Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

2018 MTS Calendar Contest - posted on 12th Nov 2017 at 8:48 PM
Replies: 101 (Who?), Viewed: 4777 times.
Page 5 of 5
Mad Poster
#101 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 1:11 PM
Ok-in most mods, there is a flow chart of actions that has to be used in SimPE to make it work properly-using the "True/False" equations. For example, the mod I'm referring to is the "Find Co-workers" phone book: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=598063

Breaking it apart in SimPE, you will find that there is a flow chart for the actions that it uses to make it work. I can't figure out what/how to change it. Hell, I can't even understand it!
Because I was thinking that perhaps if I could make it into a "Find a fellow hobbyists" phone book, using the preset game hobby settings for pixels, it would be a good idea.

Warning-I'm not very experienced at working SimPE-I can do simple text changes, but not a lot more than that. Do you clone the object, replace the object, or what?

That's why I have always appreciated the work modders do to change things like this...really.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Mad Poster
#102 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 2:19 PM
So basically you mean how to read a BHAV. That phone book is relatively advanced coding, not something I'd recommend for a beginner. I would suggest you put that on your "to do when I know how"-list, and do other things for the purpose of learning. Understanding a BHAV is a gradual thing, you don't go from not understanding anything to understanding all of it. At least I've never spoken to anyone that did that. There are still lots of stuff that I don't understand, or struggle to understand. You learn bits and pieces here and there, and gradually understand more complex things.

Some people are tutorial learners, some are poke and prod learners. I'm a poke and prod. I find it hard to learn from tutorials, because I don't have the patience and just copying instructions doesn't teach me much. I dig around, try changing something and seeing what happens, and when it doesn't work, figure out why. I find I learn more from mistakes than I do from things going right. So first figure out what kind of learner you are. Do you prefer tutorials, or do you like to poke and prod? If you like tutorials, head over to the tutorials section and start working on the modding tutorials. If you are more the poke and prod type, I would recommend starting by looking at other peoples mods. Simple ones, mind you. Things like autonomy changes, or little edits making things faster or slower. When reading, don't just look at the list in the BHAV. Click the individual lines in the BHAV, and look on the right side below the Operands-boxes. A lot of things have labels that give clues to what they are, and you'll only see those if you look at the line itself and read below operands-box. Since you are looking at mods you know what they do, you already have the answer on what that code does, which makes it easier to decipher. You reverse engineer the code, trying to piece together what part is responsible for what. Then if you think you understand something, try changing it and see if you get the result you expect, or not (I recommend testing in a separate copy of user files, or an AGS game you don't care about).

I'd also recommend you find yourself someone you can ask questions. Whether it be a specific person, or a forum, at some point you'll need help to get un-stuck and give you a push along your road. It is possible do learn without help, but it takes us a whole lot longer and causes more frustration than it needs to. Modding discussion here on MTS is increasingly active. Leefish also has a forum where questions can be asked. And I hang out on discord in MTS' create chatroom, from time to time, as does lots of other MTS creators that might be able to answer questions. I'm happy to answer questions if I have time, and if it's something I can answer. PMs are okay too, but I prefer discord because my inbox fills up so quickly.

If you have questions on how to use SimPE or WW, you're welcome to PM me.
Page 5 of 5