Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#851 Old 28th Dec 2013 at 10:03 PM
Even tho I love my Armstrong family, I decided to start a new game. I'll try to remember to take pictures and to post them.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#852 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 5:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Avalikia
- Island Paradise Other Lots:
Port - No requirements, see Rule #5 and Rule #19.
15. If you have Showtime, The Dusty Old Lamp is allowed, but you may not wish for money. A stage may be added to any normally earned Big Park. Stages may be included in any other lot, but the Sim earning the lot must be a level 10 performer in addition to the other requirements. Acrobat, Magician, and Singer are allowed when you have a Big Park with a stage.

19. If you have Island Paradise, Ports do not have to be earned but shouldn't contain anything beyond the port itself, mooring places, bike racks, parking spaces, and minor decor and landscaping. Houseboats have the same rules as regular houses. Lifeguards are allowed when you have a City Hall and at least one beach.

DAMN now i have to restart the whole thing due Port contains a barstool and was "bought"
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#853 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 10:28 PM
Oh, I don't expect you to restart. If anything I suggest simply switching to the official ruleset at a convenient point and letting what you've already done just be. You shouldn't be punished just because I got Island Paradise months after everyone else.
Test Subject
#854 Old 4th Jan 2014 at 12:58 AM Last edited by ogamaga : 6th Jan 2014 at 7:03 PM.
Hi, I have some questions regarding various lots and rules, mostly clarification.
- University Life Rabbitholes:
Administration Center - Buy (not partner) the rabbithole (no skill requirement). ($150,000)
School of Art - Maxed Cooking or Mixology, Any Instrument, and Painting or Street Art and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($70,000)
School of Business - Maxed Charisma, Writing, and Social Networking and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($80,000)
School of Science - Maxed Gardening, Logic, and Inventing or Science and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($140,000)
Stadium and Annex - Maxed Athletics and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($115,000)

- University Life Other Lots:
Arcade - Max Jock Group and must purchase the lot.
Java Hut - Max Gardening and Cooking and must purchase the lot.
Nerd Shop - Max Nerd Group and must purchase the lot.
Rebel Hangout - Max Rebel Group and must purchase the lot.
Student Union - Max all three Social Groups (no money requirement).
University Hangout - Maxed Charisma and must purchase the lot.

-snip-
- Into the Future Rabbitholes:
Observatory - Maxed Advanced Technology, Logic, and Athletics and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($190,000)
Bot Arena - Maxed Bot Building and Charisma, and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($115,000)
Bookstore/Spa Combo - Maxed Writing, and buy (not partner) the rabbithole. ($80,000)
Hospital/Science Lab Combo - Maxed Logic, Gardening, Handiness, and Fishing, and buy (not partner) the rabbit hole. ($240,000)

- Into the Future Other Lots:
Bot Emporium - Maxed Bot Building, and must purchase the lot.
Cafeteria - Maxed Advanced Technology, and must purchase the lot.
Gallery Shop - Maxed Advanced Technology, and must purchase the lot.
Business Park - Must earn a Legacy Statue, and must purchase the lot.
Wasteland - Maxed Bot Building (no money requirement).
Future Lounge - Maxed Charisma, must earn a Legacy Statue, and must purchase the lot.
Dried Up Beach - Maxed Laser Rhythm (no money requirement).

Where do these requirements apply? Especially the Uni Life Rabbitholes, given that going to University disqualifies a sim from earning a lot.
3. No cheating! Especially by doing anything that helps with skilling and money - that's kind of the whole point of the thing. Generally speaking, mods/objects that make your game run better are okay, while mods/objects that make actually playing the game easier are not. Fixing bugs is never considered cheating - do what you have to in order to save your game. See below for a list of mods that people have asked about and my response. All mods that actually make it harder are always allowed.

Is it the usage or the intended purpose that matters? An example is NRAAS Master Controller Cheats module, could be used to cheat, or make stuff harder such as simulating regular payments beyond bills. It can also replace the familyFunds code for removing NPC money and be used to limit incoming skill levels.
18. If you have University Life, any Sims who go to the university are disqualified from earning any community lots. Sims who have already earned a community lot for you suffer no penalties. Roommates are allowed, but at minimum they must be assigned their own bed. And if you lock them out of part of the house, they must be granted a similar space of their own. For example, if you lock them out of your private bathroom, then they must be provided with a private bathroom of their own.

