Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Oct 2010 at 4:26 PM Last edited by justJones : 10th Feb 2014 at 2:53 PM.
Default The Free Will Legacy Challenge
This is a 10-Generation Legacy very similar to a normal legacy, with one twist: free will.

Your founder may be male or female and they may have any traits you want. You have total and complete control over them. It is very fun to begin with your Sim-self, and you'll understand why later. You can have any LTW, any career, any traits.

Just like other Legacies, you will be getting married and producing heirs. Unlike other Legacies, you will NOT be allowed to control the actions of any Sim in your household other than the head of your home, which is your active Gen founder/heir.

It will be like living with NPCs. They will do whatever they want, whenever they want. You will have no control over them at all. There is a short list of exceptions to when you can control them in the rules. However, 99.99% of the time, you will NEVER be allowed to tell them to do ANYTHING. I will refer to your Founder/Heir as your "playable Sim" and everyone else in your household as a "non-playable Sim."

Your playable Sim, at first, is your Founder. They will be the only character you play, and you are allowed to do anything with them. The other people in your home, however, are off-limits. This will be a challenge in many circumstances:

- Money. Sims living autonomously almost never level skills at all. They will have a hard time climbing their career ladders, meaning you won't always be rolling in the dough.
- Babies. Sims living autonomously don't usually take care of their babies. The burden of caring for them will rest almost entirely with you. Watch out for the social worker!
- Traits. Sims living autonomously may or may not do their homework. Having slobs for children may give you some bad traits. When you have the chance to choose traits, you can choose whatever you want. You might not get the choice very often though!
- Housework. Sims living autonomously don't always clean up. Having a maid is allowed, but it costs money, and you may have to do all the housework yourself.

Once your chosen heir becomes a Young Adult, they become your playable Sim. From the moment you select them and tell them to go to the birthday cake, they are your playable Sim. You have now lost control of the playable Sim you have been playing with in your last generation. They have now become a non-playable Sim. Enjoy watching what THEY choose to do with their lives!

Babies require constant care, which is a burden almost entirely on your playable Sim. Once you have taught them how to do something, however, it is THEIR responsibility. They must do it on their own. For instance, once a toddler is potty trained, you are not allowed to send them to the toilet. You must set them down and allow them to go when they are ready. As soon as a Sim becomes a child, they are completely non-playable, as they take care of themselves.

You may move Sims out at will.

Since you only control one Sim, it is like you are living with townies. In this way, it's like real life: you live with your family, but you can't control them. That's why it can be fun to make your Founder your Sim-self, and even name them after you.

No money cheats.

You may control a non-playable Sim ONLY in these circumstances:
1) You can send them to the birthday cake if you choose a party.
2) When a Sim has a birthday, you may send them to the mirror and to the dresser to alter their appearance in CAS. You are allowed to do whatever you want with them there, because after all, you want a cute family. After the changes are done, no more control.
3) When a Sim has their Teen birthday, you MUST give them a part-time job. Preferably do this with the computer so that you don't have to send them out of the house. After they get their job, no more control.
4) When a Sim has their Young Adult birthday, the following rules apply:
a) If they are to be Heir, they are your new playable Sim.
b) If they are a Spare, they may get another job.
5) If a non-playable Sim in your household is currently using an object, and you want your playable Sim to use that object instead, you MAY click on the non-playable Sim and cancel their use of it. You can't tell them to go do something else, but you can cancel that activity. ONLY do this if what they are doing directly interferes with your playable Sim.
6) You may frequently select non-playable Sims and say yes or no to their wishes. After all, sometimes they will fulfill wishes on their own, and it is nice to allow them to do that. No telling them to fulfill wishes, though, and no spending their Lifetime Happiness Points.
7) You are allowed to select from the drop-down menu what a Sim is doing at work and school. Use sparingly.

The game ends when your 10th Generation Sim becomes a Young Adult. You can play them if you want, but it's not necessary.

This Legacy moves at a much faster pace than a typical Legacy because you are only playing with one Sim. You won't have to constantly pause the game to fill up everyone's action bars. However, just because it's not a normal Legacy, doesn't mean you shouldn't take lots of screenshots of everyone and write a Legacy journal. I tested this concept before I posted it here, and hilarity ensues SO often when Sims are completely autonomous. Be prepared for laughs.

Happy Simming!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 10:53 AM
I want to do this challenge. One question though, are you able to let your playable sim go to the park and then click to take someone with him? I ask this as mine never venture out unless I tell them to. I bet there would be plenty of laughs. I daresay too that it would be much more relaxed to play. I am going to give it a go now, but I am still doing the LTW challenge, but it will be nice to have another going to ring the changes.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 1:52 PM
Awesome! I am playing this with a more challenging Legacy as well.

Usually if a Sim gets a job and always goes, they will not get the Stir Crazy moodlet. They are also pretty good about chatting with other people in the household to keep their Social meter high. I think that taking them with you when you go out is fine. After all, you can do that with townies and it's not considered "controlling" them. A good rule of thumb is, if I can do this to a townie, I can do it to my non-playable characters.
Test Subject
#4 Old 28th Oct 2010 at 2:30 PM
Thanks for your reply. I found that the uncontrolable sim will only take a nap, but then she sleeps all day. I must say that I am going to do this along with a mixture of challenges. This makes it more interesting. Another thing I did send her to register as self employed I would think this would be OK
Test Subject
#5 Old 10th Nov 2013 at 8:13 PM
Already started one! My family- Claire Montag married a guy named Carl. They have twin girls named Jessy and Lillie. SO MUCH FUN
Test Subject
#6 Old 11th Nov 2013 at 12:43 PM
Can you control your non-playable Sims one time so that they will choose a career?
Test Subject
#7 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 9:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by queenkitty
Can you control your non-playable Sims one time so that they will choose a career?
yes u can. It is explained in the rules
Test Subject
#8 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 9:34 PM
Playing the challenge. My child sims is out rake the leaves and is getting quite cold. She can come inside but didint. Now the child protection service has taken her away! Stupid child with not putting on the outer ware I chose for her. Still quite amusing.