Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#76 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 11:27 PM
I actually do want to see emotions though, I want to know if they're genuinely an interesting part of the game, or just another shallow gimmick.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#77 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 11:30 PM
From the way they've been describing them it sounds like the shallowest of shallow gimmicks.
Inventor
#78 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I could be wrong about this, but I think it's the younger players who are more likely to be giving EA more chances and it's us older players closing our wallets. I'm sure some younger ones are too, but maybe those of us over 30-40 have had enough slaps in life to close our's sooner.

I'm 41, and I'm cynical as fuck... So yeah

I've played Sims 1,2,3 bought a gazillion expansion packs through the years, I don't even want to think of adding all the cost up to see how much I spend on Sims over the years. And then comes a time where you realize that they try to sell you less for more, over and over again and you just stop and think "Enough is enough."

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Lab Assistant
#79 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 11:43 PM
Emotions are actually the only thing that might get me to buy a cheap copy of the game when I have a new computer. I don't like that they keep harping on about it while not actually showing us anything but some gameplay trailers, which aren't actual gameplay, but if emotions work anything like EA claims they would be interesting to mess around with. I don't see myself playing it very often though. I very much enjoy generational gameplay and am a fan of the open world and CASt, flawed as they are. Not to mention there's a ts2 base game sitting around my dad's house that no one will miss so I'll probably snatch that up sometime. If I can find it.

We should all spend our money how we see fit. For a lot of people that means not spending it on ts4. If ts4 fits your style of gameplay and you aren't bothered by the things they've cut, that's fine. Just as long as we're all being considerate of each other.
Forum Resident
#80 Old 10th Jul 2014 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Averex
snip

And for the record, what the game is losing is pretty trivial stuff.

snip
As for toddlers, I personally deemed them useless. I know some people liked them, but I just personally found them annoying. You couldn't do anything with them except command your other sims to help them when they're wailing, and that gets tiring pretty quick.

You know what I find trivial, useless and annoying in other games? Monsters in Pacman, Creepers in Minecraft, police cars in Test Drive, pawns in Chess.
No, it's not about some people liking them while others don't, they are an essential part of the game.

I don't like Babies, children, teens, elders that much either because they're not as much fun to play. I don't like the EA story progression because it simply does not work. I don't use CASt a lot because most patterns are stupid and look shit.

It's EA's job to make all age groups fun or challenging to play, it's their job to fix stuff that's broken or unusable because it's so cluttered and awful to use.
Cutting out stuff is not an option if they want to keep The Sims as a platform for gaming. The term "life simulation" has the sound of a high hanging fruit, but a funny cartoonish approximation is possible (as we've seen in Sims 1, 2, 3).
People are not upset because they play with toddlers and pools and opening car doors all day, they are upset because EA has given up on even trying to aim for this direction.

Find my Mods: Here at MTS, over at Simlogical
Alchemist
#81 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 12:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Averex
I know you guys are pissed off about what the game lacks and all, but you have to be open-minded and look past the toddlers, pools, open worlds and crap. Shower this with disagrees all you want,

You got your wish
Lab Assistant
#82 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 12:09 AM
i have never seen a post with so many *disagrees* before! It's kinda like when everybody on youtube disliked friday by rebbecca black
Mad Poster
#83 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 12:11 AM
lol 103! It's a new record XD
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#84 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 1:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CrystalBits
i have never seen a post with so many *disagrees* before! It's kinda like when everybody on youtube disliked friday by rebbecca black
I don't blame the people who disagreed to be honest... :\
Mad Poster
#85 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 2:20 AM
Props to Averex for coming back and apologizing for their posting/attitude.

You see, some of us not only are far older than others, we've worked in places where we had to constantly fix the game for others. HP of course is a mod, and Inge's a modder, as well. I was a moderator of a small site that dealt with the Securom issues from Sims 2. The site still gets queries about how to remove it, and every time we had to walk someone through the process we would literally be swearing blue breath at EA.

So some of us have a very different view of EA that's based on professional judgement stuff. The fact that they're insisting that Origin be installed for one to download and install the game is bad enough. It's far worse than Securom ever was, and it's phoning home every few seconds while you're connected. I will never have such spyware on my computer, and I would suggest anyone who really wants the game to be aware that EA is doing you no favors by forcing you to have Origin installed on your computer.

It's really easy for someone who had less than upright morals to sneak into your computer and alter files that you had no idea they did. I wouldn't ever allow a third party to do this at any time-be it EA or the NSA. Both are equal in my eyes.
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 2:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Oh good, another personal rant thread. This'll go well...

