Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 7:18 PM Last edited by coolsim22 : 23rd Feb 2015 at 8:35 PM.
Default Simple Holiday House, Feedback Please
I'm planing on uploading my first upload onto this site which is a small house with a pool, The moderator said the architect needs the most changes he/she recommended using the feedback page to help me with my upload. So please could you gave me feed back.

These are some Pictures of the Interior of the house

Birds eye view of lot

Exterior of the house

Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 9:34 PM
I personally really like it and would download it for my game!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 9:50 PM
Thanks, @pizza
do you think the architect would look better if I move the bathroom to the top left corner of the garage making a bigger living space? the moderator said that the architect needs changing, so I don't think It will be accepted if I don't change the layout
Instructor
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 10:23 PM
I do think the garage takes too much space, so I'll second your suggestion of taking a corner of it for living space.
I'm not really good enough with layout to make better suggestions.

However, one thing I do notice is, that nothing seems to have been through CAS. I think it would help a lot, if you did that. Also, I notice the picture over the bed, is not raised so that it doesn't clash - I would also suggest moving that up a bit

The flooring in the garage is a bit peculiar for a garage, but that may just be me.

I do like the general look of the house, and I quite like what I can see of the front garden and the terrace - I'm sure it can be a very nice house Looking forward to updates
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2015 at 11:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Tigerdyhr
I do think the garage takes too much space, so I'll second your suggestion of taking a corner of it for living space.
I'm not really good enough with layout to make better suggestions.

However, one thing I do notice is, that nothing seems to have been through CAS. I think it would help a lot, if you did that. Also, I notice the picture over the bed, is not raised so that it doesn't clash - I would also suggest moving that up a bit

The flooring in the garage is a bit peculiar for a garage, but that may just be me.

I do like the general look of the house, and I quite like what I can see of the front garden and the terrace - I'm sure it can be a very nice house Looking forward to updates

I currently only have Late night and University installed and I think generations give the ability to change the height of paintings.
if that is the case I will try to reinstall it, but when I reinstalled it last week for my other family it caused my game not to save due to error code 12 and 16 so I uninstalled the EP but since then I did get help to solve the saving issues which worked but I just haven't reinstalled generations yet because I was told that when my file gets to large I will start getting saving errors again and I lost my favourite family during the process of fixing the issue.

I Don't have a garage at home and the last time I went in one was many years ago so I was really unsure on what flooring to use.
Instructor
#6 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 12:04 AM
Oh okay. Well, it's not Generations, because that the only EP I don't have. But hey, don't worry, it's just a detail and if you can't raise it, that's just how it is

In my personal opinion, Late Night has some nice gravel under misc. flooring, that I use a lot in my garages. I think it's some of the first listed, under misc. flooring.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#7 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 12:08 AM
The house is very square - you could add some bump outs, which would make the architecture look more interesting. I would also move the bathroom next to the bedroom where the dining area is now and put the dining area where the bathroom is. The patio doors could be moved to where the lounge area is. Also is it a modern house or traditional? You have some clashing styles going on inside it. The sofas you have chosen are not a modern style I would make the garage smaller and make it a one car garage, you can park the other car on the driveway and change the garage flooring to concrete

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Instructor
#8 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 5:16 AM
The backyard looks great, with a pool and lounge. But I believe you should not occupy so much space with only tile flooring: maybe cut some for landscaping using trees?

The interior is alright, but the furnishing style can be more coherent. The idea is great, keep working on it!
Try to CASt items more: even tweaking things here and there can help make your colours go together and the room will then look like it's actually a room, but not a place where random furniture is put together.

