Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#251 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
Are there any mods that control that, the psychic visibility around town because your post just made me want to play my wanton sim. Great idea!

I do have something for that- I'm pretty sure it was a tuning mod on Sims Asylum. Might have been the same one I use to shut down the attraction system- it seems to limit romantic visibility to only what a sim can actually see, similar to how it worked in TS2.

As for the idea of buying a second house for the purpose of carrying on a long-term extramarital affair, here's a possible variant on that for when somebody mods this system to expand the possibilities a bit: Buy your mistress an expensive home to live in for the ultimate in corrupt politician/rich asshole gameplay! :D
Advertisement
Inventor
#252 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 12:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heat33330
A castle's grounds that wouldn't fit on one lot? You could have one lot for a big, fancy garden, another for the main building, another for the stables, another for the servants etc.

I built something like this in TS2, a sort of a small Versailles. The real thing was/is impossible to do (much too big for a Sims game) but I did a relatively small imitation, like the ones that still exist all over Europe, with the main building (in French style) on one lot and the aligned formal garden (which I made public) on the other one. The view from one lot to the other was tolerable but not all that great. It would be much better in TS3 but the problem is where to find enough free terrain on which to align at least two big lots.
Eminence Grise
#253 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 3:37 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 24th Jun 2013 at 4:16 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by MinghamSmith
I do have something for that- I'm pretty sure it was a tuning mod on Sims Asylum. Might have been the same one I use to shut down the attraction system- it seems to limit romantic visibility to only what a sim can actually see, similar to how it worked in TS2.

As for the idea of buying a second house for the purpose of carrying on a long-term extramarital affair, here's a possible variant on that for when somebody mods this system to expand the possibilities a bit: Buy your mistress an expensive home to live in for the ultimate in corrupt politician/rich asshole gameplay! :D

I think resorts are gonna be excellent for this. In TS2 I always placed a BV hotel in my homeworlds for sleazy affairs and assignations And resorts can go anywhere, afaik. If your sim's mistress is a household member, no reason you can't park her permanently at a resort which you can custom-build as a love nest in Edit Town and then let the game run autonomously! Then she can cheat on her paramour with the resort staff

Or let your rich asshole run the resort too as a profitable business venture... the mistress can be on the payroll as "manager" But I think to really capture the archetype you should have to pay through the nose for her upkeep, not make a profit off her.

Quote: Originally posted by emino
I'm thinking of using it to purchase land to setup photo/art studio, or an inventor's workshop, or a science lab with science station or chemistry lab, or even just a fruit orchard/garden for my sim. Any other nifty ideas for second lots? lol

My sim's second lot is his fishing retreat; since he got rich on tiberium, he also built a nice spa there. Can't really use it for assignations since it's on a (currently) inaccessible island (except by swimming or dive well), but after IP comes out with boats for all, that could change. However, his GF has been carrying on with another dude on the primary lot, and just had the other dude's baby...

Other thoughts: Ambitions careers let you do stuff at home, so your fireman once he becomes captain and gets an alarm and firetruck can have his own lil fire station there, and similarly your beautician sim can set up a private salon once they have the ability to offer makeovers etc. With a Twallan mod your athletic sim can be a personal trainer and have his own gym. Lots of fun opportunities for workplaces! My only concern would be getting other sims to visit there for service jobs... you might wind up needing to make the workplace be the primary lot in those cases, so that "invite over" works as expected.

Edit: another idea: equestrian sims! Horses take up SO much space that being able to put em on a secondary lot seems like a dream come true. Stable with a proper barn using the barn doors and plenty of room for training equipment :D
Alchemist
#254 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 4:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Pineapple Treehouse

Where did you get that idea? It's pretty neat!
Theorist
#255 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 8:48 PM
In my crazy head. I'm always trying to build things that are just beyond reach of what the tools allow you. When those tools improve, years or months of ideas can be realised.
For example, I am now dreaming of a hood which is basically a massive starship, floating in the sky. Lets see what ITF brings....

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#256 Old 25th Jun 2013 at 3:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
Because I am directional stupid, I have never been able to get the stairs that are stacked completely over each other to work, so I always stack the stairs with one space over from the start of the other.

Thanks for the solution. I knew about this trick but you actually reminded and encouraged me to use it instead of waiting for a solution in a wishful-thinking patch's patch.

The one-tile-forward method does have the disadvantage of eating up a lot of tiles when stacking all the way from basement to top floor though. In the meantime, double stairs became narrow winding, motion sickening pathways up and down the townhouses. Sigh, now I've got to remodel all the restaurants, cassinos and flat/apartment buildings...
dodgy builder
#257 Old 25th Jun 2013 at 1:38 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 25th Jun 2013 at 1:50 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by TMBrandon
Okay, I'm back with more underwater basement-ing.
So, I can only roughly remember, because I've been building a house for the past couple of hours since trying this.
First I took the tip of "build it from the land and then go down one level and extend out there" Well, here's what happened:

As you can see the land extended UNDER the water LOL! So then I was like ok, then let me go ahead and go down another level. That didn't make a much of a difference, so I went down yet another and voila. (And mind you building underground, underwater is a PAIN so many run ins and the land terraforms a lot):

Summary being you need to go down 3 levels to get it not to show up, and be completely underwater.

And here was the design used:

(look at how disgusting that land formation is!)

Tip: Don't do something derpy as this as your underground design

Instead do this:

Also looking at those photos, you can see the ocean bottom because that is what the lot lays on and it gives you a good idea of what Graham was saying about the ocean not being deep enough, not sure what the "height" needed is exactly, but nonetheless you can see it is not deep enough to the terms needed for dive lots I guess, and I would like to test this again to see how deep it is in Isla Paradiso.

Lastly, I do agree that it most likely has to do with the world you are in to get a fully submerged water lot, I'm testing in Sunset Valley and there were a few spots where as I said, it went green. I'll try and take a snapshot the next time I'm in game, hopefully it wasn't a one-time thing lol.

EDIT: Forgot to add that windows don't show the water sadly as it would with a pool... It just shows black and you have to use moveobjects on and even that it glitches a lot, I managed to get a semi-decent screen:

I tried playing around in a beta with cfe and moveobjects on. You can play with this pretty freely on different level. I could even place the basement in the water and connect it to a basement already made on land. It had to be logical floorlevels though as usual. A staircase goes from up and down or from down and up. Not down to same or down to a floor above.

The basement trick was very simple. Annoying the ladder could not just be placed where ever i wanted with moveobjects on.

When you dribble with underwater features like this, I have only been able to see a black void for a very long time. It can easily be fixed with an extra room with an aquarium in I guess. I tried putting a pool down there, but it triggered a cannot be built in water error. I only guess it could be made on land first possibly and then pushed down with cfe and then used as a more interesting thing to look at out the windows. I would have to play more with this to be sure. In caw perhaps it's possible to lower the water level while you're building as well, or perhaps you don't need to worry in caw.
Page 11 of 11