Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd May 2008 at 7:47 PM
Eurovision 2008!
So... Eurovision is back! Drag queens (and kings), politics, turkeys and (if you're British) Terry Wogan. Will you be watching? If so, who will you be voting for? Do you actually want your country to be anywhere near it with this year's song? And if you're not watching it, why not?

And did anyone else want Dustin to win?

Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 23rd May 2008 at 7:53 PM
No-one really wants their country to win, because then they'll have to host it next year which costs an arm and a leg.
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd May 2008 at 7:54 PM
I suppose that's true. I was thinking more along the lines of embarrassment- I cringed my way through Scooch last year.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 23rd May 2008 at 7:57 PM
man have anybody seen the belgian entry, no offense i'm happily belgian but i'm really really embarrased for the entry, just like every year. i wish that belgium would be more like finland in those entries. they are cool!
Scholar
#5 Old 23rd May 2008 at 8:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aimsme
I suppose that's true. I was thinking more along the lines of embarrassment- I cringed my way through Scooch last year.

Katie Price was the worst by far. How bad was that? Pink PVC while she was pregnant? NASTY.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 23rd May 2008 at 8:06 PM
I had to answer to this thread - i LOVE eurovision song contest =)

Leenetje: Really? The belgian entry was one of my favorites, I loved it! But not as much as I like the song from Bosnia & Herzegovina and also the entry from Turkey, those two are my favorites... I would not mind at all if Denmark wins, that would be really great, and not an embarrassment at all (In my opinion)
Instructor
#7 Old 23rd May 2008 at 8:10 PM
I'll probably end up watching it, despite that infuriating woman in the pink dress that was on it last year blabbing on about how it has 'always been my dream to be hosting this year eurovision song contest' >.>
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd May 2008 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leenetje
man have anybody seen the belgian entry, no offense i'm happily belgian but i'm really really embarrased for the entry, just like every year. i wish that belgium would be more like finland in those entries. they are cool!

I thought the Belgian entry wasn't bad, though my definite favourite is Finland. I don't think the comparison of 'Lordi without the rubber' quite holds true, but they're still pretty good.

Quote: Originally posted by Spiderchi
I'll probably end up watching it, despite that infuriating woman in the pink dress that was on it last year blabbing on about how it has 'always been my dream to be hosting this year eurovision song contest' >.>

That woman! Egads, do not remind me! My friends and I were watching it at a sleepover- we sent them so many texts asking if she could please die for the sake of our sanity. Unfortunately, she did not (the texts weren't even shown, despite their promise to display them), but there we go. C'est la vie.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 23rd May 2008 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leenetje

Same with Slovenia. And then also southern countries are cutting edges at Eurovision. Slovenians are happy if we even get to the final... "May devil take it" is the chorus of "our" song...
Field Researcher
#10 Old 24th May 2008 at 7:47 AM
You've seen this ChikkiChikki song?? OMG.... what was it, Spain?
Gosh, I had to laugh so much after this performance! Or the rapping grampa!! hilarious!
Wasn't Belgium this "Liki" or something song? I thought it wasn't that bad either.
My country is way to popish this year...
Field Researcher
#11 Old 24th May 2008 at 8:21 AM
well probably the reason why i thiunk this is bad causxe i saw all the other countries that where in the running to go, and i will tell you this, she was the worst of all.
Original Poster
#12 Old 24th May 2008 at 8:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Onah
You've seen this ChikkiChikki song?? OMG.... what was it, Spain?
Gosh, I had to laugh so much after this performance! Or the rapping grampa!! hilarious!

75 cents? He was sooo funny! Bless him. And yes, I split my sides during the ChikkiChikki song.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 24th May 2008 at 1:54 PM
What country is 75cent from??
Field Researcher
#14 Old 24th May 2008 at 2:07 PM
Some Balkan country I believe...