Does the lack of mention mean no limits on the Sim Finder and Relationship Transmogrifier features of social networking?
Field Researcher
#855 Old 5th Jan 2014 at 3:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Wyldhawke
Hey, I've been working on a spreadsheet for a while showing all lot types, their costs (and upgrade requirements), as well as what it takes to unlock them in a NiF challenge...

you are an angel thank you so much, this is so helpful!!!(!!!)
Test Subject
#856 Old 5th Jan 2014 at 9:58 PM
Originally Posted by Wyldhawke
Hey, I've been working on a spreadsheet for a while showing all lot types, their costs (and upgrade requirements), as well as what it takes to unlock them in a NiF challenge...

This is a lifesaver, but I don't see where on the spreadsheet the information on the costs of the lots.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#857 Old 8th Jan 2014 at 11:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ogamaga
Where do these requirements apply? Especially the Uni Life Rabbitholes, given that going to University disqualifies a sim from earning a lot.

I think that the part that may be confusing is the difference between the main world and those you can travel to - meaning the university or the future (or any of the vacation locations in WA, for that matter). These requirements only apply to the main world only and not these travel locations - especially since it would be hard not to accidentally break something in the process of trying to edit them. So you only need to, for example, earn an Observatory if you want to place one in your main world. You don't need to do anything special to use the one in the future (except for meeting the requirements to visit the future in the first place).

Is it the usage or the intended purpose that matters?

It's the intended purpose that matters. I don't care if you have a mod installed that you could use to cheat as long as you don't use it to cheat, especially if you're using it for other functions that are perfectly acceptable.

Does the lack of mention mean no limits on the Sim Finder and Relationship Transmogrifier features of social networking?

Unless I later change my mind, yes. But do refer to Optional Rule #2.
Test Subject
#858 Old 10th Jan 2014 at 12:48 AM
I think that the part that may be confusing is the difference between the main world and those you can travel to - meaning the university or the future (or any of the vacation locations in WA, for that matter). These requirements only apply to the main world only and not these travel locations - especially since it would be hard not to accidentally break something in the process of trying to edit them. So you only need to, for example, earn an Observatory if you want to place one in your main world. You don't need to do anything special to use the one in the future (except for meeting the requirements to visit the future in the first place).

It's the intended purpose that matters. I don't care if you have a mod installed that you could use to cheat as long as you don't use it to cheat, especially if you're using it for other functions that are perfectly acceptable.

Unless I later change my mind, yes. But do refer to Optional Rule #2.

Thank you.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#859 Old 10th Jan 2014 at 3:19 AM
You're welcome! n.n
Scholar
#860 Old 12th Jan 2014 at 1:41 AM
I have started again and gotten the farthest ever. I'm using the old original rules with a few twists here and there. And I am still building one house per completed project and moving the whole family -1 to the new house. Right now I am working on gen4 and have 12 lots unlocked and working on several more. If I come near finishing (or my game gets too buggy) I MAY try the LTW one. But I like the simplicity of the original ones -- less stuff to remember or refer to on a sheet.
Test Subject
#861 Old 14th Jan 2014 at 11:15 PM
Hello, I recently got Island Paradise & Into the Future and decided to continue doing this challenge (it's great, although I haven't actually managed to get very far before starting a new one :P). What I noticed was, that PlumBots can very easily max skills if you give them the proper chip. This seems rather cheaty to me: PlumBots are cheap and quick to make (you can just make a PlumBot, give it the appropriate chips, buy the lot, remove the chips, sell the PlumBot, make a new one, give it other chips, buy a lot, etc). So I figured there should be some requirement to PlumBots earning lots: the most obvious one is that the PlumBot needs to have the Limitless Learning chip and max the skill through normal skilling.

(Also, warning to any time travelers: If you don't have a hospital and come back with time travel sickness, your sim going to die unless you go back to the future to get to their hospital. This isn't horrible or anything, but probably very annoying if your loading times are slow. There is a lifetime reward to stop that from happening, may want to invest in that.)
Test Subject
#862 Old 15th Jan 2014 at 1:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HekateSIN
Hello, I recently got Island Paradise & Into the Future and decided to continue doing this challenge (it's great, although I haven't actually managed to get very far before starting a new one :P). What I noticed was, that PlumBots can very easily max skills if you give them the proper chip. This seems rather cheaty to me: PlumBots are cheap and quick to make (you can just make a PlumBot, give it the appropriate chips, buy the lot, remove the chips, sell the PlumBot, make a new one, give it other chips, buy a lot, etc). So I figured there should be some requirement to PlumBots earning lots: the most obvious one is that the PlumBot needs to have the Limitless Learning chip and max the skill through normal skilling.

