Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jul 2014 at 9:52 PM
Default Can a Female SIms be a "Bro"? How does that work?
Okay, so the German Fansite Sim Times was among those who got a Beta Version of CAS and listed all the available character traits here: http://www.simtimes.de/sims4/spielinfos/

Apparently the Bro trait amounts to: They can give other SIms a "Bro Hug", gain confidence from the presence of other Bros (snicker ) and like to watch Sports.
Now two things confuse me:

1) That they didn't translate Bro as "Kumpel" in German, which, as far as I remember, would be the closest equivalent.
2) Is this character trait open for female SIms? I mean I'm not saying that girls or women can't behave that way, but shouldn't it be called differently? Ladette perhaps?

....so says the Phoenix! ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 12:46 AM
I don't think there's a female equivalent to a "bro" in real life. Maybe in Ts4 there will be? I've just never, ever seen it.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 12:51 AM
Sis?

10char
Forum Resident
#4 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 12:57 AM
*shrug*

"Bro", as in the stereotype/culture/whatever seems pretty male exclusive irl, but any girls I know who felt that they fit into it didn't mind being referred to as "bro".
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 12:59 AM
How do you get female from bro? Are you thinking brothel? Cause I am!

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 1:13 AM
Well "bro" is an acronym for "brother" and brother typically refers to a male whom is related in either family or social norm. So no, a female would not be a "bro" but rather the female counterpart "sis" or "sister".

However, this would only apply by the standards of social normality and gender identity. If for say a woman identifies themselves as a male, then "bro" could be appropriate terminology.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
#7 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 1:20 AM
I think I read somewhere that it's open for both genders, and that it would be called bro for female sims as well.
IMHO they should've changed it to sis. Female fans of MLP already call themselves pegasisters, so it's not completely out of left field.
But in the end it doesn't really matter. If I ever get this monstrosity of a game, first thing I'll do is to find a way to surgically remove this stupid trait. VwV

“I MAY BE A HOGWARTS STUDENT" Hargirid paused angrily. "BUT I AM ALSO A SATANIST!”
Falco - The original Prombat
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 1:54 AM
I think "bra" may be a bit too appropriate of a term.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 2:04 AM
How is "bro" translated in the german version of How I met your mother?

Find my Mods: Here at MTS, over at Simlogical
Test Subject
#10 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 2:07 AM
I remember a Dev (Graham maybe?) saying that originally they intended to call female Bros "Woo Girls" because it is apparently the equivalent? LOL never heard that term before...

But then they decided to be gender inclusive for all traits. Either way, it is kind of a weird trait...
Scholar
#11 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 2:45 AM

Just call me Blake! :)
Hola, hablo español también - Hi, I speak Spanish too.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 2:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rowany
I remember a Dev (Graham maybe?) saying that originally they intended to call female Bros "Woo Girls" because it is apparently the equivalent? LOL never heard that term before...

But then they decided to be gender inclusive for all traits. Either way, it is kind of a weird trait...

Never heard of that either. I just always assumed that bro culture was male exclusive. But there's an Urban Dictionary page on the term so I guess that's a thing.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 3:00 AM
i guess if a female sim is a "bro" she's really a tomboy. And a male "bro" is supposed to be really boyish or at least the stereotype
One Minute Ninja'd
#14 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 3:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rowany

Woo girls??

Must have been back when they were still thinking about making woohoo a skill.
Test Subject
#15 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Woo girls??

Must have been back when they were still thinking about making woohoo a skill.

LOL, that was kind of my first thought too! TBH, it may have been why they changed it, because it sounds too much like WooHoo, which implies... things.

But actually, I googled it and I think it's a How I Met Your Mother reference. Apparently Woo-Girls are dumb-ish girls who are literally always saying "Wooooo!" when they're excited. Lol, yeah, it kinda does sound like a "Bro" equivalent...
Forum Resident
#16 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 4:43 AM
Woo girl is from How I Met Your Mother (the show that really raised "bro culture" to new heights).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPTYoA5emWo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyqv0oWCwYQ (sorry for the bad quality)

HIMYM is a show that broke my heart and is now dead to me, so that's all I'll say about it.
Alchemist
#17 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 4:51 AM
(I keep having to wash out my mouth).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 10:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Consort
How is "bro" translated in the german version of How I met your mother?

Wouldn't know can't stand the show and haven't lived in Germany for over 10 years.But I don't think the developers should pattern the trait after a TV show (the term is older) and none of the characters strikes me as what they are going for with the trait. Honestly they could have just called it "Sports Fan" or "Sports Enthusiast".

So yeah no "Woo Girls" please (that brings other things to mind considering that the Sims call sex Woohoo). I would have called it Ladette, or as others have pointed out Tomboy or, if it isn't too long "One of the Guys". But I guess Sims is always about gender equality so they keep the term for both genders, one reason more they should have called it "Sports Fan"

Lab Assistant
#19 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 6:06 PM
Ladybro? Some of my friends in real life call me that.

I'd be disappointed if the trait wasn't available for girls, too. I do like the sound of Sis.

Still, it bothers me that "bro" is all they talk about. If there was a female equivalent, they should have mentioned it by now.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 6:37 PM
All I'm going to say about the bro trait is that they should've stuck with the gender-neutral term "complete wankers".
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 6:43 PM
I still make no idea why this trait actually exist or what exacly effect it have in game.

To me, as a guy, i would call any male friend of mine of "Bro", you know, it doesnt sound like some aspects tied to one's personality like "Friendly" or "Creative".
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#22 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 6:50 PM Last edited by Phoenixfire88 : 9th Jul 2014 at 7:02 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by V12creator
I still make no idea why this trait actually exist or what exacly effect it have in game.

To me, as a guy, i would call any male friend of mine of "Bro", you know, it doesnt sound like some aspects tied to one's personality like "Friendly" or "Creative".

Same here I call my male friends "Bro" as well once in a while, usually stick with "dude" however.

Well the description of the traits is (roughly translated from Sim Times): These Sims can give other Sims a "Bro Hug". The presence of other Bros fills them with confidence and they gain energy from watching sport broadcasts.
So yeah it's pretty much a "Sports Fan"
Edit: Wouldn't "Jock" have been a better word?

They also have a few other stereotypes like Geek: These Sims are happy when they read Science Fiction novels or play video games. If they can't play or read enough it makes them feel uneasy.They are good at finding collectibles and can enthuse about "Geek Things" with other Geeks.

Scholar
#23 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 7:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phoenixfire88
Edit: Wouldn't "Jock" have been a better word?

They did have Jocks in TS3 UL. They're internally referred to as Socialites, though.

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Test Subject
#24 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 7:37 PM
I always thought bro was synonymous with "douchebag" and usually "asshole." Maybe I'm wrong, but everyone I've ever seen referring to themselves as "bro" seems to be distressingly douchebaggy.
As a plus, I guess, both douchebag and asshole are more-or-less gender neutral. So there's that. I guess. :\
Field Researcher
#25 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 7:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by V12creator

I think the trait gives your sim the ability to be very good friends with another bro without getting in 'love'. Idea is you get bromance. But maybe the Sims without the trait are anti bro?

Trait is unisex by the way. So females have the same bro trait.
Page 1 of 2