Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 31st Jan 2021 at 1:49 PM
Thanks for this. Been planning on switching my laptop to Manjaro for a while now, since I'm soooo done with this slow and slower, frequently crashing Windows 10. It's like setting up a new computer every time they do a major update without my knowledge. Knowing I can still sim is a huge incentive to go ahead and start the migration. Games are the only reason I have Windows still, anyway.

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#27 Old 1st Feb 2021 at 9:25 AM
Can't believe this thread is still getting replies ngl :b but I'm glad it is!

Manjaro's an excellent choice, great for playing the game. But as with all Linux distros, be careful about what Windows programs that you can use on Manjaro. As a simmer, off the top of my head, SimPE, Photoshop, Compressorizor, Hoodchecker, HoodReplace both work fine. Sims 2 Pack Clean Installer is one app that takes a LOT of patience to get working tbh
Test Subject
#28 Old 1st Mar 2021 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by redandvidya
As a simmer, off the top of my head, SimPE, Photoshop, Compressorizor, Hoodchecker, HoodReplace both work fine

That's great to hear! I'm just about to switch to Linux...do you know if those also work on the Pop distro? Additionally, would my system being eight or so years old prevent anything from working? For example, VirtualBox - at least, when I tried it - is incompatible.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 9th Apr 2021 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by beyondsight
That's great to hear! I'm just about to switch to Linux...do you know if those also work on the Pop distro? Additionally, would my system being eight or so years old prevent anything from working? For example, VirtualBox - at least, when I tried it - is incompatible.
"Will something work on this system and OS" is more of a technical support question than a game question. With that said, I'm running TS2 on a low-end computer model that I later learned was prevalent in corporate environments about 10 years ago, with an OS designed for use on lower-specification computers.

Since I've been using Linux for a very long time, I've learned that sometimes you just have to try things out to see if they work. And if they work, do they work as intended.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 20th Apr 2021 at 11:00 PM
I can't seem to get the Sims 2 to run without being choppy and laggy, especially in neighborhood view and on larger lots.

I am on Arch Linux, with an NVIDIA GeForce 1050 ti, 16GB of RAM. I have the Ultimate Collection.
Scholar
#31 Old 21st Apr 2021 at 1:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Spazmunki13
I can't seem to get the Sims 2 to run without being choppy and laggy, especially in neighborhood view and on larger lots.

I am on Arch Linux, with an NVIDIA GeForce 1050 ti, 16GB of RAM. I have the Ultimate Collection.

did you proceed with each necessary step to make the game playable on modern hardware (it's the same as in the Windows)?

Making game recognize the GPU and adding the necessary fixes should help themselves. Then you can also tinker the Lutris options or directly (if not installed via Lutris) editing the status of wineprefix if you feel in need of. If you're running the Arch I suppose you know what you're doing anyway.

I have had no problems with the game (old Thinkpad T450 with only HD5500) and the tools, though the last to install needs some tinkering to place them correctly in the current game's wineprefix. Occasionally it stutters a bit - especially if there's heavy snow overlay on the screen and sometimes in the max speed mode - but I did experience the same behaviour of the program while running it on Windows 7. Limiting the FPS helps a bit for this - the game sometimes behaves weirdly with powerful (proportionally ofc) hardware, well its an old program.

Have fun and sim well

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 21st Apr 2021 at 3:02 PM Last edited by Spazmunki13 : 22nd Apr 2021 at 12:33 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
did you proceed with each necessary step to make the game playable on modern hardware (it's the same as in the Windows)?

Making game recognize the GPU and adding the necessary fixes should help themselves. Then you can also tinker the Lutris options or directly (if not installed via Lutris) editing the status of wineprefix if you feel in need of. If you're running the Arch I suppose you know what you're doing anyway.

I have had no problems with the game (old Thinkpad T450 with only HD5500) and the tools, though the last to install needs some tinkering to place them correctly in the current game's wineprefix. Occasionally it stutters a bit - especially if there's heavy snow overlay on the screen and sometimes in the max speed mode - but I did experience the same behaviour of the program while running it on Windows 7. Limiting the FPS helps a bit for this - the game sometimes behaves weirdly with powerful (proportionally ofc) hardware, well its an old program.

Have fun and sim well

I applied the 4GB patch and edited my Graphics Rules and Video Cards, but I think Lutris is somehow spoofing my GPU, because the game's log see my GPU as a different model. I've played around with the Lutris options, using gamemode, emulating desktop, etc.

The game runs, it's just laggy enough to not be enjoyable.