(Also, warning to any time travelers: If you don't have a hospital and come back with time travel sickness, your sim going to die unless you go back to the future to get to their hospital. This isn't horrible or anything, but probably very annoying if your loading times are slow. There is a lifetime reward to stop that from happening, may want to invest in that.)

There no problem in maxing a skill fast, you are trying to build a city, and just because you max that skill doesn't mean you have the money to buy the lot. I haven't tried the PlumBots yet, but just because you find it cheaty doesn't mean others do. You can always add a rule for you. Like some people doesn't like the motive mobile, but some do, I quite like it. I have a rule where only one person is able to get it, and they need to have max out their skills, gotten their LTW, or have over 50K of LTP, sometimes more than 50K.

Didn't know about the time travel sickness, thank you for letting us know. I think I won't let my sim(s) go into the future unless their is an hospital. I also have other requirements for any sim to be able to work on any skills or LTW that have to do with ITF, or to even go.
Test Subject
#863 Old 15th Jan 2014 at 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MissAtlantis
There no problem in maxing a skill fast, you are trying to build a city, and just because you max that skill doesn't mean you have the money to buy the lot. I haven't tried the PlumBots yet, but just because you find it cheaty doesn't mean others do. You can always add a rule for you. Like some people doesn't like the motive mobile, but some do, I quite like it. I have a rule where only one person is able to get it, and they need to have max out their skills, gotten their LTW, or have over 50K of LTP, sometimes more than 50K.

Didn't know about the time travel sickness, thank you for letting us know. I think I won't let my sim(s) go into the future unless their is an hospital. I also have other requirements for any sim to be able to work on any skills or LTW that have to do with ITF, or to even go.

Ah, of course, you're quite right. I just made three PumBots in my game and suddenly I could get about 3 new buildings, easily (although I did still need some more money, didn't occur to me, it was kind of late :P) I suppose, under my reasoning, Mermaid-sims would not be allowed to earn a dive lot (as they insta-max Scuba Diving), but as you said, that would be my rule
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#864 Old 16th Jan 2014 at 7:42 AM
When I originally was looking at Into the Future, at first I was certain that I'd have to put more restrictions on PlumBots, but when I looked at them more carefully I decided that they're less useful than they seem. And, while there's definitely some potential for abuse, managing to work around all the consequences of doing that is actually kind of tricky in the long run. And there's also five bajillion different ways you can limit yourself if you have to, and I figured that was better to leave up to the individual players to decide rather than imposing one rule on everyone. In my game, PlumBots can only earn lots if they are in the present and have a Sentience chip - because in my mind it's the Sentience chip that changes them from being an object into being a Sim. Also, any PlumBot who has earned a lot can never have either their Sentience chip removed, can never have any other chips they used to earn the lot removed (whether Limitless Learning or one of the skill chips), and can't be sold (but can move out). But that's my own, personal rules - I intentionally didn't put them as a part of the challenge because I figured that everyone would rather decide for themselves exactly how to handle them.

Also, in my game not only can mermaids not earn Diving Spots, they aren't allowed into the household at all until I've earned my first Diving Spot. But again that's just a rule for me.
Scholar
#865 Old 23rd Jan 2014 at 8:58 PM
Nah. I don't like it. :-(
Test Subject
#866 Old 24th Jan 2014 at 4:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by morphius1
Nah. I don't like it. :-(

What don't you like?

BTW love your avatar
Scholar
#867 Old 29th Jan 2014 at 8:56 PM Last edited by kewpie : 18th Feb 2014 at 3:52 PM.
I can't remember if I posted this list or not, but here are links to empty towns:

http://www.mysimrealty.com/Sims3_Worlds.html
Scroll down to the bottom and there are six empty worlds. I am currently playing Rosewood Hills. It's quite nice and the larger skyscraper style rabbitholes look really good on the central part of the map. There are a few "cheaty" spawners, but not too bad. There are tons of Dive Spots and places you can build docks. It is updated to Paradise Island.

http://customsims3.com/forums/forum-40.html
There are 13 empty worlds here. 6 of them are originals and 7 of them are EA made, but edited in CAW to keep all the spawners and beautiful vistas.I played Sunset Valley to DEATH.

http://modthesims.info/d/441238 - This is the town of Finnington. The one problem I had was that the lots were really small and there wasn't a lot of room for the larger rabbit holes -- but if you are into the rugs, this would be the place for you. I played this one so many times I have memorized most of the lots. One problem is that there are NO seed spawners. I always placed them myself.