Seriously guys -these threads never go well- especially when they come from a presumption of everyone having the same opinion already, or trying to preach to people to tell them what they should be thinking. We can form our own opinions - and if our opinions are "We don't like what we're seeing, they've cut too much, we're not gonna buy it" then that is just as valid an opinion as "I love TS4 and will buy it on release day and I would marry it if I could."

Well, yes, of course people can like the game for what it is. Maybe the game will be fun and yada yada. Still, what is important to me is to show EA that we ain't taking no shit from them. Yet, EA gets away every time, with thousands of sales.

Therefore all these threads that tell us that "Try to see the bright side, there are still good things about the game" is to me just a surrender. It's like saying: "A thief burned down my house and killed my family. On the bright side, I still got some saved money to buy an apartment". And EA gets away again.

Mad Poster
#87 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 2:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
It's really easy for someone who had less than upright morals to sneak into your computer and alter files that you had no idea they did. I wouldn't ever allow a third party to do this at any time-be it EA or the NSA. Both are equal in my eyes.

I think that's why we install anti-virus and anti-spyware on our computers - to prevent infiltration from the outside. If infiltration is a big concern, I'd be more worried about Windows which has known back doors for the use of the NSA.
Instructor
#88 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 3:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CooCooCoo
I always hated this "stay positive" mindset in rl and here too. When things are sh** they are what they are, no need to sugarcoat it and stay positive. Let's face it, EA managed this poorly, and they don't deserve all the praise they're getting from the fanbois. Stay positive and you'll hit a brick wall once you start playing and notice how many things are missing, it will be too late then.

Wow....someone's a Debbie Downer.
Mad Poster
#89 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 3:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fraroc
Wow....someone's a Debbie Downer.

To be honest, there was also a lot of this behaviour on both sides when Simcity 2013 came out... and unfortunately the Downers were right.
Forum Resident
#90 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 5:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I could be wrong about this, but I think it's the younger players who are more likely to be giving EA more chances and it's us older players closing our wallets. I'm sure some younger ones are too, but maybe those of us over 30-40 have had enough slaps in life to close our's sooner.

I'm about to turn 27 and I'm definitely bitter and jaded.

Like I've said, I think that the reason the "older crowd" are the ones speaking out the most is because they have seen this pattern year after year with EA. It happened with the TS3 and there were a lot of things to be excited about before the game was released. And with TS4, we can't even find much to be excited about prior to the release. It just doesn't bode well. Also, this isn't just a Sims thing. This is just what EA does. There's a reason they won Worst Company in the USA two years in a row. They have pissed off a LOT of gamers.

I also think that perhaps the "older crowd" is talking more about not buying because, compared to a teenager, it's probably more likely that they earn their money themselves. I think that it become harder to justify spending $60 for a product that doesn't look very good when you see how many hours of work it takes to earn that amount of money.
Test Subject
#91 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 6:28 AM
I don't know.......
I mean I don't think I will live without pools and toddlers.
What will my sims do with their lives?
Eat.
Sleep.
Die of laughter because the music is on?
Boring........../sarcasm/
Sims 2 is the best :rolf:
Mad Poster
#92 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 9:10 AM
Quote:
I think that's why we install anti-virus and anti-spyware on our computers - to prevent infiltration from the outside. If infiltration is a big concern, I'd be more worried about Windows which has known back doors for the use of the NSA.

Unfortunately, that would be great if antivirus programs actually worked. In most cases they do not. The best hackers in the world have cracked every single anti-virus program ever made, and most 'mainstream' programs like Windows not only have back doors to their code, they're also connected with companies like Google which happen to embed themselves into browsers just because they can.

Also, most of the time we have no real choices when it comes to this stuff..but in EA's case, I'd opt out of their totally invasive spyware.

Because it's used not only to control piracy (which sometimes even works), but also marketing to the buyers of the games. I'd just as soon not be a test subject for them.

As for the opinion of spending hard earned money-it takes me about 7 hours working to earn the amount of money for one game priced at $60.00. I have many choices when it comes to how I spend my money, and there are a lot of other more important items that command that pay-like food, rent, and utilities. Real life is far more important to me than a few hours of amusing gameplay, but when I do play a game I like to get full value for my purchase.

Sims 4 just doesn't justify the expenditure.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#93 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 10:25 AM
I'd like to thank those of ya'll who kept this thread courteous and level-headed, even if you disagreed with the OP (or if you agreed, whatever, opinions are fine man).

And for those of ya'll who just want to snark and insult... You are not contributing anything but negativity, and to the closure of this thread. Knock it off - it's not cool or funny, and all it does is make this place full of grumpy people. You want to disagree, fine - make some good points, be respectful, don't be a dick. Hope ya'll feel good about yourselves, yelling at a 14 year old who had the strength of character to come back and admit their mistake at getting off on the wrong foot.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Locked thread
Page 4 of 4