Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2019 at 11:19 PM
Default Island Living First Impression
Just woke up and install the game. Taking the day off to play the game (and run some errands later), so feel free to ask me to try anything you want me to try.

My first beef with this game, you cant seem to build sandcastles (sand sculptures) together. Only build Many Many Sandcastles if you are with a friend.

Also I think it is silly that we can't sit by the pier. That's like my fav thing to do by the beach. And since you can sit by the pool already, why not extend the support to the pier?

Advertisement
*shrugs*
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Jun 2019 at 11:29 PM
*waits for a surfing mod to be made*

I don't mind if you call me "MSD" or something for short.
Tumblr
Perhaps someday I'll have leisure time back...
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jun 2019 at 11:33 PM Last edited by emino : 21st Jun 2019 at 12:25 AM.
You can only jump from the pier/deck if you have this attached. If not Sims will return to the beach and enter the water from there lol.

`

There's this option to "Activate Flower Sail" which just showering the sims with the flower petal? I am not a boating/canoe man, so I dont know the significance of this, but lolwut?

People of Sulani will sometimes place fishtraps. You can check them out (steal fish? unless they are from AirBnB Experience I dont think you should take fishes unless you place the trap lol) from time to time.

And you can comb for seashells (and trash) at the beach. This works as group activity as well.

Quote: Originally posted by maybesomethingdunno
*waits for a surfing mod to be made*

I'd welcome that too lol.
Test Subject
#4 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 12:49 AM
Unfortunately it looks like another boring the sims 4 expansion
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 12:53 AM Last edited by emino : 21st Jun 2019 at 1:06 AM.
So apparently these sand sculpture did not reset for at least a few days (I've only been playing for a few sim days), so after a while, your beach will be littered with sculptures.

They have an electronic vending machine that sells beach supplies, which puzzles me because these are the kind of things should be sold at beach hut vendor thingy.

This one only sells food apparently:

Taking a break as wife made me do the laundry since I am on leave. Ask away if you want me to try things.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 1:56 AM
The world is beautiful. Probably my favourite so far.

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 3:12 AM
I'm back (for a while, going out after this).

Loving the fact now Sims have sarong to wear. Men in my country generally wear this when they are at home.

`

My mistake, apparently you can build sand sculpture together. The interaction is hidden under social when you click on sim instead of the beach.

Scholar
#8 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 4:03 AM
I purchased it over 13 hours ago, and have a lot of mixed feelings on this one, I only mention what a think is good.

The new swimming aminations are a welcome addition.

It has some very nice CAS content.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 4:32 AM
A vending machine for beach supplies but not food/drinks.

Brilliant.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#10 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 5:10 AM
how often does the volcano erupt moved some sim in the house near it
Instructor
#11 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 5:15 AM
Thanks, now I can check Food Stalls off the bingo card.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 6:54 AM Last edited by emino : 21st Jun 2019 at 11:11 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54

Brilliant.

I feel like they should reverse it and it would be a better design decision lol

---

Adding on... Odd Jobs is just like... One time job. That you do for 1 time reward. It works just like regular job: Sim goes off lot and dissapear until task is done.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 11:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ticklish
how often does the volcano erupt moved some sim in the house near it

I think the eruption is controlled by Lot Trait. I assign the lot trait to my sim's house and will monitor it accordingly.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 1:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54

Brilliant.

Don't worry, a university pack will provide one.

But for school supplies.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 2:39 PM
So... I got to play a few hours last night.

World is beautiful. Pre-built houses are nice, it comes across as whoever made them had fun doing so rather than just checking off a list of chores. The set/background houses look good too, and they are all new except for that one house they keep using in all worlds.... C'mon gurus. You could have used one of the new nice set houses you made instead of that one!

I actually really love the new townies and I might even abandon my 2 year old save to play one of them. I've always thought the buff thicc sims look weird because that's just how the game engine makes them look but Oliana Ngata is a total cutie. Again it seems like whoever made these sims had fun doing so.

BB is nice. Not a lot of content but what's there I will use regularly so if it's quality over quantity I'm okay with that. Was hoping for more potted plants.

CAS is nice too, I like most clothes and it compliments seasons very well as it's more casual summer clothes. I LOVE the new hairs! They did a good job there.

Gameplay... I don't know really. I didn't get to play much as I was busy building but it doesn't seem like anything really revolutionary. Maybe it's because what's introduced is mostly summer activities and so it feels like it should have been a part of seasons or even the base game in some ways. It doesn't have that one thing that changes the game in a major way... The most I can think of is the suntan mechanic (and tan lines stay for a while too which is a nice touch!). Since there's talk of them implementing swimming in all worlds (as they really should...) then that's off the list. Odd jobs are cool, I don't mind them being rabbit holes. Maybe they could have mixed them up a bit like "paint a medium x painting" and then you could submit it to the job or whatever. But that's also something that could belong to other packs like university.