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=480732 - Avalon - This is a medium Fantasy style world. It crashed on my mac, but it played on my PC just fine.

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=421613 Port Jones - it's map only. This means you have to place all of the lots yourself. I don't like doing that, as lot placing seems a bit broken to me in Edit Town mode.

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=389027 - Autumn Falls. Just blow up the Rabbit holes and you are set with a small world that is base game only. There is one section that horses get stuck in near the waterfalls, but otherwise pretty good. This is where I played my first NIF challenge.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=7016943 - Sunset Valley 2 -- This is another one where you have to place your own lots. I played this one to death as well. One problem - the spawners are REALLY sparse. It's almost impossible to find common seeds. There are also no freshwater fish spawners that come with the game. You'll have to place them yourself. But it's totally flat and really easy to play.

http://www.simsdesign.pl/forum/show...9482#post159482 -- I actually DON'T recommend this world. They are way too many spawners and fog emitters. After 2 generations I got serious lag. I am posting this because many people post it as a viable empty world -- it's NOT GOOD for NIF challenges. But it's hauntingly beautiful.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=8000263 Littleton -- I haven't played this but others have. Glowstarsinajar suggested it. It looks like a nice desert Island

.I'll post more as I think of them.
Test Subject
#868 Old 3rd Feb 2014 at 12:49 AM
Thank your Kewpie, I'll have to check these out later.
Field Researcher
#869 Old 17th Feb 2014 at 5:30 AM
To add to kewpie's post, this is the town I'm using for mine. It's a fairly small desert island town.

There are a couple lots assigned to "Small park" "fishing spot" and I believe "gym" but there are no buildings on any of them. All the other lots are assigned residential.

I do like this world's feel and it's very good for building, but know that there are practically no spawners (if any) so gardening is tough to start out. (I used the lettuce that comes in the fridge to get started on the gardening skill, and after that just the seeds that you get when you gain the first gardening skill point.)

When I was playing on my brother's computer, I used an emptied-out Moonlight Falls, which I also really liked.
Scholar
#870 Old 18th Feb 2014 at 3:54 PM
I'm adding links as people post them. I may also go through the thread and look for empty worlds people use. I'm not listing worlds where people blew up the whole town first. I was reluctant to mention Autumn Falls because I blew up the rabbit holes. But it WAS my very first NIF challenge world so I was sentimental.
Field Researcher
#871 Old 1st Mar 2014 at 8:43 PM Last edited by glowstarsinajar : 2nd Mar 2014 at 8:36 AM.
Some pictures of my version of Littleton.

Quote: Originally posted by MissAtlantis
How in the world do some of you make money so fast? I'm almost on week four. Have a child, toddle, and a baby. One finish bedroom, and the kids rooms are not finish yet, and I'm still broke. My sim and her hubby do have complete skill(s) but I can't afford to buy a building yet. Someone please give me some hits.

My starting sim did a lot of fishing. Her husband mostly wrote, and when he got too stressed out he painted. So there was the income from fishing, plus the books to live on. Her husband was substantially older than her, so I saved up all his paintings since the value increases the longer you wait, and after the artist dies they're worth even more. He just died recently, so I sold all his paintings and their household funds went from $26,000 to $85,000 just from that (and they also own two lots).

In the beginning I also had them living on an empty lot with a fire pit, a toilet, and a bed and I didn't build their house until they had enough money to build a nice-ish one. I use archways rather than doors and the free flooring. Then again, I'm not that great at decorating/building and the two houses I've built so far are very simple.
Field Researcher
#872 Old 29th Mar 2014 at 2:14 PM Last edited by LucyBorgia : 30th Mar 2014 at 10:31 AM.
I'm using Willow Wood by Bobblebean from the Sims 3 Exchange - it's a beautiful world, and it fills her aim of feeling like the English countryside. But. Now I have a collection helper, I can see there are too many spawners - I've found 2 soul gems, some super novium, quite a bit of palladium... I don't want to stop playing in it now because I'm enjoying the families and lots I've made! But I wouldn't use it again with so many spawners in it.

I started with Darcie and made her to unlock Lakenheath Air Base & for her spouse to unlock the grocery store - luckily for postie Eric, he had a green thumb when she met him, so he enjoyed spending all his time working on the garden. Sadly, he died of old age before meeting his lifetime wish (that I used his lifetime happiness points to give him) of perfect garden, but he'd maxed gardening so we have Willow Wood Coop which offers fairtrade food at fair prices. And bubble bath.