EDIT: It seems to be an issue with the newer versions of Wine. I switched to Wine 5.2 and it seems to be working much better now! :D
Field Researcher
#33 Old 20th May 2021 at 11:17 AM
Thank you for this guide, I've recently started using Ubuntu on a new PC, and I'd like to try this.

However, how should I create a new user for Wine? Does it have to be done before installing Wine?
Important note:
for the games in general and especially wine games *make a new user* install and play as that user. Wine works with users' right, which means that if something goes bad, like you run some rogue code, the potential damage can be dealt only to that particular user data. There are no "viruses"* on Linux but with wine you *can* execute Windows code, including any malicious one. So keep you working user safe.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 18th Jul 2021 at 4:39 PM
em... before it will roll out of control;

if you want to jump onto happy *ux train do not do this blindly. You'll be disappointed, frustrated and quickly join crowd crying "linux sucks". Try some distribution as virtual machine 1st or live USB/CD. It's not a Windows, it's not like a Windows, it never was and never will be. Get yourself a bit more comfortable with the basics, read/view some tutorials first. Then try on the metal (aka: real machine).

While Ubuntu and its flawors is OK - it's a big family with rather friendly crowd it also has some design decision which may turn the newcomer away. Other possible options for the starters:
Linux Mint: https://linuxmint.com/ (Debian->Ubuntu branch)
Manjaro: https://manjaro.org/ (Arch branch)
MX Linux: https://mxlinux.org/ (Debian->Ubuntu branch)

Mint and MX are LTS (stable Long Term Release) which means they put stability and safety before newest drivers and software - the ultranew hardware may work not very well with them. Manjaro is RS (Rolling Release) - the best performance, the newest drivers and tendency to break from time to time. All are friendly for Windows' emigrants. Usually I direct the new users to Mint 1st.

Now - in regard to the game.
Origin tends to breaks itself in Linux, well in Windows too. Have that in mind. You deal with EA, which means you deal with serious level of incompetence. Like revoking rights to write into its own directory (yeah... Origin in full glory).

Lutris is very convenient wrapper, especially for the better performance, because of lot of options for DXVK/Gallium, prebuilt wine sets, and its "installer" scripts especially if you have games on Steam or Origin etc., but not always the best choice, there's also PlayOnLinux (another wrapper). POL is better for certain older games.
The games themselves works perfectly fine (aside normal mess with not recognized GPUs), even with mediocre hardware. Because of (in general) superior memory and CPU management they may work even better than in Windows as long as they're (like Sims 3) mostly CPU-bond.

Important note:
for the games in general and especially wine games *make a new user* install and play as that user. Wine works with users' right, which means that if something goes bad, like you run some rogue code, the potential damage can be dealt only to that particular user data. There are no "viruses"* on Linux but with wine you *can* execute Windows code, including any malicious one. So keep you working user safe.

*there're trojans and other funny stuff but theirs attack vectors are servers not desktops in general.

I find Elementary OS is a good starting point for Mac users :p
Field Researcher
#35 Old 14th Sep 2021 at 3:17 PM
I switched from Ubuntu to Manjaro KDE (its file manager, dolphin, is fantastic with lots of control, much better for me than the one in Ubuntu), installed and it works good so far on a PC with Ryzen 5 4650g and integrated graphics, I don't even have the square shadow issue that was on my old win7 laptop.

I managed to even install sim2pack files, but with Clean installer, as double clicking with default Package installer doesn't seem to work. SimPE also doesn't work for me, it says it will shutdown due to an unhandled exception... Does it need to have .NET and other things installed separately? Would someone share their experience with it, if it can work?
Test Subject
#36 Old 26th Mar 2023 at 11:13 PM
Regarding your issue with installing sim2pack files, I'm not entirely sure about SimPE's system requirements. But, based on my experience, some applications do need additional dependencies like NET to work correctly. Perhaps you could try installing .NET and other prerequisites and see if that helps solve the issue? Also, if you're looking for an alternative operating system, you might want to check out centos 7 . I recently came across an article that says its lifecycle has been extended until 2024, so it could be an excellent choice for those who prioritize stability and long-term support..
Test Subject
#37 Old 18th Jul 2023 at 10:22 PM
I have played Sims 1, Sims 3, and Sims 4 on Slackware64 Linux for several years. With the older versions of WINE, it was a bit of work. With the newer ones, I've had fewer problems. However, be prepared to use winetricks to install some libraries.
Test Subject
#38 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 12:09 PM
Hoodchecker threw errors on ubuntu, I managed to get it to work. If you faced the same issue, don't click on your hood's name like you usually do, instead, open hoodname.package file through the "browse" button in hoodchecker.
Page 2 of 2