Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 12:46 AM
Default Half Walls nerfed.
For those "master-builders" out there that used to make 1/4 and half walls in Sims 2.. well.. they've nerfed them. You can still pull it off, but it's much harder, and buggy. The worst part though is that it seems with the new stair system you can't make stairs anymore, for example round ones. At least I haven't been able to. Anyone found a new way?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 12:50 AM
I haven't had any problems making half or quarter walls (or 3/4 walls), and I'm no master builder. Just a bunch of screwing around with CFE, same as TS2. What exactly are you having problems with in doing it? I'd imagine it would be a giant pain in the ass if you were trying to sink the ground using the terrain tool rather than just using modular stairs...

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Site Helper
#3 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 5:21 AM
Well, I can think of a couple of problems very easily:
- Partial levels without windows are very very dark; looks bizarre.
- Ceilings are flying in the air above the roof.
- CFE causes furniture to disassociate from the floor and fly in the air.
- CFE causes furniture to arbitrarily change level. I've had furniture on the second floor show up when I'm viewing the basement.
- Stairs may not be willing to place when > 1 level.

I'm sure that there are more... I've only been working on one (!) house: trying to lower the Wolff residence.
Alchemist
#4 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 5:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
I haven't had any problems making half or quarter walls (or 3/4 walls), and I'm no master builder.

I've found half/quarter walls easy to do with no foundation, and impossible to do with foundation.
Site Helper
#5 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 6:01 AM
Well, they're not impossible with foundations, but they certainly have problems.

In general, I find build mode is horrible in TS3. Then again, I like modern homes created with CFE.
Alchemist
#6 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 6:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Well, they're not impossible with foundations, but they certainly have problems.

In general, I find build mode is horrible in TS3. Then again, I like modern homes created with CFE.

Don't mean to drag this OT and make it about me but... Is there a tutorial somewhere for how to accomplish CFE related cheats and actions on walls set on foundation? When I try, my levelling tool cuts through the level I start it on and refuses to acknowledge the rest of my structure, never raising up to modify the adjacent walls. It's driving me crazy.
Test Subject
#7 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 6:34 AM
You have to make sure to start the tool on the same floor that you want to edit. Like, if you have a 2 story house on a foundation, your 'dummy' walls that you put up to work from would have to be 3 stories high (or, a foundation and 2 stories), if you want to CFE the second story of your main house. The foundation counts as 1 story. The leveling tool will only work with that specific story that you start it on.

Hope that made sense.. hard to explain! :P

Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
Don't mean to drag this OT and make it about me but... Is there a tutorial somewhere for how to accomplish CFE related cheats and actions on walls set on foundation? When I try, my levelling tool cuts through the level I start it on and refuses to acknowledge the rest of my structure, never raising up to modify the adjacent walls. It's driving me crazy.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 9:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Well, I can think of a couple of problems very easily:
- Partial levels without windows are very very dark; looks bizarre.
- Ceilings are flying in the air above the roof.
- CFE causes furniture to disassociate from the floor and fly in the air.
- CFE causes furniture to arbitrarily change level. I've had furniture on the second floor show up when I'm viewing the basement.
- Stairs may not be willing to place when > 1 level.

I'm sure that there are more... I've only been working on one (!) house: trying to lower the Wolff residence.

For furnitures, roofs issues and other existing items before the CFE just delete/undo them, sometimes delete then replace them (why ??? )

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Site Helper
#9 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 5:52 PM
In other words, the TS3 build tools are broken. I have to do a LOT more work to achieve the same effect that I had with TS2, with more likelihood of problems.
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#10 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 7:04 PM
Maybe Maxis will acknowledge these..."features" of these games to be more of a problem than anything and fix them with the first patch. CFE certainly has been reduced to a mediocre point now, and i was unaware fo the issues with the furniture.

As for the dark rooms, table lamps and move objects illuminate those areas perfectly

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Site Helper
#11 Old 19th Jun 2009 at 8:44 PM
A poor "fix" to an unnecessary problem. My problem isn't with a room; it's with an unlit partial wall on top of a completely lit room. I may just rethink the redesign completely, to try to avoid the worst EA bugs.

Yes, I hope that EA decides to fix the building tools. However, since they already have their hands full trying to fix the incredibly annoying "story progression" and then trying to give us some minimal neighborhood editing tools, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while for them to fix our ability to use CFE. Sigh.