Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Daily Save Mod

by temptest Posted 1st Oct 2014 at 3:46 AM - Updated 1st Oct 2014 at 3:48 AM by temptest : Hashtag update

59 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 28 Feedback Posts, 30 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#2 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 1:06 PM
Thank you, Don't have to press the save button the whole time =)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 1:37 PM
Well, thank god for this. Now it'll save even when I forget to save. Tired of starting stuff over.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 2:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackJill
Well, thank god for this. Now it'll save even when I forget to save. Tired of starting stuff over.

Note that this does not, by itself, save a backup when you exit the game (I will look into that later, no idea how to do it currently), so can still lose up to 24h of sim-time.

This could hurt especially when you did a lot of stuff in build mode and quit immediately after that.

Also, just to be extremely clear and clear up any possible confusion - this saves on different slots than the in-game autosave.

All in all, I mostly wanted to handle two scenarios here: game crashes and messing up your home by accident and reverting.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#5 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 3:47 PM
I'm SO glad there's an autosave mod now! Which slots does it save to? I wouldn't want to have one of my current games overwritten.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 4:03 PM
it's a great mod but i need a little more clarification about the slots, like what difference it makes if we just have 1 instead of 7?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 4:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AstralRadiance
I'm SO glad there's an autosave mod now! Which slots does it save to? I wouldn't want to have one of my current games overwritten.

It saves on slots over the 65 thousand range, the files start at the file Slot_00010001.save.

Bottom line is - unless you have like 65 thousand saves on the list, this won't interfere with your own saved games.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by christmas fear
it's a great mod but i need a little more clarification about the slots, like what difference it makes if we just have 1 instead of 7?

If you set it to 3 slots, for example, it will save every day in this order:

Slot_00010001.save
Slot_00010002.save
Slot_00010003.save
Slot_00010001.save (overwritten, but Sims 4 will copy the older version as Slot_00010001.save.ver0)

So basically, with the slots you get to control how many days back you can go if something foes wrong.

Sims 4 will keep up to 5 versions of each "overwritten" slot as .ver0...4, but to access those, you would need to rename them yourself.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 4:25 PM
ohh okay thank you!

one more thing, when you said at most we can lose up to 24 hours of play, you mean if the game saves at 5 am but it crashes at 4 am right?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 6:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by christmas fear
one more thing, when you said at most we can lose up to 24 hours of play, you mean if the game saves at 5 am but it crashes at 4 am right?

Correct, it never interferes with your own saves. Also note that it's 24 *sim* hours, not real world hours.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#11 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 8:34 PM
Great. I was waiting for something like this
Test Subject
#12 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by temptest
Bottom line is - unless you have like 65 thousand saves on the list, this won't interfere with your own saved games.

Only 65 thousand? Aww, crap. I guess I'll have to use a different mod. (J/k! Thanks for the clarification, and thanks even more for the mod! ^^)
Mad Poster
#13 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 1:16 AM
If our game crashed at 6 am for example, and it had just saved at 5 am, does the mod create a new save file we have to load up? Or does it automatically load the save when we go back into the game and press play? I'm also trying to figure out if this is working with the newest patch
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#14 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 3:30 AM
I have been waiting since I got the game for an auto save mod. Thanks!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#15 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 3:30 AM
I seen this and thought "oh, I don't need this, I'll just manually hit the save button myself." Then I play for four RL hours today, without saving, and the game crashes. Yeahhh, I think I'm gonna go ahead and download this, thank you very much.
Test Subject
#16 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 9:19 AM
This is an awesome mod, almost like NRaas' Saver! I have couple suggestions:

0. Daily save setting seem to be global when a save game is loaded. But when I exited to main menu and loaded a daily save, daily saves were disabled. Daily save state should be saved with the slot (or original save name, see next item).

1. Let's say I have a save called "Writer's Block" and I activate daily saves for it. The save names are "Backup save 0...n". Then I start another game called "Irish Legacy" and activated daily saves. It wrote over "Backup Save 0". Because the game knows what slot to save in, you should get the save name from there and add the counter after the name. If the save name is too long, name should be shortened by the length of the max counter value +1 for space (2 chars for 1-9 slots, 3 chars for 10-99 slots, and so on).

