Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 12:57 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default "The application has crashed" when trying to buy clothes
Windows 10, Ultimate Collection.

I had to repair my game through Origin some time back because of what seemed to be my Maxis 'hood install files being corrupted, and have been having this issue ever since.

I can no longer make my Sims get new clothes - I can browse for a minute or two, and then without fail get the popup, "The application has crashed. The application will now terminate." It seems completely unrelated to my CC, because it happens at random and I've had the same CC in my game prior to repairing it without this issue (and I have almost all the same CC on my Mac without problems). I'm not sure if Change Appearance can trigger this as well, but I haven't seen it do so yet. (As an aside, the crash doesn't seem to fully end the game process - I play in fullscreen, and whenever it "crashes", the game window freezes, gets stuck, and locks me in. I can't pull up Task Manager or anything else because it seems to get stuck behind the game window, and I end up having to log out and back into my user account to fix it.)

Everything else with existing Sims appears completely functional; I can play for hours without any problems whatsoever, as long as I don't tell my Sims to get new clothes. If I tell them to get new clothes, it doesn't matter whether I've been playing for hours or minutes; the game crashes. It happens in every neighborhood and with every category of clothing that exists. I haven't tested Create-a-Sim to see if the problem occurs there as well. Body Shop appears to function fine.

I discovered earlier that all of my game files in the Documents folder had been set to read-only, but changing that doesn't seem to have affected anything; I still get the crash.

My game's already been adjusted to recognize my graphics card, so I don't think it's a graphics issue. I tried deleting my Accessory and Groups cache, downloading new ones, and making the new ones read-only, but had no luck. I haven't tried anything related to memory settings yet, but that's because I don't think this is a memory issue (since it only ever seems to be triggered by getting new clothes). I don't have any hacks related to clothing, aside from the hacked coathook that allows for getting clothes for free at home. At this point, I'm stuck and need some assistance.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 1:17 AM
I've previously had random crashes related to clothing, and it's often because of high memory usage or standby memory that isn't emptied. Since you have Win10, have you tried the memory allocation fix and 4GB fix, as described in the video here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641? - they can both help with random crashing or crashing from high resource use. The game can only utilize 2 GB of RAM with default settings, depending on your system (a 32-bit system may work better for TS2 than a 64-bit system, and hardware can also play a role).

Having a lot of CC, and having certain borked clothing items can also be a problem. Some clothing items will cause crashes if you get to that point in the catalog, and it's not unlikely that there are several pieces of clothing causing problems. Other items you may be able to scroll past fine, but will crash the game if you click on them. Some might be very high-poly or have a lot of textures, so they're resource-demanding, and may cause a memory spike and lead to crashing. It doesn't always have to be the same outfit. Sometimes it may be the game trying to make thumbnails. You'll often notice that once the game has made thumbnails for items, they load a lot quicker. If you delete the cache files before going ingame, this isn't always true for clothes the first time you scroll through them, but they'll usually load quicker the second round while still ingame. Same with any other CAS item.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 23rd Jun 2019 at 2:18 AM
Just adding it can be cc, cc files can randomly corrupt maybe because your power flicked or your game crashed or some other odd hicup happened. I had some elder male wear randomly corrupt on an elder sim birthday, I had it for years. Then I couldn't open elder male wear in CAS, Body Shop or in game, I had to find and remove the bad file.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Jun 2019 at 4:34 PM
I used the memory allocation fix, and it seems like everything's working again!