Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Oct 2016 at 9:56 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Scarred Landscape
I don't know whether this happens in other people's games. Where a lot has dips in the landscape, the surrounding landscape is scarred white. You can see it in Veronaville, round the Summerdreams' house. In my neighbourhood I built a park with a large lake, and when I went out to the neighbourhood, there was a broad white scar around it.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 6th Oct 2016 at 10:15 PM
What's happening here is that the lake you've created in the lot, is making the neighborhood terrain dip below the neighborhood water-level. What you can do is either get rid of the lake, or put the lot in a place where the neighborhood terrain isn't so low. If there isn't a spot for that you can use the cheat "modifyneighborhoodterrain on" (without the quotes), select a piece of land by dragging the mouse over an area (the selection will be green), and use the "[" or "]" key to elevate the land a little. Then place the lot on the elevated land.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 6th Oct 2016 at 11:07 PM
Your hood maybe very close to the water table and any ponds/lakes or basements will do this if so.

You can use the cheats to bring it up some if you like.

Quote:
modifyNeighborhoodTerrain [on/off] To Modify Nhood terrain use these: [ = Raise, ] =lower, \ =level, p =Smooth terrain

More cheats codes at Snooty Sims http://www.snootysims.com/thesims2index.php?id=cheats

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Inventor
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 8:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NikNak513
What's happening here is that the lake you've created in the lot, is making the neighborhood terrain dip below the neighborhood water-level. What you can do is either get rid of the lake, or put the lot in a place where the neighborhood terrain isn't so low. If there isn't a spot for that you can use the cheat "modifyneighborhoodterrain on" (without the quotes), select a piece of land by dragging the mouse over an area (the selection will be green), and use the "[" or "]" key to elevate the land a little. Then place the lot on the elevated land.

I'm using the Belladonna Cove template, which doesn't seem to have any suitable areas. If I remove the lake, I can indeed use modifyneighborhoodterrain to repair the landscape; but wherever I set down the lake, another white scar appears. It looks as though I will have to do without fishing in this neighborhood. Thanks for your sympathy.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 11:46 AM Last edited by gazania : 7th Oct 2016 at 12:15 PM.
There are also some neighborhood ground overlays in the neighborhood decor area ... I think they're in the Miscellaneous (three dots) section ... that you can place near the spot to tint that area near the lot a little. I have the same problem with a custom hood terrain I'm using. The creator made the terrain lower to better-accommodate beach lots, but if you put any sort of pond in your lots in many parts of the terrain, you'll get that bleached area. (You'll also get flooded basements if you use lots with basements.) I found that if I messed around with the modifyterrain cheat, once I put the lot back in there, I got the bleached part again. Occasionally, if I got frustrated and accidentally over-sculpted the terrain, I couldn't use any lots at all. Then when I got the terrain back to where I could use lots, I got the bleached landscape problem once again.

What I've been doing is using a custom or Maxis lawn terrain paint in the lot and tinting the area outside of it with the overlay. It isn't a 100% perfect match. The tinted area will be slightly different from the unaffected landscape, as well as the terrain inside the lots. Also, you might have a little trouble if you want to put your lots very closely together in certain areas; specifically, if you want to create an urban landscape. I found both problems to be minor, however. And in the long run, I think the overall effect with the overlays looks much better. At least that bleached area doesn't stick out!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 5:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by music2ologist
I'm using the Belladonna Cove template, which doesn't seem to have any suitable areas. If I remove the lake, I can indeed use modifyneighborhoodterrain to repair the landscape; but wherever I set down the lake, another white scar appears. It looks as though I will have to do without fishing in this neighborhood. Thanks for your sympathy.

Get my hood called "The Beginning of Belladonna" http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=523336 and use Mootilda's Hood Replacer program on it for I have raise the it up some to avoid that or make a new hood with Belladonna Cove template and raise it up then use Mootilda's program to replace yours with it.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Nov 2016 at 2:30 AM Last edited by gazania : 18th Jan 2017 at 7:19 PM.
Deleted my last two posts because quite frankly, I was incorrect.

I had orignally suggested using terrain paint over the beachy area. That works ... in neighborhood view. But it doesn't do squat in lot view. You get nice beachy bits.

i find that NikNak513 was correct ... you do have to elevate the area slightly. But sometimes, that doesn't work, or if you move the lot to fix the terrain, you get ... a mess. THAT area goes beachy on you while you move the lot.

This is what I would suggest if you're trying this in an established hood (so you don't want to start over):

1. Back up your hood first, in case you really screw up. I even make a copy of the template in a test hood, and try messing around in there. Maxis has most of its hood templates in a list.

2. Now try the lot.

3. If you're getting beachy bits, try the following:
a. Elevate slightly and and flatten the ground, per NikNak513. SLIGHTLY is the key here. Do it too rapidly, and you'll be fixing areas you don't want to fix.
b. Be careful about putting water right up to the edge of the lot if your terrain is prone to beachy bits. Often, that will cause sandy areas. You might fix that on the sides by putting lots on either side and adding terrain. But if you have a beachy area behind your lot and no place to put a lot, you can have a mess.
c. Don't make the water too deep. I found I got weird blue stuff in my lakes. (See picture on left and note the lighter blue areas.) The trick is to do just enough to get the fish, but not enough to get the blue stuff, which indicates your water is going below terrain level.

4. If you're using a test hood, now try this on your real hood. Remember that if you really muck up, you have your backup.

(I'm now HOPING that in a moment of stupidity, I didn't put a fixed played prototype of a lot in my lot bin. It's a community lot, so it's not AS much of a worry, and I bullldozed all variatons of this lot before I played any Sims. I don't think I moved this lot into the bin. I'm about 90% sure I used a fresh packaged lot. That's kind of hammered in my mind!. But a Hoodchecker session probably wouldn't hurt. So off I go!)
Screenshots

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.