2. Saver prompted for a name for the save if game hadn't been saved. Because of autosave feature game is save already after starting household has been created. At daily save activation a save name could be prompted if save name is a default one.

3. A slot with different original save name shouldn't be overwritten.

Keep on great work! This is a great start for your mod!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#17 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 10:21 AM
Again... Take that, EA! XD
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 1:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by monksims
0. Daily save setting seem to be global when a save game is loaded. But when I exited to main menu and loaded a daily save, daily saves were disabled. Daily save state should be saved with the slot (or original save name, see next item).

If the saves were disabled it is definitely a bug, and I will fix it ASAP - thanks for bringing it to my attention!

However, the global nature of the setting is by design, because there's room for a lot of unexpected behavior when we want to track per-slot. What happens when you overwrite a slot? What if you delete a slot and save a new game there? Maybe this will change, but currently I don't know how to keep my mod data inside the save itself, so there's tradeoffs, and I'd rather have it be consistent.

The main problem is that it's hard to reliably know which slot / game you're currently playing, so until I figure that out, it uses the same rotating buffer for all games. So for example - if you're playing "Writer's Block" and it's set to 7 slots, and saves 10 times, you're on daily save slot 3, then when you load "Irish Legacy", the next autosave that game makes should go into daily save slot 4. And yeah, eventually it will overwrite slot 3... which I don't want, either! Just bear with me while I try to figure out a way to handle this.

I will try to use your save name if it's available, but I'm not sure how to get it... yet.

Again, think of this as a crash protection for now, not a comprehensive save history manager. But that's to come.
Test Subject
#19 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 4:20 PM
If the saves were disabled it is definitely a bug, and I will fix it ASAP - thanks for bringing it to my attention!

My pleasure.

However, the global nature of the setting is by design, because there's room for a lot of unexpected behavior when we want to track per-slot. What happens when you overwrite a slot? What if you delete a slot and save a new game there?

Saving over a slot happens on a normal save every time, so you (or the player) wouldn't have to worry about it because of the normal save process. Deleting a save slot is a matter of the player and it should happen normally using the game UI.

The main problem is that it's hard to reliably know which slot / game you're currently playing, so until I figure that out, it uses the same rotating buffer for all games. ...

I will try to use your save name if it's available, but I'm not sure how to get it... yet.

Well, the session should know it because when saving manually it uses the same slot that was used in the latest manual load/save. THAT'S AWESOME! The big question is where lies the session data?

I looked at services.persistence_service.pyo.py after building up game's unoptimized python files. I haven't done any coding in python but the line
SaveGameData = collections.namedtuple('SaveGameData', ('slot_id', 'slot_name', 'force_override', 'auto_save_slot_id'))
might have some answers where to find the slot that has been used last. It's being used to initialize class' variable _save_game_data_proto with serialization.SaveGameData().

I looked at collections.namedtuple (in base/lib/collections/__init__.py). The function namedtuple seems to be used getting values for a key-value pair. Maybe collections.namedtuple('SaveGameData', ('slot_id')) would get the slot number and slot_name the save name?

Again, think of this as a crash protection for now, not a comprehensive save history manager. But that's to come.

Of course. As I told already you've made a really nice mod.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#20 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 12:23 PM
Thank you !!!!! :)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 5:01 AM
Thank You so Much Too many times we have played for a few hours and forgot to save then it will crash loosing all our work

Again Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 4th Oct 2014 at 7:13 AM
Thankyou so much :)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#23 Old 5th Oct 2014 at 10:36 PM
I can't thank you enough for this.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#24 Old 6th Oct 2014 at 5:07 PM
Thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#25 Old 8th Oct 2014 at 10:48 AM
Best mod ever! Just remember whenever you change location you have to re-set the mod. I usually change the daily_save time three times a day, just because it saves but doesn't crash as often as when I do menu saves.
Page 1 of 3