All 3 of Darcie and Eric's children had an imaginary friend, and of the same gender as themselves. (I don't know if that's usual unless we change their names to be a girls'/boys' name? I've only made 1 other imaginary friend real, so not enough to tell by.) Patches was Edvin's IF and is now married to Maya Wang (who Darcie met when work asked her to go to China and learn SimFu) and they have 3 children and Maya is pregnant again. I made a house for Patches and Maya and unrepentantly used buydebug to add a training dummy to their garden as I had had Darcie buy 1 in China and Patches is disciplined.

Edvin decided to make a graveyard so the late neighbours wouldn't keep haunting the town - Darcie and Eric had asked university mascot Shonda to move in with them but her constant flirtiness got too much so they built her a cottage next door. Later, paparazzi Wendi moved in but her brooding nature made the busy family life no fun and again she built a house and moved out. Her house is still empty.

Darcie has recently moved out of the old house into a new house with her middle child Ove and his wife Pal and their todder Darwin - ~Pal has just reached level 10 of writing so bought out Amberstone Bookshop (an independent retailer staying viable against all the chain bookshops and online retailers!). Pal had a second son and is now pregnant again - Ove is hoping for a girl this time!

Edvin is married to former babysitter Maria-Juana and they have just had triplets of 2 girls and a boy; Darcie and Eric's baby girl Hanne is married to her elder brother's IF Cosmo and they have just moved form the old family home into Shonda's old house in time to have triplet girls.

(This rise in multiple births is not down to the water, but Darcie's leaving the stereos playing kids music after visiting her children. Having achieved her desire for 5 grandchildren, she now hopes to have 10.)

Ove plans to build a school, and has been working hard on charisma and logic with all the networking he's had to do to get the funds to build the school. In between running over town in the rain to find stuff to sell.

I've used rabbithole rugs so far to make the non-residential lots except I used a mausoleum for the graveyard (actually, I don't even know if there is a mausoleum rug or door).

2 questions - I can of course change the names of investable rabbitholes once bought out, so the grocery store & bookstore are what I wanted to call them, but the military base is still 'rabbit hole military base' in game - does anyone know a way I can change it?

And when I build the school, is it all right to add some playground equipment? Or should I keep that till I make a small or large park?

Sorry, another question! Ove had a birthday party as little Aldwin aged to a toddler & we invited paper girl Mandy. She has not left the lot in the 2 days since, which is nice for Darwin as they are now best friends. We feed her by calling everyone to meals & she happily uses the bathroom & sleeps in the igloo. Darwin can't ask her to move in (guessing that's because they're both children), & Ove is now good friends with her but can't ask her either.

Now, I know full well I could easily send her away by resetting her, but would be quite happy to add this poor uncared for child to the household :-D. As I'm typing this, I know what I should do for the challenge - ask her to leave/reset her/leave her living on the lawn till she's old enough to be asked to move in... Except she may not age up properly being a paper girl... If I were story telling properly ie with a blog, I'd use testing cheats to add her to the household to stop the girl being homeless. Hmm...
Lab Assistant
#873 Old 17th May 2014 at 7:30 AM
as i said in my other post, this world was doomed for me and need to restart the challenge due corruption...
Test Subject
#874 Old 2nd Jun 2014 at 5:14 PM
This may sound stupid but how do you place things like the town hall when your world is totally empty? I don't see it anywhere in community lots.
Test Subject
#875 Old 3rd Jun 2014 at 2:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Deepfield
This may sound stupid but how do you place things like the town hall when your world is totally empty? I don't see it anywhere in community lots.

You edit a lot and go to build mode, and there's this little building thingy where you can find community lots. Yes it took me forever to figure this out.

Wow!!! Its been forever since I last made a comment or check any updated posts. Like I said before I did start over. So far so good. I have the founder sim, her hubby, and 3 little ones. Both sim (simself) and hubby max out skill(s) so each have one building, and have completed they LTW. I am building my home as I go and I'm using http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/499348.page Its a forum on how to build houses. I'm working on a farm house. To see what I have so far go here http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/750549.page I still need to update it. The house itself needs furniture inside and I need to build one more some house on the lot. Then I'll go for them.

So far only one child have an IF and he is away for school, and the other 2 are either a toddler or baby. My selfie is not pregnant yet, but she going to have at least one more. We are hoping for another boy, but I want another girl as well so might try for multiples.
Page 35 of 39