The windows look odd at the barbeque area. Try switching to another style
Pretty Space Pony
retired moderator
#9 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 8:28 AM
I'm glad to see you've posted here I think you have received some very useful feedback already, not sure if I can add something to it! I think the architecture needs improving for the reasons Karen already explained, right now the house is quite square. What helps for me is playing around with the layout, moving walls in when there's wasted space and basically a lot of fiddling. Rather than starting with a square and drawing the rooms inside of that, I treat the rooms as 'blocks' (2x3 bathroom, 4x3 kitchen, 4x4 bedroom or 5x5 if my Sims are lucky).The way I put these blocks together determines the shape of the house. I find that it helps me to keep the shape a bit more interesting. Looking forward to your updates!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 4:25 PM Last edited by coolsim22 : 24th Feb 2015 at 4:45 PM.
Thankyou to everyone who has given feedback
I will start making changes to the house and will post updates later tonight or tomorrow.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Feb 2015 at 8:38 PM
Default Update
I've made the changes everyone has suggested and I now think the house is now ready for upload

Changes:
The garage has been made smaller, flooring has been changed and two different window have been placed at the back
The bathroom has been moved next to the bedroom
The kitchen windows are now white
The top left corner of the outdoor area has a small allotment for sims who want to garden
Dinning area has been moved to were the bathroom was
A new little are has been added in the Interior
Exterior Photos

Birds eye View

Interior Photos

Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#12 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 12:07 AM
I like the room placement much more now and the smaller garage space The dining table looks rather odd squashed up against the wall, try moving it out and putting chairs along both sides of it. And to be honest I would use a smaller table as this is only a one bedroom house. In the kitchen I notice you have the fridge in front of the window, I would swap it with the counter next to it.

If it were me I would alter the shape of the house a bit too, because at the moment it is still basically a square box. I would add some planting to the back of the house rather than leaving it all paved like that - it's a very big area to be paved. Why not plant up a small area, like you have in the front, - that looks really pretty. You have 2 picnic tables, do you need 2? Personally I'd use one and add in some planters to the area.

The house is coming along very nicely

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Instructor
#13 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 6:12 AM
Interior furnishing is good, only that you can try finding a general colour scheme to be used thoroughout. For example, you did well with the living room's blue wall which spiced up the atmosphere. Now, I'd suggest that you should switch for another sofa. That doesn't look suitable for the general environment.

The colour scheme doesn't have to be so eye-catching. Just a soft tone like beige of various shades could do.

The landscaping can be more natural. Try reading the tutorials here at MTS or look at what others' do. I am referring to the hedge in the front yard. It looks somewhat odd.

In my humble opinion, I'd like to change the kitchen windows as well. The reason is that, although every room is furnished okay, they don't go well together as a whole house. You used "manor" windows for the garage and then the LN modern ones for the kitchen, which is one of the factors causing the lack of coherence. You said you are going to do a simple holiday house - so why not do it suburban style? Plain, simple windows. Try using the same in the whole house, or two similar ones.

The empty space in the living room can be utilized as well - what would you want there in real life, if you were the houseowner? Currently I have no idea, only that I'd suggest you put something there or change the architecture to avoid empty space.

And, as I am a patient suffering from Create-a-style OCD, I can spot that the kitchen isn't CASted at all. It isn't a problem but you'd want doing so, because when you CASt all items with similar colours / complementing colours, the coherence will then be found. Same goes for the bathroom.

I'd also prefer a smaller tiled pool area with a grass yard. For now it looks mroe like a plaza than a cozy, natural backyard. Try to play with flooring patterns in the pool area as well, to give it some flavours.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 4:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KarenLorraine
I like the room placement much more now and the smaller garage space The dining table looks rather odd squashed up against the wall, try moving it out and putting chairs along both sides of it. And to be honest I would use a smaller table as this is only a one bedroom house. In the kitchen I notice you have the fridge in front of the window, I would swap it with the counter next to it.

If it were me I would alter the shape of the house a bit too, because at the moment it is still basically a square box. I would add some planting to the back of the house rather than leaving it all paved like that - it's a very big area to be paved. Why not plant up a small area, like you have in the front, - that looks really pretty. You have 2 picnic tables, do you need 2? Personally I'd use one and add in some planters to the area.

