10 PM
Wait, Windows 8 can run games? I thought it was for people who wanted to turn their expensive computers into iPads but with a shittier app store.
Advertisement
Theorist
#52 Old 13th Jul 2014 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
For the sake of argument, what if:

EA is trying to end the series, by making it so terrible that nobody will buy it?

And this source, more current:

http://www.tsmplug.com/games/most-s...mes-franchises/

EA would possibly rather concentrate on those than make another Sims game, and it shows. So in all reality, the Sims series doesn't capture their interest the way we think it does.

Although it would make a tiny dent in their sales figures, dropping the franchise completely would undoubtedly free up all of the money and resources for those more successful games, and would enable EA to move onto more lucrative ventures, like mobile apps and games.

Give them an excuse to cut the series, and I think they'd do it. Not that I am saying we should not buy the game, but let's be realistic- we're a very small chunk of their money pie.

Your interpretation of that source hurts my soul, and I'll never forgive you. Never, never, never. Actually, I'm not convinced that The Sims is a "tiny dent." However, a piece of the pie still makes the whole pie bigger. Isn't the whole point of owning many developers is so that EA can move on up to the East side to a deluxe mega-corporation in the sky? Get rid of The Sims and other games have to pick up the slack and fill the void just to break even.

Also, according to this source...:
http://honeywellsims4news.tumblr.co...s-what-happened

...EA loves to piss off its fans because they "equate outrage with sales."
Quote:
EA’s Response [ to pissed of fans ]

Nothing. Rich Hilleman decided long ago that people lie and those who complain the loudest are EA’s biggest customers. EA equates outrage and customer complaints with sales so there’s no incentive for them to spend the money needed to put out a finished product. They’re betting we’ll buy it anyway.

There's also more stuff in that link about why they cut features and also how TS4 may have only been in development since late 2013 because the online version of TS4 was a management disaster. So they did pour money into TS4, I'll give you that.
One Minute Ninja'd
#53 Old 14th Jul 2014 at 1:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranH For the sake of argument, what if: EA is trying to end the series, by making it so terrible that nobody will buy it?

And this source, more current: http://www.tsmplug.com/games/most-s...mes-franchises/

That source specifically refers only to EA's Sports franchises, not all best selling franchises in all genres. And The Sims franchise is more than a little dent in balance sheet if it were lost completely. It's the old "a billion here, and a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money". When TS3 was released back in 2009, it was one of EA's blockbusters, with 3.4 million units sold when it first came out. More units than any other game in the same period.

Here's a fun quote from 2010:
Quote:
The EA Play Label of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) announces the celebration of the ten year anniversary of The Sims™, the groundbreaking game that allowed players to create and live a virtual, simulated life on a computer. Since the original The Sims debut on February 4, 2000, the unstoppable, award-winning franchise has produced three core games – The Sims, The Sims 2, and The Sims 3 – supported by dozens of expansion and stuff packs with lifetime unit sales eclipsing 125 million worldwide. As the best-selling PC game* in nearly every major video game market worldwide, The Sims has continuously reset the bar over the past decade delivering new content, gameplay elements, platform support, and partnerships that resonate with its global fan base in meaningful ways and take the play experience to new levels of fun and entertainment.

source http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...-Sims-Turns-Ten to celebrate the franchise turning 10 that year.

125 million units sold over 10 years. "The best selling PC game in nearly every video game market worldwide". That doesn't sound like a franchise you would deliberately choose to kill off now, does it?
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 8:32 PM
Despite typically shitting all over boycott topics, I actually see why this is happening. EA are shafting a lot of fans with TS4.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Euan
It's not blind optimism though, is it? People bashed The Sims 3 and claimed boycotts... yet they ended up buying the game.

I just don't see why you're constantly posting hate about EA all the time and slagging off people who are actually going to buy the game/and/or think it will be good.

To be fair, was TS3 base game really that great either? Yeah, I mean, it had tons of cool features, CASt, the open world... actually, thats kind of it for me, but I'm sure other people liked more about the base game. Anyways, even after people accepted defeat and bought it, they still had to fight with a game that was ridden with bugs, scripting issues, memory issues, and overall bad programming and optimization. And EA did nothing to fix most of the performance issues, and even some of the simple bugs like sims getting stuck in interactions. They didn't even try.

I still know people who to this day have not and will not play The Sims 3. They didn't like the idea of the rabbit holes, and they didn't like the look of the sims at all. I still personally have issues getting past the dead eyes that the sims in TS3 have.

This is the same story, but this time it really seems that a lot more people are genuinely upset over what has been taken out and the fact that they're trying to sell emotions as if they're some sort of big new thing that was never in a Sims game before. EA have messed up A LOT lately when you think about it. The massive issues that The Sims 3 had at launch, and the fact that some of those problems from a game thats several years old now are still there rearing their ugly heads. Then there's the SimCity 2013 fiasco. They took out the always online requirement and that game still sucks compared to even SimCity 4 if you ask me (I'm a SC2000 guy). You can't even build up huge cities and keep them for too long, everything goes to hell no matter what you do.

In my opinion, people have some pretty damn good reasons to be pissed. They know the companies past, they know what they like to do to nickle and dime customers, and they know how lackluster a lot of their efforts in recent years have been. The fact that EA are removing features that are arguably essential to gameplay (toddlers) is gonna make people pretty angry. I'm one of them.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 8:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Megido
Wait, Windows 8 can run games? I thought it was for people who wanted to turn their expensive computers into iPads but with a shittier app store.

You deserve a drink for this post
Theorist
#57 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 9:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Xiove
Except it'll be more and more difficult as times goes by, technically speaking. It won't be possible on newer computers w/o having to go through lots of hoops.

The same could be about TS4.

When EA decides to pull the plug on TS4 (whenever that that may be) there is no guarantee that there will not be issues with activation codes later on. it goes along with the chatter with the gaming industry in general that have been arguing about games being sold in resale shops or places that take used games like Game Stop. There is one side that says that this should not be allowed, while the other says that this would be a huge hit to the industry in general.

It's a slippery slope.
Page 3 of 3