But I'm gonna play more later so maybe I'll change my mind. I'm all about the minor things so we'll see...

Do I feel like I wasted my money? Not really. I bought it off CD keys as always and what the game has so far I'm happy with. But I have to agree with some opinions I've seen that it could maybe even have been a GP instead of a EP.

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 3:28 PM Last edited by hiabara : 21st Jun 2019 at 3:43 PM.
What about the weather? I'm pretty sure there's no snow, but is there fall or weather cold enough for Sims to change outfits and use the thermostat?

edit: Speaking of CAS before - I peeked into someone's game and I'm disappointed that the scales for the face only come in 4 bright colors instead of actually matching the ones for the body.
And the fins are disappointing as well because I thought there were at least four different ones, but it's only two different ones - The first two have slightly "sharper" fins than the other two, and for whatever reason they splitted each kind of fin in two categories
Instructor
#17 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 3:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
I feel like they should reverse it and it would be a better design decision lol

---

Adding on... Odd Jobs is just like... One time job. That you do for 1 time reward. It works just like regular job: Sim goes off lot and dissapear until task is done.

Emino, did you perhaps edit the gender for Brant Hecking in your game? If not, that job description is a bit...off.

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Field Researcher
#18 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 4:03 PM
I got it last night when it released in my time zone. I’m pleasantly surprised so far.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 4:26 PM
Has anyone else had difficulties placing beach towels? I went to place one on my lot from Build Mode but it was invisible; I could click on it like it was there, it just didn't show up. Is it because I'm not on a beach lot? (My Sim lives at the Caldera Camp). I also don't get any options when clicking on the sunblock lotion. Other than that I've only had about an hour to play the pack so far, but I'm loving it. There's lots of cool stuff, and I had really hard time deciding whether to have my Sim become a Conservationist or a Lifeguard/Diver lol (I picked the former, and once he maxes out the career, I'll do the latter).
Field Researcher
#20 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 4:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nicjmartin
Has anyone else had difficulties placing beach towels? I went to place one on my lot from Build Mode but it was invisible; I could click on it like it was there, it just didn't show up. Is it because I'm not on a beach lot? (My Sim lives at the Caldera Camp). I also don't get any options when clicking on the sunblock lotion. Other than that I've only had about an hour to play the pack so far, but I'm loving it. There's lots of cool stuff, and I had really hard time deciding whether to have my Sim become a Conservationist or a Lifeguard/Diver lol (I picked the former, and once he maxes out the career, I'll do the latter).

I haven’t had issues with towels, my sims place them on their deck at home.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 5:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Goldbear
I haven’t had issues with towels, my sims place them on their deck at home.

Interesting. I wonder if it's because I haven't actually tried having my Sim buy one? Or maybe it's a CC issue somehow? I'll have to look into it. Thanks for responding!
Field Researcher
#22 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nicjmartin
Interesting. I wonder if it's because I haven't actually tried having my Sim buy one? Or maybe it's a CC issue somehow? I'll have to look into it. Thanks for responding!

Don’t you have to buy them? I didn’t try it without.

And you are welcome!
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 6:04 PM
Emino, thanks for the lovely pictures! Can you post one of 2 sims making a sandcastle together?
Are the odd jobs specific to the island or can any sim anywhere access it if I buy the pack? I see they didn't correct the silly text for the sea shell one. During the stream they read the fail text and kept LOLing like mad instead of saying 'huh, we'll correct it'. I expect a 2 years wait for the patch that will finally repair it (I don't play the game in English so I don't give a damn but it's funny!)
You're supposed to build relationship points with the odd job giver, did you check your relations panel to see if it's true?
How long does the suntan stays if you don't suntan again? one day? 2? a week? Does it fade gradually or your sim just wake up untanned? I guess it pops out when the suntan burn moodlet goes away.
Does the sunblock lotion totally blocks the suntan or can your sim still can get a light one, just like IRL?
Show us the ground oven leaf thingie (no idea what it's called)!! Can you cook anything in it or is it a specific recipe? Can it get dirty? Can it burn? Can it fail? Is it a one time use or can you stuff it again?
Also did you get any island festivities event and where they cool? Fire breather NPCs? Local ghosts telling stories? Anything?
Sorry for the spam XD
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 7:54 PM
Can anyone share what mermaids consists of in this expansion pack. I didn't buy sims 3 Island paradise and I'm curious to see how the feature works in sims 4. Thank you for sharing!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 21st Jun 2019 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Dixieland
Emino, did you perhaps edit the gender for Brant Hecking in your game? If not, that job description is a bit...off.

I think he is just commenting on the whole "She Sells Seashells by the Sea Shore" thingy that teachers always use in classes to teach our pronunciation.
Page 1 of 9