The house is coming along very nicely

I put in 2 picnic tables in BBQ area because I want there to be enough room for all the guest when the sim(s) throw a party, same goes for the table but I will change the table.

Quote: Originally posted by SimsMatthew
Interior furnishing is good, only that you can try finding a general colour scheme to be used thoroughout. For example, you did well with the living room's blue wall which spiced up the atmosphere. Now, I'd suggest that you should switch for another sofa. That doesn't look suitable for the general environment.

The colour scheme doesn't have to be so eye-catching. Just a soft tone like beige of various shades could do.

The landscaping can be more natural. Try reading the tutorials here at MTS or look at what others' do. I am referring to the hedge in the front yard. It looks somewhat odd.

In my humble opinion, I'd like to change the kitchen windows as well. The reason is that, although every room is furnished okay, they don't go well together as a whole house. You used "manor" windows for the garage and then the LN modern ones for the kitchen, which is one of the factors causing the lack of coherence. You said you are going to do a simple holiday house - so why not do it suburban style? Plain, simple windows. Try using the same in the whole house, or two similar ones.

The empty space in the living room can be utilized as well - what would you want there in real life, if you were the houseowner? Currently I have no idea, only that I'd suggest you put something there or change the architecture to avoid empty space.

And, as I am a patient suffering from Create-a-style OCD, I can spot that the kitchen isn't CASted at all. It isn't a problem but you'd want doing so, because when you CASt all items with similar colours / complementing colours, the coherence will then be found. Same goes for the bathroom.

I'd also prefer a smaller tiled pool area with a grass yard. For now it looks mroe like a plaza than a cozy, natural backyard. Try to play with flooring patterns in the pool area as well, to give it some flavours.

Tbh, I couldn't decide on what to put in the empty space, I'll try to change things with CASt but it can cause my game to lag.

Updates should be up tonight or later
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 25th Feb 2015 at 9:36 PM Last edited by coolsim22 : 25th Feb 2015 at 9:48 PM.
Default Update
I've done most of the changes, I now really love the way the house looks and really hoping it is ready for upload.
Just to let you know in advance I will not be changing the layout but when/If I make another house I will not make it so squared.
I used the EA Match Mission Window at Counter Height by Leefish so do I need to ask her permission to use her windows on the house before I explode it.

Birds eye view

Exterior

Interior

Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#16 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 12:02 AM
That is looking so much better, well done!
No you don't need to ask Leefish's permission to use her windows, but it is always best to check a creator's Terms of Use (TOU) before you upload.

Scholar
#17 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 1:12 AM
Looks good to me! Great work! My only suggestion would be to use the Alt key to move plants/flowers away from the walls where they are sticking through the walls just a bit in some places.
Alchemist
#18 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 12:02 PM
The fence looks kinda funky with the pattern you chose, It's something new to me. I'd personally change the kitchen floor to black tiles, given the black trim on the wall.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#19 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 4:57 PM
Thanks Everyone
because the house only needs minor changes I will not be post updates and submit the house, plus I need to save time for revision because I have an exam tomorrow so I'll need to revise.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 9:36 PM
YAY!
Thanks to everyone who helped me, my Upload has been accepted. I've learned a lot through the thread and will use the skills I have learned In future builds.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#21 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 10:34 PM
Well done, you worked hard on this house. Goodluck with your exam

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 4:36 PM Last edited by coolsim22 : 27th Feb 2015 at 5:11 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by KarenLorraine
Well done, you worked hard on this house. Goodluck with your exam

Thanks, I found it quite hard, when I did the test I Wasn't with yet (if you know what I mean) because I felt sick as if I was going to throw up and I had something on my mind about a creepy thing that had happened when I was walking home from school on Wednesday and Thursday, so I spent the whole day dreading the walk home.

Dam, I was looking over upload page and just realised that I did the Birds eye view shot with half walls on and not full walls, This is going to bug me.