Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 12:05 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Graphics Issue: Some bits "blink"
Watch this video to see what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuRMWqrbST4
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 12:52 PM
It looks to me as if a graphic card had a very hard time processing everything...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 2:00 PM
Any to fix the issue?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 2:08 PM
Well it depends, is your card new? is it old..is it working properly..is it dying on you?...
I had similar issues on my old computer. Integrated graphic chip slowly dying, because asked too much from Sims games.

Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 13th Apr 2017 at 2:31 PM
The blinking can usually be fixed by toggling your smooth edges setting in the ingame graphics option - turn it on if it's off, and off if it's on.

Is the shakiness also happening ingame or is that just the video?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st May 2017 at 8:31 PM
Smooth edges? I only see a slider "less - more" and it is greyed out.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st May 2017 at 8:51 PM
^ Smooth edges greyed out can mean your card (or the card the game is associated with, if you have more than one card) either isn't properly recognized, or doesn't support smooth edges, which may mean the card isn't powerful enough to run the game with good graphics. Flickering can be a sign of the same.

Weaker integrated cards (particularly in laptops with dual cards) often don't support smooth edges, and can also throw other graphic issues at you.

Maybe list the computer specs, including which card you have?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 7:04 PM
Intel(R) HD Graphics
Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 8:24 PM
We need way more info than just "Intel(R) HD Graphics", what card/onboard it is in that what number is it.

If this is a laptop then provide type and make/model and we can look it up for you if you don't know how.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 1st Jun 2017 at 10:59 PM
The fact that it's Intel and smooth edges are greyed out and it's flicking, I would say your chip is in trouble. Sims really needs a proper graphic card but can play fine on the latest chips that are powerful enough that smooth edges are on. Dust out your lap top, use a cooling pad, turn all your graphics down, don't play too long, remove all high polly CC. Chips can melt taking your motherboard with it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 3:44 PM
Sorry for the necro, you mean it might kill my laptop?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 4:49 PM
It's possible - we'd need to know what kind of Intel chip you have first, and whether or not you also have a switchable graphics card. Do you know how to find that out?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 7:00 PM
I don't.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 7:20 PM
SneakyWingPhoenix, can you find the Device Manager? Then look under Display Adapters, it should have the info there.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 9:39 PM
Do you provide driver details or something?
Mad Poster
#16 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 9:57 PM
Control panel/Device manager/Display Adapters.
Once you double click on Display Adapters, you'll have a scroll down list, showing you a card, if one is there.

me has NVIDIA card.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 12:27 PM
Default so?
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Intel(R) HD Graphics

and what now?
Mad Poster
#18 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 7:53 PM
Oh, dear Right click on that and see if there is more info under properties or perhaps details?

I don't know much about the card and graphic issues really, but I would turn down all the settings under graphic options to medium in the game and see if it makes a difference?

In the meantime, click on the driver update as well and see if there is one, that may help (I don't know much about the card, but it can't hurt to try)
Mad Poster
#19 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 8:52 PM
Sounds like you've got an on-board graphics chip. Those aren't really good for gaming. Anyways, for identifying, does Speccy (free download) say anything different?

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Helptato
#20 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 8:58 PM
Intel graphics aren't really meant for gaming with. I've had success with smaller games with much less demanding graphics, but I'm afraid TS2 really needs a more meaty graphics card.

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Mad Poster
#21 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 9:43 PM
Nah, Intel has a couple of gaming cards and such, although I'd rather go with AMD or NVIDIA. Any sort of integrated/on-board chips - no.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#22 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 9:45 PM
A good graphics card can be expensive, though. T

On the other hand, the game does run - so I would still recommend turning the options to medium or even to low to see if it stops blinking, at least for the time being.

I don't know if a card can be added to the laptop, it may have a slot for one.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 11:51 PM
I eventually ended up having to buy my Radeon HD 6670 graphics card from Newegg.com and paid a local computer shop to install it (keep in mind I have a desk top, I don't know if graphic cards can be installed in laptops.) My Intel HD Graphics chip was showing many signs of not being able to handle the game.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#24 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 12:42 AM Last edited by Nysha : 4th Aug 2017 at 6:45 PM.
Intel doesn't make graphics cards - they do have some integrated chips which are okay for gaming, especially for low-demand games like TS2. If you're looking at Intel chips, you want to be looking at the 3000 series or newer for gaming.

Most laptops can't have a graphics card added; if OP wanted to upgrade they'd have to buy a new laptop.

That said, it should still be possible to use the graphicsrules maker to force the game to enable smooth edges, which would allow OP to fix their flickering issue. They'd just have to be judicious about it, and not whack other settings up just because they can.

Mad Poster
#25 Old 2nd Aug 2017 at 1:40 AM
Oh, crap, yeah--I misremembered the Intel thing.

@Orilon - huh, after my video card blew up, my local shop put in a Radeon 6450 card. Some laptops can handle graphics cards, but I'd much rather go with a desktop - the thought of a bunch of parts that can easily overheat being crammed together in a case with little airflow makes me nervous.

Page 1 of 2