Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 6:06 PM
Default How do i make a rabbit hole?
I'm a bit confused, i did a little (almost insignificant ) on what a rabbit hole is and i found out that it is exactly what i need.

i know that you can place them into your world like any other object but the premade rabbit holes are far too large, i have a very small and limited space (it's an island so doing everything almost all over again wouldn't be worth the effort). I need to create a hole and assign it as a rabbit hole. It's not that simple i understand, but would it be possible to make a building like this to become a rabbit hole of my choice (a hospitable)

Good day to you and that you for the help.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st Dec 2009 at 6:19 PM
What you can do is build an interesting looking shell - with no rooms inside, just the outside appearance and decoration. Then place one of these objects:

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=376414

The object will still function as a rabbit hole (sims will disappear into it) but it uses much less space and lets you build your own lots. Just try to keep your building simple, so your neighborhood runs well - don't furnish lots inside that don't need it.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Eminence Grise
#3 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 12:22 AM
Just to expand on what HP said, the in-game rabbit holes are large meshes... they aren't buildings constructed with the game's build tools. So you can't "convert" a house you build into a rabbit hole. You can however supply the rabbit-hole functionality with one of Melissa Mel's objects instead, and put that in a house or whatever.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 12:40 AM
it sounds a lot simpler then i thought it would be. I'm also a bit confused, do they work like the spawner objects do in the way that they are invisible? Close to the end, do i just place the rabbit hole sign i want on the property i want it to be?
(a hospital sign on a hospital community lot) And relating to that, what about things like the school which doesn't have a community lot designated to it?
Forum Resident
#5 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 1:43 AM
This is how I did it for Sunset Valley. I built the police station and placed the rabbithole object inside (the small blue squares I circled in the first picture). The sims walk in, go to the blue object on the right and disappear into the rabbithole. When they're done they appear at the square on the left. Make sure nothing is between the two ends or it won't work (you can see the area between them is clear). I furnished my station, but really all you need to do is place some stuff near the windows and add some lights. The second picture is the view from outside.

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Instructor
#6 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 4:18 AM
If you choose to use MelissaMel's rabbit hole markers be sure to read her policy first to avoid legal troubles.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 6:35 AM
That's just common courtesy, of course, and applies to all custom content and not just Melissa's. As for that, legal troubles is a bit of an exaggeration. We can't really own this stuff we're uploading, as much as we'd like to. The only real recourse we have is site upload policy and our own conscious. But yeah, I'd be pretty pissed if someone stole my stuff so I definately see where you're coming from.

I'm actually doing my neighborhood without any custom content and if I were to add custom rabbitholes (like replacing that ugly hospital that looks more like a packing crate than a medical center) I would upload them seperately with instructions on how to add them to my world. It seems much simpler that way. That way the list of CC people have to download and install is attached to a building and not the world.

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#8 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 10:30 AM
MelissaMel's policies aren't a big deal - just upload your neighborhood and link to her rabbit holes if you've used them so people can download them separately. For a neighborhood I'd keep the CC minimal but one thing to download doesn't seem like that big a deal. IMO, I'd rather just get whatever I need for the hood all at once rather than downloading replacement lots.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#9 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 10:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NekoCat
that ugly hospital that looks more like a packing crate than a medical center

It's a darn sight more attractive than my local hospital! http://www.ealinghospital.nhs.uk/

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Theorist
#10 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 4:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
It's a darn sight more attractive than my local hospital! http://www.ealinghospital.nhs.uk/

And its not even in Ealing
I live in west london too
My local hospital, Hammersmith, is actually miles from Hammersmith

sorry back on topic

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Forum Resident
#11 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 5:18 PM
Well if a little bit of CC is okay, I'm happy then. I'll probably replace that hospital then. I was worried that CC wouldn't be accepted on CAW uploads. Luckily, the rest of rabbitholes actually fit okay with Venice since the overall architecture is square and under five stories.

Inge, when I saw the picture of your hospital I got this vision of a man driving his wife - who is in labor - around looking for a hospital and passing it a dozen times because it looks like an office building.

Lab Assistant
#12 Old 1st Jan 2010 at 5:24 PM
My local hospital is Hammersmith too, and once when taking a friend to A&E (it turned out fine) we took the bus to... Hammersmith, only to cross the river and realise we should have taken it in the opposite direction. The front building is pretty, though

Without the rabbit hole markers I can't imagine any sort of small (especially island) neighbourhood being possible - both in terms of actual space and just for atmosphere - it'd be a bit weird having a school or hospital that takes up a quarter of all the land.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 2nd Jan 2010 at 11:47 AM
Can't you also use the tills from WA to make shops? I did this with the Bistro and it worked alright.
Eminence Grise
#14 Old 2nd Jan 2010 at 10:57 PM
Yes, but you won't get any of the other rabbithole functions -- part-time jobs, part ownership, opportunities etc -- and it only works for some of the tills. The General Store till, for instance, doesn't work in base neighborhoods at all afaik.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 17th Jan 2010 at 10:32 PM
Thank you so much for all this info!!!

~ Nyn ~
Test Subject
#16 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 12:11 PM
sorry to disturb
okay so hi. Where exactly do you fine the rabbit holes when you have installed them in the game?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 8:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by divadollface
Where exactly do you fine the rabbit holes when you have installed them in the game?

That is explained in the download thread.

However, you might like to try the rabbithole rugs from this site instead:
http://customsims3.com/forums/forum-31.html
As they are updated.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 10:35 PM
You could also always use Rabbit Hole Rugs, those don't need a free path.

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Test Subject
#19 Old 4th Jul 2012 at 6:22 PM
this is late bet u can still use jynx's rabbit holes rugs and doors theres and update and patch for it i dont know if it shows ur sim can go inside and u can see them or play as the when they go inside they might just disappear

MS.K MODDING
d:
Test Subject
#20 Old 11th Sep 2014 at 3:08 PM
Well..It depends on what kind of RabbitHole u mean...
U wanna make ur own "Police Station" and things like that OR you wanna take the in-game ones?
Cause if you want the In-Game ones, you need to use cheats.
U press CTRL+SHIFT+C
U type there testingcheatsenabled true
Then do it again but instead type moveobjects on
After that, in build mode how I remember theres a section that allows you to place the buildings, and the "moveobjects" cheat allows you to put it anywhere in the lot.
I hope this helps you.