Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#26 Old 10th Jun 2020 at 4:46 PM
I'm currently trying to get some WIPs into finished/released status before continuing work on this, just because the WIPs have started to pile up. There is only one left now, so hopefully I should be able to finish that soon. I have a kind of first draft of the sperm donor mod, but it needs testing and probably additional work.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#27 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 3:14 AM
Update on this: I have finished the sperm donor mod! However, I wanted to do basically the same thing to make it work as it did for Name the Father, I just had it piggyback on the Name the Father hack. As a result, it requires the Name the Father hack, as well as the Name the Father token in order to work. The token is currently packaged with the social plugin, which is not required for the sperm donor mod. I could do one of these three things:

Option 1: Repackage Name the Father so that the token, the hack, and the social plugin are all in separate files and say that the sperm donor mod requires the hack and the token. Pros: Simple for sperm donor mod users, and sperm donor mod users don't have to download the Name the Father social plugin and add a pie menu option to their game if they don't want it. Cons: Confusing for Name the Father users. The social plugin will eventually have to be updated when I release the surrogate mod, at which point anyone who had just the social plugin and hack packages will now have to get the token package as well, or it won't work anymore. If you like this, click agree.

Option 2: Don't repackage Name the Father, but release the Name the Father token as a separate package with the sperm donor mod, to be downloaded by anyone who doesn't already have the Name the Father social plugin package. Pros: No change for Name the Father users, and sperm donor mod users don't have to download the Name the Father social plugin. Cons: Potentially confusing for sperm donor mod users, since the token package will technically be incompatible with the Name the Father social plugin package and they will have to uninstall it if they want to use that mod in the future. If you like this one, click helpful.

Option 3: Don't release a separate token package and just say that the sperm donor mod requires Name the Father. Pros: Clear and easy to understand for everyone. Cons: Sperm donor mod users have to also install Name the Father and have an additional pie menu interaction in their game. If you like this one, click funny.

Thanks in advance.
#28 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 6:09 AM
I like option 3 because it is the simplest one.

I don't use Name the Father, but having an additional pie menu interaction won't bother me if it means I get to use the sperm donor mod (which I am super excited to try!). Isn't the interaction for Name the Father only when a selected pregnant Sim clicks themselves, anyways?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#29 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 6:10 AM
Yes, that's when it appears.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#30 Old 7th Jul 2020 at 9:56 PM
It's released! https://www.modthesims.info/d/644503/sperm-donors.html I'll start work on the surrogate mod tomorrow.
#31 Old 8th Jul 2020 at 3:27 PM
A question about the surrogacy mod: Is there any consequence for the parents if the surrogate dies during the pregnancy?

I know there's a miscarriage mod out there somewhere (I don't use it so I might be wrong about it) and I think there is a negative memory if someone loses their baby. If a pregnant Sim dies, their partner grieves because their significant other died, and you could infer they're sad about the baby too. If a surrogate were to die, the parents wouldn't be super upset because it's not their significant other who died, yet you'd think they should be upset because they lost their baby. This might be difficult to incorporate (I know nothing about modding), and also the chances of this happening are pretty slim anyways.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#32 Old 8th Jul 2020 at 7:40 PM
Yeah, that would be kind of tricky, because I'd have to override all the places where sims could die just to check for surrogate death, which seems like a great way to make the mod incompatible with other stuff. They should get a memory of the death if they were closely related enough to the surrogate, but I think that's it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#33 Old 17th Jul 2020 at 4:17 AM
So, question: in the anomalous circumstance that when the surrogate gives birth, all of the baby's playable parents have died, what should happen? My first thought is that there should then be a dialog where you can choose a playable adult or elder for baby to live with, and that person will also get the PTO (in case the baby has some grandparents or uncles/aunts around that it should logically go to live with). But I have to have a backup plan in case the user cancels the dialog, or if there are for some reason no playable adults or elders other than the surrogate in the neighborhood. One option would be that the surrogate keeps the baby, which would require a special extra memory just for this circumstance - the other option, I think, is to just send the baby to the adoption pool. What do you think?
Mad Poster
#34 Old 17th Jul 2020 at 4:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
So, question: in the anomalous circumstance that when the surrogate gives birth, all of the baby's playable parents have died, what should happen? My first thought is that there should then be a dialog where you can choose a playable adult or elder for baby to live with, and that person will also get the PTO (in case the baby has some grandparents or uncles/aunts around that it should logically go to live with). But I have to have a backup plan in case the user cancels the dialog, or if there are for some reason no playable adults or elders other than the surrogate in the neighborhood. One option would be that the surrogate keeps the baby, which would require a special extra memory just for this circumstance - the other option, I think, is to just send the baby to the adoption pool. What do you think?

I think adoption pool is an option because surrogate was going just to give a birth and not to deal with baby.
Field Researcher
#35 Old 17th Jul 2020 at 9:48 AM
I think it depends on the relationship. If you were carrying a baby for your best friend or brother, and they died, wouldn't you keep it?

Whereas, if you are doing it for money, you'd give it up for adoption.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#36 Old 17th Jul 2020 at 8:06 PM
Maybe I'll just allow the user to also choose the surrogate from the dialog. Would still require a special memory.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 18th Jul 2020 at 8:47 AM
I would totally ruin the mod by having that one surrogate who tries to run off with the baby. XD
Field Researcher
#38 Old 18th Jul 2020 at 11:04 AM
It would be funny to have a small chance of that happening :D
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#39 Old 3rd Jun 2021 at 2:20 AM
Ok, guys, I have finished this and it is available for testing: https://modthesims.info/showthread....2&cb=1622682823
#40 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 12:12 AM
Ahhh amazing! Well worth the wait. I always look forward to your mods. I will be testing this thank you
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#41 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 6:54 PM
In case anyone is following this thread and not the other one, this has been posted: https://modthesims.info/d/658001/surrogate-hack.html It's got a few small improvements from the one in the creator feedback forum.
Page 2 of 2