But, this is a contest for songs, not for comedy acts (Which was the case of Spain...)
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 24th May 2008 at 2:08 PM
Finale is tonight right? Think I'll watch it this year. I was one of the haters when Lordi won cause I couldn't stand the song I think Sweden is pretty good, and my own country Norway. But I don't think we are good enough to win. Looking forward to the chikkichikki song :D
Test Subject
#16 Old 24th May 2008 at 3:52 PM
My favourite by far is the Ukrainian (I think) one last year. Oh, that brings back memories of laughing to the point of getting stomach ache...
No offence to anyone who's Ukrainian
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#17 Old 24th May 2008 at 8:20 PM
Watching it right now. I've already heard most of the songs, but not all... Looking forward (in delighted horror) to the turkey one? What country was that? Ireland? Did they even make it to the finals?

It seems in some countries, it's more of a joke than anything, considering their songs. Not that there's naything wrong with that, but... There have been quite a few... extreme contributions the last couple of years (for instance Ukraine last year, as well as... who was it... Lithuania? "We Are The Winners"? Not to mention Finland back in '06 (although that one was really, really good, for ESC.) :D

Personally, I think Sweden and Norway will score rather high. Not too fond of the Norwegian song myself (sorry Paradise) and I really had hoped another song would win the Swedish finals, but eh, Charlotte's okay.
Oh, and yeah, Serbia will be dangerous this year as well, I think.

Also think Albania might core surprisingly high...

Let's see... Heard the Romanian song for the first time a few minutes ago, and... WTF? They weren't even singing the same song. *s*
Same goes for Germany. Their harmonies are horrible!
Sorry if this offends anyone, but... It's just a competition, and the most fun part of it is commenting on (/dissing) everyone. Would probably have dissed Sweden too (like I did last year), had I not thought the song was okay.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Field Researcher
#18 Old 24th May 2008 at 10:17 PM
I either want Turkey or Norway to win - someone of the others were so badly out of tune it was beyond a joke. But then again, no one can be as bad as that duo we entered a few years ago

But that Croatian one? Bloody hilarious
#19 Old 24th May 2008 at 10:22 PM
England have no points so far. Yet again it seems we will be somewhere near the bottom of the board
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 24th May 2008 at 10:26 PM
Terry Wogan is on top form tonight though, he is the only thing that saves me from throttling myself when my daughter insists on watching it!
Field Researcher
#21 Old 24th May 2008 at 10:27 PM
Nevah: Its the UK hun...

edit: Wooo, the UK have 6 Like we will ever ever win nowadays! And that skater during the Russian number? Is actually, if memory serve me right, a world class figure skater. His name is Evgeni Plushenko.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
#22 Old 24th May 2008 at 10:56 PM
Okay, I now officially suck at predicting the outcome of these things.
Then again, I always did say Sweden would do alot better if we had sent BWO with 'Lay Your Love On Me' instead of Charlotte. *sigh*
Anyway, it's the second year in a row that the winner was a song I didn't even notice. *lol*

*edit*

But okay then, congrats Russia. :D

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Instructor
#23 Old 25th May 2008 at 12:11 AM
Honestly, I'm not happy with the winner. Didn't like him 2 years ago or when, I think it was the year Lordi won. Only entries I kind of liked were Finland (thought it was a bit weird) and Bosnia (LOL).

Quote: Originally posted by Onah
What country is 75cent from??

Croatia (jeej, my country). Luckily, the last year's crap didn't happen again. xD Thought, it was weird that he was talking and I bet like 95% of people who watched that had no bloody idea what he was talking.
Test Subject
#24 Old 25th May 2008 at 10:03 AM
There was no way anyone other than Russia could have one, the moment I heard the song it was easy to know... but I like the song.
I would have preferred Israel or Turkey to win but it's okay. Anything but the Ukraine.
Test Subject
#25 Old 25th May 2008 at 10:42 AM
I can't believe Greece came so near the top; it sounded too Americanised to me, though I'm guessing they're a famous group over there. That's the problem with the UK. We always choose some random person with a song that's never going to win, instead of choosing a well-known pop group...
Page 1 of 2